• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT5| DARKNESS! NO MONEY! (or Break the Rules! Mix the Bags!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fowler

I'm not a modular guy, but every new modular manages to wow me even more than the last. The details in this set are incredible.

R-User!

GASP! Semicircle tiles! And in varying sizes to boot! Perfect for going around edges. Not the pie piece ones (which are amazing), but the ones on the outside rim of the side buildings.

x46e3E5.jpg

That's been one of my most wanted piece types for years!

Did you also see the angled 1x2x2 tiles on the street level! Curved and angled corner tiles!

I think we can all agree that the modular buildings have transcend being just toys and are legitimate straight up art. Damn. That looks beautiful

mclem

As I mentioned in the Assembly Square OT but it's probably worth mentioning here, one thing I picked up from the blurb:

Collect and build an entire town with the LEGO Creator Expert Modular Building series 10243 Parisian Restaurant, 10246 Detective’s Office and 10251 Brick Bank.

Would it be safe to infer that that means the retirement of both Pet Shop and Palace Cinema before this is officially released?

(I literally just ordered both when Double Points hit EU)

ghostmind

As I mentioned in the Assembly Square OT but it's probably worth mentioning here, one thing I picked up from the blurb:

Would it be safe to infer that that means the retirement of both Pet Shop and Palace Cinema before this is officially released?

(I literally just ordered both when Double Points hit EU)

Not necessarily - LEGO has thrown up false flags before about set retirement.

I would endeavor to get both of these sets ASAP though.

Ponn

Banned
Official reveal may have been pushed out for a couple more hours. Not that it matters that much, but it will still be a while for the press release (and hopefully designer video).

EDIT: I've seen the designer video, and it is a Jamie set. No word on this being the last entry in the series however. I literally can't share the video right now, but it should be available in the next couple hours.

5BYJvl5.jpg

Look at that smug ass guy sitting there with a GG and CC sitting behind him. Pfffftt. Harrrumph.

Wait so are you or are you NOT able to separate the different parts and re-arrange them then? If not, then maybe the Lego store guy i talked to had it wrong? He may have SEEN it and wrongly assumed you could separate them like Pet Shop halves. Well either way, after the designer video we shall know for sure!

Wait so are you or are you NOT able to separate the different parts and re-arrange them then? If not, then maybe the Lego store guy i talked to had it wrong? He may have SEEN it and wrongly assumed you could separate them like Pet Shop halves. Well either way, after the designer video we shall know for sure!

You can't. Look closer at the big pictures, and you see it is a 32x32 baseplate combined with a 16x32. The tiles for the curb crossover the gap as well.

It is just a wider footprint than other modulars, but same depth.

E823f9s.jpg

You can't. Look closer at the big pictures, and you see it is a 32x32 baseplate combined with a 16x32. The tiles for the curb crossover the gap as well.

It is just a wider footprint than other modulars, but same depth.

E823f9s.jpg

Yeah, now i see it... well damn, that's kind of a bummer then.

I loved that Pet Shop feature, at least that way not every city would look the exact same way!

ninge

Updated prices:

US $279.99 - CA $329.99 - DE 239.99€ - UK £169.99 - DK 2099.00 DKK

That uk price is insanely good considering the current exchange rates! $280 USD is currently £229 GBP meaning we get it in the U.K. for only $208 if that is correct! Pre-ordering ASAP ;-)

Awesome! Absolutely will get it.

Regarding rumors of this being for last one, I hope that is true. However, it should be a hiatus and not the end of the theme. Kinda how LEGO does non-evergreen themes like space.

A hiatus would be the best of both worlds. Gives people and wallets a break for those that have most sets. A temporary break and return would raise demand for existing sets and create excitement for a return in the future in a few years. Return would benefit those that missed out on most of them.

Maybe a shift to more modern building architecture for a return.

2 of these sets sounds kind of nice right now, parts pack wise; and their only 7¢ per piece!

Only 7¢!

Hmmm...most modulars can be expanded in size by buying multiples. This set would be very interesting to see how expansion would work. Seems like one would need 4x to properly expand it. :)

I feel like my modular town doesn't have enough residential space. I want to make an apartment building, or maybe extra floors for the buildings with rooms above stores.

If I have some free time, I might want to give it a shot and design a Mini-Modular version of this set that's to-scale with the official ones. So far I've done the Pet Shop (based on an image online that didnt have instructions for a long time), Town Hall (based on someone else's design that wasn't the proper scale), and the Cinema (which I did all myself, but there are others that did some parts better than mine).

I love the Mini Modular set and even thought it's been a bummer LEGO hasn't made more of them, the ones I've designed have been a lot of fun to do. I haven't physically built any yet, but it's a project I plan I doing someday. It'll probably be a nightmare to order the pieces I need for them, so it'll be better to do it in in 2 larger groups instead of one at a time.
i am certain that someone will figure out a way to mod it.

Oh yeah, I doubt it would take too much work. It doesn't look like it would be difficult to make either of the edge buildings into 16x32 corner sets, especially the coffee shop since it's completely separated.

Toys r us having 20 percent off sale on Legos might get me to buy a set

Make sure to compare prices to MSRP. Toys R Us is notorious for pricing sets well over MSRP. So much that 20% off gets the price down to MSRP. They do have a lot more sets at MSRP nowadays so you can get good deals if you shop and compare.

LEGO website or Brickset is great for checking MSRP.

TheFlow

Banned
Make sure to compare prices to MSRP. Toys R Us is notorious for pricing sets well over MSRP. So much that 20% off gets the price down to MSRP. They do have a lot more sets at MSRP nowadays so you can get good deals if you shop and compare.

LEGO website or Brickset is great for checking MSRP.

didn't even know this

Ponn

Banned
Updated prices:

US $279.99 - CA $329.99 - DE 239.99€ - UK £169.99 - DK 2099.00 DKK

Thanks to double VIP month i'm getting this for like half the price. Hmmm...I still have like 2 weeks though so maybe I can order more stuff and just get it for free, right?

Sure the Modular is really cool but can we talk about this for a minute:

Cu56evQUkAAP-MA.jpg

I don't know if its ironically funny or totally awesome that this is going to be the best Sonic game in a very long time.

Sure the Modular is really cool but can we talk about this for a minute:

Cu56evQUkAAP-MA.jpg

We can, but in terms of actually getting those minifigs will most likely lead to disappointment. I'd be surprised if we get more than Tails (and that's a big if). I'm not familiar with that evil looking Sonic. If has same mould, then they may do that one as a trade show exclusive for the fans.
Being facetious regard anti-Sonic in case someone didn't pick that up

didn't even know this

Neither do most consumers. Non-AFOL parents and grand parents looking for gifts don't know. I didn't know when I first got back into LEGO until I started price shopping and found Brickset. LEGO jacked up prices at TRU probably keeps them in business.

I wonder if the bootleggers will make the additional characters from Dimensions that Lego doesn't/won't. The family from ET, Sonic's Shitty Friends, Rowan from Ghostbusters 2016, and I'm sure there'll be more.

Makes me wonder why the hell they included some stupid brick-built demon that's not even in the movie in the GB16 set and not Rowan since they clearly had a design for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom