• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT5| DARKNESS! NO MONEY! (or Break the Rules! Mix the Bags!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
UK heads up: Smyths have the £5-off-£20, £10-off-£50, £20-off-£100 deal up again. Most notable thing I can pick out for now is the Bucket Wheel Excavator which goes down to £130 with these.

(Just realised, that also effectively matches Asda's price on the Porsche)

Classic Batcave works out at £160.

They do also have the Yellow Submarine up for £49.99, so if you can find something very cheap to add to that, you could get it for £40 - although you'll have to collect from a physical store, looks like there's none in stock for online.

Does the discount go ahead when you purchase? I'm not seeing it applied unless there's some code I need to enter.
EDIT: Used "TS5" as the code.

Brick Friday will probably be a few baseplates or something since I just ordered Sandcrawler off of Amazon today since it was $60+ off. There are no other sets I am waiting for. But getting some more 48x48 plates will help with other things.

I was considering getting the Sandcrawler as well with it being on sale and retiring soon. Decisions...

Argh! No new Pick-A-Brick selection for Build-A-Model or whatever it's called. Hopefully they'll get a shipment soon. I need a fix of bulk LEGO pieces that I don't have. Next time I will call first.
Picked up Yellow Sub and got free ornament thingy.

iosefe

What's the new stuff.

1x1 4 way snot brick in black,
Modified 1 x 2 with Grill in black,
1 x 2 x 1 1/3 with Curved Top in white,
1x2 plate with hinge bars on both ends, and corresponding 1x2 plate with hook on one side, both in black.
1x4 rising curve slope, no studs in black,
cheese wedges in black,
Angle Plate 1X2 / 2X2 in black
1x1 plate w/ tooth in i think bright light orange
1x2 jumper plate in black

thats all the interesting stuff i can remember of the top of my head

*edit* in hindsight, thats all the interesting parts, there are 4 more pieces, 1x2 white birkc, and 3 holdovers from the previous assortment, 2x2 plate black, 1x1 round plate, and 1x1 round tile

1x2 plate with hinge bars on both ends, and corresponding 1x2 plate with hook on one side, both in black.
cheese wedges in black,

*edit* in hindsight, thats all the interesting parts, there are 4 more pieces, 1x2 white birkc, and 3 holdovers from the previous assortment, 2x2 plate black, 1x1 round plate, and 1x1 round tile

Meh. Stuff that was there earlier in the year. Although the double sided hinge parts are very nice to see, as those haven't shown up in a lot of sets in general.

Mr Mike

1 million Canadian dollars
cheese wedges in black,

This is all for the penguin Pick-A-Model, right?

hmm should I pick up the beatles yellow sub now or wait for sales during the holiday season

Think I'll wait since im in no rush
Just a hunch, but I think this will go backorder pretty quick, much like Disney Castle did.
It is just a hunch, but when you have a set like this that crosses over into the main pop culture consciousness, it tends to be harder to find in the holiday season. Combine that with it having a lower price point compared to things like Disney Castle or Ghostbusters HQ, and you have a recipe for a hard to find item during the holiday season.

I might be wrong, but this is all just a hunch. Get it while its hot.

Sounds like a few good new pieces in PAB wall, but not stuff to bulk up on. Probably barely fill up a large cup. Must have been shipping issues with my local LEGO store only it seems.

EDIT: Ah, image was in Oct calendar. I was hoping it was the 90 degree 1x1 with tooth. Looks like I won't be able to fill up a small cup with the new PAM parts, unless that 1x1 round tile is white and not the light grey one they've had before (looks light grey in photo - just wishful thinking on my part).

Have to wait another 3 months for a refresh. Sigh.

2hU5Cbe.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Speaking of CrazyBricks, it looks like he has a new kickstarter project.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/crazybricks/mascot-bricks-crazy-characters-for-you-favorite-br

VR2iBrI.jpg

I have little interest in this project. I do like the Gentleman Nut (Mr. Peanut) a bit. Pizza guy is nice, but I'll hold out for LEGO doing one. I can imagine LEGO doing a pizza guy if CMF's go on long enough since they already did a hot dog guy.

If he ever sells the Mouse Guard heads again, I highly recommend them. By far the best project he's done IMO.

Does anyone else greatly prefer the mascot heads that actually cover the Minifig's face instead of the newer trend with the giant window?

Edit: Actually, looking at a group picture it seems like the window's been around since the beginning, huh. I just like the Gorilla/Shark/Panda/Dinosaur way of doing it better, with the window it makes the head so tall and weird looking to me. The only one I think looks ok like that is the Unicorn since horses have long necks.

Fowler

Does anyone else greatly prefer the mascot heads that actually cover the Minifig's face instead of the newer trend with the giant window?

Edit: Actually, looking at a group picture it seems like the window's been around since the beginning, huh. I just like the Gorilla/Shark/Panda/Dinosaur way of doing it better, with the window it makes the head so tall and weird looking to me. The only one I think looks ok like that is the Unicorn since horses have long necks.

Ehh, depends on the face. We've had some good faces with some of these mascots.

Rootbeer

Banned
Haven't purchased any LEGO since my (nearly free) Disney Castle a month ago. Having a brief break while I wait for the LEGO Batman Movie stuff to hit has been really nice! Need to fill the coffers back up!

wetwired

Haven't purchased any LEGO since my (nearly free) Disney Castle a month ago. Having a brief break while I wait for the LEGO Batman Movie stuff to hit has been really nice! Need to fill the coffers back up!

hmm good point about Batman movie coming soon. I was gonna spend my VIP points on the VW Beatle and perhaps the VW Van before it goes away but I may hold off.

Does anyone have the general head number for bricks and pieces which gets you all the available heads? Found the body (88585) and legs 88584, but can not find the general head number anywhere anymore.

wetwired

I've made some progress on my Modular Park, updates to the design along with experimenting with exporting it into Unity, some pieces didn't survive the export (some torsos) but it's coming along

Screenshot%202016-11-02%2023.05.53.jpg

Cindres

Ordered a bunch of train track while it's reduced on Amazon, I feel this is a slippery slope where I'm gonna spend a lot of time on my floor making train tracks like a child.

It's gonna be great

Very tempted to get the high speed train from Smyths for £55, that price for a train, track and all motor functions is a real good deal... Especially when LEGO's rechargeable battery is like £40

Ordered a bunch of train track while it's reduced on Amazon, I feel this is a slippery slope where I'm gonna spend a lot of time on my floor making train tracks like a child.

It's gonna be great

Very tempted to get the high speed train from Smyths for £55, that price for a train, track and all motor functions is a real good deal... Especially when LEGO's rechargeable battery is like £40

Even if I haven't put the motor on my train, I can confirm you will spend a lot of time laying out track like a kid. Spent a whole night doing it, but have yet to motorize a train, lol.

Cindres

Even if I haven't put the motor on my train, I can confirm you will spend a lot of time laying out track like a kid. Spent a whole night doing it, but have yet to motorize a train, lol.

Are you just pushing them around the track? I spent like 15 minutes doing that when I put together the holiday train at the weekend because the motor didn't arrive until yesterday.

Are you just pushing them around the track? I spent like 15 minutes doing that when I put together the holiday train at the weekend because the motor didn't arrive until yesterday.

I only put the main engine from the holiday train on and pushed around to check the track layout.

I just wish they still made the cross track piece so I could have an X going through the middle of it all.

I've made some progress on my Modular Park, updates to the design along with experimenting with exporting it into Unity, some pieces didn't survive the export (some torsos) but it's coming along

Screenshot%202016-11-02%2023.05.53.jpg

Pretty cool. Why Unity if I may ask? Do you need realtime rendering? Have you tried POV or Bluerender?

Cindres

I only put the main engine from the holiday train on and pushed around to check the track layout.

I just wish they still made the cross track piece so I could have an X going through the middle of it all.

Bricklink? Or I've seen it from second hand sellers on Amazon UK, might get one... will see how I get on with what I've bought. I do find it a bit sad there's little in the way of track variety; straight, curved, switchers and flex, that's all you're getting.

ninge

You can easily make your own crossover track from two straight pieces, a sharp knife and some plastic cement :) Will post pics of mine when I get home if you want? Just use other bits of lego to temporarily hold the cut parts together while it glues to ensure exact spacing etc.

I've also modified a couple of points to make the branch track match two sections of curved track. Allowing me to have switches in the corners of my layout. Cheating? maybe... but it works beautifully!

Click image to make it bigger - You can just about see in this pic how the track curves away smoothly from the switch to the right in front of the tram. Shame it doesn't sit flat on top of the studs at the side of the road. Not really sure what to do about that, so any ideas would be welcome! (as much as I don't mind chopping up bits of track, I don't really wanna take a knife to the base boards under the curves!

And yes the track does hang over the table edge slightly as it heads off to the right, I can live with it, it's only by about 1.5 studs :p

You can easily make your own crossover track from two straight pieces, a sharp knife and some plastic cement :) Will post pics of mine when I get home if you want? Just use other bits of lego to temporarily hold the cut parts together while it glues to ensure exact spacing etc.

I've also modified a couple of points to make the branch track match two sections of curved track. Allowing me to have switches in the corners of my layout. Cheating? maybe... but it works beautifully!

Click image to make it bigger - You can just about see in this pic how the track curves away smoothly from the switch to the right in front of the tram. Shame it doesn't sit flat on top of the studs at the side of the road. Not really sure what to do about that, so any ideas would be welcome! (as much as I don't mind chopping up bits of track, I don't really wanna take a knife to the base boards under the curves!

And yes the track does hang over the table edge slightly as it heads off to the right, I can live with it, it's only by about 1.5 studs :p

......... you do know that in many AFOL groups you would get outcast for cutting parts, right?

I don't particularly mind (since I've redesigned a bunch of minifigs myself) but it's frowned upon, especially for exhibitions.

ninge

......... you do know that in many AFOL groups you would get outcast for cutting parts, right?.

Wow, that seems... like taking yourself a tad too seriously maybe?

I guess I can see why from a purely modelling viewpoint it would be bad (half the fun of making lego models is building within the restrictions) but I've had model railways my whole life (I currently have a 16mm steam loco that runs around my garden :)) so cutting track to fit is just what you do! Especially when space is so limited, getting all our modulars in and having space for a railway too was becoming a huge issue before I modified the switches. Good job I wasn't planning on exhibiting our layout :p

Wow, that seems... like taking yourself a tad too seriously maybe?

I guess I can see why from a purely modelling viewpoint it would be bad (half the fun of making lego models is building within the restrictions) but I've had model railways my whole life (I currently have a 16mm steam loco that runs around my garden :)) so cutting track to fit is just what you do! Especially when space is so limited, getting all our modulars in and having space for a railway too was becoming a huge issue before I modified the switches. Good job I wasn't planning on exhibiting our layout :p

Well, building legal is a big thing with Lego. I mean, if you had a 2x6 plate and needed to fill a 2x5 gap, would you cut the part or find another combination? Like you, I came into Lego from a modelling background and while some liked my figures, most were :/

Then you should have seen when I had a bunch of them over for a visit, and another fairly casual guy joined in and started speaking about cutting parts. You could feel the temperature in the room drop :D

Now though, I think most of the fun of Lego is bending over backwards to make the parts do some crazy thing you've thought of. Building oversized Chima weapons is also more fun than just cutting and painting a weapon to look exactly right.

And I wonder... those Lego rulers don't use a standard Lego baseplate - Jang speculated that they might be cut to size from larger plates. So "legal" depends on what you really need to do. I remember seeing a chart of what different people consider okay.

Hagi

Pet shop or detectives office? The former seems to be out of stock on the UK Lego store but I'm considering it all the same. This would be my first modular.

Both. Does that help?

Open face mascots are more fun to interchange with other minfigs. Can't make a full Deadpool Unicorn or Hulk Hotdog with closed mascot heads.

Closed faced mascots are more like Chima where the minifigs can pass for anthropomorphic animals.

Both are good in their own way, but I have more fun with open faces mascots.

I consider the lizard mascot a mix. Hope they do more like that. I put in a black minifig head and it can pass for a lizard man as opposed to a guy in a lizard suit.

LOL, I forgot to specify this was just the Police sets.

Though you aren't far from the truth...

If you add the firemen sets, it will be 95% of the truth...

But police and firemen themes will always be a huge part of the Lego City sets (as with Playmobil or any other toy line) because it seems that thise themes are popular with boys since 1900 something (or someone decided that it is trurh and no one dares ti defy it). It would be cool to have some selling numbers to test this theory. But something says to me that even if we have the numbers they won't tell the whole truth anyway because maybe kids are buying those sets due to the lack of options and huge selection if them.

Shame because City line vould be much more. Creator and Friends lines are doing what City don't...

Ponn

Banned
LEGO CITY 2017: Everything was criminals.

Well, the prices on the city sets are starting to become a rip off. Maybe its some meta thing.

Those first couple small sets though look like really good cheap parts/fig sets. You get a safe with gold bars and dolly then you get a really nice ATM build.

Cindres

To chip back in on the cutting talk.
I totally get building within the restrictions, cutting regulD blocks and whatnot seems crazy to me, you can usually just find the block you actually need anyway. However, cutting track? Eh, there's not. Lot of variety in the track Lego sell so that I can get, plus it feels different to me as it's not really for the construction of... Models and such?

I remember years ago (1991) that I had a Lego Doctors Car. It was a van basically. But I am surprised how there is always Police and Fire brigade sets every year but never a hospital Line.

If I had the spare cash and erm talent I would try a Hospital Modular...

I remember years ago (1991) that I had a Lego Doctors Car. It was a van basically. But I am surprised how there is always Police and Fire brigade sets every year but never a hospital Line.

If I had the spare cash and erm talent I would try a Hospital Modular...

Welp, the upcoming Assembly square has a dentist place for what it's worth (hidden in there somewhere i think)

crpav

We need pirates and knights/kingdoms/castles back NOW!

Kick myself for not getting any of them when they had them. Way back as a young kid always wanted the original 2 ships but too poor to get them.

Rootbeer

Banned
We need pirates and knights/kingdoms/castles back NOW!

Kick myself for not getting any of them when they had them. Way back as a young kid always wanted the original 2 ships but too poor to get them.

new Pirates film soon. It may not be Classic Pirates (like the most recent Pirates wave) but we should still get some really nice stuff out of it.

I guess Nexo Knights is kind of a neo-Castle theme stand-in so we probably won't get any medieval stuff until it goes away. Just my thoughts on the matter.

If you are wanting some more classic-looking pirates or castle stuff, and don't already have the most recent ones they released over the last few years, you should really look around online because most of them can still be had for around retail price. Pirate ship might be an exception

Rootbeer

Banned
speaking of rumors, Ninjago might be going Evergreen. expected, i think

Quite the turn around, considering LEGO wanted to retire it a few years ago.

Or was it their plan all along to phase it out and see if people screamed to have it back? Didn't work out quite so well for Bionicle, though.

iosefe

when chima bombed and Ninjago really took off, it probaly said enough. we shall see in a year i guess once the movie is done

also, bionicle...the wounds are still fresh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom