• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT5| DARKNESS! NO MONEY! (or Break the Rules! Mix the Bags!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't see why it would be. It got 10k votes as it is, and passed review as it is.

I've no idea who's going to buy it but I'm sure it's not going to change much.
It has many small beautiful details which drive up the piece count and price.
The market is the same people who buy Creator Log Cabins, Tree Houses and Family Houses.

Just finished the Caterham...

The actual model looks great when done, i like it at least as much as the Beetle which my wife built simultaneously. The build however is kind of shoddy in some places. The cockpit area doesn't really clip into place at all and is always subject to displacement whenever you touch it a little harder for instance. The trunk isn't a snug fit either and just sits there, the bars on top do not connect to the rollover prevention thingy and so on.

TLDR, you can REALLY tell this model was made for display only, as it is a LOT less sturdy than all the previous Creator cars i have built! Looks good though :)

2su605e.jpg

MakYPYz.jpg

Well yeah, and these are why people voted for it. If they stripped them all out then they'd lose all those sales.

As for the market, I assume it's going to be vastly more expensive than those sets. Still, I dunno how well Ideas sets sell in general so I've no real idea where it will fit on the scale, it could well end up being a successful Ideas set when compared to others, it just seems really obscure as a "theme" to me, as pretty as the set itself is.

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
A few days ago I posted stock of the Disney CMFs were showing up at various retail stores and LEGO shop @ home. Nobody commented so I assumed most people already got what they wanted.

Are there people here that are missing any Disney CMFs? I recommend jumping on them as we don't know how much supply this 2nd batch is.
I had problems completing my collection so I had to Bricklink the remaining 10.

Good to know for spares though- i'd still like multiples for the skirt and hair pieces - might be a while before they appear anywhere else.

I don't see why it would be. It got 10k votes as it is, and passed review as it is.

I've no idea who's going to buy it but I'm sure it's not going to change much.

I sure hope they keep it the same, its details are important.

The market is the same people who buy Creator Log Cabins, Tree Houses and Family Houses.

Basicaly, me. I like them. The Fishing Store will be great to start a seaside littke village, that could be a great display. The author other 3 projects on Ideas fits the theme. I am sure they would not be approved anymore (aside the reparing boats shop, which I did not like, the others are incredible) but I would love if he share the projects later (before the awful chinese companies copycat them...)

wetwired

I am expecting the final Fishing Store to be nerfed significantly.

I think the only reason "Autumn Park" won't be produced is if TLG hold a misconception about what AFOL expect from a Modular set namely, a substantial edifice.

Obviously, I hope this is not the case.

I consider The Tumbler a moral victory for Brent since it was put into production shortly after it was knocked back.

Yeah I was putting together the ideas page for the park today and was tempted to recreate a box for it like the modular lines but realized although it doesn't really look bad from the front, it doesn't display cleanly like a building does.

I literally just finished the Disney Castle, I wasn't very impressed with the pics but in person it is far more impressive. It's guilty of a lot of repetition in areas and has a pet peeve of mine. Building a component over several pages then discovering you have to build the exact same thing but mirrored. I really wish they had a mirrored symbol or something on it so you can knock out the other side at the same time.

Unlike the Batcave however the castle is severly lacking minifigs, 5 for a $500 set? (AUD) Ghostbusters HQ is the same price and had 9. Batcave was $100 cheaper and had 9 as well.

Gimmie a Goofy, Pluto or even just a Sorcerers Apprentice Mickey, you have his hat FFS, how hard would it be to throw in a full costume?

Just finished the Caterham...

The actual model looks great when done, i like it at least as much as the Beetle which my wife built simultaneously. The build however is kind of shoddy in some places. The cockpit area doesn't really clip into place at all and is always subject to displacement whenever you touch it a little harder for instance. The trunk isn't a snug fit either and just sits there, the bars on top do not connect to the rollover prevention thingy and so on.

TLDR, you can REALLY tell this model was made for display only, as it is a LOT less sturdy than all the previous Creator cars i have built! Looks good though :)
]

And that was after Lego redesign it, removing the turnable wheels (and turning the model less atractive in my eyes). I wonder how fragile was the original Ideas model....

Wetwired, mind I ask you what you do for living? I mean, your job? Your custom webstore and Lego designs are side projects or actually your means of incoming?

wetwired

Wetwired, mind I ask you what you do for living? I mean, your job? Your custom webstore and Lego designs are side projects or actually your means of incoming?

I'm a 3D artist, specializing in Environment Art for video games. Currently at and one of the co-founder of 5 Lives Studios

Supported, great looking set! That's actually more in line with what I thought they were going to do with what became Assembly Square--a more open area that would break up the modular buildings block.

I wasn't expecting the project to be approved til later in the week but I just got an email saying the park is ready to go!

2719436-o_1b0rmdfftd11dpap2g1sqe12hsc-full.jpg

Supported!

I think it has a good chance. It's a very nice MOC. It doesn't necessarily have to be a "LEGO Ideas Modular" as some are thinking here. I think it stands well on it's own as a park set and displays well. The fact it fits well with modulars is just a bonus. Lacks in play features, but I'm sure a few stud shooters would fix that.

Supported a few others while I was at it. Glad to see the Pop-up book is well on it's way to reaching 10k.

Supported Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. Not sure it will pass as that version is very nostalgic, and most kids don't know that version. But, it may appeal to kids as they are used to having different versions of Power Rangers every few years and movie will garner interest. I'm not sure what helmet he used for the minifigs as I don't see any visor lines.

Supported Flinstones mainly for minifigs.

I don't remember the staff picks list. Kinda surprised Guardians of the Galaxy ''The Milano'' XL was approved.

Supported LEGO Anger. I like it but I feel like I'd like the rest of the characters to go with it.

I wish there was more filtering options. I'd like to filter by the criteria they use such as number of supporters to filter past a lot of the "noise" projects. I don't want to be mean as I like that LEGO Ideas accept projects that are obviously done by kids and will very unlikely get the needed votes to pass the first time checkpoint just from looking at them.

LEGO Ideas has made quite a few sets already. It's a great way to engage the LEGO community and crowdsource work.

EDIT: Supported Stitch. I'd go broke if LEGO did a lot more of those brick built IP characters.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Man Wetwired, all your things are great. Did you ever actually apply at Lego?

You're the reason my Ecto-1 will always be a reminder for GAF to me :D

Supported it today too. Minifigs and the car have great potential. The house is a little bit meh but for sure Lego designers can improve it.

EDIT: Supported Stitch. I'd go broke if LEGO did a lot more of those brick built IP characters.

Thanks for bringing tbis to my attention!

Edited: Wait!!! This is not the Flintstones idea that I supported this morning. And they are pratically the same! Figures, house and car. Wondering is one of them is a copycat... I will double check it later at my pc. And support only the original.

Osahi

Supported the park offcourse.
Supported!

I think it has a good chance. It's a very nice MOC. It doesn't necessarily have to be a "LEGO Ideas Modular" as some are thinking here. I think it stands well on it's own as a park set and displays well. The fact it fits well with modulars is just a bonus. Lacks in play features, but I'm sure a few stud shooters would fix that.

Supported a few others while I was at it. Glad to see the Pop-up book is well on it's way to reaching 10k.

Supported Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. Not sure it will pass as that version is very nostalgic, and most kids don't know that version. But, it may appeal to kids as they are used to having different versions of Power Rangers every few years and movie will garner interest. I'm not sure what helmet he used for the minifigs as I don't see any visor lines.

I don't remember the staff picks list. Kinda surprised Guardians of the Galaxy ''The Milano'' XL was approved.

Supported LEGO Anger. I like it but I feel like I'd like the rest of the characters to go with it.

I wish there was more filtering options. I'd like to filter by the criteria they use such as number of supporters to filter past a lot of the "noise" projects. I don't want to be mean as I like that LEGO Ideas accept projects that are obviously done by kids and will very unlikely get the needed votes to pass the first time checkpoint just from looking at them.

LEGO Ideas has made quite a few sets already. It's a great way to engage the LEGO community and crowdsource work.

Can you vote for vintage tram too if you haven't. I'd love this to get approved, as I love trams and adore Portugal...

Supported the park offcourse.

Can you vote for vintage tram too if you haven't. I'd love this to get approved, as I love trams and adore Portugal...

I took a look and it looks worthwhile to support. Supported.

Man, I can't wait to see if Voltron set gets approved or not. I'll buy 3 at least. 1 for a gift for my sister, 1 for me, and one for investment or future gift. I will be totally bummed out if it doesn't get made. If builder releases instructions, I'll live without minifigs which is a must if the set gets made. I'll pay extra $20-$30 easily to have the minifigs.

Supported it today too. Minifigs and the car have great potential. The house is a little bit meh but for sure Lego designers can improve it.

Thanks for bringing tbis to my attention!

Edited: Wait!!! This is not the Flintstones idea that I supported this morning. And they are pratically the same! Figures, house and car. Wondering is one of them is a copycat... I will double check it later at my pc. And support only the original.

That Stitch model is awesome on so many levels. Once again, those small ball joints shows how much of a game changer they are. The Stitch model is so posable (13 points of articulation) it captures so many poses from the movie wonderfully.

Let me know which Flintstones it was. I came across that and the other 2 "similar" projects linked on the side weren't as good IMO. I went with which had the best minfig designs and best chance of being made. Some put way to many pieces for the house for it to be reasonably priced. It's hard to say if they are copying directly or not as idea isn't original. Design of the car could have some copying, but again, no way to know unless it was some obscure brilliant building technique used. Remember, Wetwired I don't think was the first to put out the Ecto-1 on Cuusoo/LEGO Ideas. They were different enough though that it was obvious they weren't copies of each other.

wetwired

Supported!

The new rule that it must reach 100 votes in 60s days does help filter out some of the kids stuff compared to what it used to be like

Plum

My Pet Shop order has been sitting at "Your Parcel will be with us Soon" on Yodel for the entire weekend and it's supposed to arrive tomorrow. Really wish Lego would stop using that damned courier service, though I guess it's my fault for being cheap.

Plum

Is this you?

It will be tomorrow.

I don't know about you but when I've got a big-ticket set like this arriving it's pretty much all I can think about. Thankfully now I live near a Lego Store and can get VIP points there I don't have to deal with online ordering anymore (though the atmosphere in those places always creeps me out, it's too friendly)

That Stitch model is awesome on so many levels. Once again, those small ball joints shows how much of a game changer they are. The Stitch model is so posable (13 points of articulation) it captures so many poses from the movie wonderfully.

Yes, that model is really great. I am quite new to Lego (like I come back to it just 4 months ago) and one of the models that I built recently was Creator Forest Animals. The monkey use that ball joints and it is also fully posable. I was amazed by it, it does not look like Lego, not the Lego I knew. That piece open a lot of possibilities, and I would be all over a line of Disney figures build like that (I can easily see Mickey and Minie).

Let me know which Flintstones it was. I came across that and the other 2 "similar" projects linked on the side weren't as good IMO. I went with which had the best minfig designs and best chance of being made. Some put way to many pieces for the house for it to be reasonably priced. It's hard to say if they are copying directly or not as idea isn't original. Design of the car could have some copying, but again, no way to know unless it was some obscure brilliant building technique used. Remember, Wetwired I don't think was the first to put out the Ecto-1 on Cuusoo/LEGO Ideas. They were different enough though that it was obvious they weren't copies of each other.

Well, I maybe have overreacted. Yes, several projects based on the same IP is very likeable. But yes, some "inspiration" can come from other projects too. Flinstones is an IP I have quite an interest, so it catch my eye.

And you are right that we should give support to the project that has to most chances to go through Lego review. So that is why I am a little bit uncertain of which support.

The project I mentioned that I have supported is this one:
https://ideas.lego.com/projects/157569

As you can see the projects were created very closed to each other, a matter of days, so it is hard to some "inspiration" have crossed from one to another.

But both projects shares the number of minifigures, house and car (which is understandable since those are the most recognized features from the IP).

I liked the figures in the project I pointed more because somehow the renditions of Fred, Wilma, Barney and Betty look better. Fred and Betty look specially worse in the project you mentioned (I cannot stand its Fred). However, Pebbles and Bamm-Bamm look incredible better in the project you share. But ultimately, Minifigures design would be something that TLC would improve a lot.

The House looks way more complex in the project I looked however there is something in the simplicity of your project that fits well. The car is also up to debate.

In resume, which one do you think should gather our support?

Like I said, I liked Flintstones a lot, and I wish TLC would make a line based on the IP, like they did with Scooby-Doo, not only an Ideas set. A set based on the quarry (with the working dinos) would be really cool. And speaking of dinos, Dino the "dog" is missing from both projects!

Edited: I just saw that the Flintstones project I linked was created by ThomasW, the same guy from Observatory Mountain View which is currently in Lego Review phase. But he already submitted another Flintstones set (with only figures and the car) that expired without much support (https://ideas.lego.com/projects/101800) which does not look too good for the success of the current one since the house is not its strongest point.

Yeah I was putting together the ideas page for the park today and was tempted to recreate a box for it like the modular lines but realized although it doesn't really look bad from the front, it doesn't display cleanly like a building does.
By the same token 1000 piece Creator sets usually go for around 90 USD (say 100 USD if they decide to pass-on your royalty + extra marketing costs to the end consumer). While Modular sets are getting more expensive (nearly double that).

So there's no real complaint if they aren't getting a huge structure. It's a great compliment set to the Modular series. Personally I would have named it "Central Park" just to imply that it belongs among the buildings.

I think it would look fantastic across the road from Assembly Square, tbh.

So there's no real complaint if they aren't getting a huge structure. It's a great compliment set to the Modular series. Personally I would have named it "Central Park" just to imply that it belongs among the buildings.

I think most people are familiar with the real Central Park, and would expect any set named that to be a recreation of it.

Supported, of course! It's actually the first thing I ever have, despite being a supporter of Ideas sets when they're released.

Well, I maybe have overreacted. Yes, several projects based on the same IP is very likeable. But yes, some "inspiration" can come from other projects too. Flinstones is an IP I have quite an interest, so it catch my eye.

And you are right that we should give support to the project that has to most chances to go through Lego review. So that is why I am a little bit uncertain of which support.

The project I mentioned that I have supported is this one:
https://ideas.lego.com/projects/157569

As you can see the projects were created very closed to each other, a matter of days, so it is hard to some "inspiration" have crossed from one to another.

But both projects shares the number of minifigures, house and car (which is understandable since those are the most recognized features from the IP).

I liked the figures in the project I pointed more because somehow the renditions of Fred, Wilma, Barney and Betty look better. Fred and Betty look specially worse in the project you mentioned (I cannot stand its Fred). However, Pebbles and Bamm-Bamm look incredible better in the project you share. But ultimately, Minifigures design would be something that TLC would improve a lot.

The House looks way more complex in the project I looked however there is something in the simplicity of your project that fits well. The car is also up to debate.

In resume, which one do you think should gather our support?

Like I said, I liked Flintstones a lot, and I wish TLC would make a line based on the IP, like they did with Scooby-Doo, not only an Ideas set. A set based on the quarry (with the working dinos) would be really cool. And speaking of dinos, Dino the "dog" is missing from both projects!

Edited: I just saw that the Flintstones project I linked was created by ThomasW, the same guy from Observatory Mountain View which is currently in Lego Review phase. But he already submitted another Flintstones set (with only figures and the car) that expired without much support (https://ideas.lego.com/projects/101800) which does not look too good for the success of the current one since the house is not its strongest point.

You can support both. :)
In the end, LEGO will modify the minifig prints to match the IP. ThomasW has quite a few projects. 35 active!!! and a bunch that have expired.
https://ideas.lego.com/profile/ThomasW/projects

A bunch of Flintstones projects appeared after they made an appearance on a Dimensions level.
You can support both. :)
In the end, LEGO will modify the minifig prints to match the IP. ThomasW has quite a few projects. 35 active!!! and a bunch that have expired.
https://ideas.lego.com/profile/ThomasW/projects
Some of his projects have been resubmitted including the Flintstones, others are slight variants of each other.

A bunch of Flintstones projects appeared after they made an appearance on a Dimensions level.

Some of his projects have been resubmitted including the Flintstones, others are slight variants of each other.

Which shows how stupid the entire thing is. "Hey Lego, I have a cool idea that you obviously didn't think about yet! I saw it in your licensed game, but you haven't made a set of it so clearly the idea didn't cross your mind."

And then they throw a tantrum when Lego steals their idea to release non-Ideas sets.

Flintstones are in Dimensions??

No minifigures but yeah, Flintstones and Jetsons are hidden in Dimensions. If you use the TARDIS you can travel back in time to Bedrock and explore their house, or go into the future and check out the Jetsons' house. Lego HAS to be planning something with them. At the least I'd expect them in Year 3 since that's the furthest (final?) we know they've planned, but I would hope for a Simpsons-esque Flintstones and Jetsons house sets.

wetwired

No minifigures but yeah, Flintstones and Jetsons are hidden in Dimensions. If you use the TARDIS you can travel back in time to Bedrock and explore their house, or go into the future and check out the Jetsons' house. Lego HAS to be planning something with them. At the least I'd expect them in Year 3 since that's the furthest (final?) we know they've planned, but I would hope for a Simpsons-esque Flintstones and Jetsons house sets.

I'd say that pretty much rules out any chance of any Ideas project being approved based on either if they have them planned for Dimensions

I'd say that pretty much rules out any chance of any Ideas project being approved based on either if they have them planned for Dimensions

I'd agree if it wasn't for the Adventure Time set that inexplicably got approved despite legit Adventure Time figures appearing in Dimensions. But I'd much, much prefer proper moulded heads over the face prints that an Ideas set would get.

I also really hope that like Lego Minecraft, we get real Lego Adventure Time sets after the Ideas one.

wetwired

I'd agree if it wasn't for the Adventure Time set that inexplicably got approved despite legit Adventure Time figures appearing in Dimensions. But I'd much, much prefer proper moulded heads over the face prints that an Ideas set would get.

I also really hope that like Lego Minecraft, we get real Lego Adventure Time sets after the Ideas one.

I thought adventure time was approved on ideas before it went to dimensions?

Osahi

Kylo Rens Shuttle is getting cheap lately. Was it ever worth a pickup or lost cause?

If you can look past the inaccuracies compared to the movie prop (the color and the inability for the wings to fold out), hell yes. It's a good ship, that looks great on display thanks to it's imposing size. I remember the build being fine too.

mclem

A somewhat odd request:

My Wall-E took a tumble the other day. I've mostly repaired him, but I've got one piece - a grey 2x2 flat with a shallow dome on top of it - that I'm not sure quite where it comes from. Is there any resource that cross-references the parts list with the build steps that use them, so I can look up each of the steps that uses that dome to try to find where it belongs?

Plum

More than halfway through November 7th (the day Yodel says my Pet Shop order will be delivered) and still it's not even at the depot. What the fuck, Lego/Yodel?

Flintstones has lots of potential as a LEGO theme especially since the comic has been successfully rebooted albeit with darker undertones.

Even though it would never happen a "Fred Flinstone witnesses the horrors of war" playset would be pretty hilarious.

Mr Mike

1 million Canadian dollars
A somewhat odd request:

My Wall-E took a tumble the other day. I've mostly repaired him, but I've got one piece - a grey 2x2 flat with a shallow dome on top of it - that I'm not sure quite where it comes from. Is there any resource that cross-references the parts list with the build steps that use them, so I can look up each of the steps that uses that dome to try to find where it belongs?

You could flick through an online version of the manual?

I recently added power functions to mine - sounds like the piece you're describing is one of the curved bow pieces that sits either side of the lower front of his body, next to the hinge - you can only see them when the door is open. I specifically remember this as I had to remove that to get a wire in place. (Or it's one of the parts inside his palm that holds it together.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom