• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT5| DARKNESS! NO MONEY! (or Break the Rules! Mix the Bags!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

wetwired

Stolen from Eurobricks, pic of the LBM Catwoman

30746639426_a059fc5793_b.jpg

I Just quickly googled to see if someone had "fixed" it and done a MOC using it as a basis, I can't find anything more than a thumbnail to an unrelated youtube video but someone has done a bit more with it...I wish I could find more pics.

mqdefault.jpg
That's taken from this video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGKzob8ug5w

There's also this:
http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/ind...7103-mod-classic-tv-series-batcave-set-76052/

The fact they also ripped-off the Batmobile design from this MOC is borderline scandalous
https://www.flickr.com/photos/legogzer0/15664049758/

Ponn

Banned
I'm sorry but can't look beyond the excessive use of stickers, "loose" computer panels, and lack of Wayne Manor.

The Classic TV series Batcave warranted something on par with the Ghostbusters HQ.

Honestly the Batmobile is a terrible representation. Like Ghostbusters, they should have focused on the building and released Bat-mobile as a seperate set.

While it's filled with "nice touches" these really should be the cherry on-top, not major selling points.

Batcave is hard as there's no real exterior, there's no way to realistically do an all encompassing, self contained version of it like the firehouse. As much as I'd love one. I do wonder if they would have been better off ditching the wayne manor elements and focusing on fleshing out the cave more and be less of a collection of stand-alone builds and one single continuous build.

A wayne manor stand-alone like the firehouse would be awesome also.

I don't mind the batmobile though, obviously the first thing I did was remove the stud shooters.

There were definitely compromises made to get it out for sale. I would also say if you look at it objectively that it is a niche AFOL product it was probably the best option available to them. It's not like a Classic TV series line would do well on the shelves at Walmart or Toys R US. I think they nailed the elements that were fond memories of the show and i absolutely love the Batmobile (yes, always remove stud shooters and net guns from all Lego builds). It looks so good on display with my other Batmobiles and is the best part of that set. I'm not really sure what they could have done with the wall and outside viginette of Wayne Manor to be honest and I understand that is a negative. To make it more encompassing would have raised the piece count and price to absurd levels but it's an absolute shame I have to keep the well detailed back of the manor piece turned away from display. Getting some extra pieces to build out the front of the cave with the poles goes really far in making it look better. Overall though i still say its not a bad set at all and it gets alot of undue hate when you look at everything that comes in it and the multiple bags of really great plates and bar pieces.

There were definitely compromises made to get it out for sale. I would also say if you look at it objectively that it is a niche AFOL product it was probably the best option available to them. It's not like a Classic TV series line would do well on the shelves at Walmart or Toys R US. I think they nailed the elements that were fond memories of the show and i absolutely love the Batmobile (yes, always remove stud shooters and net guns from all Lego builds). It looks so good on display with my other Batmobiles and is the best part of that set. I'm not really sure what they could have done with the wall and outside viginette of Wayne Manor to be honest and I understand that is a negative. To make it more encompassing would have raised the piece count and price to absurd levels but it's an absolute shame I have to keep the well detailed back of the manor piece turned away from display. Getting some extra pieces to build out the front of the cave with the poles goes really far in making it look better. Overall though i still say its not a bad set at all and it gets alot of undue hate when you look at everything that comes in it and the multiple bags of really great plates and bar pieces.
The vision of the set is all wrong, when they opted for 3 section layout including one section that is out of proportion with the rest. Add extra pieces would not have helped very much

As a premium priced set, they should have just given the design to Bessa who designed the 6840 Batcave which actually looks visually more appealing and has more interesting play features:

The fact the designers were emphasing Cesar Romero's moustache in the first few minutes of the design video really gives you a good idea of where their priorities were.

I don't generally care for DC and I think my only Batman figure ever is from the Unikitty set. But there's so many awesome figures and new parts in that Scuttler...

wetwired

I went frame by frame to figure out exactly how many of my vehicles made the trailer. Some you guys can probably barely make out but I recognized a few of the vehicles compared to my working files.

the-lego-batman-movie-trailer-4_h1080p.mov_snapshot_01.02_%5B2016.11.05_19.07.12%5D.jpg

The batsub being the standout in this shot, they've changed up the bottom half but kept a few of the elements I had in mine like the dome and fins. The other boats you can barely see but I recognized. There's some in the background too but evern I can only make out bat fins from those so I can't tell if they're mine or not.

the-lego-batman-movie-trailer-4_h1080p.mov_snapshot_01.01_%5B2016.11.05_19.06.16%5D.jpg

the-lego-batman-movie-trailer-4_h1080p.mov_snapshot_01.01_%5B2016.11.05_19.05.41%5D.jpg

Battruck, previously seen Burton Batmobile and the Bat speedboat, the speedboat actually came out even better than I remember, their rendering and lighting does wonders.

the-lego-batman-movie-trailer-4_h1080p.mov_snapshot_00.27_%5B2016.11.05_19.03.47%5D.jpg

Lots of boats, the orange arrow one (Bat Patrol Boat) they've added some extra bits too

Red one I can't quite make out but I think is the batsub shown above.

They've added stickers and logos all of them (something I couldn't do) which looks cool

I also noticed this small sign during an earlier shot I thought was pretty funny.

the-lego-batman-movie-trailer-4_h1080p.mov_snapshot_00.12_%5B2016.11.05_19.00.54%5D.jpg

There's a quite a few I haven't seen yet that I hope make it to the final cut. Some I think Batman fans will love and others are just balls out crazy. One is FUCKING MASSIVE but I dunno if it will make it due to it's size. Another I love just for the craziness of it.

wetwired

If anyone is bored, I did a build of my Modular Park in Unity with a flycam so you can zoom around and see how it looks in person.

Download Link 108Mb (Windows only)

Just unzip, run the exe and used WASD + Mouse

Andrin

I went frame by frame to figure out exactly how many of my vehicles made the trailer. Some you guys can probably barely make out but I recognized a few of the vehicles compared to my working files.

Everything about this movie looks awesome, and your designs fit in perfectly. It must've been hard to keep quiet about all of this for so long.

Another thing I noticed about the sign pic you posted is the blue and yellow sign to the right that has "LÄDER" printed on it. "Läderlappen" was the old Swedish name for Batman back in the golden age of comics (roughly translated it means "the patch of leather"), and our national colours are blue and yellow. I thought that was a nice little homage as well.

wetwired

Everything about this movie looks awesome, and your designs fit in perfectly. It must've been hard to keep quiet about all of this for so long.

Another thing I noticed about the sign pic you posted is the blue and yellow sign to the right that has "LÄDER" printed on it. "Läderlappen" was the old Swedish name for Batman back in the golden age of comics (roughly translated it means "the patch of leather"), and our national colours are blue and yellow. I thought that was a nice little homage as well.

I would never have gotten that reference

Andrin

I would never have gotten that reference

I doubt a lot of Swedes would have either. Batman hasn't been known as anything else than Batman over here for ages. I only knew because I found my dads old comic albums back when I was a kid. And looking closer at that clip it looks like the sign itself is actually a Swedish flag, so that's kinda cool.

It's also an old word for "bat", so it's not completely random.

It used to be that every super hero name was translated, usually rather literally. At some point we became anglified enough that we started thinking the Swedish names were silly and the English names much cooler.

Although, I would take Wolverine over Järven any day.

wetwired

It's past 1am and time for bed, I've been up late putting together a video for the Modular Park, I'm calling it "Autumn Park" It's not on ideas obviously but this will help drum up support hopefully.

I will submit the ideas project monday so I've got time to make tweaks to the video if anyone has any suggestions

It's past 1am and time for bed, I've been up late putting together a video for the Modular Park, I'm calling it "Autumn Park" It's not on ideas obviously but this will help drum up support hopefully.

I will submit the ideas project monday so I've got time to make tweaks to the video if anyone has any suggestions

I think it looks great! One thing I noticed was your mouse cursor in the middle of the screen in a few shots, maybe get that out of there since it was a little distracting.

Just got the Dimensions Potter Team Pack and the A-Team Fun Pack for $15. Now the only one I'm missing is Mission:Impossible.

Just FYI I'm pretty sure today is the last day to take advantage of the completely bonkers Gamers Club Lego Dimensions deals at Best Buy.

So the boy hasn't got any new sets on his Christmas list. He mainly now just likes making vehicles from the stuff he already has.

Saw a couple of decent prices in 3 for 2 offers so I picked up the prison island and one of the mid sized angry birds sets, pretty sure he will love them both

wetwired

I think it looks great! One thing I noticed was your mouse cursor in the middle of the screen in a few shots, maybe get that out of there since it was a little distracting.

I didn't even see them at all, now I see them everywhere, I guess that's what I get for doing it late at night

If anyone is bored, I did a build of my Modular Park in Unity with a flycam so you can zoom around and see how it looks in person.

Download Link 108Mb (Windows only)

Just unzip, run the exe and used WASD + Mouse

Welp, you win for presentation. It's amazing what can be done nowadays. It would definitely be cheaper to get into LDD LEGO modeling, but I need the tactile experience. Plus I'm in front of the computer all day at work and a lot of time at home.

Either my ESC key is broken or I have no idea how to end the program (I'm a programmer so I'm not clueless) when I did full screen.

Also, the depth of field is very shallow. Is there a way to dynamically adjust that? Or is that to help speed up the rendering?

wetwired

Welp, you win for presentation. It's amazing what can be done nowadays. It would definitely be cheaper to get into LDD LEGO modeling, but I need the tactile experience. Plus I'm in front of the computer all day at work and a lot of time at home.

Either my ESC key is broken or I have no idea how to end the program (I'm a programmer so I'm not clueless) when I did full screen.

Also, the depth of field is very shallow. Is there a way to dynamically adjust that? Or is that to help speed up the rendering?

ALT-F4 to quit. Depth of field can be changed but not dynamically (probably can but I'm no coder) I don't intend to release it publically, just something I thought I'd try since it's literally just a click of a button to export.

I still prefer tactile building but LDD allowed me to use pieces in colour not readily available and iteration time is much faster for me.

I don't think it's the joker, I think it might be from Nexo Knights

It was a joke. :) I'm a joker.
Yes, that is Jestro from Nexo Knights.

ALT-F4 to quit. Depth of field can be changed but not dynamically (probably can but I'm no coder) I don't intend to release it publically, just something I thought I'd try since it's literally just a click of a button to export.

I still prefer tactile building but LDD allowed me to use pieces in colour not readily available and iteration time is much faster for me.

Thanks for sharing. I was just curious about the depth of field, no biggie.
I know you do 3d stuff for gaming so you're more adept than most, but I'm surprised that LDD is much faster. I suppose not having to hunt for pieces saves a lot of time (and not having to break it down and sort later is a huge bonus).

wetwired

It was a joke. :) I'm a joker.
Yes, that is Jestro from Nexo Knights.

Thanks for sharing. I was just curious about the depth of field, no biggie.
I know you do 3d stuff for gaming so you're more adept than most, but I'm surprised that LDD is much faster. I suppose not having to hunt for pieces saves a lot of time (and not having to break it down and sort later is a huge bonus).

LDD is good for smaller things, anything bigger than this park I wouldn't try and do in LDD.

I have used it for larger things but more to figure out how many parts it might take to fill a space and then move on to building with real bricks. I did that for my GB Firehouse originally and for my never completely Springfield Elementary (because my research in LDD proved it was going to way too expensive for me to attempt)

Markus

That's funny, so did I just two days ago (in Vancouver WA). I wonder if they got a bunch.

Edit: you know I think Fred Meyer had them too

In the last 2 weeks I've seen 2 Walmarts in my area (Halifax, NS) get them (1 box at the first and 12 at other) as well as 2 Chapters (2 boxes and 1 box)

wetwired

PMed. Thanks!

Dammit!, first thing I thought of when I saw those doors was how good they'd look with more of them :)

Liked.
Hope you don't go up against the Bluesmobile in the review.

Ideas doesn't work like that, it's not "one winner" it's whichever they decide is good enough and has a business case to go to market. They could put 2 or more into production or they could choose none.

I just spotted a freshly opened box of Disney minifigures at my Target.

A few days ago I posted stock of the Disney CMFs were showing up at various retail stores and LEGO shop @ home. Nobody commented so I assumed most people already got what they wanted.

Are there people here that are missing any Disney CMFs? I recommend jumping on them as we don't know how much supply this 2nd batch is.

Rootbeer

Banned
I don't think the Ninjago movie is gonna have as wide appeal as TLM or TLBM to be honest. I'm into lego and I'm even I'm not terribly interested in it
It very well may not be as widely appreciated, but I was only speaking about the quality of the LEGO sets we will get out of the movie being on part with The LEGO Movie & The LEGO Batman Movie, because so far they have been crazy good and I look forward to seeing that continue even further!

For example I feel like TLBM sets definitely feel a step above the typical DC/Marvel builds we get, so if you apply that to Ninjago it really has me curious what they might do.

@wetwired, sorry if you have answered this, but what was the process of creating and delivering the builds that were used in TLBM? Do they actually accept LDD files for that sort of thing?

wetwired

It very well may not be as widely appreciated, but I was only speaking about the quality of the LEGO sets we will get out of the movie being on part with The LEGO Movie & The LEGO Batman Movie, because so far they have been crazy good and I look forward to seeing that continue even further!

For example I feel like TLBM sets definitely feel a step above the typical DC/Marvel builds we get, so if you apply that to Ninjago it really has me curious what they might do.

@wetwired, sorry if you have answered this, but what was the process of creating and delivering the builds that were used in TLBM? Do they actually accept LDD files for that sort of thing?

I worked remotely so it was all sent via their web-based file transfer system. I don't think I can get into specifics but it's something similar to LDD files with their own software.

Dammit!, first thing I thought of when I saw those doors was how good they'd look with more of them :)

Ideas doesn't work like that, it's not "one winner" it's whichever they decide is good enough and has a business case to go to market. They could put 2 or more into production or they could choose none.

Is there any other IDEAS/CuuSoo designer who has reached 10K votes three times?

Also what happened to your ALA-N project?

wetwired

Is there any other IDEAS/CuuSoo designer who has reached 10K votes three times?

Also what happened to your ALA-N project?

It only reached 792 votes and expired. As much as I see people complain about the lack of originality and the use of licenses for LEGO ideas projects. Of the 8 I've submitted, the 3 that were based off existing properties reached 10k, the other 5 all expired. 4 under 1000 votes, and one (the modular costume store) reached 4492 before expiring.

I don't know what other Ideas designers have done. There's a couple that have had at least 2 reach 10k

My Autumn Park has been submitted so I can finally stop spamming you all with it (until it's approved anyway)

It'll be interesting to see how it does given it's my first ideas project since marshmallow man, the Ideas world has changed a bit since then.

That's funny, so did I just two days ago (in Vancouver WA). I wonder if they got a bunch.

Edit: you know I think Fred Meyer had them too

Hey fellow Washingtonians, Toys R Us at Jenzen Beach just got restock on and all their shelves redone by LEGO rep, they opened cases of Disney Minifigures along with restocking all the once sold out Star Wars Advent Calendar. I also got the Cole promo figs along with A-Wing pilot from there and also found some of the First Order mini-figs promo from a month or so ago. It seems the LEGO rep pretty much just went and reset and restock everything in that TRU store in preparation for Black Friday shopping.

On another note finally got around to build LEGO and my daughter and I are working on Spider Man Bridge Battle. I really love it and going to use it as a backdrop to display all my Spider Man figures and all his amazing friends that I have collect over the years (plus all the villains). Now I am thinking I might need a 2nd bridge to hold all of them.

It'll be interesting to see how it does given it's my first ideas project since marshmallow man, the Ideas world has changed a bit since then.
Do you mean in terms of the selection process or the voting patterns?

I think the fact that the Fishing store made it to production abides well for "Autumn Park". And also the fact Modular Construction Site made it to 10K.

wetwired

Do you mean in terms of the selection process or the voting patterns?

I think the fact that the Fishing store made it to production abides well for "Autumn Park". And also the fact Modular Construction Site made it to 10K.

voting patterns mainly.

The Fishing Store getting made actually got my to pull my finger out and my park, I never expected something that size to get through, I purposefully tried to keep the park under 1000 but after the fishing store got through I let it slide to 1090 pieces.

The Assembly Square rumours actually put me off finishing the park for a while too as I thought by "Square" they meant a park.

Alatariel made both the Research Institute and the Big Bang Theory sets, and had 10K votes for a new "Science Adventures" set which wasn't approved.

voting patterns mainly.

The Fishing Store getting made actually got my to pull my finger out and my park, I never expected something that size to get through, I purposefully tried to keep the park under 1000 but after the fishing store got through I let it slide to 1090 pieces.

The Assembly Square rumours actually put me off finishing the park for a while too as I thought by "Square" they meant a park.
I am expecting the final Fishing Store to be nerfed significantly.

I think the only reason "Autumn Park" won't be produced is if TLG hold a misconception about what AFOL expect from a Modular set namely, a substantial edifice.

Obviously, I hope this is not the case.
Alatariel made both the Research Institute and the Big Bang Theory sets, and had 10K votes for a new "Science Adventures" set which wasn't approved.
I consider The Tumbler a moral victory for Brent since it was put into production shortly after it was knocked back.

Isn't the Lego Ninjago Movie kind of Power Rangers-esque in that they're "normal teens" at school and then they turn into Ninja and fight monsters outside of school? I could see some pretty cool sets come out of that movie if they get to have mechs, but at the same time isn't Lego doing sets for the new Power Rangers movie? (I wish it was for MMPR instead since the new suits and mechs look like shit)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom