• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT5| DARKNESS! NO MONEY! (or Break the Rules! Mix the Bags!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rootbeer

Banned
I'm sure you used the potted groot intentionally but there is a pretty good bootleg bigfig of Groot if people want a large version. I got one a while back for like $3.

6MD9rCw.jpg

Yes! The company that represents LEGO here just confirmed the launch of all The Lego Batman Movie sets for late January, including the minifigures. With prices too.

The Batman minifigures will actually be cheaper than the previous series (Disney, series 16 should arrive this december).

The suggested price is R$24.99 (~US$6.50). Series 15 was R$19.99 and Disney is R$29.99. I was worried that if they followed the usual Lego tax the Batman minifig would be R$39.99.

I'm sure you used the potted groot intentionally but there is a pretty good bootleg bigfig of Groot if people want a large version. I got one a while back for like $3.

I agree. Can not recommend that version enough. So much better than the crappy Lego version.

Minifigs went up in price in the Netherlands as well, from €2,99 to €3,99. Will have to see if this is the same in Germany,where I buy most of them. In my humble opinion it is too much, it is a price point I can not justify for most of the figures.

In the past I sometimes grabbed them blind, but this just means that feeling the bags is no longer optional.

TheFuzz

I agree. Can not recommend that version enough. So much better than the crappy Lego version.

Minifigs went up in price in the Netherlands as well, from €2,99 to €3,99. Will have to see if this is the same in Germany,where I buy most of them. In my humble opinion it is too much, it is a price point I can not justify for most of the figures.

In the past I sometimes grabbed them blind, but this just means that feeling the bags is no longer optional.

Chinese knock-off Groot is the GOAT Groot. I have one, myself, and love it.

We are so getting a Baby groot based off that new baby-minifigure aren't we?

I am a big fan of the technic approach, especially angling the ships. These last few I made I also integrated stands to hold the mini figures from the set.

Dude, these are awesome. Perfect way to work in all the extra minifigs for display too. Did you just have all these extra parts on hand or did you order pieces specifically to construct these?

Dude, these are awesome. Perfect way to work in all the extra minifigs for display too. Did you just have all these extra parts on hand or did you order pieces specifically to construct these?

Just went through my extra parts. And once I disassemble the Arocs then I will have more than enough Technic stuff to make more stands.

Although, might be disassembling these shortly. 1-2 years on display seems good enough. Although, they don't take up much room and still look great.

But, as Siegfried said, it is about finding where a technic beam can go in on the undercarriage. Or make it so it cups the ship somehow. It definitely takes some experimentation with making the cradle. After that, just make a stable base.

Just went through my extra parts. And once I disassemble the Arocs then I will have more than enough Technic stuff to make more stands.

Although, might be disassembling these shortly. 1-2 years on display seems good enough. Although, they don't take up much room and still look great.

But, as Siegfried said, it is about finding where a technic beam can go in on the undercarriage. Or make it so it cups the ship somehow. It definitely takes some experimentation with making the cradle. After that, just make a stable base.

Also, Lego is quite sturdy overall. As long as things stay still and there's no horizontal bending, you can place quite a weight on a single transparent bar (which should be the most brittle piece). I have the small Elves dragons on those, and my Milano sits on two Technic beams. Benny's Spaceship is on two masts, which aren't very thick either. And this old Galaxy Explorer has a landing gear made from three 1x width plates.

In other news, I got my Airport Battle. I built the figures and Giant-Man, but I'm putting the rest straight into the parts pile. Giant-Man is actually smaller than I thought (somehow I thought he would be like an alarm clock), but damn cool. And since Ant-Man is caught up with Shelob, he can go into my city.

Heard about this on NPR this morning:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-12-06/lego-ceo-knudstorp-will-step-down-as-coo-padda-takes-over

First non-Danish CEO taking over in company history.

Sound like they want to expand LEGO brand into other thing beside making bricks. LEGO Movie probably prove they can have a profitable movie franchise.

On another note, I finally got around to play with new Dimensions set and probably old news but wow, I didn't know they are doing Power Puff Girls, the Goonies and Teen Titans.

The official one reminds me of the Trees from The Tower of Orthanc set -- can't remember which came first, but i'm certain there was an influence.

This is the best custom i've found.

1379716985158524303.png

Or if you want something taller.

I wonder how LEGO will do baby Groot. Maybe baby fig or the trophy fig the used for Antman.

Heard about this on NPR this morning:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-12-06/lego-ceo-knudstorp-will-step-down-as-coo-padda-takes-over

First non-Danish CEO taking over in company history.

Interesting. New IP like Ninjago is the most profitable. Licensing is a huge business. I can see LEGO continue to expand into girl demographics.

Maybe LEGO can finally do super hero CMFs for collectors. They can do golden age, silver age, and older versions they would never do in their sets.
I doubt it. I wonder if LEGO can create another brand not called LEGO under the LEGO brand umbrella and make more mature sets with guns and violence like Mega Bloks.

ghostmind

Eurobricks is undergoing a rapid decline recently, as the administrators seem intent on sucking up to LEGO, at the expense of their user base.

They have become extremely militant about sharing leaked information, to the point of not allowing photos or links to sets which show up on retailer websites (including Amazon) unless LEGO has authorized it. They have also banned one of their primary sources for leaked info, and most recently shut down the 2017 Star Wars thread due to "negativity". They just reopened said thread with the note "Please keep your posts focused on upcoming 2017 sets or legitimate rumors about them. Please also keep your negativity to a minimum. This will help keep this thread useful and enjoyable for everyone."

I've seen a disturbing trend with LEGO "fan sites" in recent years, where they are becoming more like the video game industry - kowtowing to the corporations in order to keep that supply of freebies flowing.

Eurobricks is undergoing a rapid decline recently, as the administrators seem intent on sucking up to LEGO, at the expense of their user base.

They have become extremely militant about sharing leaked information, to the point of not allowing photos or links to sets which show up on retailer websites (including Amazon) unless LEGO has authorized it. They have also banned one of their primary sources for leaked info, and most recently shut down the 2017 Star Wars thread due to "negativity". They just reopened said thread with the note "Please keep your posts focused on upcoming 2017 sets or legitimate rumors about them. Please also keep your negativity to a minimum. This will help keep this thread useful and enjoyable for everyone."

I've seen a disturbing trend with LEGO "fan sites" in recent years, where they are becoming more like the video game industry - kowtowing to the corporations in order to keep that supply of freebies flowing.

so what you're saying is, lego-gaf has an expansion opportunity.

TheFuzz

EB has become an absolute joke.

I said something last year in their 2015 DC Discussion regarding a 2016 set and the MOD deleted multiple posts. When I asked why, my account was locked. I was told I wasn't "banned" but was only allowed to post in a special forum and when "they felt a proper discussion had taken place, they would let me back in." They literally banned me until I "acknowledged my behavior."

They run it like a prison, and the slightest deviation from what they call "proper discourse" happens, your post is edited or deleted. I quit posting there just because it seems to be nothing more than an advertising venue. If they want to let their mods act like 14-yr olds, that's fine. There are far too many other communities (like this one) where active discussion is allowed and I don't feel like a kid being watched by a prison warden.

That incident is what made me go through the admittedly-difficult registration process here. Love this community here, and we tend to get most all the perks of the other communities without the hassle.

TheFuzz

I just looked and lol'd at the "regulator" saying the thread was locked because "The thread is for POSITIVE discussion about the sets."

Ghostmind, did you get banned?

Kyari

Eurobricks has shut down leak postings like that for a long time to be fair, but yeah they seem to even be clamping down on discussing it at this point.

They were getting real mad about Lego Batman minifigure leaks and didn't even want to allow talking about it let alone posting links.

willp2003

EB has become an absolute joke.

I said something last year in their 2015 DC Discussion regarding a 2016 set and the MOD deleted multiple posts. When I asked why, my account was locked. I was told I wasn't "banned" but was only allowed to post in a special forum and when "they felt a proper discussion had taken place, they would let me back in." They literally banned me until I "acknowledged my behavior."

I got the same treatment a while back, and yet a week later the thread was full of the usual nonsense posts. I haven't bothered posting anything since. It seems like it's one rule for some and another for others.
I much prefer this site, and the fact anything can be discussed, and it's very friendly, despite you lot getting me to spend more money!

TheFuzz

I got the same treatment a while back, and yet a week later the thread was full of the usual nonsense posts. I haven't bothered posting anything since. It seems like it's one rule for some and another for others.
I much prefer this site, and the fact anything can be discussed, and it's very friendly, despite you lot getting me to spend more money!

Same here, it's not worth the trouble and the community here is more helpful and friendly. We constantly have a lot of lurkers here too, I always see info and MOCs from this thread showing up on Reddit, EB, and Brickset.

Yah but we gotta keep the thread active, we're behind on posting for this year as we need another 5,000 posts in the next month to stay on pace with 2015

Edit: actually it took 14 months or about 47 posts per day to get a new OT last time so we gotta get there by February 20th

Yah but we gotta keep the thread active, we're behind on posting for this year as we need another 5,000 posts in the next month to stay on pace with 2015

Edit: actually it took 14 months or about 47 posts per day to get a new OT last time so we gotta get there by February 20th

one day i'll start MOCing for real and my post count will shoot up from "borderline lurker who's bad with money" to "why are you always on gaf"

Ponn

Banned
I wonder how fast I would get banned there for all the shit talking I have/will give that damn Red Hulk set. And i'm still going to buy it, when its half off...sigh.

Even with my VIP points i'm not going to be able to get all Lego Batman and Assembly Square in January so I need to make a decision which way to go. Assembly Square will be around for awhile but it might not see a discount for a long time. All the Lego Batman movie sets on the other hand will probably see heavy discounts within a month or two after release. The hype for Batman Movie is going to be really really strong though.

Don't worry. Once the storm of January 1st hits us, we'll have thousands of posts discussing those.

I wonder how fast I would get banned there for all the shit talking I have/will give that damn Red Hulk set. And i'm still going to buy it, when its half off...sigh.

Even with my VIP points i'm not going to be able to get all Lego Batman and Assembly Square in January so I need to make a decision which way to go. Assembly Square will be around for awhile but it might not see a discount for a long time. All the Lego Batman movie sets on the other hand will probably see heavy discounts within a month or two after release. The hype for Batman Movie is going to be really really strong though.

I'm getting the Assembly Square day one. I want a redemption after Brick Bank, and modulars are always fantastic. Plus, as you say, they rarely see discounts (until possibly a year later when they end up on TRU). The Batman sets are neat, but they will definitely go on sale every now and then.

Kyari

I still want to pick up the Detective's Office, I am so far behind!

I kind of want to MOC some of the mid-scale buildings, the deli corner and the bike shop and cafe and etc. I love that scale but my deepest, darkest secret is that I'm shit at MOCing.

Ponn

Banned
It's high time we start working on our "Top 5 of 2016" lists, isn't it, fellas?

I feel bad because I haven't put together most of my potential top 5 sets yet. I'm assuming Disney Castle would be number 1. I did put Jay's Elemental Dragon and the Green NRG dragon together and one of them would be in my top 5. Probably Jay's because of the price point, size and posability of the dragon and even though I really like the looks of the fabric dragon wings it doesn't seem Lego pure.

Ive been getting a lot of older sets this year so I dont think I'll be able to do a top 5 for 2016 only sets as I haven't gotten much more than 5 2016 sets if you don't count Bionicle, microfighters, or mixels (I think the grand total is like, 8 and most are smaller things I don't feel are top 5 material like park animals or reys speeder)

I'll probably do a "top 5 things I bought this year" again :p

Or maybe I can squeeze out a top 5 2016 including constraction, I really liked K2S0 and feel like he's top 5 material. Such a fantastic torso build. Umarak the hunter is awesome too.

I just lurk because I'm unemployed. The only Lego things I've bought since Rey's Speeder were a Stitch mini-figure and a Jack Sparrow polybag.

DonShula

Not sure why I never considered that GAF must have a Lego thread. I don't venture into the non-gaming stuff too often. Subbing so I can irresponsibily spend money as well. I don't buy much, but having said that, I'm lucky that I missed the Ewok Village sale yesterday. A deal's a deal.

So I was checking eBay for stuff, and all of a sudden...I'm down about ~US$150 after buying 41230, 41231 and 41232 (the DC superhero mini dolls sets)

I'm a dazed at what just happened.....

There was that Christmas like creator set that makes a bunch of different sets.

Oh yes the 24 in 1 set but I recall every year they usually have two of the "limited" Christmas series set and this year I only seen the Snow Globe one with that ribbon logo. So may be this year this is the only one. They also stop putting "year" on it.

Is that stocking bigger on the inside?

I understood that reference!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom