• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT5| DARKNESS! NO MONEY! (or Break the Rules! Mix the Bags!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ponn

Banned
Oh yes the 24 in 1 set but I recall every year they usually have two of the "limited" Christmas series set and this year I only seen the Snow Globe one with that ribbon logo. So may be this year this is the only one. They also stop putting "year" on it.

The nutcracker ornament was the other one this year. It didn't come in a regular box so it didn't have the normal ribbon print of course.

Deefuzz

I am a big fan of the technic approach, especially angling the ships. These last few I made I also integrated stands to hold the mini figures from the set.

Welp...need to steal this idea. I never leave ships built because I can never find an elegant way to display them. I love this! Thanks for sharing!

Welp...need to steal this idea. I never leave ships built because I can never find an elegant way to display them. I love this! Thanks for sharing!

I posted these back in 2013 in an old LEGO OT. Thankfully I saved the gallery on IMGUR.

Click the link for some better pics of the stands and how they connect. Those were maybe the second stands I ever made. The first batch was for the 2012 Sex Wing and Y-Wing. Those are posted in another old OT, but I didn't dig for those.

And this pic reminds me of just how beastly the OG Quinjet was. I know last year I said that the build on 2.0 was better, but as far as looks, the OG is so damn good.

And dat Sonic Boom!

Koren

Not sure why I never considered that GAF must have a Lego thread. I don't venture into the non-gaming stuff too often. Subbing so I can irresponsibily spend money as well. I don't buy much, but having said that, I'm lucky that I missed the Ewok Village sale yesterday. A deal's a deal.
It took me what... a dozen years to find this thread? And i only found it because it was linked on Eurobricks ^_^

I spend more because of this thread though :/ But plently of awesome advices...

Rootbeer

Banned
So, is there a reason there wasn't a Fantastic Beasts line? I though the HP line was good for LEGO.

I think they took a look at the film, it's set pieces, it's characters... and decided that it wasn't a good fit, at least not based on movie 1 alone. Maybe the Story Pack was a way to test the waters a little bit.

I don't blame them... I really enjoyed the movie but LEGO is really packed with exciting themes and sets right now... they didn't need it in their portfolio. Maybe when the 2nd movie is rolling out we'll see more stuff.

I desagree about Fantastic Beasts. I think it is a lost opportunity. They should have released at least some sets, and the creatures could have been great builds.

Well, FB is a movie made to Harry Potter fans who grew up. It is more adult in style. Maybe that was the reason Lego stay aside, but AFLs should have dig the sets.

I was never a Harry Potter fan, don't have any HP Lego sets (besides Dimensions), but really liked FB movie, and for sure would buy Lego sets based on it.

nny

It seems I will be shopping for technic parts soon; need to build some of those stands!

edit:

3CPmzo7.jpg

Do you have any more pictures of this one so I can reverse engineer it? (can't tell what the grey pieces on the top are) Thanks!

papluh

Is the Ferrari F40 "must have"?

As somebody growing up with a 1/18 model in my bookcase ... I can say only yes :D

I agree that the impact factor when build is not that big as Mini (cuteness?) or Bug (bright color), the building techniques are more varied. It is not just a box with some SNOT and hinged trunk/hood ;)

Oh and get two Technic Pin 3L in black to replace the blue ones seen on pop up headlights...

Ponn

Banned
I desagree about Fantastic Beasts. I think it is a lost opportunity. They should have released at least some sets, and the creatures could have been great builds.

Well, FB is a movie made to Harry Potter fans who grew up. It is more adult in style. Maybe that was the reason Lego stay aside, but AFLs should have dig the sets.

I was never a Harry Potter fan, don't have any HP Lego sets (besides Dimensions), but really liked FB movie, and for sure would buy Lego sets based on it.

I feel like they tried to target AFOL's with LoTR and Hobbit and from what little sales information that came out those sets didn't do nearly as well as their other themes. FB has not been targeted to kids, like at all from what i've seen. Dimensions tie in was probably the best we were ever going to get out of that. Though Lego does love their Depp minifigs so maybe FB 2 has a chance to get sets.

Osahi

Yes! Vintage Tram passed the 10K mark on Lego Ideas. I hope this gets approved, as I haven't looked forward to a (possible) Ideas-set as much as this one since Wall-E. It's a perfect blend of two of my passions: Lego and Portugal. (It would have been better if it was the even more iconic Tram 28 from Lisbon, but this will do)

I think this makes a pretty good chance to get approved too. If so, I do hope they keep the Portugal angle and don't just change it into an old tram. It would also be the first Ideas set from someone who allready has an approved one before (guy made the Yellow Submarine too). Lol, I'm allready getting ahead of myself.

Shame that if this gets approved and made, it will be to late to buy as a goodbye gift for my Portuguese teacher, as it's the last year she'll teach me after three years. She loves Lego too.

TheFuzz

No pictures. Im on mobile. And lazy.

1. Ghostbusters Firehouse HQ- A lifelong dream as a kid was to have a full-blown Firehouse set from the movie. Couple that with the fantastic interior builds, parts-pack-of-the-year value, and excellent minifigures makes this my set of the year. I haven't bought the Disney Castle, though.

2. Vacation Getaways- I've been pimping this set since release, and will continue to do so. This set embodies what LEGO has always been about. Three PHENOMENAL builds, great value, and great parts. Any LEGO fan owes it to themselves to have this set. How good is it? It was almost my #1.

3. Brick Bank- The Bank is at #3. It's a Jamie modular. It's a fantastic build. It's got great parts. This set being #3 is a testament to the year and how good it was.

4. AT-ST- I credit Wetwired for getting me REALLY back into LEGO with his Ecto-1. I credit this set for bringing me back into Star Wars. A phenomenal build and great looking model. I love everything about this.

5. Spider-Man Ghostrider Team-Up- $20 Superhero sets have a long history of producing great values. Lex Luthor's mech, Ant-Man Final Battle. Add this to the list. Great builds and great figures. Love the bike build, even if it's oversized. And the typical throwaway build is great street-corner.

Honorable mentions:

Krennic's Shuttle
Sanctum Santorum
Dimensions Midway Arcade

TheFuzz

Is that really that good? I want to complete my lego rogue one group but I haven't been able to justify 80 dollars to complete the set.

I paid full price and love it. The opening feature is fun and the completed model is so evil looking. Minfigs are also absolutely stellar. It's only ~$70 on Amazon right now, too.

Btw, sounds like you have it, so how is the U-Wing?

Osahi

I paid full price and love it. The opening feature is fun and the completed model is so evil looking. Minfigs are also absolutely stellar. It's only ~$70 on Amazon right now, too.

Btw, sounds like you have it, so how is the U-Wing?

Great set imo. It's a big ship that looks even more imposong in flightmode (the swoosh is strong too). Figs are great and you can pose them with the turret while the cargo doors are open.

Still have to build Kenricks...

I stopped by the Lego shop and was a bit tempted to grab a second copy of a bunch of sets that are going OOP. But even if they get more valuable over time, I don't know if it's worth the hassle. Trying to sell off my spare Fire Brigades and some other stuff now.

I did get a small cup almost filled with LBG 2x2 tiles though. Always handy.

Koren

I stopped by the Lego shop and was a bit tempted to grab a second copy of a bunch of sets that are going OOP. But even if they get more valuable over time, I don't know if it's worth the hassle. Trying to sell off my spare Fire Brigades and some other stuff now.
What kind of price do fire brigades sell for now?

Here's my Christmas set up, our first Christmas at our new place, and I think I found the best spot! I also finally got to build the first 3 sets of the Christmas line that I bought off of an acquaintance last year. So good!! I got a lot of comments last weekend when we had family and friends over for cookie baking. The only downside is, I don't have any more room for new sets. Good thing this year's was a train.

http://i.imgur.com/jGZEve6.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/2mqJDan.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/BIYAcPn.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/6crgd7y.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/2PVNUOK.jpg

Risible

Here's my Christmas set up, our first Christmas at our new place, and I think I found the best spot! I also finally got to build the first 3 sets of the Christmas line that I bought off of an acquaintance last year. So good!! I got a lot of comments last weekend when we had family and friends over for cookie baking. The only downside is, I don't have any more room for new sets. Good thing this year's was a train.

http://i.imgur.com/jGZEve6.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/2mqJDan.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/BIYAcPn.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/6crgd7y.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/2PVNUOK.jpg

Sooooooo jealous.

Got the "Creepy Geoffrey" set at TRU today, they were doing a giveaway with $40 purchase.

Not a bad deal if you can get $40 worth of LEGO at MSRP. The Geoffrey set is 25% worth of the purchase.

Crap. Still can't find it at my local store. Will check tomorrow or Friday then.

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=113042556#findItInStore

They keep shutting down TRU's around me so there are no close ones to me. This may save a trip if you choose pickup at store option to see if they have any.

Not a bad deal if you can get $40 worth of LEGO at MSRP. The Geoffrey set is 25% worth of the purchase.
They were also doing a 20% off of Ninjago, Speed Champions, Elves, and... Duplo I think? So, more incentive to spend $40 and get that Geoffrey.

Worked on me, I only went in looking for the new Creator Dinosaur set.

They were also doing a 20% off of Ninjago, Speed Champions, Elves, and... Duplo I think? So, more incentive to spend $40 and get that Geoffrey.

Worked on me, I only went in looking for the new Creator Dinosaur set.
And did you get the awesome Dino set too?

I've been checking for Geoffrey and the Creator Robot.

Koren

Let me Bricklink that for you.

http://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?S=10197-1#T=S&O={}

Seems like $300 USD for used. eBay tends to have higher and outrageous prices.
Sorry, the question, as stated, was pretty stupid... I was curious about the price he was expected/hoping to sell them, but BL is probably a good estimation for this indeed.

Shits good mate

Shits good

Still roll mine around from time to time and it's got a primo spot on me shelf

I don't disassemble any of my sets cause I destroyed everything when I was a kid and now I regret it. Cant find all the pieces. Don't want to make that mistake twice. Although once space becomes an issue I might be forced to

I don't disassemble any of my sets cause I destroyed everything when I was a kid and now I regret it. Cant find all the pieces. Don't want to make that mistake twice. Although once space becomes an issue I might be forced to

I have sorted pretty much all of my disassembled sets to a very granular level. Now that's it's all separated and there's a work space my 10 year old has gotten seriously into building! She hasn't even looked at LEGO for the last two years but now spends all her free time building a house she's working on.

It's funny because when it was a hot mess of unsorted bricks she wouldn't give it the time of day, but I guess her personality needed the order. I'm glad I did it - I still have plenty of sets that will remain built until my (almost) 6 year old stops playing with them.

I have sorted pretty much all of my disassembled sets to a very granular level. Now that's it's all separated and there's a work space my 10 year old has gotten seriously into building! She hasn't even looked at LEGO for the last two years but now spends all her free time building a house she's working on.

It's funny because when it was a hot mess of unsorted bricks she wouldn't give it the time of day, but I guess her personality needed the order. I'm glad I did it - I still have plenty of sets that will remain built until my (almost) 6 year old stops playing with them.

Yeah and I guess when you have all the pieces sorted like that it's pretty easy to rebuild old sets if you ever want to and a lot harder to lose pieces

Ken is Chill

Neo Member
I'm really sick of how nearly every LEGO fan site has just become an opportunity for the owners to get free sets in exchange for advertising.

Brickset articles have become a joke. I believe at one point some months ago they ran an article defending the Attack on Hoth set, after posting a scathing review. The main guy over there, Huw, is so incredibly defensive about any criticism towards the site, and I'm talking well-reasoned constructive critiques.

It's ridiculous that we have to turn to the threads on NeoGaf and SA, among others, to levy any sort of criticism against LEGO. These "fan sites" should be dragging LEGO through the mud for some recent releases.

any tips to make dusting legos a bit less nightmarish? i've noticed things have gotten kind of bad.

Any brush that is soft will do. If bristles are too hard (like plasticky ones on a vacuum cleaner) they will make small abrasions and scratches. I have a paint brush for bulk dusting and smaller art paint brushes for minifigs and small items to dust.

Sorry, the question, as stated, was pretty stupid... I was curious about the price he was expected/hoping to sell them, but BL is probably a good estimation for this indeed.

I didn't mean it in a mean way. I meant it in a joking way. All is good. I'll put a smiley next time. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom