• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT5| DARKNESS! NO MONEY! (or Break the Rules! Mix the Bags!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheFuzz

Like what? I mean, Hoth seems pretty bad and Batcave was disappointing, but have there been that many disasters recently?

The sites are very "positive" on their official reviews, even when the set has obvious flaws that don't need to be glossed over, and some are almost dictatorial on their discussion boards (Eurobricks), where negative talk about sets isn't tolerated.

The sites are very "positive" on their official reviews, even when the set has obvious flaws that don't need to be glossed over, and some are almost dictatorial on their discussion boards (Eurobricks), where negative talk about sets isn't tolerated.

Yeah I know that, but I wondered what recent releases he was referring to because he seemed to be quite angry about them! I didn't really realise there was a significant amount of bad sets released recently.

Ponn

Banned
I'm really sick of how nearly every LEGO fan site has just become an opportunity for the owners to get free sets in exchange for advertising.

Brickset articles have become a joke. I believe at one point some months ago they ran an article defending the Attack on Hoth set, after posting a scathing review. The main guy over there, Huw, is so incredibly defensive about any criticism towards the site, and I'm talking well-reasoned constructive critiques.

It's ridiculous that we have to turn to the threads on NeoGaf and SA, among others, to levy any sort of criticism against LEGO. These "fan sites" should be dragging LEGO through the mud for some recent releases.

Same thing that happened with youtube and now everyone has a lets play and review channel. Everyone wants free stuff, can't say I begrudge them trying. It makes me question their judgement though and opinion. Just like for games I just use them to see the things for myself and ignore their opinion. Except Jang when he's genuinely excited for something, its endearing.

Yeah I know that, but I wondered what recent releases he was referring to because he seemed to be quite angry about them! I didn't really realise there was a significant amount of bad sets released recently.

Might be a combination of recent and upcoming sets. I know those upcoming marvel sets just look awful except for the mighty micros. Generally the Batman vs. Supes sets were awful with exception for maybe the batmobile yet most people except Jang were positive about them. Lego can be a pretty subjective thing but no site should down criticism like i'm hearing about EB.

BITE YOUR TONGUE ABOUT BATCAVE! /s (kinda)

LEAVE BATCAVE ALONE! JUST LEAVE HER ALONE!

TheFuzz

This post on EB says it all, this was only days ago:

The reason us Regulators and Moderators are being so strict against complaining is that this isn't a site for complaints. It's a forum to positively talk about one of our favorite hobbies. Saying "Man, I wish the prices for the 2017 sets weren't so high, now I'll have to wait until they go on sale" is acceptable. It's a positive way to state something that's affecting you concerning the 2017 sets and it might give someone else the idea to wait until there is a sale. Saying, "Lego! Why are you gouging us so much with these ridiculous prices!" is not because it accomplishes nothing.

This blows my mind. They literally are monitoring how their users use their subject-verb agreements to make sure it sounds positive.

Rootbeer

Banned
Notice:

amazon is holding a lightning deal on the 4K HDR disc version of The LEGO Movie at around 4:20PM PST. Here is the product link. Perfect if you have a 4K TV with HDR and a disc player... such as an XBox One S.

Not sure what the price will be. Lowest recorded price is $19.99 so maybe it will go lower than that?

This post on EB says it all, this was only days ago:

This blows my mind. They literally are monitoring how their users use their subject-verb agreements to make sure it sounds positive.

Ridiculous. That just reeks of "code of conduct" lists being sent out in return for coverage and support.

Besides GAF I only talk about Lego on our LUG, and even though we have plenty of official contacts and follow some rules (don't post restricted images), criticism is fine. I would hate for Lego to start throwing their weight around - that would really burn some bridges. I hope the new CEO isn't an indication of a new direction.

I am actually thinking about thinning out several themes that just don't fit my display area. I only build for display and my display area is pretty packed right now.

I am seriously considering selling all of my Ultra Agent sets. Think I should wait until after the holidays or try and sell them before?

I am actually thinking about thinning out several themes that just don't fit my display area. I only build for display and my display area is pretty packed right now.

I am seriously considering selling all of my Ultra Agent sets. Think I should wait until after the holidays or try and sell them before?

Holidays area great time to sell along with tax refund season.

any tips to make dusting legos a bit less nightmarish? i've noticed things have gotten kind of bad.

I use a shaving brush similar to the one below and find it works well for getting between the studs.

wooden-shaving-brush-1-160x160.jpg

Anyone know what the return windows is when buying at the LEGO store? I saw Doctor Who was on sale for $48 and was thinking of picking it up in case I don't get it for Christmas, but wanted to return it if someone did get me it.

TheFuzz

Anyone know what the return windows is when buying at the LEGO store? I saw Doctor Who was on sale for $48 and was thinking of picking it up in case I don't get it for Christmas, but wanted to return it if someone did get me it.

With receipt, I want to say it's either 60 or 90 days.

This is an excellent set. I love how Lego engineered the bug to move its legs as it moves forward.

Amazing set, and still a personal favorite even years later. It's all about the leg action. My cats were scared of it.

Yes yes yes! One of the very few "never to be disassembled" sets I own. I have watched at least 20 kids discover the one at our house and they're always amazed once it starts to roll.

I'm looking forward to it. Seems like it would make a great set for a monster disaster scenario for my Modular Town.

Do you guys have any other experience with other Galaxy Squad sets? Is Galactic Titan any good?

Holidays area great time to sell along with tax refund season.
What's the best place to sell Lego, would it be BrickLink? I have a box of sets I'd like to offload and some of them are pretty rare/valuable but I have heard so many horror stories about eBay I pretty much won't even consider it.

I'm looking forward to it. Seems like it would make a great set for a monster disaster scenario for my Modular Town.

Do you guys have any other experience with other Galaxy Squad sets? Is Galactic Titan any good?
Galaxy Squad is legit, it's the only theme I've actually tried to complete (only missing some of the poly bags) There's a small ~$25 set that's a Blue Team jet, can't remember the name of it at the moment but it's one of the coolest Lego sets I've ever built. The cockpit attaches to the body with a pin and can separate (all the Hero sets split into multiple vehicles in Galaxy Squad) but when it's plugged in, when you fly the ship around it behaves like it has a gyroscope in it and no matter which way you twist/turn the body of the ship the cockpit stays level. I had no idea it did that and when I swooshed it for the first time I lost my mind at how cool it was.

Edit: It's the Swarm Interceptor (70701)

flash0222

Neo Member
I just unloaded the 10189 (Taj Mahal) on Ebay. You pay a buttload more in fees than bricklink, but it went fast and was a smooth transaction, so I'm happy.

Titan is good, but not great. The mech, Vermin Vaporizer, and Bug Obliterator are the stand out sets.

Galaxy Squad is the best internally developed license for a long time.

There was a rumor at the time TLG were going to release a raised base plate especially for Galaxy Squad. Obviously that failed to materialize.

I highly recommend the mech, 70707. It can split and transform..and it's a mech with great colour scheme! Great play value.

What's the best place to sell Lego, would it be BrickLink? I have a box of sets I'd like to offload and some of them are pretty rare/valuable but I have heard so many horror stories about eBay I pretty much won't even consider it.

If you won't do eBay, then Bricklink is the best IMO. You can try one of the alternatives like BrickOwl. I haven't had any real problems so far as a buyer and seller on Bricklink for several years.

That trailer needs more Aunt May.

Looks like Marvel Studios has the magic. Trailer is very promising.

I wonder if they got Best Star drop in one take, had a dozen built, or used CGI.

latest

My personal top 10 sets for 2016. I obviously didn’t buy every set that came out in 2016, so this list reflects my personal favorites that I purchased. The top 3 were easy to determine. After that, it became a bit difficult, especially the ranking.

10. 76051 Super Hero Airport Battle
The air traffic control tower is pretty basic and kind of lame. The Quinjet is a nice, solid, and chunky lil baby Quinjet compared to the previous sets. The mini figures are great in the set, and help round out the hero ranks.
Let’s be honest, this set is all about Giant Man. You are essentially building a big version of a mini figure. Even the legs have the same limited range of motion of a mini figure. The only part that breaks from a mini fig is the motion on the arms. Such a fun build when you get to it, and so much fun to put Giant Man into scenes he shouldn’t be in.

9. 75827 Ghostbusters Firehouse Headquarters
The exterior is a pretty bland build, but who cares? It’s the Ghostbuster’s HQ!
What the exterior lacks in cool build techniques is overshadowed by the fantastic detailing inside. This set is all about the interior details, and begs to be displayed with the sides open to show it off.
While I have issues with the roof bowing on it when together, the interior details are so tip top that it doesn’t affect it too negatively. The small mini builds and mini fig scale furniture are what Marcos Bessa excels at, and this set is just him showing off.

8. 60134 Fun in the Park: City People Pack
Yes, this is just a glorified mini fig pack, and I don’t care. The small builds throughout are fun, but the stars are the figures. We get our first LEGO wheelchair and first LEGO baby in this set. Then we get a great elderly couple, a professional businesswoman (a first too I believe), some great kid figures, and a kick ass hot dog salesman, complete with the new hot dog bun parts. This is just a fun pack of stuff to play around with and populate any display you have.

7. 10253 Big Ben
Yes, the build is very monotonous and a nightmare if you have OCD (thanks tons of 1x1 column builds!), but they are necessary to achieve the looks of this set. And oh, how magnificent does this thing look when done. I know many criticize builds for being repetitive (and many times rightly so), but repetition is necessary to pull off the looks of many sets.
The stands big and proud among the other landmark sets, and makes a wonderful display piece.

6. 10251 Brick Bank
Probably the weakest of the modulars since Jamie Berard took back over with Parisian Restaurant, but it is still a great damn set. Lots of great interior details as usual, but lots of neat use of parts on the outside in ways not usually thought of in sets. The set also brought us some new SNOT pieces, which is always welcome.

5. 75140 Resistance Troop Transporter
Yes, it looks like a flying brick. Yes, it is pretty ugly once done. But damn, if the build and all the small touches to get to the end aren’t some of the best stuff out there. So much greebling and SNOT work in the entire thing, including many sections where you build stuff then insert them upside down. The entire build is just one wonderful build discovery after another. One of those sets where the journey to completion is the real joy instead of the final destination.

4. 70327 The King’s Mech
I think most people on here have a soft spot for mechs, and this is one of the best LEGO has done in the years since I came out of the dark ages. The fact that they pulled this off in a $30 set just sweetens the deal. It has a lot of cool build moments, but the dynamic poses you can put this thing into are what send it so high for me.

3. 31052 Vacation Getaways
It looks like a run of the mill Creator set when done, but this set is all about the details. So many great little touches throughout, including some interesting build techniques such as parts going in upside down, and even more play features for setting up some fun displays after that.
Cap it off with two alternate builds that are almost as good as the main build, and all in a package for $70 or less and you have one killer set.

2. 10252 Volkswagen Beetle
The Creator Expert vehicles have a proud lineage, and always deliver the goods. This one just seemed to deliver a bit more than usual. Curved surfaces are some of the more difficult things to pull off in LEGO form, and the lead designer on this (Mike Psiaki, who coincidentally also did Vacation Getaways.) pulls off the curves and angles expertly. Sometimes it is using new elements,such as the curves over the wheels, but many times it is clever use and insertion of existing parts with bricks inlaid to prevent movement.
Just wonderful from beginning to end.

1. 71040 Disney Castle
The big daddy. It looms large and in charge while on display, and it had a build to back that up as well. If Marcos Bessa was showing off with cool techniques in Ewok Village the other year, or mini builds with Simpson’s House and Ghostbusters HQ recently, then he just kicked all those elements up to 11 with this set.
It captures the magic and awesomeness of the Disney Castle when on display, but then the warm nostalgia trips as you look on the back and see the small touches and callbacks to the classic and beloved films on the back.
Everyone has some memory of Disney in their life, and there will be some part of this set that connects with everyone. And of course, they had to do the evil thing and make Tinkerbell and exclusive to this set.

Phoney_Bone_2.jpg

Taisaijin

Definitely 75159 in Spider-Man, extra cheese confirmed.

Edit: nice breakdown on your top 10 PB, agree with all of these - my list would be similar with some Technic shouts to the amazing 911 GT3, Bucket Excavator and the Holiday Train (w/ power functions of course.)

Bring on 2017 (when my wallet recovers..)

ghostmind

Nice list Phon - I see some similarities, but a fair number of differences to mine.

2016 was an interesting year for sets for sure.

Osahi

I'll do a list too this year, though I'll stick to a top 5 as I don't get as much sets as you guys do (and limit myself to Creator Expert and Star Wars mostly)

Still need to build Krennicks Shuttle first, as it might be a contender. And I'm going to pick up the Y-Wing too next week, so though I don't think it will be a top 5-set, you never know.

willp2003

I've only bought a few 2016 sets this year (Caterham, vacation getaways, and some small sets), so no point in doing a top 5! Most of my spending has been on older UCS and modular sets.

TRU Sweden has a 30% off on Star Wars this weekend, but the only interesting items are the TIE and the Slave 1. I would have loved to get Ewok Village or Death Star at that price. I think I'll drop by tomorrow, but the only other set that might be there is the Sandcrawler and I'm not getting that.

They also list the Phantom and the Y-Wing, but those won't get into stock before the sale ends.

Ha, I've been posting my stuff in the Star Wars Merch thread. Somehow, this thread has alluded me. I kinda know I'm getting some more SW Legos for Xmas so I had to make some room so with supplies just laying around the house, I hung the Tie and Xwing.

Vxwa2op.jpg

Ha, I've been posting my stuff in the Star Wars Merch thread. Somehow, this thread has alluded me. I kinda know I'm getting some more SW Legos for Xmas so I had to make some room so with supplies just laying around the house, I hung the Tie and Xwing.

Vxwa2op.jpg

Looks great.

Would look better with some UCS Star Wars stuff. Slave 1 is lonely. :)

I agree. I'm fairly new to the game. All I had was the Falcon up until over a year ago. Have a kid on the way though so big ticket items can't be spontaneous.

We like to refer to "big ticket items" as investments that you get to enjoy. Think of them as investments for you child's future. :)

Warning: This thread is full of a bunch of enablers.

Markus

WOW!

Sandcrawler for $180 with free shipping from Toys R Us

https://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=38059266

For reference, the lowest price it's ever been on amazon is $236. Will they price match?

And a few other items on sale; not sure what is still left in stock atm

To make this even better you can pick up (only the) $50 TrU gift cards IN STORE at Staples (until tomorrow) for 20% off

Or, use Samsung Pay and get up to 4 of the $50 TrU cards at $40 (https://slickdeals.net/f/9372015-updated-12-7-southwest-gc-and-more-added-samsung-pay-20-off-on-select-gift-cards-amc-kohl-s-toysrus-and-many-more)

Fairground mixer $89

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=35592596

Crane Crawler $89

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=57583176

LEGO Star Wars Vader's Tie Advanced vs. A-Wing Starfighter (75150) 53.99

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=87042216

LEGO Scooby-Doo Mystery Mansion (75904) 56.99

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=57582966

LEGO Ideas Doctor Who - Iconics Tardis (21304) 38.99

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=64864646

LEGO Friends Heartlake Airport 41109 $56.99

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=57582716

Flatiron building $23.99

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=45475956

Ponn

Banned

Vxwa2op.jpg

Hey do you like Star Wars?

Seriously though, nice collection. It will grow, and you are going to get flack for not having a Death Star there so start saving up now. Especially after Spider-Man making it popular.

OMG, now the price bump on it makes perfect sense, TLG knew exactly what they were doing there sneaky bastards.

It's the Chinese knock off. It only cost 25$.

Shit, even the chinese knock offs go for over $100. Broke ass Spidey didn't own that thing, that was his buddies Death Star he was bringing over to brag about. Spidey was like "fuck your Best Star i'm Spidey" But tomorrow morning Spidey is going to wake up and realize he still doesn't have a Best Star and cry in a corner.

Hey do you like Star Wars?

Seriously though, nice collection. It will grow, and you are going to get flack for not having a Death Star there so start saving up now. Especially after Spider-Man making it popular.

OMG, now the price bump on it makes perfect sense, TLG knew exactly what they were doing there sneaky bastards.

You know, I would love this Death Star:

Lego Star Wars Death Star II (Discontinued by manufacturer) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FTXNRI/?tag=neogaf0e-20

But the new one doesn't do it for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom