• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT5| DARKNESS! NO MONEY! (or Break the Rules! Mix the Bags!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nudull

Banned
f7DZGo3.jpg

Oh come on, I haven't even gotten any of the Scooby Doo sets yet. ;_;

Steven Universe theme when?

Went shopping and managed to find some interesting used Lego in a thrift shop.There were four decently big bags of 70's Lego for a total of about $11. I bought them all, then sat down to pick out the neat stuff and then donated the rest right back (just a bunch of Homemaker parts and basic bricks in decent condition).

So for $11 I got:

* 2 Fabuland figures
* 5 really clean unprinted minifigs and a classic fireman
* 12 old traffic signs
* 3 3x4 doors
* 4 4x2 windows
* 8 2x2 windows
* 7 small window shutters and holders
* a stack of Homemaker hands (balljoints+round plate)
* a couple of old printed bricks
* some flowers and four trees (no cypress, unfortunately)
* a Fabuland scooter

And they appreciated getting 3/4 of the Lego back, even if it's not the interesting parts :).

BTW, Batman CMF is up on S@H and there's been a 33% price increase! I wasn't too keen on them but now I really don't plan on getting more than few randoms.

BTW, Batman CMF is up on S@H and there's been a 33% price increase! I wasn't too keen on them but now I really don't plan on getting more than few randoms.

Link? I can't find it o US store. Series 16 was already $3.99, charging 33% more will put it beyond the $5 mark, which is insane.

By the way, is there any online store that sells a complete sealed box of minifigures?

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
I need that Adventure Time thing, but its probably gonne be expensive, won't it.

Ponn

Banned

Wow, the BMO build in the Dimensions set is like way better than that. I wonder how well this set will actually do. I'm going to pass since I already have the three Dimensions sets and those are fine for me with the figs. I like the Ice King though.

Koren

* 12 old traffic signs
I don't have many broken Legos, but man those signs were easy to break...

* some flowers and four trees (no cypress, unfortunately)
Just looked into BL to see which one was the cypress... Impressed by the prices. I hadn't thought it was that expensive (I think I have a couple of them... at least from the holiday house, probably a crossing, and maybe from a sign pack).

Boogiepop

Maaan, in retrospect I probably should've realized this once I saw the piece count versus the amount used in the first build, but that free bonus advent calendar expects you to break down the builds in order to make the next ones in the instructions. I suppose they did what they could considering they had to make enough on topic builds with 250 pieces, but it's still kind of disappointing. Especially when it turns out you can't even build both the first and second together, because they both need the same piece that you only have one of in the box.

Maaan, in retrospect I probably should've realized this once I saw the piece count versus the amount used in the first build, but that free bonus advent calendar expects you to break down the builds in order to make the next ones in the instructions. I suppose they did what they could considering they had to make enough on topic builds with 250 pieces, but it's still kind of disappointing. Especially when it turns out you can't even build both the first and second together, because they both need the same piece that you only have one of in the box.

Yeah, I got that LEGO Christmas free set back in October that says you can build a bunch of different things (Christmas trees, reindeer, etc.), but it says on the box that you can't build them all at the same time.

I'm fine with sets like the Creator line that have 3-in-1 builds, but when a set is just a bunch of tiny ones it's disappointing when they can't include enough pieces for all of them.

Yeah, I got that LEGO Christmas free set back in October that says you can build a bunch of different things (Christmas trees, reindeer, etc.), but it says on the box that you can't build them all at the same time.

I'm fine with sets like the Creator line that have 3-in-1 builds, but when a set is just a bunch of tiny ones it's disappointing when they can't include enough pieces for all of them.

It's free ...

TheFuzz

I can't tell if you guys are serious or if this is a really dry joke.

Lord help you if you're being serious.

Hagi

Wow they have the new Phantom priced at £40 on S@H, the new Skiff has like 5 more pieces but it £10 cheaper. Surely that can't be right. I'm sure that Rogue One Hover Tank even has more pieces.

Not up on US site. That is ridiculous. 30% increase on U.S. price would make that $5.20. I hope they round down to $5 and not up.

I don't get these big price increases. How about incremental increases like $0.25 every series or two instead of a big jump like that? The Batman CMFs definitely are of higher quality with the dual color moulds and nice printing, but that's ridiculous.
I'll still get them all, but I'll have to reduce the duplicate ones I would have gotten. I feel like LEGO is a dealer and is just upping the price because they know I'm addicted.

Rootbeer

Banned
4.99 had been rumored for a long time... Very unhappy about it. That's over $100 for the set assuming no dupes after tax.

Thanks LEGO. 3.99 was already difficult to justify. And these things almost NEVER go on sale. Something has come to give with these prices. LEGO needs to ease up on retailers and encourage thm to sell items below MSRP. Fed up with almost every time in get a coupon or there is a sale it clearly says NO LEGO.

iosefe

4.99 had been rumored for a long time... Very unhappy about it. That's over $100 for the set assuming no dupes after tax.

Thanks LEGO. 3.99 was already difficult to justify. And these things almost NEVER go on sale. Something has come to give with these prices. LEGO needs to ease up on retailers and encourage thm to sell items below MSRP. Fed up with almost every time in get a coupon or there is a sale it clearly says NO LEGO.

106.79 to be exact

Boogiepop

To be fair, it's just me being kind of OCD. I totally understand it, and under the circumstances it's pretty clearly the best option, most likely. All that said, for whatever reason I probably would've been happier with it if it was, like, "do steps 2-3 today, 4-5 tomorrow, then 6-8" or whatever to add up to X amount of complete models built using all the parts. AKA I know it's stupid, but it kind of bugs me that it expects me to pull it apart and rebuild constantly, and also knowing that I probably am going to end up with a good chunk of unused parts no matter what combination of little things I settle on.
Edit: But yeah, it's just a free little silly thing, so it's not a big deal. Just disappointed me a bit when I realized that.

TheFuzz

To be fair, it's just me being kind of OCD. I totally understand it, and under the circumstances it's pretty clearly the best option, most likely. All that said, for whatever reason I probably would've been happier with it if it was, like, "do steps 2-3 today, 4-5 tomorrow, then 6-8" or whatever to add up to X amount of complete models built using all the parts. AKA I know it's stupid, but it kind of bugs me that it expects me to pull it apart and rebuild constantly, and also knowing that I probably am going to end up with a good chunk of unused parts no matter what combination of little things I settle on.
Edit: But yeah, it's just a free little silly thing, so it's not a big deal. Just disappointed me a bit when I realized that.

I could see that, but remember, what you're talking about is akin to an advent calendar. That set is definitely not one of
those.

If there is a company more restrict about MSRP than Lego in the world I never heart of it.

I am not happy too because from series 15 to Disney we got a 50% raise in prices (from R$ 20 to R$ 30). We are still waiting for series 16 which are suposed to arrive this December. R$ 30 is already insanely high for a minifigure, but if the Batman series would be US$ 5 in the US Lego rule will say that it will cost R$ 40 here (or that they will never bring the series here).

Ponn

Banned
I am probably going to cave and buy a full box of the Batman CMF if we get them at work.
I will let you all know if I do and trade full sets.

Do that man, I was hoping we could get a box buy in going on in here for CMF. I'd totally be in for that ad future CMF lines.

Do that man, I was hoping we could get a box buy in going on in here for CMF. I'd totally be in for that ad future CMF lines.

Depends if we get them at work like we did with Disney. I don't know if I can't convince my boss to let me buy another full box again like with Disney. Although, selling out in a single day let us get more boxes and more product in the store in the end. My addiction is letting us get stuff in we normally wouldn't...

But if I do get a box, I will obviously let others know on here to trade for full sets like before.

It's free ...

Free with a $100 purchase, and they have some great free sets, like the recent Santa Snowglobe one. I just think that they should have either had less little builds in the set or done tinier builds. The Star Wars advent calendar doesn't have many more pieces and still manages to have builds for 15 sets or so plus minifigs. I'd have rather paid $15 or $20 and had more builds to go along with the cheap Santa and Elfs sets.

And no, I honestly don't care that much (I probably have enough loose LEGO pieces to make all of them myself), but my girlfriend was building it and was disappointed that she could only build a few of the tiny sets, and the instructions didn't do a good job of explaining which ones you could build without running out of pieces, so for someone new to LEGO it really wasn't much of a fun set for her, regardless of whether it was free or not.

It's definitely better than paying money for a set and being disappointed, that's for sure! I've got more of those than I'd care to admit (superhero sets I only bought for the minifigs, multiple duplicates from the minifig bags, Star Wars sets aren't really display worthy and come with 99% grey pieces, and some that were just not fun to build like the Architecture White House).

As long as people keep buying, they'll keep increasing the price. Stopping buying is the only way to get prices to go down.

Osahi

Wow they have the new Phantom priced at £40 on S@H, the new Skiff has like 5 more pieces but it £10 cheaper. Surely that can't be right. I'm sure that Rogue One Hover Tank even has more pieces.
I don't understand pricing on the new SW sets. It's crazy. Y-Wing is 80 euros for 700 pieces, which is good. Phantom 45 for 250??

Rootbeer

Banned
As long as people keep buying, they'll keep increasing the price. Stopping buying is the only way to get prices to go down.
I won't be skipping them. But I'm hoping lots of other people who are even more price conscious than me do.

I would vote with my wallet. But when it comes to CMF I'm too weak. Of course I'm a part of the problem. But it's totally justifiable to be outraged IMO. Afterall adult collectors are not the only buyers... fewer kids will be able to get many (if any) of these at these prices. When parents see these are $5 a pop they'll be less likely to impulse buy them, which is the entire point with these small blind bags anyway: to be easy purchases. You'll find CMF near the checkout isle in many stores for that reason.

I just hope everyone realizes that when LEGO released the first CMF series in 2010, the price for a pack was 1.99

So from 1.99 to 4.99 in 6 years... for a tiny, tiny packet of plastic pieces. Which btw are made in China, so you know the production cost is very reasonable for them at the scale they are working at.

Osahi

I am not getting as much CMF Batman's as I planned (they are 4 euro's over here, which is 33% more expensive then it was before) actually. 3 euro's would've pushed me to try to get them all, now I'll probably only hunt for Glam Metal Batman.

wetwired

Finally got the walls up on my Lego Studio. Stage 1 complete...

15369217_10154892287502994_3486736805655057577_o.jpg

15259173_10154892287517994_4872362315120054065_o.jpg

15304071_10154892287402994_1666155696829881752_o.jpg

I'm still sorting my collection into my new system so it's a bit of a mess. Eventually I'd like some billy bookshelves on the right hand wall where the hammock currently is for display

Looks good, although have you considered the effect of the washing machine? It could make for a very interesting rattling noise when it's that close to all those parts boxes.

mclem

You can build 2 and 3 together, then you only need to disassemble 2 to build 4.

Plus the 1:1 scale piece on the side is a separator, haha.

Is this the smallest set that includes a separator? Other than buying the separator alone, of course!

nny

So, any idea whether there will be a new promo after the snowglobe one ends (on the 10th) or is this all for this year's Christmas (EU store)?

...was the Toy Soldier available in EU? Missed that one.

Finally got the walls up on my Lego Studio. Stage 1 complete...

Looks great! One day I'll have one of these stations :)

Depends if we get them at work like we did with Disney. I don't know if I can't convince my boss to let me buy another full box again like with Disney. Although, selling out in a single day let us get more boxes and more product in the store in the end. My addiction is letting us get stuff in we normally wouldn't...

But if I do get a box, I will obviously let others know on here to trade for full sets like before.

Is there a way to order a full box online? Any webstore sells it?

I may order a full box from US and try to sell the remainings to get some money back.

A full box is 60 packs, right? We don't know atvthe moment how the figures are distributed.

Koren

I just hope everyone realizes that when LEGO released the first CMF series in 2010, the price for a pack was 1.99

So from 1.99 to 4.99 in 6 years... for a tiny, tiny packet of plastic pieces.
The fact it is a blind pack make things far worse, I think...

Still, I don't understand the disparity of prices. "Official price" is still 2.59€ here, and supermarkets regularly sell them for 1.99€ or 2.15€.

wetwired

Looks good, although have you considered the effect of the washing machine? It could make for a very interesting rattling noise when it's that close to all those parts boxes.

It's a dryer, it sits on top of a rubber mat on top of a small fridge and there's no contact with the table or drawers so it's fine.

I put the room to good use today finishing up the Ecto-Wing...

wetwired

I meant to post this earlier too, I found a tiny little light used for putting inside balloons to put inside KITT to make his light glow.

15293402_10154892452822994_2071365564_o.jpg

Koren

And in FOLLOWING THE INSTRUCTIONS news, I am quite happy with this =)
I really need to start BL-ing Cafe Corner (or rather something inspired from it). I want free time...

Very nice.....now make this interior for Cafe Corner.
There's a lot of interesting ideas for interior... I really like the "american diner" style of this one:
http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?/forums/topic/123135-moc-cafe-corner-interior/

I'll definitively keep some ideas (and the juke box microbuild)

I put the room to good use today finishing up the Ecto-Wing...
That's great...

I meant to post this earlier too, I found a tiny little light used for putting inside balloons to put inside KITT to make his light glow.
That's also great... ^_^ But I'd want to put an actual Larson scanner in this...

Very nice.....now make this interior for Cafe Corner.

Oh, that's really cute.

I dunno though. It's obviously a significant upgrade on the actual set, but I quite like the, purity, I guess? I like that what I have at the moment is the set as LEGO intended! I might start messing around with stuff like that in the future though, once I've built everything and I have nothing else to do with the series!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom