• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT5| DARKNESS! NO MONEY! (or Break the Rules! Mix the Bags!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

willp2003

I'm a big Star Wars fan and don't have the best star. I started off with the smaller scale stuff, but will only buy big ones now. Was tempted by the new AT-ST but display space is at a premium and I've got 3 unbuilt modulars to put up and a UCS sandcralwer! Once you go UCS you'll never go back!

I'm a big Star Wars fan and don't have the best star. I started off with the smaller scale stuff, but will only buy big ones now. Was tempted by the new AT-ST but display space is at a premium and I've got 3 unbuilt modulars to put up and a UCS sandcralwer! Once you go UCS you'll never go back!

I'm a space ship fan. I've bought a few land vehicles and locations pieces but I love the ships. Like I asked for the U-Wing from Rogue One for Xmas and I'm pretty sure that's a go. I just have to hope for some rereleases of some older stuff that I missed.

Went to TRU to get the Creepy Geoffrey set, but they still didn't have it on the shelf. After finally finding a clerk, she looked it up and said they should have tons of them. Ten minutes later she comes back with the set. Apparently it has just been sitting in their back room for a week or longer and people kept overlooking it.

But, Creepy Geoffrey GET!

Osahi

Likewise. Have the space for it, and 500 euro is a fucking lot. 350 for Disney Castle was already stretching my budget. I rather have more smaller sets.

Slave 1 fired up my USC love though. For now I have been able to hold of as I am no immense fan of Tie's and allready have a good looking playset one.

I did toy with the notion of putting the new Best Star on my top list of the year. I didn't get the new one, so it wouldn't feel right. However, it is similar enough to the old one I feel I can pass judgement and still call it one of my favorite sets.

Ponn

Banned
You know, I would love this Death Star:

Lego Star Wars Death Star II (Discontinued by manufacturer) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FTXNRI/?tag=neogaf0e-20

But the new one doesn't do it for me.

*high five* There are a few of us here that are in agreement on this, thats why I haven't gotten the "Best Star" myself. I was really hoping when the rumors started of the new Death Star this year they were going to do something like that set you just posted but it turned out to be just a refresh of the same set with a higher price tag. Maybe we will get another Death Star II in 10 years.

*high five* There are a few of us here that are in agreement on this, thats why I haven't gotten the "Best Star" myself. I was really hoping when the rumors started of the new Death Star this year they were going to do something like that set you just posted but it turned out to be just a refresh of the same set with a higher price tag. Maybe we will get another Death Star II in 10 years.

The new one, to me is a big glorified doll house for Star Wars mini figures. I'm not trying to down it, I can see how it appeals to people. But I would rather have a visual representation of the actual base.

willp2003

....,I am no immense fan of Tie's and allready have a good looking playset one.

I thought the UCS one looked boring until I got it. It's impressive! After that, anything smaller feels wrong!
Just look at the size of it!
F9EC19A9-F3B6-4C16-BFA9-5965A40A374C_zpstnvjj85c.jpg

Might get round to building the sandcralwer tomorrow...

Speak of the devil, my wife and I exchanged one gift tonight and we exchanged the ones we each other knew about. So I put together the U-Wing tonight. It was a pretty fun build. Most importantly, Rogue One is complete.

IkzwyI4.jpg

mKIxCqp.jpg

Minecraft 2017 1H (technically prelims, so only linking):

https://m.imgur.com/a/DgVSU#vQKmRAk

THE SLIMES! THE CAT!

Why won't Lego make the damn chicken!? I won't believe Lego Minecraft will end until the chicken is in a set. Once that happens that's like the final legacy mob so they can end it.

But if they did the Jungle Temple then I'd bet they'll make a Desert Temple too so I'd be willing to bet there'll be at least one more wave. Polar Bears and Wraiths, Desert Temple, a The End tower, a farm with some chickens, the end.

All those Star Wars displays make me reconsider my no sw sets rule. But the only sets that I really like are the x-wings and ties. USC must have retired a long time ago and be pretry expensive, no? Maybe just a display with x-wings only....

Osahi

All those Star Wars displays make me reconsider my no sw sets rule. But the only sets that I really like are the x-wings and ties. USC must have retired a long time ago and be pretry expensive, no? Maybe just a display with x-wings only....

UCS Tie is still available and was even discounted 20% on S@H in Europe last Black Friday. Almost bit the bullet then, but I can't justify the price per part ratio, even discounted, and regardless of how massive the thing is.

Koren

but I can't justify the price per part ratio, even discounted
At 20% (based on 219€), it was 0.104€/part. I don't think it's that bad, considering that there's parts and parts... When many sets up the piece count by using a lot of common tiny pieces in microbuilds, it's not the case here.

I fully understand people that find it too expensive (in fact, I'd say all Lego sets are expensive... especially minifigs ;) ). But I don't think price per part ratio is that a good metric for sets like the Tie Figther.

Osahi

At 20% (based on 219€), it was 0.104€/part. I don't think it's that bad, considering that there's parts and parts... When many sets up the piece count by using a lot of common tiny pieces in microbuilds, it's not the case here.

I fully understand people that find it too expensive (in fact, I'd say all Lego sets are expensive... especially minifigs ;) ). But I don't think price per part ratio is that a good metric for sets like the Tie Figther.

I know. And i buy sets with worse ratios. But havinh just gotten Slave 1, which had more bricks and figs at a lower price, the Tie was too much, at least psychologically

ghostmind

Np1vSGj.jpg

2016 was a really odd year for me. Usually I trend towards picking up most of the large "direct-to-consumer (D2C)" sets, and those end up making the bulk of my "Best of the Year" lists. However this year I found myself feeling ambivalent about most of the D2C set reveals, and ended up picking up only a fraction of them. The silver lining was that I focused more on the smaller sets, and cemented my affection for a certain theme.

0IN6MP1.jpg

JmJ32zU.jpg

10. 70316 Jestro's Evil Mobile

Truth be told, Nexo Knights did not blow me away as the new "Action" theme for 2016. I did find a few gems in this theme however, and my favorite of these is Evil Mobile. The brick-built giant Sparkks, pulling a diabolical massive chariot, the awesome steed Lance's robo-horse, and the titular characters Jestro and the Book of Monsters combined to make this a fun set to both build and play.

W7k0bp1.jpg

9. 31044 Park Animals

My first set of 2016 outlasts many others to make the list. LEGO has been killing it for several years with their CREATOR animal sets, and 31044 may be the best one yet. The dog and duck are adorable, the ducklings clever, and the alt-builds are solid. This one will be on display for years to come.

lea9TNe.jpg

8. 76051 Super Hero Airport Battle

The ultimate Avenger vs Avenger battle in Civil War is captured in this set to great effect. Make no mistake though, this set would not have made this list if not for the brick-built Giant-Man fig. With a much greater scale and improved posability over the previous bigfigs, the Giant-Man fig is a great new addition that will likely be repeated in future sets. The Quinjet is "okay", but suffers in comparison to previous versions, and the airport tower is uninspiring. Bonus points for the Ant-Man microfig though.

vmSztc4.jpg

7. 60134 Fun in the park - City People Pack

This set is an important development in several ways. First, it includes the debut of a wheelchair-bound minifig, a great addition to LEGO's diversity. Second, it marks the debut of the new baby minifig, which has been desired for a long time. Third, this is a CITY pack that is only minifigs and some small associated builds to flesh out one's city build. No policemen, firemen, or vehicles make this a refreshing change for LEGO.

K4uKg7m.jpg

6. 75153 AT-ST Walker

With the debut of Rogue One less than a week away, this set represents the best of an extremely solid initial wave of sets for this subtheme. It's been a while since we had a proper AT-ST, and this build is a much improved representation than the previous AT-ST that came with the Endor Bunker set from 2009.

oCKO2ZD.jpg

5. 31052 Vacation Getaways

The premiere CREATOR set for 2016 features an amazing main-build, with two almost-as-great alt-builds that makes me want to buy three copies of this set. The camper is a superior CITY-scale vehicle, complete with a curious bear. The alt sets are a house that is another great addition to the CREATOR houses subtheme, and could be a main build set in its own right. The boat is one of the best CITY-style crafts since the theme's inception. I can't say enough about how awesome this set is.

K25G0qX.jpg

4. 75140 Resistance Troop Transporter

At the start of this year, looking ahead at the leaked Star Wars sets, I never expected this set to become on of my favorite sets of the year. This set only had a minute or so of screentime in the Force Awakens, and took a back seat to ships like the Falcon, Kylo Ren's Shuttle, Poe's X-Wing, and the new FO TIE Fighters. Once I started building these sets, I learned the hidden truth - this set is full of advanced building techniques and additional touches that were not necessary, but add up to create a great interpretation of this ship.

GvdQz9h.jpg

3. 10251 Brick Bank

A Jamie Berard modular building only makes the 3rd spot? The truth is, the solid competition this year, combined with the revitalization of the modular building subtheme over the last several years, result in a solid modular not reaching the top spot. There is nothing wrong with this set, and it is a great addition to my modular row, but it also doesn't stand out greatly from the rest of the modular sets, and does not reach the heights of the Parisian Restaurant in brilliance.A solid addition to a cornerstone theme.

1ZLmD83.jpg

2. 10252 Volkswagen Beetle

Full stop - this is the best "advanced-build vehicle" released by LEGO to-date. As Phon mentioned in his list, the Beetle was designed by Mike Psiaki, who also created another set in this top ten - Vacation Getaways. Pisaki has built a marvel here, capturing the curves of the Beetle with the assistance of some new elements, in a huge improvement over the previous Beetle. Everything is scaled superbly, adding up to an excellent display piece for both hardcore and casual LEGO fans alike. This is the "Parisian Restaurant" of the advanced vehicle subtheme, and will be tough to beat in future additions.

tUbtNDl.jpg

1. 76057 Spider-Man: Web Warriors Ultimate Bridge Battle

Disclosure - I am a huge fan of "classic" Spider-Man - I grew up reading "Amazing Spider-Man", and it was my favorite comic for almost a decade. This set encapsulates a scenario which fit in perfectly with the stories of that time, and includes a trio of classic Spider-Man villains which I have been waiting for. The bridge is both an excellent display piece, and a multi-featured playset, and is one of those rare sets where the negatives are hard to come up with. I fell in love with this set when it was initially revealed at Toy Fair, and the reality lived up to the promise. I am happy to present the Bridge Battle as my set of the year.

J0olq8P.jpg

Jmx3CHR.jpg

MwPxRRu.jpg

PD4uZt7.jpg

zqNcWdj.jpg

w6A8o6h.jpg

f0OLqDp.jpg

Let's be frank - it can be argued that CREATOR has been "theme of the year" for the last several years at least. This theme has been the dependable stalwart of quality sets, containing excellent builds. It is also one of the few themes with official "alt builds", and a comparably reasonable price point, making most sets in this theme an excellent value.

eua02DA.jpg

5GnutKD.jpg

5002946 Silver Centurion
A classic Iron Man armor from the 80's makes its LEGO debut, with a highly-detailed representation of one of my favorite armors. The only downside is that it was a videogame preorder bonus, making it expensive to acquire.

jvpMOdu.jpg

MiWIjfG.jpg

71013 Hiker

A new exclusive backpack, compass and map add to a great looking CMF.

7mVu3x8.jpg

My Top Sets of 2015
My Top Sets of 2014
My Top Sets of 2013
My Top Sets of 2012

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
So, rather than get the whole advent calendar, I just bought the Snowbacca figure. A lot cheaper than I thought it would be on ebay, only $6.

ghostmind

We shall see if there are surprises.

And do you mean surprises in sets or their ranking?

A little of both I hope. This year we had some similarities, as we always do, but some pretty big differences as well.

I'm hoping the big D2C sets for 2017 are more to my liking - the fact that I only know about 3 of them makes me excited for the reveals.

Looks like someone else got Geoffrey and friends too.

Partway through designing the theme for this year, I was laughing out loud at this post.

golem

Man I just bought a mega bloks Destiny set (I'm a sucker) and theyre still nowhere near LEGO's level unfortunately. Even the instructions are needlessly confusing. Hope Halo makes the leap to actual LEGO(tm) sets.

Man I just bought a mega bloks Destiny set (I'm a sucker) and theyre still nowhere near LEGO's level unfortunately. Even the instructions are needlessly confusing. Hope Halo makes the leap to actual LEGO(tm) sets.

Doubtful that TLC would jump on any heavy militarized IP. Star Wars was already crossing a line due to guns and stuff.

TheFuzz

Dammit Ghostmind and the rest of you!!

I just ordered the Resistance troop transport. $40 on Target, I've had it... hearing just how good this set is finally got to me.

mclem

Even the instructions are needlessly confusing.

I have to say, after going through the Disney Castle build, I do think one of the unheralded champions of the Lego brand is their approach to instructions, imparting all the essential information with no language required at all, all pictorial, all clear. The only thing that I think is never quite perfect is colour rendition, but that's always going to be a bit tricky anyhow.

I have to say, after going through the Disney Castle build, I do think one of the unheralded champions of the Lego brand is their approach to instructions, imparting all the essential information with no language required at all, all pictorial, all clear.
Is it just me, or does LEGO tend to have more steps in their instructions nowadays than they did back in the 90s/2000s? It feels like what would have been one step with multiple pieces is now spread out into 2-3 steps, one per piece type.

Is it just me, or does LEGO tend to have more steps in their instructions nowadays than they did back in the 90s/2000s? It feels like what would have been one step with multiple pieces is now spread out into 2-3 steps, one per piece type.
It depends on the set and age range. The more adult themed sets or UCS stuff definitely does more in a single step than the smaller $20 sets.

papluh

Recently did some Technic sets
- new 42053 Volvo EW160E excavator with 1166 pieces - gets paper manual for main model with 252 pages
- old 8880 Supercar and 8480 Space Shuttle both around 1350 pieces - have paper manuals of 92 or 108 pages and always for both A and B models

So there is definitely an inflation in number of instruction steps in Technic over the years :)

I'm loving these top 10 lists! I'll have mine up next week.

Over the last few years I've often complained about how my minifigs just end up in sorted boxes in a closet. I have 20-30 of these things in my cold room, and it's a waste. Excuse the potato pic.

I think I may have mentioned that my 10 year old has gotten heavy into building over the last few weeks so she asked why I didn't build a display for some of my figures. I decided to go for it while she added on to her "mansion in progress".

As someone who does zero MOCing, it was fun but even with all of my sorted bricks it was tough to find enough of the right color. Ryuuroden, I basically exhausted my 1xN dark grey bricks to do this tiny build so I don't know how the hell you did Orthanc.

My plan is to build a central workshop with a few extra working bays to accommodate the forthcoming figs and the Heartbreaker armor. The only one I don't have a place for right now is the Iron Patriot fig but the collector in me is still reticent to crack it open.

I don't have many 90s/2000s sets, but back in the late 70s and early 80s the instructions were basically this:

There was literally no indication that a 1x2 plate had been added to the back of the image so you'd end up with an unstable build with spare pieces if you weren't careful.

It depends on the set and age range. The more adult themed sets or UCS stuff definitely does more in a single step than the smaller $20 sets.

This is a fair point - the Creator Expert & UCS line is more generous. I seem to recall a single step in Grand Emporium that had something like 128 of a certain piece, and over 300 in total..

That part of Grand Emporium is both awesome and terrible. It is so repetitive, but it looks so great when done.

But Tower Bridge wins for most in a step, especially if you are doing both towers at once. So many cheese slopes.

There are also sets that hand hold early one, then near the end as you do a technique again, they just toss you in the deep end expecting you to understand.
The end of the Ferris Wheel is particular guilty of this with all the seating cars.

For as much LEGO stuff that I bought this year, barely any of them are actually 2016 sets.

My favorite sets that I bought this year are:
  1. Pet Shop (Loved this set, and having two separate building made it great to build with my girlfriend)
  2. Parisian Restaurant (very good, with tons of great little details. The tiled floor was annoying to do though.)
  3. Rey's Speeder (surprising great set for how small it is, looks great and Rey's minifig is really good)

And my favorite freebies from LEGO this year were:
  1. Classic Batman Mr Freeze (can't wait to include it with the Batcave set)
  2. Darth REVAN (LOVE Knights of the Old Republic)
  3. Santa Snow globe (fantastic looking little set)

I got the AT-ST and the First Order Tie Fighter, but neither of those really did much for me. I didn't have any space for the Tie Fighter, and other than the cool head swivel, the AT-ST was pretty basic IMO. I think I'd have preferred to get Krennic's Shuttle rather than those two, I'm thinking of selling them for just that reason.

Fowler

For as much LEGO stuff that I bought this year, barely any of them are actually 2016 sets.

My favorite sets that I bought this year are:
  1. Pet Shop (Loved this set, and having two separate building made it great to build with my girlfriend)
  2. Parisian Restaurant (very good, with tons of great little details. The tiled floor was annoying to do though.)
  3. Rey's Speeder (surprising great set for how small it is, looks great and Rey's minifig is really good)

And my favorite freebies from LEGO this year were:
  1. Classic Batman Mr Freeze (can't wait to include it with the Batcave set)
  2. Darth REVAN (LOVE Knights of the Old Republic)
  3. Santa Snow globe (fantastic looking little set)

I got the AT-ST and the First Order Tie Fighter, but neither of those really did much for me. I didn't have any space for the Tie Fighter, and other than the cool head swivel, the AT-ST was pretty basic IMO. I think I'd have preferred to get Krennic's Shuttle rather than those two, I'm thinking of selling them for just that reason.

I am continually surprised, amazed and so happy that we got a Revan minifig.

I am disturbed by the lack of creepy Geoffrey photos.

I am also sad all the stars on Geoffrey are stickers. I thought maybe since so many are the same parts they would have printed them. Definitely a good set for bright orange color parts.

As a person that almost never puts stickers on, I feel I need to for Ant-Man if I don't plan on dismantling him.

"Let's play kids! I get my stars by eating kids."
iQBkkh1.jpg

Giant Man to the rescue!
uZEpCJi.jpg
NvlJIRC.jpg

And the kids live happily ever without any mental scars.
mIs2Oi3.jpg

I'm loving these top 10 lists! I'll have mine up next week.

Over the last few years I've often complained about how my minifigs just end up in sorted boxes in a closet. I have 20-30 of these things in my cold room, and it's a waste. Excuse the potato pic.

I think I may have mentioned that my 10 year old has gotten heavy into building over the last few weeks so she asked why I didn't build a display for some of my figures. I decided to go for it while she added on to her "mansion in progress".

As someone who does zero MOCing, it was fun but even with all of my sorted bricks it was tough to find enough of the right color. Ryuuroden, I basically exhausted my 1xN dark grey bricks to do this tiny build so I don't know how the hell you did Orthanc.

My plan is to build a central workshop with a few extra working bays to accommodate the forthcoming figs and the Heartbreaker armor. The only one I don't have a place for right now is the Iron Patriot fig but the collector in me is still reticent to crack it open.

Great idea from your 10 yr old. Cheapest way to display large amount of minifigs though is to make display cases.

You can never have too many light grey or dark grey bricks.
As for Ryuuroden, he built Orthanc with blood, sweat, and $$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

EDIT: By making display cases, I meant like with Ikea frames or buying existing plastic display cases.

Osahi

Started building Krennics Shuttle yesterday night. Halfway trough and about to restart to finish up. It looks to be smaller then expected, but the build is pretty great. It leans a lot on technic techniques and parts (like Lego Star Wars ships tend to do), but it's very cool to see come together. It also has the kind of 'I don't know what I'm building, oh, wait, that's... wow'-moments I know you all love (the pilot seat for instance)

And the figs looks great...

Also grabbed Tie Striker yesterday as I needed to use a 10 euro coupon I still had. Toy Store was practically plundered after Saint Nicholas festivities. Next purchase will be the Y-Wing, but that will be for january second. Toy shop I frequent does little actions where you get a discount coupon or save points towards a discount that is only available the next month. For now I have 10% of Disney stuff (including Lego Star Wars) and 20 euro in discount, only viable in january.

Osahi

It looks to be smaller then expected, but the build is pretty great.

I take that back. Thing looks big once finished! It's not as big as Kylo's or Tyderium, but big nonetheless.

This Rogue One wave has been pretty great. Hope the Tie Striker is as good, and I am tempted to order the boring looking hovertank too now.s

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom