• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT5| DARKNESS! NO MONEY! (or Break the Rules! Mix the Bags!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rootbeer

Banned
LEGO Worlds will change its pricing early next year as it converts from Early Access to full retail. From 14.99 to 24.99 on Steam. Same price will be on the console versions (which are not out yet.)

Lock in the lower price if it interests you.

Regarding LEGO patents, the basic block patents are expired so anyone can produce those.

In Google Patent search: https://www.google.com/advanced_patent_search
use "LEGO" in the “assignee” field.

LEGO does have a LOT of other patents on "non-basic" elements that are not expired. "Clone" companies can't legally duplicate those elements (unless they don't observe international patent laws). This is probably why clone brands such as Mega Bloks have similar, but noticeably different elements to corresponding LEGO elements, but basic blocks, plates, etc are the same.

Hope this clears things up.

-----------------------------

Regarding buying bricks that match an existing LEGO set, I think it's completely legit when buying LEGO parts via places such as Bricklink. LEGO does get the money from the original buyer. It's no different than a person buying a LEGO set then selling it later.

As for Lepin selling the parts that happen to match the exact parts for a set, I think that may be legit via a huge loophole. The caveat is all the elements are ones where the patents expired and no trademarked or copyrighted material is used.

-----------------------------

Bought 2 of these bad boys at Target using the $25 off $100+ coupon!
Not for me though. Two kids (not mine) will get them as presents and I hope they like them. It would be such a waste if they didn't because I could have given them a home where they would have been enjoyed.
I haven't seen the movie, but if it's in the movie demand for that set should be higher than it already is.

28568612080_dc6624fef6_n.jpg

Regarding buying bricks that match an existing LEGO set, I think it's completely legit when buying LEGO parts via places such as Bricklink. LEGO does get the money from the original buyer. It's no different than a person buying a LEGO set then selling it later.

When "Bricklinking" a set, I'll always shop Pick-a-brick and Bricks-and-Pieces first. It's not the cheapest way of doing things, but it feels like the right one, haha.

Some of my minifigures has black marker ink on them (Thankfully, not the pricey ones).

What's the best way to remove them without affecting the prints?

Maengun1

That thing happened again

isn't interested in Rogue One sets
sees Rogue One
needs every Rogue One set

For real though on Krennic's ship and the blue white & yellow one

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
Bought 2 of these bad boys at Target using the $25 off $100+ coupon!
Not for me though. Two kids (not mine) will get them as presents and I hope they like them. It would be such a waste if they didn't because I could have given them a home where they would have been enjoyed.
I haven't seen the movie, but if it's in the movie demand for that set should be higher than it already is.

28568612080_dc6624fef6_n.jpg

They need to love it, because it is just awesome. Started building it yesterday and had planned to stop at bag two so I can finish it today..but I could not :D!
I bought it after we got out of the cinema and from all the star wars lego sets this was the only one were they had only one box left, so people really seem to love it.
It also looks way better in real life than on the box imho.

childhood me would have never let it go.

A non-AFOL friend of mine called and was in trouble - he wanted to get the Yellow Submarine for his wife, but S@H was acting up and wouldn't have delivered in time anyway. Luckily I had a spare unopened, so it worked out. And I could order a new one with double VIP.

Another friend just got the Ecto-1. Ideas is really bringing in more fans.

If only the research institute was still around, we might have snared the last guy in our pub quiz group, who is a science teacher.

Edit: Goddammit. Lego just cancelled my order since I had bought two previously. How am I going to replace it now?

The last three sets I've opened have had pieces missing:Fun in the Park, AT-ST, and Brick Bank

In the last 5 years, I haven't had single piece missing.

Is this a sign of the times or am I desperately unlucky?

Osahi

Grabbed the Y-Wing today. Lego does a 15% of Star Wars sets this weekend in Belgium, so I pulled the trigger faster than planned.

My Hovertank arrived too. Now I have all Togue One sets bar the (overpriced) Scariff one, which I might get if it dips well below rrp (more then 15% at least)

Wanted to grab the new microfighters on shop at home, but as I allready had the Y-Wing from the book, my order only amounts to 29,97. 5 euro short for free shipping and 0,03 short for a free A-Wing pilot :(

Plum

So I've made a to-scale (approximately) mock-up of how I'd like to set out my modular collection when I eventually get around to buying them all:

(Excuse the poor quality, there's not many good front views of all these out there)

Thoughts? Anything I should change around?

So I've made a to-scale (approximately) mock-up of how I'd like to set out my modular collection when I eventually get around to buying them all:

(Excuse the poor quality, there's not many good front views of all these out there)

Thoughts? Anything I should change around?

I think Parisian Restaurant works better at the end of the lane, alley or right next to a park or something (at least it is hiw I intent to display mine).

By the way my first modulars are coming! Got the Pet Shop and I know that Parisian Restaurant would be my Xmas present. I will slowly buy the others. I just not excited to get Palace Cinema thought. Looks the worse of the bunch.

The Palace Cinema looks fantastic built, it's not a thrilling build and the internal is sparse but it looks lovely in the street.

I like the Parisian Restaurant next to the Detectives office personally, because they're both a bit shorter then on the adjoining sides.

DonShula

Is there a reference available on which sets are retiring and when? Kinda new to this whole Lego-as-a-hobby thing and I don't want to miss the Ewok Village if it's retiring soon.

My son took a sudden interest in Ninjago recently and decided to buy the Ninja Bike Chase last night. I helped him put it together since he's 4 (although he's quite good at this for a four year old already - he understands the instructions better than my almost 7 year old). Anyway, it struck me standing in the store that there wasn't a wide variety of Ninjago sets from a price standpoint. Nothing below $20 where we were and of course the highest end set was $100+. Anyway, we build this thing and it strikes me again that the set is essentially three smaller sets that could have easily been priced at $5-$10 each. The three vehicles look cool on their own and each had their own mini figure, and looked like something I would have purchased in a sub-$10 set when I was a kid. From a value standpoint, I'm not complaining, as they could easy sell those three vehicles individually for over $20 MSRP combined, but I don't understand Lego creating the artificial barrier to entry by packaging them together. If they made it easier for an impressionable four year old to get his hands on one good quality vehicle and a minifigure, I'm sure that would drive interest and further sales. Maybe Lego doesn't feel they need to do that to get our business. Struck me as odd.

Osahi

Built the Y-Wing. I must say this is a brilliant set. Can't compare to previous versions, but the way they shaped the cockpit is very cool. There is quite some SNOT going on, and a lot of greebling (lots and lots of 1x1 parts to add texture). Fig collection is great to. (And as one of the characters barely made the Rogue One cut, I guess we will never see him again in another set). Really like the droid, with his transparant dome. Printing is a tad of on mine though (wonder if it would merit a replacement. It's not perfectly aligned)

Also: the bomb drop playfeature is incredibly welldone

Some downsides? The stickers on the engines are hard to allign. The droid sits sideways and you have to turn the turret to open tye cockpit, or you pull it off. But overall, for me, the best RO set after AT-ST

The Palace Cinema looks fantastic built, it's not a thrilling build and the internal is sparse but it looks lovely in the street.

I like the Parisian Restaurant next to the Detectives office personally, because they're both a bit shorter then on the adjoining sides.
Seconding this arrangement. Those two look great together.

Parisian restaraunt and the full pet shop look best together imo. One of the reasons I chose it as my next modular.

That reminds me I'm behind on modulars. I need to check my backlog. I can't remember where I left on in term so release dates. I think it was Parisian, but I'm not sure. :O

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
Is there a reference available on which sets are retiring and when? Kinda new to this whole Lego-as-a-hobby thing and I don't want to miss the Ewok Village if it's retiring soon.

in the lego online shop you can order the available sets in a "retiring soon" order.

Ponn

Banned

My son took a sudden interest in Ninjago recently and decided to buy the Ninja Bike Chase last night. I helped him put it together since he's 4 (although he's quite good at this for a four year old already - he understands the instructions better than my almost 7 year old). Anyway, it struck me standing in the store that there wasn't a wide variety of Ninjago sets from a price standpoint. Nothing below $20 where we were and of course the highest end set was $100+. Anyway, we build this thing and it strikes me again that the set is essentially three smaller sets that could have easily been priced at $5-$10 each. The three vehicles look cool on their own and each had their own mini figure, and looked like something I would have purchased in a sub-$10 set when I was a kid. From a value standpoint, I'm not complaining, as they could easy sell those three vehicles individually for over $20 MSRP combined, but I don't understand Lego creating the artificial barrier to entry by packaging them together. If they made it easier for an impressionable four year old to get his hands on one good quality vehicle and a minifigure, I'm sure that would drive interest and further sales. Maybe Lego doesn't feel they need to do that to get our business. Struck me as odd.

There's no exact way to track retiring sets. The Lego S@H site is useful when they label retiring soon sets but sometimes they don't label them and often times it's a bit late. You get a feel for certain themes sets retiring when new waves come out. If you want Ewok Village get it real soon.

As far as Ninjago that has always been one of the more kid friendly themes with multiple price points and keeping a couple seasons worth of sets on the shelf at same time. I suggest going to the S@H site to see all available sets and ordering there or waiting for restock. Keep in mind it's Christmas and Lego is extremely popular and shelves start to become pretty bare right about now.

teeny

Currently having some trouble with the Holiday Train. The pin and gear doesn't clip in to place at all and the tree on top is incredibly loose. When I do manage to balance it correctly, it doesn't spin as it's meant to.

I must have missed something somewhere but can't find it for the life of me. Ugh.

EDIT: I figured it out. Missing piece. Gonna blame the significant other :p

TheFuzz

Resistance Troop Transport halfway done.

You guys win. This thing is so awesome. Love the techniques so far, and it's so meaty and has great parts.

Extra parts are great, but if your set is missing a key part then it's inexcusable. People on Eurobricks have been complaining about an increased frequency of missing parts for the last year.

I think the worst missing part in a Lego set for me, was I got a random Mixel that didn't have the eyeball pieces, it had 2 gray 1x1 brick

I ended up with a missing piece on the Star Destroyer last year

It was an angled flat piece. I was surprised to discover I didn't have any extras, I had to wait for LEGO to get the piece to me

For $20 (actually $12, thanks to TRU's BOGO sale) the City Pizza Van is an awesome little build, The only thing I don't like is that there aren't any easy "handles" on the side panel wings to fold them up once they're wedged down into position.

That, and the chef doesn't come with a chef's hat to match the sticker image.

I've spent a good part of today discovering PPUNG's motorized and RC LEGO MODs. Some are pretty simple, and others quite complex... like this RC Best Star:

https://youtu.be/Ldgok7Qoetg

Destruction of Alderaan was the best part.

CITY summer Jungle Explorers subtheme:

GotG 2:

kUVtl4K.jpg

Mantis!

Jungle theme has potential. Better have tons of foliage elements. Hopefully nothing that I would find interesting because 2017 will be another expensive year for me with all the Super Hero sets.

This seems an intriguing definition of 'city'

After Artic, Deep Sea and Volcano Explorers?

Actually I am glad that Lego includes those subthemes in the boring Cops&Firemen City line. Brings some life to it. I mean, I like city building and thus the City line, but very few sets are actually intersting. Friends does the City line better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom