• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT5| DARKNESS! NO MONEY! (or Break the Rules! Mix the Bags!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it is hard to draw a line in the case of Batman. Bruce, alternative reality Batmen, past Batmen, copycats, etc.

By the rule of Bruce variant, Bat-mice would not be included, since he is a copycat. Terry is Batman, but it is not Bruce.

I would make a Batman family display, and included robin, batgirl, batwonan, and even Alfred.

A bigger display would include Batman rogues.

But the point is: It is your display, your rules. Anything fits.

Osahi

I've built every 2016 set I own, apart from the Imperial Hoovertank which probably won't make a top 10 anyway. So here it is: My Top 10 2016. I must add that I mainly buy Star Wars and Creator Expert, so it will be a onesided top. Also, I am to lazy for pictures.

10: Ecto 1 + 2

Let's start with something out of the left field. I don't think this will make many lists, nor do I believe this set actually did well (it being practically a D2C set doesnt help). But I want to sing it's praise anyway. I believe its unpopularity is mostly due to the film not being a great succes. The vehicle built, which offcourse takes a lot of cues from the original Ecto-1 is pretty great, with some nice techniques for the headlights section and the shaping of the trunk. It fits the 4 busters side to side too and has opening doors (though the hinges are ugly). But let's be clear. The main attraction for this is the figures selection. Not only does all the Ghostbusters have unique torsos, their faces capture the features of their real life counterparts perfectly and you get some pretty neat new hear molds too. The Demon not being a Slimer is disapointing though.

9: Fun in the Park

Talking about minifigs. This set deserves a nod just because it's something truly unique. A massive figures parts pack, with some long awaited new stuff like a wheelchari and a baby. My Modular Street might have an overpopulation problem now, but it was so worth it.

8. Krennic's Shuttle

A great build with some nice suprises. A model that is incredibly faithfull to what you see on the screen and cool figures. Sometimes that's all you need

7. Y-Wing

It's an iconisch Star Wars ship, and comparing it to pics and video's of previous versions, this seems easily the best nog UCS-version yet. Lot's of detail, cool figs and a great bombdropping playfeature makes this worthy of a top 10 nod

6. Winter Holiday Train

I wasn't a fan of this when it was first shown. Now it is the piece the resistance in my holiday decorations lineup. It's a very cute train that instantly draws attention of visitors.

And then you have them push it and they go all 'woaaaah' when the christmass tree starts rotating. Cute!

5. Brick Bank

The new entry in my favourite line is only at 5. This is mainly because the rest of the year was so packed with cool sets. I honestly love Brick Bank. I love it's classical look. I love the little story going on inside with the money laundry. I love the chandelier.

It's just not as great as Parisian Restaurant (the GOAT) and Detective's Office.

4. Resistance Troop Transport

How can such a borring ship, that only has a minute of screentime in the movie, warrant such a brilliant build? This is by far the most fun building experience of any 2016 Star Wars set I have. Packed with suprising techniques, litte sidebuilds you only realise its purpose of once you fit it into the rest of the build, etc. It is worth all its praise.

Only reason there is one Star Wars set above this, is that to me, as someone who buys Lego mainly for displaying purpose, it seriously lacks in displayabilty. It's just so boring. But for kids and build-lovers, this could very well be the best Star Wars set in ages.

3. AT-ST

The best Star Wars set of the year comes from the brilliant Rogue One line. This thing has a fun build with neat techniques, looks awesome and has some cool figs. But it is the rotating head feature that seals the deal. Brilliant.

2. Volkswagen Beetle

What can I see. I first ventured out of the Dark Ages with the Camper. First picture I saw of the Beetle, I was in love. Building it that love only grew. This is to me almost on par with Resistance Troop Transport in the building department, with lot's of neat techniques and little AHA-moments when you realise what you are actually building, or what the purpose of a seemingly strangely placed piece is. And it looks incredibly on display too.

1. Disney Castle

Before this I never spent more then 170 euro's on a set. The only line I actually could bring myself to spending so much on was the Modular line. This was double the price of the most expensive modular, so it hurt a big deal pulling the trigger on spending all that money.

I haven't regretted it for a single moment. As a Disney fan this is a dream come true. It has a fantastic build, especially with all the microbuilds full of Disney nostalgia. It looks incredible and imposing once finished. And it is the only set I have ever moved to another place just to show visitors (usually it's on my desk, but I brought it to the living room allready 4 times just to show of). Incredible, incredible set.

Out of competition nod

Seriously, how brilliant was the Disney CMF series?

Best non-2016 set I build this year:

Slave-1. It doesn't need introduction I guess. What. A. Beast.

3. AT-AT

The best Star Wars set of the year comes from the brilliant Rogue One line. This thing has a fun build with neat techniques, looks awesome and has some cool figs. But it is the rotating head feature that seals the deal. Brilliant.

AT-ST?

My personal favorites from the lines I collect would be:

CITY Pizza Van (Special Mention: Airport Cargo Plane)
CREATOR Corner Deli (Special Mention: Treehouse Adventures)
FRIENDS Hot Dog Stand
STAR WARS Resistance Troop Transport

Disappointment of the year: STAR WARS Assault on Hoth UCS

Osahi

AT-ST?

My personal favorites from the lines I collect would be:

CITY Pizza Van (Special Mention: Airport Cargo Plane)
CREATOR Corner Deli (Special Mention: Treehouse Adventures)
FRIENDS Hot Dog Stand
STAR WARS Resistance Troop Transport

Disappointment of the year: STAR WARS Assault on Hoth UCS

AT-ST it is. Typo. Thanks for flagging this.

wetwired

I think it is hard to draw a line in the case of Batman. Bruce, alternative reality Batmen, past Batmen, copycats, etc.

By the rule of Bruce variant, Bat-mice would not be included, since he is a copycat. Terry is Batman, but it is not Bruce.

I would make a Batman family display, and included robin, batgirl, batwonan, and even Alfred.

A bigger display would include Batman rogues.

But the point is: It is your display, your rules. Anything fits.

Yeah I definitely have no room for rogues, as it stands I can fit 6 rows of minifigs, either rows of 11 or 12, I'm leaning towards 12 which will allow 72 minifigs.

As it stands I have 32 right now. I have ordered 10 KOs which are on their way and there's at least 12 I know of coming from the Lego Batman Movie. I am also going to make some custom Green and Yellow Lantern Batmen (just use the bodies from GL and Sinestro with cape and cowl) So all of those is 56 so I'm short 16, They'll probably order more KOs and Customs to fill that out, either that or temporarily have Batgirl, Bruce Wayne, Robin etc in there.

Lego will undoubtedly release more over time so I suspect a lot of the KOs and customs will get the boot in favor of official ones.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Okay I didn't know about this RC Technic car but I need it now.

https://shop.lego.com/en-GB/RC-Tracked-Racer-42065?RMID=VIP_2016_12_19_NEW_EMEA_New1&RRID=3934968762

Wanted to check some Legos and was flabbergasted by how expensive they are now. When did this become a rich kid's hobby?

Forever. Start with a little set, maybe a 3 in 1 car or something, and then watch as it spirals out of control.

Wanted to check some Legos and was flabbergasted by how expensive they are now. When did this become a rich kid's hobby?

In real dollars, the price of Lego has been flat or even decreased over time (except for collectible minifigures). Buy what you like and realize that you're paying for not just a toy, but the building experience too. Also, many sets will hold their value or increase in value after they are out of production.

The prices in the UK are set to go up by 5% in January as well, apparently.

Slightly concerned about Assembly Square which was announced at £170 before being uploaded to the store a few weeks later at £180, and has since been removed again so heaven knows what the price will be come the first of January.

NEO0MJ

Forever. Start with a little set, maybe a 3 in 1 car or something, and then watch as it spirals out of control.

I actually went throught that with Bionicles, never again!

In real dollars, the price of Lego has been flat or even decreased over time (except for collectible minifigures). Buy what you like and realize that you're paying for not just a toy, but the building experience too. Also, many sets will hold their value or increase in value after they are out of production.

I'm sure they were cheaper before. Maybe it's a local thing? I wouldn't be surprised if the distributor decided to raise prices like they did with Transformers. Like, when it comes to Transformers Leader class figures used to cost $55 or so before and I could accept it but by the time Transformers Prime came they were $120.

Osahi

The prices in the UK are set to go up by 5% in January as well, apparently.

Slightly concerned about Assembly Square which was announced at £170 before being uploaded to the store a few weeks later at £180, and has since been removed again so heaven knows what the price will be come the first of January.

Is this just UK, or Europe in general? S@H is having strange times recently, with sets popping up and dissapearing soon after (the whole Lego Batman Movie line is gone. Y-Wing was up and then gone, and up again for the release on the 16th). I really hope Assembly Square stays at €259 over here...

In other news. Making my top 10 made me decide to quickly build the Imperial Hoovertank over my lunch break. It confirms my feelings the Rogue One line is ace. It's the smallest and least impressive set of the bunch, with also the most boring looking vehicle. But it's a great, faithfull model, and the build is actually pretty cool. Love the firing mechanism for the spring loaded shooters, and I love how you can fit the Stormtroopers rifle on the roof as a turret.

Is this just UK, or Europe in general? S@H is having strange times recently, with sets popping up and dissapearing soon after (the whole Lego Batman Movie line is gone. Y-Wing was up and then gone, and up again for the release on the 16th). I really hope Assembly Square stays at €259 over here...

It's due to Brexit (like everything else) so I'd expect it to be a UK thing, but can't guarantee it.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
I actually went throught that with Bionicles, never again!

I'm sure they were cheaper before. Maybe it's a local thing? I wouldn't be surprised if the distributor decided to raise prices like they did with Transformers. Like, when it comes to Transformers Leader class figures used to cost $55 or so before and I could accept it but by the time Transformers Prime came they were $120.

Depends where you were looking as well, if you just look on the LEGO shop it's all mega expensive as it tends to be full price always on there.

Osahi

It's due to Brexit (like everything else) so I'd expect it to be a UK thing, but can't guarantee it.

Figured as much. Did Lego officialy anounce the 5% price hike? Must suck so hard, as the UK was allready one of the more expensive countries. At least Amazon UK does have good prices from time to time (which is completely offset with the shipping costs for a Belgian like me)

papluh

... Did Lego officialy anounce the 5% price hike? ...

There is this pic from somebody on Twitter ( could be fake as anything on web, but sounds logical).
Worse than shipping cost from amazon.co.uk is how the packages arrive. Can post the pics from this year's Dimensions orders :(
CzTYDKRWgAEevHJ.jpg

I've decided on my LOTY 2016. I don't know if the early releases like the Y-Wing count, but I'll just think about them next year instead.

Honourable mentions:

Fun in the Park
The King's Mech
Ecto 1&2
Doctor Strange's Sanctum Sanctorum
Spider-Man: Web Warriors Ultimate Bridge Battle

Minifigs of the year:
Giant-Man (so sue me)
Ragana
Aaron
S15 Astronaut
S15 Janitor

Sets of the year:
5) Brick Bank
4) Queen Dragon's Rescue
3) Yellow Submarine
2) Ghostbusters Firehouse Headquarters
1) Volkswagen Beetle

(full descriptions: http://www.beardednerd.se/best-of-lego-2016/)

Rootbeer

Banned
brexit is destroying you guys over there... damn. Sorry about those price hikes.

I'm very afraid of how prices will change under the Trump admin... as he wants to tax the hell out of imports because he believes a lot of foreign countries have an unfair price advantage... I'm afraid we might be suffering quite a bit if a lot of his ideas become reality...

As more and more LEGO is made in China I worry how they will be impacted.

Thinking about building the TIE Striker tonight. Built the AT-ST on Sunday and gotta say LEGOGAF was right that build was awesome, especially the cockpit area. Wish it could fit two pilots inside without modification but it's a great set nonetheless.

I've decided on my LOTY 2016. I don't know if the early releases like the Y-Wing count, but I'll just think about them next year instead.

Honourable mentions:

Fun in the Park
The King's Mech
Ecto 1&2
Doctor Strange's Sanctum Sanctorum
Spider-Man: Web Warriors Ultimate Bridge Battle

Minifigs of the year:
Giant-Man (so sue me)
Ragana
Aaron
S15 Astronaut
S15 Janitor

Sets of the year:
5) Brick Bank
4) Queen Dragon's Rescue
3) Yellow Submarine
2) Ghostbusters Firehouse Headquarters
1) Volkswagen Beetle

(full descriptions: http://www.beardednerd.se/best-of-lego-2016/)

All the love for building techniques is going to Resistance Troop Transport (definitely deserves props). The Queen Dragon gets overlooked understandably as most here are not the target demographic. The dragon has a lot of cool build techniques.

LEGO Holiday decorations time! The train is a lovely addition to the setup :)

(Video)

Nice. All those white rooftops together makes a nice Xmas scene.

iuuk

Got my parents' christmas money, spent my parents' christmas money;

(Reading about the raising price of LEGO sets in the UK I thought it would be better to purchase these when the prices were still 'low')

The most expensive set I've bought so far (not the most I spent on a set, since the Porsche has it beat by €2), I really hope it's worth it.
Also thinking about selling my haunted house to pay for the Caterham and VW Beetle. Why are there so many good sets.

Anyone gotten their hands on the Battle on Naboo set? Thinking of that or Death Star Final Duel as a surprise birthday present in January for the little sister.

TripOpt55

Hey guys. I have been out of the LEGO game for a bit and think I will go ahead and get a set for Christmas. I was looking for suggestions on sets maybe in the ballpark of $30-50. My favorites have always been the Castle sets, so I was perusing the Nexo Knight line, but I'd be open to other theme suggestions. I also dug Pirate and Space stuff. I guess the City/Modern day stuff was never my thing, but I'm mostly looking for what cool sets are out these days so I'm open to whatever. Any thoughts?

Hey guys. I have been out of the LEGO game for a bit and think I will go ahead and get a set for Christmas. I was looking for suggestions on sets maybe in the ballpark of $30-50. My favorites have always been the Castle sets, so I was perusing the Nexo Knight line, but I'd be open to other theme suggestions. I also dug Pirate and Space stuff. I guess the City/Modern day stuff was never my thing, but I'm mostly looking for what cool sets are out these days so I'm open to whatever. Any thoughts?
If Nexo, hunt down Kings Mech. If not, Creator is always fantastic bang for buck.

The current range of "Castle" set is kinda futuristic castle. Not sure if that's your type. But you've got mechs, bikes, planes, etc. As PhoncipleBone mentioned above, The King's Mech (70327) is great. See if you can get it together with Infernox (70325). You get a nice Mech vs Monster set and it completes both the King and Queen.

There's no Space / Pirate set in 2016. The last Space set was Galaxy Squad. A lot of cool stuff in there like the Eradicator Mech (70707) and the Hive Crawler (70708). There were some pirate stuff in 2015, but the selection isn't that large. I don't know much about those sets though.

These days, there are a lot of Star Wars and Superheroes stuff. You're in luck if you enjoy those.

TripOpt55

If Nexo, hunt down Kings Mech. If not, Creator is always fantastic bang for buck.

The current range of "Castle" set is kinda futuristic castle. Not sure if that's your type. But you've got mechs, bikes, planes, etc. As PhoncipleBone mentioned above, The King's Mech (70327) is great. See if you can get it together with Infernox (70325). You get a nice Mech vs Monster set and it completes both the King and Queen.

There's no Space / Pirate set in 2016. The last Space set was Galaxy Squad. A lot of cool stuff in there like the Eradicator Mech (70707) and the Hive Crawler (70708). There were some pirate stuff in 2015, but the selection isn't that large. I don't know much about those sets though.

These days, there are a lot of Star Wars and Superheroes stuff. You're in luck if you enjoy those.

Thanks guys. I appreciate the advice. Galaxy Squad was sweet. I have a couple of those. I think the last sets I bought were Vermin Vaporizer and the big Castle in the kind of simple throwback Castle theme a couple years back. I will have a gander at at Creator too. I had a Dragon/Scorpion/Snake that was pretty neat in that vein. Jestro's Evil Mobile looks pretty cool too, looking at more of the sets.

Thanks guys. I appreciate the advice. Galaxy Squad was sweet. I have a couple of those. I think the last sets I bought were Vermin Vaporizer and the big Castle in the kind of simple throwback Castle theme a couple years back. I will have a gander at at Creator too. I had a Dragon/Scorpion/Snake that was pretty neat in that vein. Jestro's Evil Mobile looks pretty cool too, looking at more of the sets.

The Fortrex is decent. Nothing amazing, but not terrible either. The real stars of the first run of Nexo Knights sets are King's Mech and Jestro's Evil Mobile. I haven't gotten any from wave 2 yet, but don't feel compelled either. But the two I listed are very highly recommended.

For Creator, if you can find Blue Power Jet, grab it. Fantastic from start to finish.

Osahi

Anyone gotten their hands on the Battle on Naboo set? Thinking of that or Death Star Final Duel as a surprise birthday present in January for the little sister.
You mean the new duel set with Maul?

Can't speak for that one, but DS Final Battle is a bigger set and is pretty incredible.

papluh

Depends if you want to leave it stock or MOD it.
If you are in for some creative work I find the Angry Birds 75826 King Pig's Castle closer match to the old style of castles than Nexo Knights one.
With the "success" of that line and the current phasing out, you can get it quite often on sale, for example 30% less on Amazon.com now. Sell off the minifigs to some kids, few bucks a piece and you are under 50$ for lot of gray castle ready bricks.

actually are they minifigs ... or minipigs ? :D And a minibird and a maxibird :D

They'll probably order more KOs and Customs to fill that out, either that or temporarily have Batgirl, Bruce Wayne, Robin etc in there.

Wait wait wait you gotta have Bruce be part of the Batman frame! I was imagining him being dead center with all the Batman variants surrounding him.

Rootbeer

Banned
Speaking of digital designer, I recently got into Bricklink's Stud.Io BETA but haven't had a chance to try it out yet, anyone got experiences/opinions?

Quoting an old post but hey, why not!

Yeah I was looking around on bricklink and they have a huge ad for it on their front page. The interface looks really cool. I wonder how it compares in terms of features and brick selection though

I think it's awesome that bricklink is now developing their OWN software for this sort of thing, and since they are such a long-lived and reputable site that can probably draw in the right audience, this may become the new standard for digital building. LEGO isn't giving LDD the care it needs so someone needs to step in and fill that role in a big way.

It's free so, hey, why not

Koren

I wonder if they're looking for help developing this... I'll check. I've been eager to take part into a collaborative project like this, it could definitively be interesting.

Edit: since we discussed IPs and patents earlier, I wonder whether such software is white or grey...

Osahi

DHL arrived with the four microfighters I ordered. Box all banged up, and three of the boxes dented. Luckily I care less about small boxes like these. If this was a modular or UCS I would be livid.

People here be sleepin' on clay's rumble blade. So good. Stealth best nexo knight set. Detachable sword jet.

pTRU1-22183224dt.jpg

The Rumble Blade is awesome. A lot of fun to build, and it's cool to see how it can break down into separate vehicles that overall aren't awful as a result. After the King's Mech it's the best Nexo set I have. Didn't get any of the summer sets though.

Mine is still in the box. I need to build it. *hangs head in shame*

Same here. Only got it because it was super cheap, about 16 euro.

I grew up with Castle (Black Monarch) and can give you some tips I think.

The best Castle themed right now is the Jestro Evil Lair in my opinion. A bit pricier than 50 bucks, but it is a center piece. We are building the Fortrex right now and it looks great so far, with a lot of play features.

There is also the 2 in 1 Lego Movie castle set if you can still find it.

Also take a look at the Ninjago lighthouse. A great display and play piece. Ninjago also has some great looking dragons which go nicely with castle displays, like Jay's Elemental Dragon, Master Wu's Dragon and Lloyds NRG dragon. The best dragon in my opinion is Cole's Dragon, which is only 10 euro. It is small, but has a lot of articulation and looks amazing.

There's a TON of castles available right now.

Cinderella's castle
Ariel's (underwater) castle
Frozen castles (three of them)
Disney Castle
Minecraft castle
Angry Birds castle
Skyra's castle
Ragana's castle
Jestro's lava castle
Nexo Knights' Fortrex

Seriously.

Taisaijin

There's a TON of castles available right now.

Cinderella's castle
Ariel's (underwater) castle
Frozen castles (three of them)
Disney Castle
Minecraft castle
Angry Birds castle
Skyra's castle
Ragana's castle
Jestro's lava castle
Nexo Knights' Fortrex

Seriously.

This comprehensive cross-theme stronghold compendium is oddly satisfying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom