• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT5| DARKNESS! NO MONEY! (or Break the Rules! Mix the Bags!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
My setup, the Empire has taken over my desk for sure. Boba needs room now as well.

8E46gXb.jpg

I find your lack of X-Wing disturbing. :)

Where will the Slave I go once it's built?

The UCS ships are glorious. I'm a bit sad I didn't cave in and collect them. Aren't we due for a UCS AT-AT or something?

EDIT:

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?/forums/topic/81052-review-usc-at-at-10246/

wetwired

Wetwired, I knew you may feel it was target to you, but truly it wasn't. You have done great stuff, even with the support of the original actors. Grey area, but still zillions light years from some shameless companies like Lepin.

No but it is a fine line between LEPIN and customizers, obviously they're far more blatant with it, using almost identical logos for Star Wars, but instead use STAR WNRS, Their Ghostbusters is "Ghosbuster" singular but they still use the no ghost logo and obviously directly rip off LEGO designs.

I'm play devils advocate here, but I use the space logo (which I don't think is trademarked) on my custom space men, I just offer them in colours previously unavailable. I've been asked to do the old colours but avoid it as I don't want people confusing or trying to pass off mine for the original. I guess the difference is scale of manufacturing and directly ripping off another product?

No but it is a fine line between LEPIN and customizers, obviously they're far more blatant with it, using almost identical logos for Star Wars, but instead use STAR WNRS, Their Ghostbusters is "Ghosbuster" singular but they still use the no ghost logo and obviously directly rip off LEGO designs.

I'm play devils advocate here, but I use the space logo (which I don't think is trademarked) on my custom space men, I just offer them in colours previously unavailable. I've been asked to do the old colours but avoid it as I don't want people confusing or trying to pass off mine for the original. I guess the difference is scale of manufacturing and directly ripping off another product?

Well, I think I am overthinking and already talking too much about it, so this will be ny final post about this topic.

I don't have a problem with customizers, specially I don't see a problem on what you do. Quite opposite, I really like your work.

Obviously, I extreme dislike Lepin and other rip-off companies.

Thinking about why, you may be right that the scale of the operation may be a factor on the difference of reaction, but I believe the real difference is that you and most customizers love what you do. Love Lego and the hobby, and we feel this connection. Lepin is shameless doing it for money in the most greedy way possible. Well, I guess it is similar of what some people think when they hear Disney (sone people just see a money making company).

You are right that you work under the law. I am still right that customizers build their work over other people work (IPs). In most cases, those IPs owners let the customizers to that, or even endorce them. However, it does not have anything to do with love. Sure, some product promotion and community build up takes place, but it is all money in the end. Noe scale is a factor. They don't botter cause customizers are small, as soon as they start to make more money the ip owners will be all over them.

The difference in scale between LEPIN and customizers is definitely the biggest factor in their willingness to prosecute. Customizers are viewed as enthusiasts subsidizing their hobby within "the spirit of LEGO" is fine. However, there are other legal grounds to go after people not necessarily breaching IP such as passing off or contractual misrepresentation.

Another grey area is people bricklinking retired sets and profiting from the original design which they has no input in their design. Since TLG make their instruction lists so accessible it's obvious this is not important to them. However, it is also the reason why LEPIN has been able to make such high quality knock-offs.

Koren

Another grey area is people bricklinking retired sets and profiting from the original design which they has no input in their design. Since TLG make their instruction lists so accessible it's obvious this is not important to them. However, it is also the reason why LEPIN has been able to make such high quality knock-offs.
Well, in price of Lego sets, they obviously include the price for creating sets. If you buy new bricks, you pay for the bricks AND for a design (even if it's not the same one). If the price per brick was higher on e.g. creator expert sets, I may see the argument, but since it's often lower... I wouldn't be surprised that Lego received more money from a Bricklinked set than from the sets they're selling themselves...

Edit: now that I think about it, I wonder how you could handle the case were a company (be it Lepin or Megablocks) that would sell a set that contains exactly the parts needed for a Lego set, but without the building instructions (or instructions for an alternate build). In some case, the minifigs may be an issue, but I don't see how you could protect an inventory in practice... (and if you could, after how many substitutions is it different?)

Edit: now that I think about it, I wonder how you could handle the case were a company (be it Lepin or Megablocks) that would sell a set that contains exactly the parts needed for a Lego set, but without the building instructions (or instructions for an alternate build). In some case, the minifigs may be an issue, but I don't see how you could protect an inventory in practice... (and if you could, after how many substitutions is it different?)
It has been reported on Eurobricks that LEPIN orders to the EU are just parts without instructions. The instructions are sent digitally because customs in EU countries will seize the shipment if uncovered to be a knock-off.

Markus

Speaking of stealing, here's another post I borrowed from Brickpicker; Amazon.com has the new Batman sets at a slight discount:

Mr. Freeze Ice Attack (70901) – $16.82 – 17% off
The Batmobile (70905) – $49.99 – 17% off
The Joker Notorious Lowrider (70906) – $44.73 – 11% off
Batcave Break-In (70909) – $88.00 – 12% off

TalesFromHoth

Neo Member
I find your lack of X-Wing disturbing. :)

Where will the Slave I go once it's built?

The UCS ships are glorious. I'm a bit sad I didn't cave in and collect them. Aren't we due for a UCS AT-AT or something?

EDIT:

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?/forums/topic/81052-review-usc-at-at-10246/

I have a bookshelf with more sets/Mini figs, but I would say the Falcon will migrate over there next to the Shuttle Tydirium. I'm working on getting an X-Wing soon :). I still have a UCS Sandcrawler and Krennic's shuttle to build and display.

A UCS AT-AT would be incredible, probably my favorite SW vehicle next to the Super Star Destroyer

Fowler

Just saw Rogue One this morning and I have to say: Lego did it again... Some of the ships / vehicles get so little screentime. Slight spoilers for Rogue One ahead (if you do not mind knowing which ships have a significant role, read ahead).

U-Wing and the Shuttle get a lot of screen time. They seem accurate enough, which couldn't be said for Kylo's shuttle last year. Another main ship (which looks very basic) is nowhere to be found, but will probably be like the Resistance Transport and come in a second or third wave.

The Tie Strikers looks better in Lego form than in the movie and gets very little screentime (less than the regular Tie Fighter). I bought this and the U-Wing already. In hindsight I could have skipped the Striker, but on the other hand it will likely not get a remake. Also comes with really generic figures, which is understandable.

The hovertank is in a scene, but looks more like a transport than a tank.

The AT-ST is the clear loser of this wave for me. Was so high on my list to buy, but dropped a lot. It is in the movie, but do not blink twice, because you could miss it.

The AT-AT is featured way more in this movie. Maybe a remake coming in wave 2 or 3? Would serve Rogue and the UCS Hoth base.

They're actually not AT-ATs... well, there might be some. But a lot of them are actually the AT-ACT instead, a bigger version intended as a cargo carrier. We'll probably get that instead of the AT-AT...

Koren

It has been reported on Eurobricks that LEPIN orders to the EU are just parts without instructions. The instructions are sent digitally because customs in EU countries will seize the shipment if uncovered to be a knock-off.
Interesting... The box is neutral, too? (or else I don't see how it gets a pass)

In this case, they still sell a copy in China... it's quite easy to check it's deliberate shady business.

But I really wonder whether lego can prevent a company selling a pack of bricks and pieces that match the inventory of a box, if they never ever refer to the original set. I don't see how it could be done...

Interesting... The box is neutral, too? (or else I don't see how it gets a pass)

In this case, they still sell a copy in China... it's quite easy to check it's deliberate shady business.

But I really wonder whether lego can prevent a company selling a pack of bricks and pieces that match the inventory of a box, if they never ever refer to the original set. I don't see how it could be done...

Interesting question. But think about it: What Lego is trying is to avoid that Lepin advertize a box of bricks as one of the Lego sets, i.e. its name, images and such. I mean, even on Chinese websites and stores (that is why Lego is prossecuting Lepin in China). Would people still buuing "Lepin Brick Set 15643" or something? Marketing is a big part of it. Without a link to Lego the kits would not sell. Even if the word on the streets say that "Lepin Brick Set 15643" actually makes a Cafe Corner". With time, even the mouth to mouth advertize would stop.

From what I understand, LEPIN sets are not shipped in any box. If you want an "official" LEPIN box you have to pay extra and the option is available only to some countries where there is no threat to be seized by customs.

The problem is that pieces that are part of the LEGO system are themselves are subject to legally protection -- it's the same reason why Megablocks can't make a Halo set using LEGO parts or parts identical to Lego parts. So unless LEPIN is shipping genuine LEGO pieces (which they are not) yes they can be stopped.

Regarding the court case, since the Chinese legal system is heavily politicized, the fact LEGO recently opened a factory in China is another reason why I believe LEGO will win.

If LEGO does lose the case, I think they will strongly lobby governments of big markets such as the US, Canada, Western and Australia to enforce similar customs measures to the EU. They should apply pressure to the particular site that has become a shopfront for the majority of their sales, because without this site which offers buyer protection I don't think anybody would risk purchasing directly from China.

The worst case scenario would be if LEPIN to start its own website for direct sales, in which case LEGO will need to intensify its efforts with customs agencies of big markets.

after all your replies regarding the ewok village i pulled the trigger and ordered mine yesterday. gonna be a perfect build for the holidays, can't wait.

Double VIP points up in the UK store. I've got a few £5 off £30 coupons if anyone wants them too. And 11% Quidco. Potentially some okay prices then depending on what you want!

Killing me that the Batman stuff ain't out =(

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
Double VIP points up in the UK store. I've got a few £5 off £30 coupons if anyone wants them too. And 11% Quidco. Potentially some okay prices then depending on what you want!

Prolly gonna bite on some of those 2017 Star Wars sets!

Was going to wait until the Batman launch but TLG sure are trying to squeeze every penny out of me.

Ah. I need a Star Destroyer but I'm not paying after market prices. Just gonna have to wait for a rerelease. Hopefully all those pretty Star Destroyers in Rogue One helps the cause.

Updated setup with the U-Wing which was pretty cool in the movie.

TheFuzz

Ah. I need a Star Destroyer but I'm not paying after market prices. Just gonna have to wait for a rerelease. Hopefully all those pretty Star Destroyers in Rogue One helps the cause.

Updated setup with the U-Wing which was pretty cool in the movie.

Love it. After seeing the movie, I think I need a U-Wing asap.

I'd get something, but the exclusives aren't out yet. And I know that any standard Star Wars retail sets will be part of a 25% off sale. Getting the equivalent of 10% off isn't that hot.

Although I will want the Phantom ASAP...

Had some free time this morning and decided to put together the Santa's Visit set, and it's reminding me of how I wish more superhero sets were small-scale dioramas, instead of VEHICLES VEHICLES VEHICLES!

MW1nYlx.jpg

That Disco Batman minifig is a must-have.

ghostmind

Had some free time this morning and decided to put together the Santa's Visit set, and it's reminding me of how I wish more superhero sets were small-scale dioramas, instead of VEHICLES VEHICLES VEHICLES!

MW1nYlx.jpg

I really hope we get seasonal vignettes again for 2017.

MW1nYlx.jpg

I have that on my desk at work, alongside the gingerbread house. Really nice little diorama.

Markus

Thanks for posting this! The Combat Frigate is a great price but it looks like such an awful set.I can't justify $100+ just for the Ahsoka & Tano.

They've finally discounted that Speed Champions Ferrari truck as well. I've wanted that set for a long time and at $100 it's pretty tempting.

No problem. The SC Ferrari Truck wasn't there last night when I posted this, and is not there now. But the Doctor Who Ideas set is now showing. So it looks like the list of sets on sale is a bit dynamic. Gonna have to call in to see if I can get the Doctor Who sets I picked up during the last sale price matched to the new price.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
It will be around for awhile IMO. I always push to buy stuff, but happy future wife = happy life. Don't start off with being cash strapped. Also, it's been on sale a lot for 20% off before holiday season. There will be other opportunities. Just make sure to keep an eye on it after summer so you don't miss out on it.

Congrats on getting your wedding rings! Don't go into debt for LEGO. The AT-ST is (IMO) the best walker in a while, but it'll be around for a while. As others have said the head turning motion is very well done.
thank you :D! today I went to see Rogue One with my fiancée and after it we went into a shopping mall, were we saw all kinds of star wars lego. my fiancée likes lego herself and I told her how I like the AT-ST that was on sale for 42€ instead of 49,99€ and she said "go ahead and buy it" so yay. lol

did not went into debt for it

Koren

Since that we're talking Lego clones... I remember buying a couple non-Lego (but fully Lego-compatible) sets in Spain in the late 80s/early 90s.

I keep saying I'll dig in my parents' house to find them (not digging a lot, I think I know exactly where they are) just to see whether they're as good a clone as I remember, and which was the brand. Internet is not helping much, maybe it was Tyco's super blocks, but I can't even find proper images of bricks (there was a small cavity in studs)

They were doing some themes that Lego wouldn't do (I had a great aircraft carrier, only bad thing was that stickers weren't sticky at ALL), or only did a lot later (there was an artic theme, I remember having a truck running on caterpillar tracks). I also remember a yellow mech, if my memory serves me well.

The problem is that pieces that are part of the LEGO system are themselves are subject to legally protection
I wonder... I would be curious how many parts are actually protected by patents. The original patents expired. The one for minifigures too.

Since they expired, Lego tried to replace patents by trademarks. They succeeded for minifigures, but failed for bricks.

I don't think you can patent just a simple shape, so just having a new design doesn't mean you can protect it with a patent. No doubt they have patents for power functions, down to elements that have specific ways to secure themselves, but I don't think there's that many of those in a set.

it's the same reason why Megablocks can't make a Halo set using LEGO parts or parts identical to Lego parts.
I'm not expert in Megablocks, but doesn't a lot of their parts are already near-replicas of Lego's? In any case, the fact that they don't doesn't mean that they can't, though. Having different parts can avoid some legal battles (some Lego has won, some Lego has lost),

after all your replies regarding the ewok village i pulled the trigger and ordered mine yesterday.
All this talk about this set is making me think about it, too. I find a bit too rough, even if it's nice, so I haven't pulled the trigger yet. But seeing the set close to retirement... it's hard.

Rootbeer

Banned
Tried to score a box of Batman minifigures at Target they didn't have them yet though! Too bad. It would be the easiest thing in the world for me to sell two sets to people I know online. Finding a full box would be a dream scenario.

papluh

No Ewok Village, no Sandcrawler, no Chicago Skyline, and one Death Star with a really F'd up box. Poor showing Lego Store. Left empty handed for myself.

DJ_Lae

Figured I'd mention it here although I can't recall how many other Canadians post in this thread (we're used to pretty much no Lego deals, too).

Costco has the bucket wheel excavator on sale online, down $40 from their already low price - so it's $200CDN.

I already caved the other week and bought us a family gift of the Disney castle, but I couldn't resist. So now I have two 10+ pound sets coming.

Maengun1

Anyone else notice all the Batman Movie sets discounted at your Wal-Mart? Mine has Batcave for $88, Batmobile for $54, Joker car for $44, and Mr. Freeze mech for $16. Not listed as a sale or a rollback or a clearance, that's just what they are.

Don't think I've ever seen that before, but grabbed the lowrider of course :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom