• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT5| DARKNESS! NO MONEY! (or Break the Rules! Mix the Bags!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

zou

Just finished the Brick Bank, what a great and fun build. And the end result looks awesome as well.

But man, the special/custom pieces are easily the worst of any set I've ever owned. They look cheap, feel flimsy and the result looks ugly (the mosaic for example). I hope this isn't a new direction for modular builds.

TheFuzz

Just finished the Brick Bank, what a great and fun build. And the end result looks awesome as well.

But man, the special/custom pieces are easily the worst of any set I've ever owned. They look cheap, feel flimsy and the result looks ugly (the mosaic for example). I hope this isn't a new direction for modular builds.

I didn't notice any issues with the pieces in my BB.

TripOpt55

Thanks for all the suggestions guys! I'm going to look up more of these sets you mentioned and see what I like. Really digging the look of the Rumble Blade. I will let you guys know what I settle on.

DonShula

There's a TON of castles available right now.

Cinderella's castle
Ariel's (underwater) castle
Frozen castles (three of them)
Disney Castle
Minecraft castle
Angry Birds castle
Skyra's castle
Ragana's castle
Jestro's lava castle
Nexo Knights' Fortrex

Seriously.

All this castle talk has me nostalgic for the castle I had when I was a kid. I'm sure it didn't actually have a name - just a big old baseplate with a ramp and a ghost. Probably had a gate too. I would go hunting for it, but then I'd end up buying it, and I'm sure it costs a small fortune now (relatively speaking).

Edit: http://lego.wikia.com/wiki/6081_King's_Mountain_Fortress?file=6081_King's_Mountain_Fortress.jpg

It was a fortress to them, but a castle to me.

Nudull

Banned
Hm, Target's offering LEGO Dimensions starter packs for $20-30 + free shipping/in-store pickup. Very tempting, worth a shot? Been meaning to start a collection.

Rootbeer

Banned
Stopped at TRU today, found the 2017 Mighty Micros and Nexo Knights stuff. Also found Batman Movie Arkham. I want Arkham but it will be a later purchase. Would love to find some of the new non-Micro Superheroes though

DonShula

Hm, Target's offering LEGO Dimensions starter packs for $20-30 + free shipping/in-store pickup. Very tempting, worth a shot? Been meaning to start a collection.

Yes, worth it. Fun game. Don't pay more than 50% of retail on those sets - they go on sale regularly at nice discounts. We have an OT over in the gaming forum as well.

R-User!

I'm surprised there aren't any rumors for what new exclusive set might be coming in Feb.

There should be one right?

We know about the Square, but no Feb rumors...

All this castle talk has me nostalgic for the castle I had when I was a kid. I'm sure it didn't actually have a name - just a big old baseplate with a ramp and a ghost. Probably had a gate too. I would go hunting for it, but then I'd end up buying it, and I'm sure it costs a small fortune now (relatively speaking).

Edit: http://lego.wikia.com/wiki/6081_King's_Mountain_Fortress?file=6081_King's_Mountain_Fortress.jpg

It was a fortress to them, but a castle to me.

Classic castle goes for surprisingly low amounts a lot of the time, considering the age. This one used is about 100 euro, not bad:
http://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?S=6081-1&name=King%27s%20Mountain%20Fortress&category=%5BCastle%5D%5BCrusaders%5D#T=S&O={}

Usually castles are between 100 and 250 euro in good condition, sometimes even sealed.

There's a TON of castles available right now.

Cinderella's castle
Ariel's (underwater) castle
Frozen castles (three of them)
Disney Castle
Minecraft castle
Angry Birds castle
Skyra's castle
Ragana's castle
Jestro's lava castle
Nexo Knights' Fortrex

Seriously.

For a company that doesn't have a castle line, they sure produce a lot of castles. My guess it is to taunt us.

31789583015_e29f70febe_b.jpg

They are going back to vignettes

YES!

Ponn

Banned
31789583015_e29f70febe_b.jpg

They are going back to vignettes

YES!

She is going to beat the shit out of him with that giant ass lollipop.

Sonic Dimensions on sale for $14 on Amazon US. Backordered though if need it soon.

BUY BUY BUY!! The fig is worth it on its own for Lego collectors and the mini builds are actually pretty cool looking and had some surprises in their construction. As a level pack its just sublime, best Sonic game I have played since Sonic Dreamcast. Just completely amazing game design and thought went into this with alot of easter eggs. Make sure you stop moving with sonic for a little while to get his idle animations.

RyanW

Being a college student, this is the first Christmas where I'm starting to buy presents for my immediate family(in the past I relied on parents to help out with that).

Got my little brother the U-Wing set. Can't wait to see his reaction and being able to help him build it.

New Elementary looks at the new parts in Assembly Square. This will be the year of the tile. I can't wait to get a bunch of those and figure out something cool.

Yes, the new tiles are long overdue and have tremendous potential. I forget the set, but they use the new 1/2 circle tiles to make very nice lily pads.
Now if they can work in rounded cheese slopes.

Speaking of New Elementary, I meant to bring up the direction LEGO has been going with their new elements. This New Elementary article touched on a bit of what I was thinking.

A lot of builds and new elements utilize the 3.18 mm bar, clips, and hollow studs. This provides a lot of possibilities especially when building in the smaller scale. Before the 1x1 round plate with hollow stud (all the way through) was a rarity used almost exclusively for LEGO games (not video games) theme. Now, it is everywhere in sets. LEGO had a rule that studs should not be hollow as the stud appearance with the LEGO logo was part of the branding. It seems it's become a bit more relaxed. Perhaps with parts that are almost always covered as I believe all the new plates with small ball joints have hollow studs and from what I've seen are always covered in a build.

"Classic LEGO" was mostly a stud based connection system. Today, it seems LEGO has embraced the 3.18 mm connection and small ball joints which expands the building system dramatically. I'm not opposed to it, just an observation. I mean in the past we've seen the inclusion of Technic and Contraction into the LEGO System sets.

Anyway, just wondering if any others had thoughts on the proliferation of the 3.18 mm elements, clips, hollow studs, and small ball joints. Or is it just my imagination?

EDIT: I do realize the 3.18 mm clip isn't new, but these new and relatively new elements (two on left below) as discussed in the New Elementary article have no stud connectors and rely completely on the 3.18 mm connection types.

6015891.png

R-User!

I forgot to mention that there looks to be a new element on the four hubs near the feet of the Knighton Rider on that free Nexo Promo Poly. They are navy blue I believe, and they look like a 1x2 slope brick gutted to be a brick/tile combo!

I haven't seen them in any sets, but if they have been used before, then I've never seen them.

Have you guys seen them before?

I forgot to mention that there looks to be a new element on the four hubs near the feet of the Knighton Rider on that free Nexo Promo Poly. They are navy blue I believe, and they look like a 1x2 slope brick gutted to be a brick/tile combo!

I haven't seen them in any sets, but if they have been used before, then I've never seen them.

Have you guys seen them before?

Looks new to me too. I agree with your description. It does look like it's 1x2 slope brick with 2 1x1 plates cut out of it and the top stud removed.

P.S. January LEGO store promos suck.

Really? With things like 3062 (1x1 brick round) having an open stud since I was born, I wouldn't have thought there was such a rule...

That is a good point. I tried to search for that info and ended up full circle. It may have been in this New Elementary article and maybe somewhere else I read about the branding "rule". Guess what the article was about, the 1x1 round plate with hole.

I was told last year that some LEGO Designers wanted to use it in regular sets too. And this is where it gets interesting, because apparently the answer was “No”. I’ve only heard the reasons given second-hand obviously – I don’t work for TLG! – so please consider this hearsay. The main reason given seemed to be “LEGO aren’t allowed to release System parts that don’t have the LEGO logo on them”.

Whatever the reason, it's obvious that LEGO has relaxed that stance.

Nitemare1

I've never been so unable to decide on a set in a long time.
Should I get Brick Bank or Detective Office.
Help me Lego Gaf. You're my only hope.

Obviously i should just get which ever is going out of print first .

Osahi

I've never been so unable to decide on a set in a long time.
Should I get Brick Bank or Detective Office.
Help me Lego Gaf. You're my only hope.

Obviously i should just get which ever is going out of print first .

Detective's Office is a year older, so should go out of print earlier (though you never know). I think both will be available for quite some time still.

Also, both are great obviously, but Detective's Officie offers more fun imo. It's my second favourite modular (inches behind GOAT Parisian Restaurant), with a great look, a fun build (with a lot of cool interior microbuilds, like the pooltable, the desk, etc) and it has a cool little story going on inside. Also, the whole vintage detective style is just too cool.

Detective Office appears to tell a more interesting story, is more colorful overall and reminds me of detective movies of ye olde. Overall it is a very pleasing set aesthetically.

Brick Bank however is the more interesting set buildwise, and is one of the modulars that really does not look like any of the others, despite not being very interesting or pleasing aesthetically, at least to me. It's kind of like the Palace Cinema. Incidentally, both are corners.

If it's your first modular, go for the Detective's office I'd say. I'm in the same boat and I'd buy that. If you want a Modular to add to your existing modulars, however, get the brick bank. As nice as Detective Office is, it's not really all that much different from say Parisian Restaurant.

Koren

That is a good point. I tried to search for that info and ended up full circle. It may have been in this New Elementary article and maybe somewhere else I read about the branding "rule". Guess what the article was about, the 1x1 round plate with hole.
Interesting.

Though that doesn't explain why 3062b has been produced for 40 years without the Lego branding on it in thousands of sets... and there's several parts where it's well hidden (I'm not even sure it's on cheese slopes, I can't read the part written deep inside)

Osahi

Built the Series 4 Microfighters (minus the Y-Wing, which looks basicly the same as the one included with a recent book I allready own).

Tie Striker is my least favourite of the bunch. I am no fan of the ship either way, and I feel it doesnt really translate that well into a microfighter. The body is to bulky and the wings to short. Seen from the top it looks great though.

Krennick's Shuttle is pretty great. It really looks the part in a cute mini-scale. Love the shaping. It can also hold itself up with the wings folded out, so you can display it in flight mode without adding a stand. Could have used a cooler fig though.

U-Wing is the top of the bunch. It looks very good (except in flight mode, which doesn't translate well in this scale). It's a neat built that slowly comes together in stead of being broken into smaller segments, and has some nice use of parts (white minifig heads as engines!). And the figure is amazing. Really cool printing and helmet.

papluh

Hmm, the head of that micro Wall-E is different on photos and in the build instructions on the Amazon sample picture.
Photo - 2L liftarm thick + two 1x1 round plate
Instructions - two 1x1 round brick
:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom