• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT5| DARKNESS! NO MONEY! (or Break the Rules! Mix the Bags!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
And your thoughts on that magnificent build? Resistance Troop Transport is the goods!

On a side note, many sets are 30% off at BN stores right now. Things like the TIE Advance vs A-Wing battle set. Just FYI.
Also, BN clearance sales are going now. LEGO deals vary by store. Just go scope it out. My local store only had a few Bionicle go clearance, but other stores might have better deals.

I thought it was ok. I think this is one of those things that was exposed to me too much before I actually got it, that some of the surprise was lacking. For some reason, I love the feeling of building a chassis and building around that. This particular ship, had a fairly standard shuttle compartment and two mini ships on each side almost towing it. Yes, it was a very unconventional build, but I let my imagination make it more than what it turned out being.

Onto the ship its self, you appreciate the design when you hold it in your hands as a completed product. It does have some cool detail that I didn't appreciate as I was building for reasons above. I appreciate that I own it and I'm glad to have General Leia figure.

I thought it was ok. I think this is one of those things that was exposed to me too much before I actually got it, that some of the surprise was lacking. For some reason, I love the feeling of building a chassis and building around that. This particular ship, had a fairly standard shuttle compartment and two mini ships on each side almost towing it. Yes, it was a very unconventional build, but I let my imagination make it more than what it turned out being.

Onto the ship its self, you appreciate the design when you hold it in your hands as a completed product. It does have some cool detail that I didn't appreciate as I was building for reasons above. I appreciate that I own it and I'm glad to have General Leia figure.

Thanks for the thoughts. And sorry it didn't quite live up to the hype some of us have laid for it.

Oh well, everyone can't love everything. I wouldn't have bought that set if not for all the hype in this thread (I don't love the look of it), and it completely lived up for me.

Ponn

Banned

Yea this set is going to carry extra value and meaning now for many.

I did something terrible today and I hope you can all forgive me...

I bought a load of Mega Bloks sets...

In particular the Call of Duty sets as Toys r Us are clearing them out cheap and I'm a fan of the franchise.

I also bought the Technic Volvo Excavator so hopefully that balances it out!

Rootbeer

Banned
I did something terrible today and I hope you can all forgive me...

I bought a load of Mega Bloks sets...

In particular the Call of Duty sets as Toys r Us are clearing them out cheap and I'm a fan of the franchise.

I also bought the Technic Volvo Excavator so hopefully that balances it out!
I'm still gradually buying up the TMNT Mega Bloks sets and collectible blind bag figures... you are not alone :) Also they have way way better sales than LEGO.

I have that huge buildable Krang set coming tomorrow, it's a $35 set I got for $10

ghostmind

Don't hate me but I bought Lepin.

*runs away

XXwtSutEhKCiI.gif

Local target had a bunch of sets on clearance. every star wars set on clearance was gone, but they had the Batman/Scarecrow set for $30 vs the msrp of $60. Bought that instantly because I want Blue Beetle and the tractors.

I will probably check out Wal Mart today to see what they have.

Local target had a bunch of sets on clearance. every star wars set on clearance was gone, but they had the Batman/Scarecrow set for $30 vs the msrp of $60. Bought that instantly because I want Blue Beetle and the tractors.

I will probably check out Wal Mart today to see what they have.

My Target rarely clearances anything, but will have to go look for the Batman/Scarecrow set. I want the figures.

Randam

Don't hate me but I bought Lepin.

*runs away
Which set?

Got a bunch of sets today.

Rouque One AT-ST, Tie Striker and Battle on Takodana.

And an other package arrived a day earlier.
The Porsche 911 gt3 rs. :D

Spent almost an hour looking for one piece..

mf.luder

Which set?

Got a bunch of sets today.

Rouque One AT-ST, Tie Striker and Battle on Takodana.

And an other package arrived a day earlier.
The Porsche 911 gt3 rs. :D

Spent almost an hour looking for one piece..

I buy my toothbrush heads on AliExpress and thought to maybe look. Holy fuck! I bought the GT3. I'm a HUGE technic fan and this would be devastating to my wallet if they are great quality.

How's the Porsche?

Not started my Porsche yet but had to buy this.

3CUw2xR.jpg

Wasn't on offer but as it's been retired for a while I couldn't leave it in TRU. Will sit next to Fallingwater and the Guggenheim for triple Frank Lloyd Wright points!

I think I've been waiting too long to pick up the resistance troop transport and now I can't find it except through 3rd party sellers.

Any idea where I could pick one up online for a decent price right now?

Not started my Porsche yet but had to buy this.

3CUw2xR.jpg

Wasn't on offer but as it's been retired for a while I couldn't leave it in TRU. Will sit next to Fallingwater and the Guggenheim for triple Frank Lloyd Wright points!

I was not a fan of architecture line till now, but I got Buckingham Palace at Xmas and looking foward to build it. Falling Water and Imperial Hotel are still available at retail here, althought they are quite expensive. How are their builds?

Ponn

Banned
I think I've been waiting too long to pick up the resistance troop transport and now I can't find it except through 3rd party sellers.

Give it a couple weeks, stores need to restock from Christmas.

DonShula

Most Walmarts seem to have them for $45 now. Some have them for less (but those also seem to be OOS).

I was completely disinterested in the Resistance Troop Transport, but it's getting killed off really, really quickly. I might have to look for one.

I actually only have one Leia figure, from the 2009 Battle for Endor. I was thinking about getting the Imperial Shuttle partly for a better version of her. Not a huge fan of the ANH look, but that will be taken care of, one day, with the Death Star.

Nodnol

I'm still getting to grips with modern world of Lego, so forgive me for what might a stupid question; what's the longevity of any one set, in terms of retail availability?

Obviously popular kits last longer than unpopular ones, but do they have a set cut off date?

I'm still gradually buying up the TMNT Mega Bloks sets and collectible blind bag figures... you are not alone :) Also they have way way better sales than LEGO.

I have that huge buildable Krang set coming tomorrow, it's a $35 set I got for $10

I need to get the Krang set too. I've been holding off for a sale, but that set is hard to find in stores. Technodrome may actually be a Mega Bloks set that will appreciate in value.

For those that want 80's TMNT nostalgia, Mega Bloks did good with these:

I haven't build a Mega Bloks set in ages. If their clutch and tolerance quality has gotten better, LEGO will have to worry more about them. Mega Bloks already dominates the market share that LEGO won't do (i.e. Halo, Call of Duty, etc).

I'm weakening and actually am feeling the pull of Kubros especially after seeing they may be doing Bender ...
collection-kubros-291-brand-17667.png

Some of the Kubros builds look pretty good, some not so much. Can probably recreate a lot of them with LEGO, but there are some Mega Blok specific parts that may be hard to replicate with LEGO parts.
Hellboy and the Minions looks good.

I'm still getting to grips with modern world of Lego, so forgive me for what might a stupid question; what's the longevity of any one set, in terms of retail availability?

Obviously popular kits last longer than unpopular ones, but do they have a set cut off date?

General rule of thumb is 2 years, but some sets barely last a few months or stretch for several years. But 2 years is the baseline.

However, if it is a retail exclusive set, like a Target exclusive or whatever, snag it ASAP. Those usually don't stick around long, and usually spike in value quickly.

*Hugs his Monster Fighter's Zombies box.*

Nodnol

General rule of thumb is 2 years, but some sets barely last a few months or stretch for several years. But 2 years is the baseline.

However, if it is a retail exclusive set, like a Target exclusive or whatever, snag it ASAP. Those usually don't stick around long, and usually spike in value quickly.

*Hugs his Monster Fighter's Zombies box.*

Ah ok.

I would like to pick up the Resistance Troop Transporter, but based on that timeline it's due to end what, next year at some point? It's sold out at anywhere reasonably priced it seems, and I'm not paying double what a lot of retailers were selling it for.

I've got a budget of about £100 to add to my fledgling collection, and I'm just trying to be as smart as possible. Very tempted as I mentioned above, to just get the Millenium Falcon because it's such an iconic piece.

Ah ok.

I would like to pick up the Resistance Troop Transporter, but based on that timeline it's due to end what, next year at some point? It's sold out at anywhere reasonably priced it seems, and I'm not paying double what a lot of retailers were selling it for.

I've got a budget of about £100 to add to my fledgling collection, and I'm just trying to be as smart as possible. Very tempted as I mentioned above, to just get the Millenium Falcon because it's such an iconic piece.

The Falcon is super iconic and it gets you the main cast including Old Solo who isn't going to be in another set anytime soon. It's also going to stick around for quite some time, I'm pretty sure. The RTT is a typical "fan service" set that brings out a few rare figures and then quietly goes away. There's nowhere else to get Leia (although she might return in a Ep8 set) and Ackbar will keep doing random appearances until we get a Calamari ship (last one was 2009, he was also in a A-Wing for god knows what reason).

I think I'll pay the inflated prices for just Leia eventually. I don't really need the parts in the RTT.

TheFuzz

I highly doubt the RTT lasts a lot longer. It's not selling a ton and it takes up too much shelf space to let it sit. Most retailers were clearing them out over the holidays. I can see this one being gone by spring. Just a guess.

I highly doubt the RTT lasts a lot longer. It's not selling a ton and it takes up too much shelf space to let it sit. Most retailers were clearing them out over the holidays. I can see this one being gone by spring. Just a guess.

Seconding this. It is just not that iconic and expensive. More of a cult following set.

At least it lasted longer than the UCS B-Wing. That only had 6 months then was taken out back and shot.

Nodnol

The only reason I want the RTT is to experience the build. General Leia isn't Princess Leia, so I don't have an attachment to the mini-fig, if that makes sense. The ship in general I can take it or leave it too, but I'm intrigued as to how it's out together. That's one thing that's really surprised me in the last few days building my first few sets in years; how everything is designed and engineered. It's very clever for something seemingly so simple.

I might pick up the Falcon and keep an eye on the RTT. At £40, which is what a lot of places were selling it at, it would make a great impulse buy. Lol.

Edit: It's on sale at the moment for £99.99. The Lego shop here is selling it at £129.99, for reference.

Ah ok.

The Falcon is a great ship that can stand proud in any collection. Was one of my first ships coming back to Lego at the end of 2015. Only thing that I would 'warn' you about is that at the end it does get repetitive.

The only reason I want the RTT is to experience the build. General Leia isn't Princess Leia, so I don't have an attachment to the mini-fig, if that makes sense. The ship in general I can take it or leave it too, but I'm intrigued as to how it's out together. That's one thing that's really surprised me in the last few days building my first few sets in years; how everything is designed and engineered. It's very clever for something seemingly so simple.

I might pick up the Falcon and keep an eye on the RTT. At £40, which is what a lot of places were selling it at, it would make a great impulse buy. Lol.

If you want another great set just for the build, get the Creator Blue Power Jet. Some really cool techniques in that one, and some fantastic parts as well. Bonus: HIGH SWOOSH FACTOR.

Nodnol

If you want another great set just for the build, get the Creator Blue Power Jet. Some really cool techniques in that one, and some fantastic parts as well. Bonus: HIGH SWOOSH FACTOR.

I'm sticking to the Star Wars brand at the moment! That's what got me back into Lego it seems, and I'm a massive Star Wars fan. I'm not against other lines, but there's too many childhood/adulthood memories represented in Lego to keep me distracted for a long time.

Brickset.com is a great resource. I would be lost without it. It lists the MSRP prices and the date the set was released so you can see how long a set has been out in the wild.

1 year is generally safe for most of the sets. As mentioned earlier, exclusive store items can have a shorter life especially if popular. Most recent one I can think of is the Walmart exclusive Jurassic World 75920 Raptor Escape. It available on LEGO site for less than 2 months before sold out. Aftermarket prices for that set new is more than double the retail price.

I'm sticking to the Star Wars brand at the moment! That's what got me back into Lego it seems, and I'm a massive Star Wars fan. I'm not against other lines, but there's too many childhood/adulthood memories represented in Lego to keep me distracted for a long time.

That's a great neverending theme with movies coming out every year plus TV shows.

Nodnol

Brickset.com is a great resource. I would be lost without it. It lists the MSRP prices and the date the set was released so you can see how long a set has been out in the wild.

1 year is generally safe for most of the sets. As mentioned earlier, exclusive store items can have a shorter life especially if popular. Most recent one I can think of is the Walmart exclusive Jurassic World 75920 Raptor Escape. It available on LEGO site for less than 2 months before sold out. Aftermarket prices for that set new is more than double the retail price.

That's a great neverending theme with movies coming out every year plus TV shows.

I have already discovered Brickset.com through my own googling! Great to read reviews and insights, news, price comparisons and also did some digging for the old castle I had as a kid and found it! Great resource it seems.

Any other sites or YouTubers to check out?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom