• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT5| DARKNESS! NO MONEY! (or Break the Rules! Mix the Bags!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Judging by Death Star, I'm pretty sure a new Falcon would break $600. There would have to be more detail and they wouldn't make it smaller.

Even though the original goes for $10.000, I'm not sure I would buy a new one. It's the very definition of huge, unwieldy display piece. You can fit the Disney Castle or GB HQ in a bookcase, but the Falcon basically needs a table.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
Welcome to the thread!

IMO, the Simpsons House was a huge disappointment & I'd take every modular over it. It looks decent on display though...

Thanks! Yeah, the Simpsons House looks pretty blah and brown.

I THOUGHT I was able to snag a Wall-E but the order got canceled by Toys R Us and then their site shifted to "Out of Stock". Looks like if I want one, I'll have to be prepared to pay through the nose for it. I'll just accept that and move on. LOL.

Ryuuroden

Judging by Death Star, I'm pretty sure a new Falcon would break $600. There would have to be more detail and they wouldn't make it smaller.

Even though the original goes for $10.000, I'm not sure I would buy a new one. It's the very definition of huge, unwieldy display piece. You can fit the Disney Castle or GB HQ in a bookcase, but the Falcon basically needs a table.

I expect something like 700 dollars.

Yeah, size is a big factor for me with LEGO sets, and looking at pictures of the USC Falcon it just seems ridiculous. And when it comes to LEGO, going over $200 on any one set is hard to justify to myself. Honestly I don't think I've spent more than $150 on a set for myself, but I did get the Classic TV Batcave as a gift. Going over $300, $400, or even $500... I honestly can't see myself ever doing that both for cost reasons and because sets that expensive are going to be gigantic.

I also don't like spending a lot of money on sets that are predominately one color. A lot of Star Wars sets just have so much Grey that they don't feel like I'm getting a good deal since I doubt I'll ever use those pieces is any way other than just building the one set. It's one of the reasons I went with the First Order Tie Fighter over the UCS one; it just had more color variety (and it cost less than a third, haha).

Ponn

Banned
I expect the new falcon to be between 6000 and 7000 pieces with interior scenes. At least everyone wants the interior to happen.

I expect 50,000 pieces car sized model with new working (sometimes) hyperdrive bricks so you can actually fly it. Double VIP points on it are going to be insane.

mclem

Wait what??? Lego Black Mirror? Lego Dead Set? Lego Screenwipe? What has Charlie Brooker done that Lego could possibly create?

Clearly it's Lego Here's Toby

iycRosz.jpg

I'm genuinely fascinated, what could it be? Lego Waldo? Are there any notable Ideas sets knocking around that'd need a license Brooker has the rights to? Lego Pissing Up A Hill? Lego A Touch Of Cloth? Nathan Barley for Lego Dimensions?

Taisaijin

That will place its cost around US$900 to US$1000. Not happening. My guess would be 5.000 pieces at US$ 700.

700 puts it out of reach for any reasonable mass market price point. I'd hate for them to go the Modular route of shrinking scale to accommodate interior detail and hit a sub $600 MSRP.

I'd almost prefer they offer a separate interior "pack" that could include figs and interior detail offered as an add-on.

Yearly modular MF add-ons.. 2018 is the Exogorth!

DonShula

I wasn't around when the Ghostbusters Firehouse was released. What was the general consensus on that set? Worth it? My kids are still asking for it months later (they want it even more than the Disney Castle).

On the subject of the UCS MF - I'm no expert at valuing Lego, but that's got to be the one set they could charge $700 for. Does it get any bigger than that ship from that license? Is there anything else across the entirety of licensed Lego-dom that could hope to command such a price? Disney Parks fans are notorious for dropping insane amounts of cash, so maybe something along those lines, but I can't think of anything else.

And I've just now had visions of a line of modular Disney World creator sets that would allow you to construct the Magic Kingdom. How has this not happened already?

ghostmind

Brickset has the Ninjago Movie set names:

70606 Jay’s Electro Waver
70607 Titanium Turbo
70608 Samurai Stealth Takedown
70609 Master’s Dojo
70610 Nya’s Water Brigade
70611 Dragon’s Cove
70612 Spinjitzu Sanctuary
70613 Ninja Wake Run
70614 Kai’s Blazing Breaker
70615 Rai Mech
70616 Krypt of the Cave
70617 Backstreet Break-in
70618 Shadow Legion Ambush
70620 Ninjago City Invasion

I wasn't around when the Ghostbusters Firehouse was released. What was the general consensus on that set? Worth it? My kids are still asking for it months later (they want it even more than the Disney Castle).

If you're a decently big Ghostbusters fan, it's worth it. It's packed with cool references and the finished build looks awesome. It should work well as a play set too. You really need either of the Ecto-1:s though. The original has that classic look but (worse) repeats of the figures, while the 2016 one has a better build and a new set of characters.

DonShula

If you're a decently big Ghostbusters fan, it's worth it. It's packed with cool references and the finished build looks awesome. It should work well as a play set too. You really need either of the Ecto-1:s though. The original has that classic look but (worse) repeats of the figures, while the 2016 one has a better build and a new set of characters.

We have the original Ecto-1 so the urge for the minifigures isn't as great. Good to hear the kids could actually play with it. That price tag kills me, though.

TheFuzz

We have the original Ecto-1 so the urge for the minifigures isn't as great. Good to hear the kids could actually play with it. That price tag kills me, though.

I've had it displayed on my shelf for quite some time, it's a beautiful set. Unfortunately we are out of room and my kids don't play with it... if you are interested, I'd be happy to sell it to you for substantially less than msrp. I'd rather it go to a fellow GAFer. PM me if you're interested.

Osahi

Just ordered the Mini Cooper for 70 euro (RRP: 99)! I have 25 euro collected in store credit too after buying the PS4 Pro and some Lego there. Was planning to put it into some Lego Batman Movie sets when they arrive, but this deal was to good to pass on.

I'll wait for some discounts on Batman-sets before I bite (though I might grab the Scuttler soonish)

I've had it displayed on my shelf for quite some time, it's a beautiful set. Unfortunately we are out of room and my kids don't play with it... if you are interested, I'd be happy to sell it to you for substantially less than msrp. I'd rather it go to a fellow GAFer. PM me if you're interested.

LEGOGAF pls you can't keep tempting us with these good prices you're killing our wallets.

I hate retail exclusives, penguins arctic roller is a target exclusive apparently and target is always supremely shitty at stocking their stuff on time so if i want it i have to order it online and wait a week for it to ship.

I built the Resistance Troop Transporter last night and can attest that everyone's praise for it in this thread is spot on. Such an interesting build. Not repetitive at all and there's so much asymmetry in the piece that it constantly stays interesting. There were so many moments during the build where I went from...hmm, not quite sure what I'm building here during this step..... to.....holy shit, how did this become that? That's incredible.

Such a weird shaped ship but it was well worth the building experience.

bosseye

Hi all. First time posting in the Lego thread!

My son and I have a ton of Lego City stuff, he's just mad for cars/trains/trucks so we almost have a Jangbricks-esque level of city to be created.....He tends to build them, play for a day or so and then 'modify' them into something else. The pile of bits grows ever larger, but I've managed to retain a few intact - the Ford truck with the suspension is one of my favourites.

Has anyone ever submitted anything to the Lego ideas site? If so what did you create, and how did it go? I see the Adventure Time sets which were a submission on the site will be hitting the shops at some stage, they're pretty good.

https://ideas.lego.com/dashboard

I've put a simple project on there so I need to troll for supporters, ha. I'm not linking directly to it though, I'm already into poor form by even bringing it up in my first post in here. (sorry ;_;)

My son and I have a ton of Lego City stuff, he's just mad for cars/trains/trucks so we almost have a Jangbricks-esque level of city to be created.....He tends to build them, play for a day or so and then 'modify' them into something else. The pile of bits grows ever larger, but I've managed to retain a few intact - the Ford truck with the suspension is one of my favourites.

Has anyone ever submitted anything to the Lego ideas site? If so what did you create, and how did it go? I see the Adventure Time which were a submission on the site sets will be hitting the shops at some stage, they're pretty good.

https://ideas.lego.com/dashboard

I've put a simple project on there so I need to troll for supporters, ha. I'm not linking directly to it though, I'm already into poor form by even bringing it up in my first post in here. (sorry ;_;)
Welcome. :)

Our own Wetwired got the Ecto-1 onto shelves through LEGO ideas. :)

Welcome!

Welcome. :)

Our own Wetwired got the Ecto-1 onto shelves through LEGO ideas. :)

If I'm not mistaken Wet's actually had three sets go through formal TLG review as well - but it might just be two.

That Blade Wing is amazing! I'd love that.

Welcome!

If I'm not mistaken Wet's actually had three sets go through formal TLG review as well - but it might just be two.

That Blade Wing is amazing! I'd love that.
The ambulance with the colors they have in Sweden I also found nice. Would be cool if cop cars, ambulances and firetrucks had variants in some countries.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
What's this about a new UCS falcon!? Oh god I'm doomed. Maybe I'll finally break down the imperial shuttle.

On the positive haven't bought any of the big sets, have sold my modulars and modern SW isn't that interesting - but OT UCS sets are just too good

AMUSIX

My wife and I are currently building the Disney Castle. We've only built a half dozen sets before, but are we wrong in feeling that the castle seems really flimsy? There are so many connections that are just one pip, and so many seams that aren't reenforced, and even the main walls connect to the base with almost a single turntable peg. Tower bridge is sturdy as fuck, the helicarrier you can practically play with as a toy, the modular buildings all get carried around so easily...but this thing I'm afraid to touch.

Now, we just finished bag 9...does this thing remain this fragile, or are there parts that we'll add at the end that suddenly solidify everything?

Got $30 from a friend. Trying to decide between Peinguin's Artic Roller or Robo explorers. They're both so good. Hnnng

Depends on your preferences. I believe both will get at least 20% discounts eventually.
Robo Explorer has more play value to me. Artic roller seems like a much more fun build and a better display piece.

Speaking of Robo Explorer, Brickset has update list of sets by LEGO designers. Seems like designer for Robo Explorer was mainly a constraction set designer the past couple years. Sets designed by John Ho

List of other designers:
http://brickset.com/bricklists/featured

Checked out John Ho's Flickr feed a bit. Here's something I haven't seen done before with constractions. Dress up!
"Those aren't dolls, they're action figures!"
19957364159_9aaba3314f_n.jpg

E-Zee x Stud-D by John Ho, on Flickr

He's got a lot of mech and sci-fi MOCs.

EDIT: Here's the designer of 75140: Resistance Troop Transporter which has been getting a lot of love in the thread lately. He also did UCS Slave I and the Force Awakens Millenium Falcon.
Hans Burkhard Schlömer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom