• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT5| DARKNESS! NO MONEY! (or Break the Rules! Mix the Bags!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Speaking of Robo Explorer, Brickset has update list of sets by LEGO designers. Seems like designer for Robo Explorer was mainly a constraction set designer the past couple years. Sets designed by John Ho

List of other designers:
http://brickset.com/bricklists/featured

EDIT: Here's the designer of 75140: Resistance Troop Transporter which has been getting a lot of love in the thread lately. He also did UCS Slave I and the Force Awakens Millenium Falcon.
Hans Burkhard Schlömer

This is awesome stuff, thanks for posting it! What a leap for John Ho from "constraction" to that 3-in-1 Creator set. Amazing.

Good to see the list from Hans Burkhard Schlömer. Krennic's Shuttle was an amazing set so it's interesting to see he designed the RTT as well. I liked the small Rebels set but it feels so strange and out of place....almost as if they just felt the need to release a Rebels set regardless of context. I'm fine with the choice (especially given the show's proximity to Rogue One) but it still feels like a totally out-of-left-field set.

How does everybody feel about the Tie Striker? It's the only Rogue One set I don't have but it looks intriguing. Aside from being the only way to get a Shore Trooper, how's the build?

Osahi

How does everybody feel about the Tie Striker? It's the only Rogue One set I don't have but it looks intriguing. Aside from being the only way to get a Shore Trooper, how's the build?

It looks cool, but it's my least favourite Rogue One set to date. The build is somewhat repetitive with the wings, but the locking mechanism is pretty smart. Figures are good, but not great (no main character whatsoever). Not a big fan of the overall design of the ship in general too, but it's nice and big. If you can get it for lower than RRP, it's not a bad set

My wife and I are currently building the Disney Castle. We've only built a half dozen sets before, but are we wrong in feeling that the castle seems really flimsy? There are so many connections that are just one pip, and so many seams that aren't reenforced, and even the main walls connect to the base with almost a single turntable peg. Tower bridge is sturdy as fuck, the helicarrier you can practically play with as a toy, the modular buildings all get carried around so easily...but this thing I'm afraid to touch.

Now, we just finished bag 9...does this thing remain this fragile, or are there parts that we'll add at the end that suddenly solidify everything?

It remains fragile. It's long and small, so it'll always have that 'flimsy' feeling. But it's actually only the sidewalls that don't feel like they are actually fixed in place. It's a display piece first and foremost I guess (and boy does it look brilliant on display).

Also, I've moved it a lot allready, and it's no problem whatsoever as long as you split it up like a modular building.

Talking about flimsy: I started building Assembly Square. Just one bag in, but the two baseplates aren't connected by a lot of bricks are they. Hope when the first level is finished the whole things moves easy enough. At first I though the left building was completely seperate from the rest, so you could split the set up, but that's not the case (the smaller baseplate is at the right of the set)

Not sure if this has been posted yet. I haven't seen too many time lapse builds of MOCs this huge. Really cool greebling and I love how the engines come together.

MOC Star Wars UCS Venator Star Destroyer - 5414 pcs!!! - Lego Speed Build

Time lapsing MOCs must be a huge amount of work due to the amount of tinkering that goes on before you even come close to a settled design. And then redoing everything for a time laps that takes some dedication.
Looks great though.

Had some Amazon credit burning a hole in my pocket so I went ahead and ordered the Sandcrawler. I have been eyeing it for awhile, and figured I'd kick myself once its out of print. Should be here tomorrow!

Had an Amazon gift card from Christmas. It's cold this weekend what should I do? Oh I know I should totally order the Parisian Restaurant from Amazon so it's here Sunday and I can build all day.

Guys what is happening I don't like this.

Talking about flimsy: I started building Assembly Square. Just one bag in, but the two baseplates aren't connected by a lot of bricks are they. Hope when the first level is finished the whole things moves easy enough. At first I though the left building was completely seperate from the rest, so you could split the set up, but that's not the case (the smaller baseplate is at the right of the set)

I just finished bag one and was thinking the same thing. Hopefully it gets more structurally sound as the build continues.

TheFuzz

Had an Amazon gift card from Christmas. It's cold this weekend what should I do? Oh I know I should totally order the Parisian Restaurant from Amazon so it's here Sunday and I can build all day.

You're not alone. Atlanta is expecting at least 3 inches of snow (I know, stop laughing) and plenty of ice. Will be in full lockdown mode I'm sure.

I've got a backlog stash for these exact circumstances.

Go Parisian. It's my favorite set. No hype.

I got the Parisian Restaurant and the Pet Shop a few months ago and both of them were fantastic.

I honestly think I liked the Pet Shop a little more, but that may be because I had a soft spot for it because I built a Mini-Modular version of it in the LEGO Digital Designer before instructions were available anywhere online, just a photo of one someone had made. I finally got around to buying the pieces I need to actually build the mini-modular version of it, I just need to do one final Bricklink order for the last pieces that LEGO's website didn't have.

I liked how the Pet Shop was two separate buildings since my girlfriend and I were able to do one each. With the Parisian Restaurant we split it up by floors, so I did miss some of the cool parts like the roof. I'll probably like it more once I disassemble it and rebuild the whole thing.

The Modular buildings really make me want more sets that are fully contained, but still have great internal stuff.

namtab37

Neo Member
Anyone have any ideas or guesses to what this year's July/August retro promo set will be?
Also, will we ever get a set with the old flip up style box where you can see all the contents inside the box and some parts/figures on display?

Ponn

Banned
Is it a good sign when I dont get any mails from Legos Replacementpartsdepartment at all?

When did you fill out the form? It can take about a week to get a shipping notice but i've never had them fail me. And they don't usually contact you about the form unless something is wrong or they need info like an address, i've never had them contact me yet. Just filled out the form and a week or so later got shipping notice.

Time lapsing MOCs must be a huge amount of work due to the amount of tinkering that goes on before you even come close to a settled design. And then redoing everything for a time laps that takes some dedication.
Looks great though.
I know right? That must have taken many hours to film. I can't imagine having the patience to do a 5k+ piece set like that. They must have built and disassembled and planned out all the part placements as well, considering how systematic and "assembly line" everything was put together.

Awesome...to me the Venator is probably the best looking major SW ship ever made. It narrowly beats out the regular ISD because of it's slick shape and color scheme. I'd buy this in a heartbeat!
Not to take anything away from how much I hate those movies but ya that's a cool looking ship. The build really made me appreciate the side panel running along the top and bottom surfaces. The classic ISD will always be one of my favorites though.

Koren

Awesome...to me the Venator is probably the best looking major SW ship ever made. It narrowly beats out the regular ISD because of it's slick shape and color scheme. I'd buy this in a heartbeat!
I'd probably buy it too...

That being said, I really like this ship, but I think it's slightly less iconic than ISD/SSD and a bit more generic. You could think this ship come from any sci-fi material, but noone will mistake an ISD/SSD for anything else, especially an ISD.

The Chimaera is probably the MOC I like the most as far as SW capital ships go.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnT3HPWV_VI
(not the best video, but the first one I found)

star_destroyer_chimaera_on_mfkig_2014_by_scharnvirk-d8279vx.jpg

When I think that in the original script, Star Destroyers were two seater bombers...

kms_md

In the process of moving to a house with less office and work space, I am thinning out the herd of my unbuilt collection. I plan on selling the sets that are listed below on ebay, however, I wanted to give those on GAF an early shot. I am the original owner of all the items and they have been stored in a smoke free environment. The Star Wars UCS sets are factory sealed and unopened. The others are without the box but are otherwise complete and unopened. I have not completed my research on pricing - I plan to offer what the rough average of completed ebay sales, amazon marketplace, and Bricklink are. If you are interested please PM me. I will only accept Paypal and only ship within the US as I will be exclusively using priority mail.

Town Hall
Fire Brigade
Grand Emporium
Simpson's House
UCS Tumbler
UCS Red 5 X Wing
UCS TIE Fighter
UCS B Wing
UCS R2D2
F1 Racer (42000)

I have not yet decided if I will be selling the SWTOR sets - Sith Interceptor, Jedi Strike Fighter, or Republic Defender (which are all new and factory sealed).

PM if interested. I can send photos (it may take the weekend to get all the pictures gathered).

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Have you tried calling them?
The LEGO support is the best I have ever come across they are always supper cheery and super helpful.

When did you fill out the form? It can take about a week to get a shipping notice but i've never had them fail me. And they don't usually contact you about the form unless something is wrong or they need info like an address, i've never had them contact me yet. Just filled out the form and a week or so later got shipping notice.
No calling yet, but then I will wait.
Fill the form three days ago and already got the notification, that one piece is not avaible... But no shipping confirmation yet.

What are people's thoughts on grand emporium? There's one local to me for sale (used) which I might be tempted at.

It is still my favorite modular exterior. The interior is a bit sparse, and the build is very repetitive. However, that repetition is essential to pull off the textured look of the entire outside. It is the classiest looking of the modulars for me, even if there are several with far better builds and interiors.

willp2003

Do it even, if you re-sell it after building it once you will make bank.

Put an offer in, so will see what they say. They also have green grocer and town hall for sale, but I'm not sure I can justify spending that amount of money (despite being less than current sale prices).
Edit: thanks for the reply as well Phon.

Ponn

Banned
I'd probably buy it too...

That being said, I really like this ship, but I think it's slightly less iconic than ISD/SSD and a bit more generic. You could think this ship come from any sci-fi material, but noone will mistake an ISD/SSD for anything else, especially an ISD.

The Chimaera is probably the MOC I like the most as far as SW capital ships go.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnT3HPWV_VI
(not the best video, but the first one I found)

star_destroyer_chimaera_on_mfkig_2014_by_scharnvirk-d8279vx.jpg

When I think that in the original script, Star Destroyers were two seater bombers...

I just want to say I feel really bad for whoever had to set up their moc's next to that thing.

Put an offer in, so will see what they say. They also have green grocer and town hall for sale, but I'm not sure I can justify spending that amount of money (despite being less than current sale prices).
Edit: thanks for the reply as well Phon.

Green Grocer is worth a non-obscene amount of money. Town Hall is not worth after-market prices.

TheFuzz

We are expecting snow in the ATL......

Penguins Arctic Roller is mine! I've got that and Clayface to keep me busy. BRING THE SNOW.

Yagharek

Looks great though.

Couldn't you just build it, then time sequence the disassembly process, then reverse the sequence of the images.

ruxtpin

Banned
No calling yet, but then I will wait.
Fill the form three days ago and already got the notification, that one piece is not avaible... But no shipping confirmation yet.

I got some missing pieces in my last set as well. Put in a piece request 2 weeks ago and no response yet. Did a second request, still no response.

I wish LEGO would release more sets wih Sand Blue colored pieces. A few of he new Star Wars ones have some, but it's still hard to find the, on Bricklink.

The Mini Modular Pet Shop MOC I want to build is getting kinda expensive since I need to buy from several different places some of which will probably have expensive shipping. One of the few places that sells most of what I need is in Eastern Europe and they have a crazy $85 minimum purchase (which I'm definitely not going to do).

Are there any other websites I can check for pieces other than Bricklink? I already bought everything I could from LEGO's website.

Taisaijin

I wish LEGO would release more sets wih Sand Blue colored pieces. A few of he new Star Wars ones have some, but it's still hard to find the, on Bricklink.

The Mini Modular Pet Shop MOC I want to build is getting kinda expensive since I need to buy from several different places some of which will probably have expensive shipping. One of the few places that sells most of what I need is in Eastern Europe and they have a crazy $85 minimum purchase (which I'm definitely not going to do).

Are there any other websites I can check for pieces other than Bricklink? I already bought everything I could from LEGO's website.

You could try Brickowl although they're more Euro-centric I believe.

I know I am way late to the party on this, but the two main supporting characters in the Freemaker Adventures are named Zander & Kordi. The Buffy fan in me approves.

Question for the SW fans - what type of alien is this on the left, and has there been a fig of it?

Also, the show is terrible.

ghostmind

I know I am way late to the party on this, but the two main supporting characters in the Freemaker Adventures are named Zander & Kordi. The Buffy fan in me approves.

Question for the SW fans - what type of alien is this on the left, and has there been a fig of it?

Also, the show is terrible.

That looks like a Gotal, and no minifig release that I am aware of.

I only watched the first 2 or 3 eps... I thought the 'twist' was kinda cool regarding one of the characters though,

I only made it through 2-3 eps as well because it was so bad. By twist do you mean
that the lady pretending to be a Jedi is a Sith? Cuz I thought that was spoiled by her minifig.

The Eclipse Fighter is a great little set. I'm tempted to buy another just for the printed pieces.

Fake edit: wow it went 13 eps. No way i could sit through this whole thing unless the quality vastly improved.

Ponn

Banned
Anyone else find it out the Batman CMF's use the old style capes? I thought they would have phased these out by now so I wonder if these are leftover they are getting rid of or are they keeping both kind of capes in production.

Anyone else find it out the Batman CMF's use the old style capes? I thought they would have phased these out by now so I wonder if these are leftover they are getting rid of or are they keeping both kind of capes in production.

Old style. You can tell from photos alone. Cloth ones make it look like they are wearing a scarf or something.

No idea what LEGO's plan is with the capes, but it seems they have both in production. Do they have the cloth capes in any 2017 sets?

I like the look of the older capes more, but the cloth capes had 1 huge benefit when the minifig needs to sit down or cape needs to bent to move out of the way.

EDIT:

Image Source: http://www.futurerulerofmidgard.com/reviews/old-lego-avengers-vs-new-lego-avengers/

Randam

Don't really like the shape and the colors.
And its from the prequels, soo that disqualifies it anyways.

Not a big fan of the Super Star Destroyer either, but really like the Finalizer of Hux and Kylo Ren.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom