• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT5| DARKNESS! NO MONEY! (or Break the Rules! Mix the Bags!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Koren

I just want to say I feel really bad for whoever had to set up their moc's next to that thing.
Yes... But that's a bit cheating, IIRC, the Chimaera build was funded for a SW exhibition.

Green Grocer is worth a non-obscene amount of money.
I agree it's a great build. Although I don't regret BL it in sand blue rather than paying aftermarket price for a 100% authentic one.

I wish LEGO would release more sets wih Sand Blue colored pieces. A few of he new Star Wars ones have some, but it's still hard to find the, on Bricklink.
Indeed. I bought a spare PS just to have a bunch of sand blue (which went into the forementioned Grocer).

But I guess you won't buy a PS to build a Mini PS ;)

Don't really like the shape and the colors.
And its from the prequels, soo that disqualifies it anyways.
Being it in the prequel nullify the chances Lego would sell such an UCS set, at least. I was surprised to see Venator-class mentioned in the very last UE books (in Daala armada).

Okay, LegoGAF, you win. I went to the store to find something fun to tide me over until next week's Assembly Square. Wanted to find a B-Wing, but they've disappeared finally, and the Phantom is very expensive for what it is. Then I found a Resistance Troop Transporter at a slightly reduced price. It's probably as good as it's gonna get now, so...

I'll be watching Totoro and build this thing, and I'll get back to you. This better be all that.

I somehow want Yodas Starfighter only for the figs but I dont want to go down that Rabbidhole yet

Yoda and R2-D2 are released all the time, no hurry.

As for the Resistance Troop Transporter, it was fine. The build is certainly interesting, but it wasn't that crazy. The upside down car front, sure, it was neat, but it leaves a gap. Pretty complex for a standard non-Creator Expert build though.

It's also bigger than I thought. All those parts actually add up to something. But it's not too deep, so I can probably fit it on top of a building, and it should have room for a bunch of figures. Obviously, Old Han and the inevitable Luke are going to join Leia in this eventually, as my Falcon will be used by the young crew.

That Lego Boost sure looks interesting. My 7 year old couldn't understand the Mindstorm class at Legoland. Perhaps this Boost is much better for someone her age. The use of tablet / smartphone is great. Something relatable to the youth. I'm glad Lego is trying out different things.

Indeed. I bought a spare PS just to have a bunch of sand blue (which went into the forementioned Grocer).

But I guess you won't buy a PS to build a Mini PS ;)
I was thinking of actually stealing some pieces from the Pet Shop, but even with as big as it is, it's missing some pieces I need, like some Sand Blue plates.

I may try looking over the pieces I need again to see if I can't pair down the rare ones I need so maybe I don't need to spend as much on it.

willp2003

Just finished putting together the grand emporium.

... and the build is very repetitive.

You weren't kidding! My heart sank a little bit when I had to count approx 130 pieces on step 25, and that was early on. Didn't help that it had all been bagged up in two bags, so sorting through each bag took a lot longer. Who's the nutter on here who empities all the bags into a bucket at the beginning? I don't know how he can do that each time after building that today!

Impressive when built though, and it now gives me the kick to start building all the others I've got waiting.

Ponn

Banned
Jang reviewed that Red Hulk set. I dont think a set has ever stirred such negative emotions in me as this one. I despise this set so very very much. It literally offends me with how lazy of effort they put into it with that price.

Osahi

Second bag down of Assembly Square.

What. A. Beauty.

And such brilliant techniques and details. Use of parts in ways you'd never imagine...

Eveything is much sturdier now too.

Box of sets from SupaNecta showed up today for the Batman CMF trade. Thank you again to him and Ponn for the trade. There will be much building this weekend.

Already did the Artic Roller last night, and about to start the RoboExplorers now.

Second bag down of Assembly Square.

What. A. Beauty.

And such brilliant techniques and details. Use of parts in ways you'd never imagine...

Eveything is much sturdier now too.

Yup. That's a Jamie Berard set then. However, I don't think he will be able to top the water barrel from Detective's Office for most unexpected use of parts. That is a high mark in my book.

Was this a first in an official set? Because I'm sure I've seen this trick before DO release...

No idea at all, but it was definitely an eye opening technique. My second favorite thing is Mike Psiaki pulling off those weird angles and fake curves by putting pieces in to obstruct their movement. Ferrari and the Beetle were full of stuff like that.

Also...

Laser enema.

No idea at all, but it was definitely an eye opening technique. My second favorite thing is Mike Psiaki pulling off those weird angles and fake curves by putting pieces in to obstruct their movement. Ferrari and the Beetle were full of stuff like that.

HhuYEAE.jpg

Hhhhhhhnng.

Actually, the RTT had something similar going on with the small flaps on the back. They all point in different directions but they can really only be placed in one.

TheFuzz

I don't want to start hyping quite yet, but Clayface Splat Attack is a legit build. The COT work (clay on top) is very clever so far, and this thing isn't fragile at all.

Be warned, I'm halfway through one of my most anticipated sets and this thing isn't letting up so far.....

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Coming back to Lego after 10 years its amazing what techniques had been introduced.
You guys would have laughed how I looked when I realized how the sides of the AT-ST are attached to the build. I still remember when a AT-ST was still a bland cube on legs.

I don't want to start hyping quite yet, but Clayface Splat Attack is a legit build. The COT work (clay on top) is very clever so far, and this thing isn't fragile at all.

Be warned, I'm halfway through one of my most anticipated sets and this thing isn't letting up so far.....
The set is fantastic. I just wish it came with hands.

Side note: it has the first ever Mariah Carey mini fig.

NysGAF

I got the Ferris Wheel for Christmas and it was so fun to build! I never imagined something that looked so repetitive could be so interesting and clever. Next I'm trying to decide between Palace Cinema and Assembly Square. I want the square more, but the smart thing would be to get the older set. I'm torn.

Almost bought this today, but held off since it'll probably be in stock for a while and I'll wait for a better free giveaway month.

Even if I don't keep it assembled, it'll be great to use as a parts set to add more detail to the outside of the Classic Batcave set.

3N16MA

Banned
I got the Ferris Wheel for Christmas and it was so fun to build! I never imagined something that looked so repetitive could be so interesting and clever. Next I'm trying to decide between Palace Cinema and Assembly Square. I want the square more, but the smart thing would be to get the older set. I'm torn.

Assembly Square is going to be around for awhile while Palace Cinema should be the next modular to retire.

Hey guys, over in the B/S/T thread I'm selling a Lego Cuusoo set, the Hayabusa. I had some store credit at my local Lego store that I wanted to convert into cash, so I bought the Hayabusa to sell even though I'm a huge space enthusiast and a part of me wants to keep it.

Palace Cinema's days are numbered. Get it while the getting is good. You have a couple of years on Assembly square.

Just built Treehouse Adventures (31053) today. Its folding is really nice, but everything else is steps below the previous Treehouse (31010). Not sure if I will keep it assembled.

TheFuzz

Clayface done.

Lex' Mech? The King's Mech? As far as these types of builds go, Clayface blows them away.

The build, the parts, the expressiveness, it's all top-tier. This thing is way better than it needs to be. Incredible set, and the best TLBM I've done thus far.

The best part? 400+ pieces, 98% of which are solely dedicated to Clayface. No crappy jet ski or bat-scooter, just a complete and total character build.

Clayface done.

Lex' Mech? The King's Mech? As far as these types of builds go, Clayface blows them away.

The build, the parts, the expressiveness, it's all top-tier. This thing is way better than it needs to be. Incredible set, and the best TLBM I've done thus far.

The best part? 400+ pieces, 98% of which are solely dedicated to Clayface. No crappy jet ski or bat-scooter, just a complete and total character build.

As someone with no interest in the set, you have sold me. That'll be my next pick up. Name checking Lex and the King's mech is serious talk!

Felt up all the Batman variants today and grabbed that Riddler set.

Clayface done.

Yep. Second best of the wave I think after the Scuttler.

Ponn

Banned
I built the LBM Batmobile over the last couple days. I wasn't too hot on it and from reviews and feedback I don't think I was alone in the feelings. After building it, holding it and yes, vrooming it i've lightened up a bit on it. It has faults but its not a bad batmobile. When you look at it after the 3rd bag without the wheels you see the base design is actually pretty damn sleek looking.

Even with wheels on its still pretty cool looking. The play feature with the wheels is silly and yea its those modes that bring the batmobile down a notch but if you leave it in this mode its pretty good.

It's intimidating, the boosters and the wings on the back are pretty slick looking and the little touches like the exhaust pipes and new black ingot pieces and shield pieces are nice. The whole tire build, while silly and useless, is still an interesting build. I have a feeling a technic designer has been working on these LBM sets. I get the joke about the tires and the play feature from the trailers its just a useless feature in a set from both a play standpoint and parts usage. Still i'm not as down on this set as I initially was, its just one of the more expensive batmobile sets with not much exciting going for it, even fig wise. That Man-Bat fig is just head shaking worthy. I can't believe they just threw the exact same Man-bat fig from a 2 year old $20 set in this. Bad Lego bad.

TheFuzz

As someone with no interest in the set, you have sold me. That'll be my next pick up. Name checking Lex and the King's mech is serious talk!

Felt up all the Batman variants today and grabbed that Riddler set.

Trust me: it's better than both, and I love those two sets. The way it comes together with hinges and plates while still looking "organic" is just awesome. The expressiveness of his face is the icing on the cake. Just a fantastic character build.

I've still got quite a few sets left to build from this theme, but it might be my all-time favorite.

Trust me: it's better than both, and I love those two sets. The way it comes together with hinges and plates while still looking "organic" is just awesome. The expressiveness of his face is the icing on the cake. Just a fantastic character build.

I've still got quite a few sets left to build from this theme, but it might be my all-time favorite.

From the cover art the model still looks underwhelming (to me) so I'm looking forward to being surprised! It can't possibly be worse than the Rhino fig from that Spidey set can it?

I just put together the 6 CMF "Batmen" along with Batgirl, Harley & March Harriet I'm pretty amazed at the prints on these things. $5 (CDN) is way too much but TLG went all out.

I have a feeling this will turn into a "buy them all" theme so I want to take care of retailer exclusives quickly. Which ones need to be bought from a specific retailer or the LEGO store?

gsrjedi

Just finished putting together the Architecture Louvre set. I sort into trays by color and damn all those clear pieces. They're so hard to find pieces. The way they built the pyramid was pretty cool.

Osahi

Yup. That's a Jamie Berard set then. However, I don't think he will be able to top the water barrel from Detective's Office for most unexpected use of parts. That is a high mark in my book.

AS is bursting with little stuf like that. The bakery windows. The bridal cake. A very simple but clever flower rack for bouquets.

And wait until you see how he uses the relativly new 'stamp' piece near the end if bag two
for upside down building!
(might not be the first use of this piece for this, but it's the first I saw and it blew me away.

AS is bursting with little stuf like that. The bakery windows. The bridal cake. A very simple but clever flower rack for bouquets.

And wait until you see how he uses the relativly new 'stamp' piece near the end if bag two
for upside down building!
(might not be the first use of this piece for this, but it's the first I saw and it blew me away.

I haven't done AS yet, but I used that part that way already. It can be done really small, it will be interesting to see if his technique is even better.

Damn, so i just saw the Batman Series in stores now and apparently that 3.99 euro pricetag has reached us as well here :(

the increase is REAL isn't it? I suppose this isn't just for some series but for regular CMF ones as well right?

Rootbeer

Banned
CMF price stayed the same in the USA... although for how much longer is anyone's guess... it's clear which way the wind is blowing. Sorry that you guys got hit with it before us

Koren

the increase is REAL isn't it? I suppose this isn't just for some series but for regular CMF ones as well right?
I'd be curious as well...

It also jumped from 2.59€ to 3.99€ here. That's 55% increase. It's insanely expensive, especially for a blind pack, it's Mixels price. I hope they get burned with it. I'm not usually complaining with price, but that's not reasonable. I feel bad for those collecting minifigs.

I'd be curious as well...

It also jumped from 2.59€ to 3.99€ here. That's 55% increase. It's insanely expensive, especially for a blind pack, it's Mixels price. I hope they get burned with it. I'm not usually complaining with price, but that's not reasonable. I feel bad for those collecting minifigs.

Yeah, the Batman figures aren't that interesting to me so I'll only get a few, preferrably at a 3 for the price of 2 deal. But I'm afraid for the next regular series where I will probably want them all again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom