• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT5| DARKNESS! NO MONEY! (or Break the Rules! Mix the Bags!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Woorloog

Banned
Saw one Krennic's Shuttle on sale for 70€ (normal price here is 80€ or 110€, depending on the place). Wonder if i should go back and get it... I don't have any Rogue One sets yet, partially because if i get one, i kinda should get the rest for the Rogue One team itself (i'm rarely interested in minifigs themselves).

On the other hand, i kinda want to wait for the Y-wing to be released here.

Fowler

Great haul today. Got the Phantom, Joker Balloon Escape, Deathtrooper battle pack and the complete LEGO Batman CMF line. I think that's a total of about 29 minifigs today!

xea8Leq.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ezm-VUI4PpA

Yours for the low, low cost of $48 million.

U.K. Guys - for info I picked up the Angry Birds castle today in Smyths Toys for £30

Won't be a particularly desirable set but it's 850 pieces and based on a castle after all!

Also on Amazon there is a batman movie book with tartan batman figure for £3.59 with prime

Jang reviewed the Phantom. Kind of spot on:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qq5buvGBN1c

Decent enough ship, Thrawn is great, the set is overpriced like hell.

Normally, I'd agree with him. Lego generally are fair. But looking at the very collectible Batman figures, the ridiculously overpriced A-Wing vs TIE (which had Tarkin, and Vader who is only in 99$+ sets), this with Thrawn, and the new A-Wing (which has Lando), it's looking a bit suspicious. Oh, and you could possibly add the Hulk set, although bigfigs are always expensive and there's two. But they have to know that She-Hulk would be sought after. I'm almost surprised Ms Marvel was in such a cheap set, but then again the set is almost useless.

Then there's the Maul set with three fairly popular (if relatively common) main characters for a decent price, and the upcoming bounty hunter set. Huh.

yeah ive learned to wait ~6 months for stuff that feels too expensive and you can usually find sets at 30%+ off fairly easily. I didnt feel the new x wings were worth $80 but they were going for 54$ this holiday which was certainly in line with what I was willing to pay.

Im waiting for killer crocs tailgator to be ~$40-50 cause right now that $70 price is crazy even with the big fig. Set looks good though.

I just realized that it looks pretty easy and cheap to re color the x wings. On the resistance x wing you only need like 60 pieces to replace the blue with something else. I might bricklink some and try it out just to see what it looks like.

ruxtpin

Banned
I'm starting to get my addiction under control. Weeding myself down to just 10XXX sets and Star Wars. Occasionally pick up a smaller set that tickles my fancy, but realized I can't keep up with all the Marvel and DC sets rolling out.

New TLBM pack with Chief O'Hara and two police officers:

Came here to post this. I can't remember LEGO ever hitting a theme this hard. All the polys, sets, CMFs, store-exclusives etc. Are the LEGO Batman sets moving well?

Set-wise I've only bought the Riddler one so far but I like it. Clayface will be next.

I'm starting to get my addiction under control. Weeding myself down to just 10XXX sets and Star Wars. Occasionally pick up a smaller set that tickles my fancy, but realized I can't keep up with all the Marvel and DC sets rolling out.

I've gotten much better but certain things keep sucking me back in. I've had very little interest in DC sets over the last couple of years but the Batman stuff is just too good. I'm kind of hoping the modulars are done with Assembly Square since I'm already out of room.

I know I'll buy almost all the Marvel sets and most of the SW sets. Any 10XXX respite is good in my books.

Oh, and I'll buy the Creator Expert cars. I've held off on the Beetle so far but it won't last.

Ooooh I like that Phantom. I wonder if they'll do a better scaled Ghost?

When I heard that the new Phantom was made to fit into the old Ghost I figured we weren't going to get a new Ghost.

Once I saw how awful it looks in Jang's review, I'm now hopeful! We also need a new Ezra to go with the updated Kanan.

Yeah, find myself getting pickier lately. Mainly because my backlog of sets I got on clearance is still massive, and I am running out of space. Still getting sets I really, really want, but am being choosier.

Ponn

Banned
My Lego addiction died after getting a lower paying job. Should be able to go back to adding sets again after a find a better one.

I know its hard to probably be satisfied with cheap sets but the cheap Creator sets are still so good. You got that Dinosaur and the Robo Explorer sets for $20 or under on sale. Don't give up and hang in there.

If anything that might be better in the long run cause you'll have only the ones you really want the most taking up your shelves and not a bunch from a single year of splurging

Speaking from experience, I kinda miss the being picky years. The last two years were splurge years, and I have so much shit now and so much more to open and sort. It is kind of demoralizing seeing how much I have to sort into the collective now that I almost don't want to MOC.

I am trying to restrain myself this year.

Fowler

Yeah, my solution is to just buy minifigs tbh. I don't have space anymore, but I do have space to make dioramas around "hero" structures -- my Avengers clustered around a double-height Stark Tower, Star Wars aliens in the Cantina, LOTR figs by Orthanc, Batman around Arkham, etc.

But... there are still big sets that I'll get. I haven't built the UCS Tumbler, and I haven't bought the Ghostbusters Firehouse, but those are on the list.

(I know there are some relatively meh reviews for the firehouse, but Ghostbusters is my favourite movie ever, so...)

3N16MA

Banned

TLG is pumping out so much great stuff right now that it gets tough trying to keep up. Also I would think it would feel more like a chore trying to buy everything you like and having a massive backlog.

I just stick with UCS Star Wars (occasional SW set that might not get the UCS treatment), Modulars, Creator Cars, and a few sets that really grab my attention. Pick up the minifigs that I really want.

I know its hard to probably be satisfied with cheap sets but the cheap Creator sets are still so good. You got that Dinosaur and the Robo Explorer sets for $20 or under on sale. Don't give up and hang in there.

I kinda prefer smaller sets anyway because I don't have the time to put together big sets lol.

A possibly interesting detail from the Assembly Square manual: they have a miniature picture of all the modulars, which includes Market Street. Since there is a microbuild of it inside the AS itself, I guess that's also pretty obvious. Also interesting is that the older modulars are greyed out, including Pet Shop and Palace Cinema. So while PC is still available, I'm 100% that it will be phased out this year.

I made a huge review of Assembly Square:
http://www.beardednerd.se/lego-assembly-square-10255/

In short, it's amazing. It's not quite as densely packed with OMG-awesome as Parisian Restaurant, and the individual buildings aren't as beautiful as that or Green Grocer, but it's definitely in the top 3. Tons of Jamie moments (tm) along the way, tons of new and wonderful parts (it will be a complete nightmare to Bricklink in a few years), and it's all just so fantastically cozy and quaint. Just like Green Grocer, I want to live in this set. If recent Star Wars prices has made you cynical about Lego, building the AFOL apartment will make you realize that they love you. Or at least Jamie does.

In shorter: buy it dammit!

assemblysquare05.jpg

assemblysquare03.jpg

I think I saw it through here. Can anyone link me to a set of photos with retro themed mecs? It was Blacktron and Ice Planet and the like. Thanks!

Plum

Does the Caterham fit with the Mini Cooper and VW Beetle/Camper Van in terms of scale? I'm thinking of buying that over the Ferrari F40 as it's slightly cheaper and fits more in with the classic car style that the line has been going for.

On a side note; wew Assembly Square looks amazing. Can't wait to get my hands on it in a few months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom