• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT5| DARKNESS! NO MONEY! (or Break the Rules! Mix the Bags!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gonna start getting the series 16 minifigures.

Which one(or ones) are The most rare to get??

Rarity guide already provided, but rarity aside, there is also the issue of desireability that affects rarity. Shark Guy and Queen are both easy to feel for and I've already talked with two people who specifically said they wanted the queen. That new leg/dress piece has people very intrigued. So I'd try to make them a priority.

Just hope you get lucky and find a nearly full box or an end cap that seems to have 30 or 40 of them on there. Then you should have a good chance to feel out a full set. It's worth standing there to do it, IMO.

Reminds me, I'm jealous... i ran into a guy at TRU while I was feeling out my Series 16 set and he could tell what a minifig was by barely even feeling the pack... literally about 4 or 5 seconds for every minifig, even the harder ones. I know he wasn't BSing because he handed me a few I was looking for. I was impressed!

So what's the deal with this site? Can you order as many minifig parts/pieces as you want? It asks for a reason for each part, what do you put if you are just fishing for parts you don't have? :p

You pay for the parts and shipping right? Just trying to find out more about how it works and how other AFOLs are using this resource.

CMF:
It's too early to tell because of the initial rush, but even though the shark guy comes in a high quantity I found 0 of him on my 2nd run in two full boxes in a LEGO store. It was the 4th day of release so it's expected the boxes were picked over and leftovers were consolidated. The ease of finding the shark is both a positive and negative. Positive because you can identify a shark bag in seconds. Negative because a person can identify a shark bag in seconds which means boxes can easily be picked clean of the shark guy. If you are only looking for the shark guy, you can eliminate many bags without even feeling by the fatness of a bag.

Brick and Pieces:
You do pay for shipping. Was very reasonable. There is a number in dropdown list if you adjust the quantity after you added the item you wanted. I'm guessing that is the limit. Just used it for first time myself. I've ordered multiple 2-6 of same heads or torsos. It fulfilled and shipped with no issues. Haven't received package yet.

TIP: There is a timeout for inactivity and you can lose the items you have added to your list of items to get. It doesn't work like any cart I've used. It did not save the list for me which was irritating because I spent an hour viewing different sets to build that list.

They've sold parts online for quite a long time now... (was even better before since you could order a custom box and manual for a MOC IIRC)

But I still don't understand why there's both Bricks and Pieces and Pick a Brick.

I'm guessing Pick a Brick is for elements that are in active production. Bricks and Pieces are not.

I have ideas for MOC's but my collection has become a tad unmanageable that I would like to cut it down a tad before I embark on any big ideas. Thankfully my MOC ideas aren't big in scale

What is your storage system? Do you do any sorting and storing things separately?

Koren

Bricks and Pieces is an awesome service, but it's also misused. Theoretically, a dedicated fan can buy a few multiples of a particular part, rather than having to buy multiples of the sets. It's handy when you need many of some brand new part that only exists in one set.

That's in theory. In practice, the exact minute a new part is made available, some scalper swoops in and buys the entire stock. Boom. This is my theory, because every time there's been a hard reset of the store (after Christmas), I hear about it opening and then, even if I go there within an hour or so, all new and unique parts are sold out. So, as always, some people ruin the fun for everyone. And those rare pieces? They end up on Bricklink, of course. How do you think people get 1500 of a single minifig?

BaP can be useful though, if you're looking for tricky parts that aren't specifically rare. A few days ago when it opened again, I got a bunch of the 1x1 tiles with a pin, as well as a few more uncommon parts. A few years ago I even managed to buy a few of the Imperial Flagship masts - they literally called me back after having found the very last three they could find.

BaP versus PAB? BaP is a specialty service and probably hilarious non-profitable for Lego. It's pretty much some guys with a storehouse of all available parts, so every order is handmade and takes a bit longer. This is also why parts are more expensive. They can still be a LOT cheaper than on Bricklink simply because Lego can produce as many as they feel like, although I doubt that refilling BaP is a huge priority. (BaP does refill at times - I was looking for Skyra parts before and couldn't find them, but they were available after the 2016 refresh)

PAB is just a bigger version of the walls in the stores. There are a couple of thousand (?) of the most common parts, and I'm guessing that the ordering is semi-automated. Since there is less to choose from, the prices are lower than BaP and sometimes really reasonable. Prices are mostly based on part size, so it's a good option to get small specialized parts like jumpers. Bigger parts like plates and long bricks tend to get too expensive though.
Thanks for the long and interesting answer... The automated process vs "human" process make sense, even if they say that PaB is also picked by hand (although I understand in a smaller set).

And now I understand also how people can have dozen of rare pieces on BL... Too bad that scalping also occur this way :/

I've wondered about the PaB prince, indeed. Even if it's linked on the sizes of the pieces, I've found several large pieces cheaper on PaB than on bricklink when I began bricklinking the Blue Grocer.

(btw, I noticed that there was dark green in the basement, and since I went the sand blue route, I decided I would switch this dark green in dark blue... that's not the most cost-effective choice I've done, but at least, PaB dark blue pieces available are cheaper than finding them on BL, too).

Bricks and Pieces is an awesome service, but it's also misused. Theoretically, a dedicated fan can buy a few multiples of a particular part, rather than having to buy multiples of the sets. It's handy when you need many of some brand new part that only exists in one set.

That's in theory. In practice, the exact minute a new part is made available, some scalper swoops in and buys the entire stock. Boom. This is my theory, because every time there's been a hard reset of the store (after Christmas), I hear about it opening and then, even if I go there within an hour or so, all new and unique parts are sold out. So, as always, some people ruin the fun for everyone. And those rare pieces? They end up on Bricklink, of course. How do you think people get 1500 of a single minifig?

BaP can be useful though, if you're looking for tricky parts that aren't specifically rare. A few days ago when it opened again, I got a bunch of the 1x1 tiles with a pin, as well as a few more uncommon parts. A few years ago I even managed to buy a few of the Imperial Flagship masts - they literally called me back after having found the very last three they could find.

BaP versus PAB? BaP is a specialty service and probably hilarious non-profitable for Lego. It's pretty much some guys with a storehouse of all available parts, so every order is handmade and takes a bit longer. This is also why parts are more expensive. They can still be a LOT cheaper than on Bricklink simply because Lego can produce as many as they feel like, although I doubt that refilling BaP is a huge priority. (BaP does refill at times - I was looking for Skyra parts before and couldn't find them, but they were available after the 2016 refresh)

PAB is just a bigger version of the walls in the stores. There are a couple of thousand (?) of the most common parts, and I'm guessing that the ordering is semi-automated. Since there is less to choose from, the prices are lower than BaP and sometimes really reasonable. Prices are mostly based on part size, so it's a good option to get small specialized parts like jumpers. Bigger parts like plates and long bricks tend to get too expensive though.

I'm surprised something can't be put into place to limit amounts of some items. I'm in software development and all the data to identify highly suspect purchases is in a database. As you stated, it's probably a unprofitable service so no budget is allocated to something like that. It would be some very simple database queries. Very low cost. Sure there are ways around blacklisting of addresses by shipping to different address (or modifying address to not match, but enough that postal service can still figure it out), but it would be more painful and less profitable for scalpers.

ghostmind

My newest acquisition, and the oldest set in my collection:

376 (560 in Europe) House with Garden
released 1978

j1YuFss.jpg

As a child, this was the second LEGO set I received (the first being the Galaxy Explorer), so there is some history here. It was sold off in some garage sale in my teens, but now it is finally back, thanks to a private sale of one in remarkable condition.

PCJq6dV.jpg

The colors (especially the whites) are still bright and vibrant, and the rare sticker awnings and TV set are like new.

gxXXfYl.jpg

hCc3lYN.jpg

rPJzA0v.jpg

Yes - that Samsonite. They distributed LEGO sets in Canada back in the late 70's.

PEv4bZ7.jpg

The box is showing some wear, but that it even came with an intact box, as well as insert and instruction booklet is amazing.

pdr6M7j.jpg

After nearly 40 years, this set could almost pass as a modern Creator house. So glad to have it.

I took 1 set of Battle on Takodana and then bricklinked 2 more sets to combine them into something that looked more into the actual setting from the movie.

It is still a work in progress since I have quite a few pieces hanging around. What do you guys think, am I going in the right direction?

Looks fantastic!

The woes of being broke: wal-mart had the Ultra Agents Hurricane Heist and the Morrow Dragon on clearance for $40 a piece.

Stupid human body -- do you know how much I would save if I didn't have to feed you to live?! :p

I just rewatched The Winter Soldier. I think I'm gonna open that polybag. It's not too valuable and it probably saves me from having to buy another set later on. So many great characters there.

3N16MA

Banned
Hunted down a brand new sealed Sea Cow at a reasonable price. I now have a small backlog of sets to get to.

Sea Cow
UCS X-Wing
Palace Cinema
Parisian Restaurant

Good times ahead.

Hunted down a brand new sealed Sea Cow at a reasonable price. I now have a small backlog of sets to get to.

Sea Cow
UCS X-Wing
Palace Cinema
Parisian Restaurant

Good times ahead.
It is a tough fight between Sea Cow and Parisian Restaurant for the best set of that lot.

keakster

Trying to put together DP's apartment with Lego. Currently using Lego's Digital Designer program to plan it. The layout is based on the apartment from the video game. Half of the walls are still pretty bare and I'm looking for ideas to fill them. Check out the images to see what I have so far, or download LDD and hit up the creations link to see the model in 3D or make your own changes.

I am looking for feedback and suggestions before I really consider whether or not to build. So let me know what you think!

Lego Creations Link (earlier build): http://ldd.us.lego.com/en-us/galler...memberid=00aa13a1-0ddc-4316-a639-5ad87ddb4e14

Imgur album link: http://imgur.com/a/ymbQT

ksNgKqA.png

6vQTB68.png

awpmoRf.png

Gn6vsoF.png

TJvu57y.png

My newest acquisition, and the oldest set in my collection:

376 (560 in Europe) House with Garden
released 1978

j1YuFss.jpg

After nearly 40 years, this set could almost pass as a modern Creator house. So glad to have it.

I remember that one quite well. I nagged my mother to buy that one for me. I vaguely recall wanting it because it had the female minifig (my first one), tree, and flowers. It's not as impressive as the Galaxy Explorer or the LEGO Expert Auto Chassis I also owned, but that set triggers fond childhood LEGO memories just as much.

keakster

Watch the beginning of the Deadpool game or play it yourself as it's the best way to poke around the environment you're looking to build. Just don't even think of posting it on LEGO Ideas as that Deadpool figure in the initial X-Men set is as close as we were ever going to get and there's not going to be another one anytime soon.

I'd be lying if I said I hadn't considered LEGO Ideas, but after looking at what has been previously approved I had to admit that it had no shot. I'm just here looking for ideas to dress up the walls, either with DP specific ideas, or just what others have done for general dwelling builds.

I remember that one quite well. I nagged my mother to buy that one for me. I vaguely recall wanting it because it had the female minifig (my first one), tree, and flowers. It's not as impressive as the Galaxy Explorer or the LEGO Expert Auto Chassis I also owned, but that set triggers fond childhood LEGO memories just as much.
Brickset lists it as Test Car, but to me it is always Auto Chassis.

8865-1.1171262805.thumb2.jpg

This was the set I wanted more than anything as a kid, but never got. Maybe I should fix that soon.

Edit: hmm. There are only about five parts that I would need to get to actually make it. Some I have but need more of, some I had never seen before.

This past week's been fun. I decided to modify an old model that I wasn't quite happy with, then, whilst in the middle of this, I realised it would be easier to rebuild it from scratch, so I try to find some good reference images, and discover that there are more images of my model than what it's based on. Still, it's finished and I'm happy with it, and I decided to finish some related builds as well whilst I was still in a sense of victory.

This past week's been fun. I decided to modify an old model that I wasn't quite happy with, then, whilst in the middle of this, I realised it would be easier to rebuild it from scratch, so I try to find some good reference images, and discover that there are more images of my model than what it's based on. Still, it's finished and I'm happy with it, and I decided to finish some related builds as well whilst I was still in a sense of victory.
Pics or it didn't happen.

TheFuzz

After a long hunt, ended up snagging the Mystery Mansion for a deal... Sold a dining room set to my soon-to-be-engaged brother and took the set as part of the payment.

Pretty stoked. Got a backlog now.

boltz

After a long hunt, ended up snagging the Mystery Mansion for a deal... Sold a dining room set to my soon-to-be-engaged brother and took the set as part of the payment.

Pretty stoked. Got a backlog now.

Nice, it's always get rid of unwanted furniture and get something of value for it.

Speaking of Pick a Brick, I got my first large order from them. Hard to belive that all came out to $75. I've gotten more familiar with Bricklink since then, so I'm going that route next time I need parts, but it is nice to get everything you need from a single source.

Oh and another difference between PAB and BAP is that PAB orders get VIP points, whereas BAP orders don't.

Speaking of Pick a Brick, I got my first large order from them. Hard to belive that all came out to $75. I've gotten more familiar with Bricklink since then, so I'm going that route next time I need parts, but it is nice to get everything you need from a single source.

That was $75? I just put in about $28 to a B&P order. Curious to see how it looks. I just realized I screwed up on a 1x2 groove brick; ordered 1 when I meant to order 10.

boltz

That was $75? I just put in about $28 to a B&P order. Curious to see how it looks. I just realized I screwed up on a 1x2 groove brick; ordered 1 when I meant to order 10.

Yeah, it was 488 pieces total. But what really kills me is the time (~2 weeks) it takes for me to get the parts since they are apparently coming from Europe. That's another leg up for Bricklink.

This was the set I wanted more than anything as a kid, but never got. Maybe I should fix that soon.

Edit: hmm. There are only about five parts that I would need to get to actually make it. Some I have but need more of, some I had never seen before.

This is the one I had. I always get mixed up on the name. I think it also had more than one set number. I also used to play with the pins as flick fire missiles long before they had flick fire missiles. I would use a pin to remove another pin and it would shoot out. I guess it would be called pin fire missiles.

rClRWjH.jpg

wetwired

I just finished putting together the Batman Vs Superman batsignal set, I was surprised to see all the nice detailed printing under Batman armour, shame it was hidden away. I took it off to get a photo comparison only to see how much the armour creased the cape :(

I'll probably have to buy a second set now, I wanted the Batman to put my Ikea frame full of Batmen, I can't decide whether to have him with or without armour.

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
Great new piece appearing in the new Mixels wave. Like, really interesting- some ideas over at Brickset:

Cant wait to see it used in the 2017 Modular :p

Fire Brigade, Cinema, Sea Cow, Pet Shop, Town Hall.

Use Sea Cow (best set of that bunch) as a break from modulars.

I'm not going to build them all!

Just one this week. I can't decide whether to add to my current modular street (DO/GE/PR) or Sea Cow it. I think I'm leaning towards the Sea Cow but I'll probably end up rolling a dice or something in the end, haha.

Pics or it didn't happen.

The Robot Wars arena from series 5 - 7. I decided to change it because the proportions were wrong. I had changed the dimensions of the original model, then thought that the arena hazards were place wrongly, and I was never really happy with the angle grinders, or the flipper mechanism, so I just decided to redo it completely, and ended up changing more than I originally planned.

Original vs. New
The Arena itself
lGaXABn.png
yBXn6ia.png
The Floorplan
x639fE5.png
NG9wpKj.png
The Flipper
eGumBIv.png
UhUjKLe.png
The Pit and Drop Zone
v6pGly9.png
IAE9UxG.png
Angle Grinders
axiwwr5.png
NwjZlbn.png
Pit Release
VINub6T.png
rieGc4f.png

As for the other builds, most of them were just minor improvements to already finished models, but this might as well have been from scratch:
Mr. Psycho
UyCKgDv.png
NE33pho.png

Tom_Cody

I wanted that set more than anything when I was a kid. Never got it.

The Robot Wars arena from series 5 - 7. I decided to change it because the proportions were wrong. I had changed the dimensions of the original model, then thought that the arena hazards were place wrongly, and I was never really happy with the angle grinders, or the flipper mechanism, so I just decided to redo it completely, and ended up changing more than I originally planned.

Original vs. New

As for the other builds, most of them were just minor improvements to already finished models, but this might as well have been from scratch:
Looks awesome. Now to wait for pics of the actual build.

8bit

Knows the Score
Just finished The Big Bang Theory, which was a Christmas gift. It was kind of unfun except for the Green Lantern lamp and the telescope. :(

On to Doctor Who and The Louvre now though.

ghostmind

Here are 14 of the Series 16 minifigs:

Babysitter
Wildlife photographer
Cyborg
Ice queen
Penguin guy
Banana guy
Spy
Boy in imp costume
Hiker
Rogue (not the X-Men character)
Arabian knight
Mariachi band member
Spooky boy
Scallywag (aka Pirate)

Penguin guy
Banana guy

One of the weakest series if I am just going by description, but these two are going to be awesome. Got myself a skunk today (together with some minifig). I am really terrible at feeling those minifigure bags, thought I had a sharkguy...

ghostmind

Feeling the opposite - that this may be one of the strongest entries. We are still missing two of them, and the potential for animals in the "Wildlife Photographer, and "Hiker" sets, plus another baby with the "Babysitter", plus two costume characters, plus an "Arabian Knight", and an Assassin's Creed-ish "Rogue"... hyped!

First we need pictures though, and hopefully before that the list and photos of the Disney CMF series!

Rootbeer

Banned
The thing about the minifig series... every time a lineup leaks I feel underwhelmed but my opinion changes once i see how they are executed. :) So, don't underestimate them!

I'm most excited about Disney though. If they pull it off, it will be better than Simpsons for me (and I loved those)

Akim

Banned
I bought my first lego set yesterday - The Simpsons House. I'm having a really good time putting it together. So many little awesome touches. I love the carbon rod and the property of Flanders stickers. Why the hell do all the family members look like they smoked 9000 marijuanas though? They look messed up.

I know they also made a Kwik-E-Mart. Anyone know if there are any plans to make more?

I bought my first lego set yesterday - The Simpsons House. I'm having a really good time putting it together. So many little awesome touches. I love the carbon rod and the property of Flanders stickers. Why the hell do all the family members look like they smoked 9000 marijuanas though? They look messed up.

I know they also made a Kwik-E-Mart. Anyone know if there are any plans to make more?

No plans yet for other sets unfortunately. The Simpsons House was my first set out of my "dark ages".

wetwired

Babysitter
Wildlife photographer
Cyborg
Ice queen
Penguin guy
Banana guy
Spy
Boy in imp costume
Hiker
Rogue (not the X-Men character)
Arabian knight
Mariachi band member
Spooky boy
Scallywag (aka Pirate)

Please be in black this time so we can make the Three Amigoes

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Making it from pieces you already have isn't the same as buying the original set. Surely you can find one on eBay? My two big childhood sets were the technic chassis 8860 which I rebought a few years ago from eBay, and a classic space ship which I can't remember the number for.

ghostmind

This list seems to change it to "Serenader" :(

The video BrickFan is referencing has "mariachi band style" in parenthesis beside the "serenader" name, so it is just probably a translation issue between sources.

Apparently CM4Sci at Eurobricks is saying the last two are a dog show judge and a female kickboxer.

And BrickFan is also saying that Disney CMF is out in May - my source says June, so we'll see.

Had a fun few day, our little girl was born Wednesday so to keep our 4 year old happy and occupied got some sets to build with him - win for me as its great to do them together.

Made jestros evil mobile and the Moltar set and got the fortrex on the way as he has taken a liking to Nexo Knights.

Went to a party yesterday and he randomly got a green alien polybag (toy story) in his party bag which was great as we didn't even know they exist then today we picked up the micro fighter first order snow speeder for £4 mispriced at ASDA and his grandma brought round the Minecraft dungeon set which we will make this week.

Not told him I've got Reys speeder and ant man final battle tucked away as well :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom