• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT5| DARKNESS! NO MONEY! (or Break the Rules! Mix the Bags!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rootbeer

Banned
I've found new sets on clearance before (sometimes only a week or two old). Each store can mandate their own clearance items so it sometimes happens. Or sometimes is a mistake.

Still always cool when you stumble upon it, heh

Whoa...definitely something up with LEGO Dimensions. Are they not selling well or is LEGO willing to take a hit to gain market share?

Amazon http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013J4LAZM/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Ghostbusters Stay Puft Fun Pack - LEGO Dimensions

List Price: $14.99
Price: $7.49 Free Prime shipping once available
You Save: $7.50 (50%)

Yeah well...maybe that means they're selling AMAZINGLY well in EU since our prices are STILL 14.99 per fun pack etc. pretty much anywhere :(

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Saw this at Target awhile ago. It's expensive to be environmental conscious.
EDIT: Studs on wood.
5sEjMaDl.jpg

It's super environmental concious to cut up entire trees for some toys, yes. Never again must my eyes witness streets and forests littered with lego bricks again.

only partially kidding

Koren

It's super environmental concious to cut up entire trees for some toys, yes. Never again must my eyes witness streets and forests littered with lego bricks again.

only partially kidding
Wood can be (and often is) farmed. It's not really different from crops except you don't harvest each year.

I'm sure you're aware of this, it's just that I don't understand tbe "they cut trees for that, it's awful" argument, especially when they even farm wood for heating...

I mean, we're the 11th country producing wood, andd there's more and more forests here (doubled since 1850, +20% since 1985). Usually, producing wood actually increase forests.

Granted, less "natural" forest sometimes.

I'm curious to see hiw it works with bricks, though, not sure it can really work with studs...

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Wood can be (and often is) farmed. It's not really different from crops except you don't harvest each year.

I'm sure you're aware of this, it's just that I don't understand tbe "they cut trees for that, it's awful" argument, especially when they even farm wood for heating...

I get it, don't worry :)

On a serious side note though, I wonder if those wooden blocks would actually look cool if you use them together with regular bricks. For a wooden shack or something, maybe.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
So I'm considering picking up the Creator Corner Deli as well as Creator Toy and Grocery and/or Creator Bike Shop and Cafe since TRU is having a 20% off Creator sale.
One of the big selling points for me is that it seems they would give me a solid starting point for MOCing buildings. Is that the case? Would I be able to do some pretty decent building MOCs with two or three of those sets?
Any thoughts one way or another with those sets?

Then on the other hand, it does seem a little silly to spend around $100 on these Creator sets when for just a bit more I could buy another modular, which would certainly be a good starting point for a MOC building (and would be a great build in general).

So I'm considering picking up the Creator Corner Deli as well as Creator Toy and Grocery and/or Creator Bike Shop and Cafe since TRU is having a 20% off Creator sale.
One of the big selling points for me is that it seems they would give me a solid starting point for MOCing buildings. Is that the case? Would I be able to do some pretty decent building MOCs with two or three of those sets?
Any thoughts one way or another with those sets?

Then on the other hand, it does seem a little silly to spend around $100 on these Creator sets when for just a bit more I could buy another modular, which would certainly be a good starting point for a MOC building (and would be a great build in general).

Yes, the Creator sets are neat and have a great range of useful parts, but generally too few of either to make anything. With three Bike Shops you could probably build a modular, but the main issue is basic bricks. You never get as many as in an actual modular set.

If you have spare cash, get a modular in the main colour you want. You'll probably need a ton of other parts anyway.

TheFuzz

So I've kind of showed off my modular "mods" before on here, but this was my first crack at a 100% custom modular.

Most of you know I'm a pretty big Batman fan, so rather than make another modular police station that we have seen a ton of, I decided to make a smaller Major Crimes Unit station as depicted in a lot of Batman media. I tried to keep it simple and "bleak" so it wouldn't clash too much my Arkham Asylum modular. This was also my first crack at interiors, so I've included a shot of the processing area as well as Lieutenant Gordon's office.

There's still a sizable amount of work to do on the interior, roof, and adding some window/door panes when my next BL order arrives. While it's not complete (and the window frames are missing), I wanted to show you all where I'm at. There's also an armory, interrogation room, and another office I've yet to finish.

XM0lMRo.jpg

NC61XzC.jpg

CuSxft8.jpg

6jOBMVk.jpg

Feedback always appreciated. I hope you all enjoy it!

So I've kind of showed off my modular "mods" before on here, but this was my first crack at a 100% custom modular

This is terrific, great work!

It's definitely got a strong "Gotham" vibe to it. I love the handcuffs & statue.

How did you get started on it? I've often played around with creating a modular on a 32x32 baseplate but have a hard time following through with any level of detail. Did you just build as you go or have a plan?

Edit: Nice air conditioner.

TheFuzz

This is terrific, great work!

It's definitely got a strong "Gotham" vibe to it. I love the handcuffs & statue.

How did you get started on it? I've often played around with creating a modular on a 32x32 baseplate but have a hard time following through with any level of detail. Did you just build as you go or have a plan?

Edit: Nice air conditioner.

Thanks! I kind of sketched out the front facade and went from there. I had it almost done twice before I tore it down to redo some things. I knew I wanted really tall Windows and arches. The second story was lots of trial and error, but finally came together. I built the base on a regular 32x32 and just went from there.

Kipp

Incredible work, TheFuzz! That looks amazing.

Yes, the Creator sets are neat and have a great range of useful parts, but generally too few of either to make anything. With three Bike Shops you could probably build a modular, but the main issue is basic bricks. You never get as many as in an actual modular set.

If you have spare cash, get a modular in the main colour you want. You'll probably need a ton of other parts anyway.

I ended up getting the Bike Shop & Cafe and the Corner Deli. I don't have any plans to make a full-on modular. Just a MOC building of a smaller scale. Plus, I'm very excited to build all of the buildings that there are instructions for in both of the sets, so that's part of the reason I got them too, not just as parts packs.

So I've kind of showed off my modular "mods" before on here, but this was my first crack at a 100% custom modular.

Most of you know I'm a pretty big Batman fan, so rather than make another modular police station that we have seen a ton of, I decided to make a smaller Major Crimes Unit station as depicted in a lot of Batman media. I tried to keep it simple and "bleak" so it wouldn't clash too much my Arkham Asylum modular. This was also my first crack at interiors, so I've included a shot of the processing area as well as Lieutenant Gordon's office.

There's still a sizable amount of work to do on the interior, roof, and adding some window/door panes when my next BL order arrives. While it's not complete (and the window frames are missing), I wanted to show you all where I'm at. There's also an armory, interrogation room, and another office I've yet to finish.

XM0lMRo.jpg

NC61XzC.jpg

CuSxft8.jpg

6jOBMVk.jpg

Feedback always appreciated. I hope you all enjoy it!
Looks great! I love the front steps and entryway the most.

Kipp

Just finished this little build. Totally love it.

For such a tiny build, it took me way longer than I thought it would. It was something between 1 and 2 hours of (slow, relaxed-pace) building time. Just a surprisingly really fun and rad build.

Got the airport battle set for Civil War from Kmart today, now just waiting on the other two. Didn't think them selling early would be legit at first but it's just in time for vacation. I just wish Quicksilver was available in other sets because he's the last one I need and I feel like his minifig isn't really worth $15.

Is the rumors of that Ghostbusters roof top Gozer set not going to happen? Was hoping to get the dogs in that set.
No way of knowing at his point, and I'd imagine the devil dogs would be different anyway. Slimer is different between the Firehouse and the Dimensions sets, as are the Daleks for Doctor Who. Plus if the set never actually happens, at least I'll have two.

TheFuzz

Thanks everyone!

And Kipp, if you're near a Lego store, check the PAB wall for getting lots of basic bricks for modular buildings moc's, that's how I got most of mine.

Just finished this little build. Totally love it.

For such a tiny build, it took me way longer than I thought it would. It was something between 1 and 2 hours of (slow, relaxed-pace) building time. Just a surprisingly really fun and rad build.

Build is bigger on the inside.
Doctor Who joke.

TheFuzz

Silly(Eskimo), were you the one who recommended Doc Ock Heist to go with Brick Bank? I grabbed it a few weeks back during a Wal-Mart clearance for $15.... LOVE this set. It's a great build for the truck and the minifigures are a nice plus. Thanks for the tip!

So apparently corporate sprang a sale on us the day before it happened, and from today until March4/5th? there are a bunch of sets on sale in Lego stores. Big Bang Theory and the Architecture Kit are the standouts since those are exclusives and they NEVER go on sale, but a ton of City was on sale, Creator, Friends, Elves, and Duplo. The City Shuttle Launch is on sale down to $95 from $120 so I finally jumped in, ~$50 for a ~500 piece set is about where it should have been in the first place (I know I know, large specialty pieces, yeah yeah whatever) I'm really excited to build and display that in my office.

I got a good long look at the 60s Bat Cave fully built and on display, and it doesn't look AS bad in person but those barren plates are just, fuck man. I figured out how to fix it though, since the reactor core thingy means nothing to me (no idea what episode or movie it's from) I'm not even gonna build it and I'll just use the tons of tan brick to flesh out and texture the other two parts. I also just happen to have the first Lego Batman they gave away at SDCC, and the newest BvS Batman, so if I get three of those half-cylendar trans pieces I can make a little area for Classic, 90s, and Modern Bat-Suits. Stick my Lego Dinos T-Rex in there and MOC a giant dime and I'll be all set I think. I even have the most recent modern Bat Cave too, never opened it, I could easily combine the two and make a pretty decent sized Bat Cave for display.

TheFuzz

So apparently corporate sprang a sale on us the day before it happened, and from today until March4/5th? there are a bunch of sets on sale in Lego stores. Big Bang Theory and the Architecture Kit are the standouts since those are exclusives and they NEVER go on sale, but a ton of City was on sale, Creator, Friends, Elves, and Duplo. The City Shuttle Launch is on sale down to $95 from $120 so I finally jumped in, ~$50 for a ~500 piece set is about where it should have been in the first place (I know I know, large specialty pieces, yeah yeah whatever) I'm really excited to build and display that in my office.

I got a good long look at the 60s Bat Cave fully built and on display, and it doesn't look AS bad in person but those barren plates are just, fuck man. I figured out how to fix it though, since the reactor core thingy means nothing to me (no idea what episode or movie it's from) I'm not even gonna build it and I'll just use the tons of tan brick to flesh out and texture the other two parts. I also just happen to have the first Lego Batman they gave away at SDCC, and the newest BvS Batman, so if I get three of those half-cylendar trans pieces I can make a little area for Classic, 90s, and Modern Bat-Suits. Stick my Lego Dinos T-Rex in there and MOC a giant dime and I'll be all set I think. I even have the most recent modern Bat Cave too, never opened it, I could easily combine the two and make a pretty decent sized Bat Cave for display.

How much is BBT?

Maengun1

My crappy little town has still not stocked the series 15 minifigures anywhere O_O. They usually don't turn up until 10-14 days after the release date, but we're about to hit 3 weeks late, dayum. It's so annoying checking constantly and seeing that empty shelf space over and over!

On the other hand, I randomly happened to catch a brand new Detective's Office from an amazon third-party seller (fulfilled by amazon) for $10 off MSRP, so that's nice. Arriving on Monday. And I'll be adding the Parisian Restaurant to that when double VIP rolls around in a couple weeks. With those points added to the ones I already have hoarded, I'll be able to pick up the Ferris Wheel for about $140 this spring :)

Risible

How much is the Architecture Studio going for?

Trancos

Hi this is my first post in LegoGAF, I'm a long time lurker. Lego were my passion when I was a kid and I'm slowly starting back ( and by that I mean my wife got me a tie fighter set for Christmas ) . Anyways I just got this, should be a good build and a nice little set to display.

My crappy little town has still not stocked the series 15 minifigures anywhere O_O. They usually don't turn up until 10-14 days after the release date, but we're about to hit 3 weeks late, dayum. It's so annoying checking constantly and seeing that empty shelf space over and over!

I've only found them at Toys R Us, all my local walmarts and targets have nuffin.

Hi this is my first post in LegoGAF, I'm a long time lurker. Lego were my passion when I was a kid and I'm slowly starting back ( and by that I mean my wife got me a tie fighter set for Christmas ) . Anyways I just got this, should be a good build and a nice little set to display.
Welcome! And kiss your money goodbye!

mrkgoo

I heard that Lego was doing a fix for this - is it something you can just sign up for to get? Do you have to make an account?

Koren

I heard that Lego was doing a fix for this - is it something you can just sign up for to get? Do you have to make an account?
Unless you bought one of the first sets, you probably already have the fix in the box. They replaced the neck with a ball joint for posability, if I'm not mistaken.

If you have an old version, I'm pretty sure you can simply send a message to their customer service, without creating an account...

Maengun1

Yep, I bought Wall-E about a month ago -- not even direct from a Lego store -- and the neck fix parts and extra booklet were already in the box. Anyone buying it now should be good to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom