• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT5| DARKNESS! NO MONEY! (or Break the Rules! Mix the Bags!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Koren

The last one I bought, a month ago in a "normal" shop, hadn't an extra booklet, but a revised booklet and exactly the parts of the new neck.

I got my second BNP order today (with Sabine helmet) but I'm missing 2 pieces. They are both just 1x2 bricks with groove so hopefully they can send them to me.

Rootbeer

Banned
From what I can tell it's just the CMF chicken suit guy with a cardboard display. Not exactly great, but LEGO is counting on it being an impulse buy for Easter shoppers I guess.

And if you missed that minifig the first time around when it was a blind bag, now you can just buy him outright with a little display for $2 more. Might be worth it for some.

Here are two more polys. The fireman is up. The helicopter is not yet up.

https://www.toysrus.com/product/ind...42.2255962.3696486.31151746&parentPage=family

https://www.toysrus.com/product/ind...42.2255962.3696486.31151746&parentPage=family

RIP space.
Empty space is just a sign there's more room for sets!
From what I can tell it's just the CMF chicken suit guy with a cardboard display. Not exactly great, but LEGO is counting on it being an impulse buy for Easter shoppers I guess.

And if you missed that minifig the first time around when it was a blind bag, now you can just buy him outright with a little display for $2 more. Might be worth it for some.

And in what universe is the bottom one considered a helicopter? :p

ghostmind

I saw these at TRU yesterday, and was tempted to buy the "helicopter" only for the reason that LEGO has finally jumped the shark and is calling what is clearly a plane a helicopter. Now I'm left wondering what they will call a helicopter next...

FPQpKXo.jpg

Whee, I'm a helicopter!

I got my second BNP order today (with Sabine helmet) but I'm missing 2 pieces. They are both just 1x2 bricks with groove so hopefully they can send them to me.

What option are you selecting when you go to BNP? Replacement, Missing or Broken?

The only one I can find Sabine's helmet under is the broken but there is no cost so I'm presuming the order will get denied..

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
I am so impressed with the Creator Bike Shop & Cafe set. I'm just building one of the alternative builds right now - not even the main build - and it's a really substantial, great build! It really is just a slightly downsized, slightly less detailed modular. It's still like 1000 pieces, still has walls on all four sides, still looks really cool, and still gives you hours of building time. And that's just for one of the three builds! And all for $72. I'm loving this set way more than I thought I would.

What option are you selecting when you go to BNP? Replacement, Missing or Broken?

The only one I can find Sabine's helmet under is the broken but there is no cost so I'm presuming the order will get denied..
I just emailed them cuz I didn't know how else to report what happened accurately. I got the helmet luckily; I just mentioned it since it's reportedly no longer in stock so I wasn't sure I'd get it. They just shorted me a couple of 1x2s.

Kyari

I am so impressed with the Creator Bike Shop & Cafe set. I'm just building one of the alternative builds right now - not even the main build - and it's a really substantial, great build! It really is just a slightly downsized, slightly less detailed modular. It's still like 1000 pieces, still has walls on all four sides, still looks really cool, and still gives you hours of building time. And that's just for one of the three builds! And all for $72. I'm loving this set way more than I thought I would.

I finally picked this up thursday night after enjoying the Deli Corner so much :D

*NOT CURRENTLY FOR SALE YET*

seasonal easter set with chickensuit minifigure on toysrus.com

https://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=90236376

That is a really great deal for those that missed out on that minifig. I just checked Bricklink and the cheapest one which is used is over $20 USD!!! Guess what that means. Scalpers will be all over that TRU set.

I would have liked to see a variant in brown.

That's the thing about LEGO, they keep you guessing on which minifigs they are one and done and others they will re-release. Usually they are good about not putting out repeat collectible minifigs, but you never know when they will put out the exact same minifig again. For example, they redid the CMF series 1 zombie in brown (I liked the grey suit many times more). That Chicken guy will be the first CMF mascot I think that has be re-released exactly the same. LEGO could have at least put a different head to make it different than the "Collectible" Mini Figure version.

In the meantime, I'm still waiting for some of those Comicon LEGO exclusive minifies to make their way to retail. Quit slapping us in the face with highly desirable Super Hero minifigs we can't get.

I saw these at TRU yesterday, and was tempted to buy the "helicopter" only for the reason that LEGO has finally jumped the shark and is calling what is clearly a plane a helicopter. Now I'm left wondering what they will call a helicopter next...

FPQpKXo.jpg

Whee, I'm a helicopter!

At least they didn't call the "prison island", "resort island".

Maybe that polybag will become "highly collectible" just like Artic Batman and the Flux Capacitor misprint.

ghostmind

Creator buildings/houses are one of LEGO's hidden gems.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Apologies for the potato quality photo, but I am so in love with these Creator sets! They're seriously just miniature, cheaper modulars and they are so much fun! Just insanely good value. I'm just getting repetitious at this point, but you guys really should get on these sets (Corner Deli and Bike Shop & Cafe in particular). They don't look like much from the boxes or the photos which is why it took me so long to finally buy them, but man are they great sets, mostly if you're like me and you look for sets that are nice and relaxing to build. They're not super difficult builds like the modulars can be and I feel like they've given me the best build time/price ratio out of any set I've ever bought. I think it took me almost 4 hours just to build one of the THREE builds that come with Bike Shop & Cafe (and I think it's the smallest of the three builds). And this is a $72 set

There are only so many ways I can say I love these sets, so I'll just stop now. But yeah, I'm in love with these sets. They're not even close to my favorite display sets from Lego, but due to the fun and build-time and MOCing value, I think these sets are the most satisfied I've ever been with a Lego purchase.

neonglow

LEGO Creator buildings are my favorite theme. I've collected every single building since I got back into LEGO. They're almost always 4 walled structures unlike City and Friends sets where most buildings are just a facade.

I'm glad they're breaking out into shops and no longer focusing on just homes. The upcoming LEGO Creator RV looks outstanding and will be a must buy. Not a typical building structure but one of the alternates is a small vacation home.

7zyl15D.jpg

DJ_Lae

There are only so many ways I can say I love these sets, so I'll just stop now. But yeah, I'm in love with these sets. They're not even close to my favorite display sets from Lego, but due to the fun and build-time and MOCing value, I think these sets are the most satisfied I've ever been with a Lego purchase.

I agree! I have the grocery/toy shop set and it felt like a mini modular my daughter could build - and she loved it. Should pick up the ones you've mentioned too

EthsXGM.jpg

ThisOne

Where's the best place to buy an entire box of the minifigures series? Is there a way to buy directly from Lego or another retailer? I'd prefer to avoid resellers on eBay.

wetwired

Where's the best place to buy an entire box of the minifigures series? Is there a way to buy directly from Lego or another retailer? I'd prefer to avoid resellers on eBay.

I used to go to bricklink but nowdays I have a local retailer who I get them from for cheaper. Probably worth seeing if you have one nearby and starting a relationship with them. I usually everything cheaper from him, the only issue is I have to wait til he gets stock which is usually months behind shop@home and weeks behind the big retailers

boltz

I agree. It's also nice that you can get Creator sets on sale compared to the modular (which I have never seen a sale on). I only wish I got into them a little earlier because there are some legit cool ones such as the Family House and Seaside House. But I can imagine that we'll similar sets down the road.

LEGO Creator buildings are my favorite theme. I've collected every single building since I got back into LEGO. They're almost always 4 walled structures unlike City and Friends sets where most buildings are just a facade.

I'm glad they're breaking out into shops and no longer focusing on just homes. The upcoming LEGO Creator RV looks outstanding and will be a must buy. Not a typical building structure but one of the alternates is a small vacation home.

7zyl15D.jpg

I never noticed the alternate build of the small house, which is awesome. Thanks for putting this set on my radar now :p

Bigfoot

Do the last 3 Creator "Modular" sets (Bike Shop and Cafe, Toy Shop, and Corner Deli) go well together like the real Modulars do? They all look like they are on 16x16 plates so I'm thinking you could get a street of 4 buildings going, or even more if you buy multiples of each set. Anyone done this?

I've said it before and Ill say it again: While many themes have great years here and there, Creator is and will always be the GOAT lego theme. Fantastic small sets, and fantastic large sets (modulars are the best thing in all of lego in my opinion) And most importantly always super consistent, and improving. The 3-1 stuff encouraging imagination is just icing on the cake.

Star wars is a close second

Ponn

Banned
I wasn't into the Speed Champions line but after watching reviews I think i'm going to have to pick up the Corvette and Mustang GT.

Do the last 3 Creator "Modular" sets (Bike Shop and Cafe, Toy Shop, and Corner Deli) go well together like the real Modulars do? They all look like they are on 16x16 plates so I'm thinking you could get a street of 4 buildings going, or even more if you buy multiples of each set. Anyone done this?

Only real issue is that the modulars are on regular baseplates and the Creator "modulars" are on normal thickness plates, so they won't completely line up if you try and connect them.

I preordered from a seller on eBay. Got a full set for like $4 more than if I got all 16 with no repeats. I always mess up at least twice so I figured this was good, and it would stop my kids from pestering my wife everytime she went to the mall.

Whoops misread that. Didn't realize you wanted a whole box. I have had the opportunity (and passed) to buy a whole box of previous series at Target and TRU. YMMV.

boltz

I wasn't into the Speed Champions line but after watching reviews I think i'm going to have to pick up the Corvette and Mustang GT.

I really wanted to like those two and the Raptor, but the proportions just don't work for me. This is where a Technic version would absolutely kick ass, just like the Porsche that they are about release.

Bigfoot

Only real issue is that the modulars are on regular baseplates and the Creator "modulars" are on normal thickness plates, so they won't completely line up if you try and connect them.
Yeah I get that. I was more wondering how well the Bike Shop and Cafe goes with the Toy Shop and Corner Deli. I guess I'll just have to buy the other two and find out.

I agree. It's also nice that you can get Creator sets on sale compared to the modular (which I have never seen a sale on). I only wish I got into them a little earlier because there are some legit cool ones such as the Family House and Seaside House. But I can imagine that we'll similar sets down the road.

I never noticed the alternate build of the small house, which is awesome. Thanks for putting this set on my radar now :p

LEGOGAF is always ready to enable more LEGO purchases.

I've said it before and Ill say it again: While many themes have great years here and there, Creator is and will always be the GOAT lego theme. Fantastic small sets, and fantastic large sets (modulars are the best thing in all of lego in my opinion) And most importantly always super consistent, and improving. The 3-1 stuff encouraging imagination is just icing on the cake.

Star wars is a close second

Creator is a great theme that has a lot of reusable parts for other creations. It's a nice blend of the classic plain brick building and all the other elements.

What's not to love about the cars in Speed Champions (besides the heavy use of stickers)? They are minifig scale and would go nicely I think with a LEGO city. I'm not a car person which is probably better because I won't notice differences between the LEGO version and the real one that would annoy a car enthusiast. Despite not being a car person, I think the street cars are great. I'm sure a lot of the new car moulds will work their way into other LEGO themes, but right now those sets are the best ones for getting them.

Here's a shot of them in the open position:

BgyoHuQ.jpg

I'm not a fan of the Creator Toy and Grocery Shop set, but it does look good in that setup. Now we just need someone that converted all of those into modular versions and see how they look with regular modulars. Those Creator modular jr sets are definitely gateway sets to the modulars.

*NOT CURRENTLY FOR SALE YET*

seasonal easter set with chickensuit minifigure on toysrus.com

https://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=90236376

LOL. Comments from one of the LEGO blogs.

OhioBricker • 4 hours ago
So, the Chicken Suit Guy and a cardboard house for $5.99? This can't make anyone happy who invested in Chicken Suit Guys.

choanata -> OhioBricker • 4 hours ago
Let's be fair though, banking on Lego Chicken Suit Guys is kinda like putting all your eggs in one basket.​

Another good point was made that the bunny suit guy would be ideal for another future Easter set like the chicken one.

mojiimbo

What's not to love about the cars in Speed Champions (besides the heavy use of stickers)?
The designs can be pretty abstract compared to the cars they're supposed to be modeled after. The 911 an exception IMO, even without applying the stickers. JANG did a good job elaborating in his reviews of the first series.

(I'm personally still a fan of them, though. Looking to see how feasible it's going to be to color swap the Mustang.)

Hey everybody. I've got a big assignment in one of my classes where I have to write a paper about a company that has motives/goals other than maximizing profit. Basically, how does the company try to help society as a whole.

I decided to do mine on Lego, emphasizing how Lego works to help the development of children, gender equality in play, and minimizing environmental impact.

Does that sound about right to everybody here? Lots of you have more experience with Lego than I do, but I figure I'm hitting on the major points right there, unless somebody else has a different idea on what I could try and look at.

Osahi

7zyl15D.jpg

This looks so freaking cool. What is the release and price point? It might be my first (non Expert) creator set

After al the Creator love here I took a quick drive to the toy shop to maybe buy the hamburger joint. But i refrained from it, because i Am not sure where i would display it. Also: the price was higher then in the webshop of the same store (apparently every store of the chain sets its own prices, based on the competition of the surroundings, while the webshops bases its prices to other webshops), so I would have bought it online anyway. It saved me from an impulse buy actually, as driving home i decided not to order it.

I do have a building itch, so i should get something ...

What was the last Star Wars set from the OT? Was it the Sandcrawler? Anything on the horizon besides Echo Base?

Also, are The Simpsons sets and CMFs dead now?

Osahi

What was the last Star Wars set from the OT? Was it the Sandcrawler? Anything on the horizon besides Echo Base?

Some smaller sets just relarsed or are about to in the us. A hoth set, Droid escape pod and carbon freezing chamber

willp2003

Not including construction figures:
Carbon freezing chamber
Droid escape pod
Hoth attack
2015:
UCS slave 1
T16 sky hopper
UCS tie
Death Star final duel
Imperial shuttle

Sand crawler was 2014

Status