• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT5| DARKNESS! NO MONEY! (or Break the Rules! Mix the Bags!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everybody. I've got a big assignment in one of my classes where I have to write a paper about a company that has motives/goals other than maximizing profit. Basically, how does the company try to help society as a whole.

I decided to do mine on Lego, emphasizing how Lego works to help the development of children, gender equality in play, and minimizing environmental impact.

Does that sound about right to everybody here? Lots of you have more experience with Lego than I do, but I figure I'm hitting on the major points right there, unless somebody else has a different idea on what I could try and look at.

I think LEGO is a great choice especially considering how huge they are. The gender equality is debatable by some. :)

What was the last Star Wars set from the OT? Was it the Sandcrawler? Anything on the horizon besides Echo Base?

Also, are The Simpsons sets and CMFs dead now?

Nothing official about Simpsons, but based on the lack of anything for 2016 it highly suggests Simpsons is done.

CMFs are still strong and going with a Disney CMF line for this year as well.

dno_1966

I just had my mind blown somewhat, I'd dug out the old tumbler and found I'd lost some pieces (how does that always happen!?) so went on "Pick A Brick" but couldn't find many of them. Plus it was time-consuming and somewhat user-unfriendly. I was just about to give up when I stumbled upon "Bricks and Pieces", had never seen it before and I managed to get all the missing pieces I needed, bar one which was out of stock. I also found it much easier to use than pick a brick, with bigger/better pics etc. If, like me you've been missing out on this all your life you should definitely check it out.

While I was ordering the pieces I also picked up the Slave I, so double yay!

Ya, BNP is cool; I've found it to be both a time and money suck. Make sure if you save it in your cart, you reaccess it via the link in the BNP item in your cart only. If you try to access it via the regular link you'll lose the bricks you saved earlier. I lost my first order attempt that way.

They missed 2 1x2 bricks from my last order and are sending replacements. I feel bad that they're shipping just 2 bricks; wish I could just have them add them to my next order.

ghostmind

Hey everybody. I've got a big assignment in one of my classes where I have to write a paper about a company that has motives/goals other than maximizing profit. Basically, how does the company try to help society as a whole.

I decided to do mine on Lego, emphasizing how Lego works to help the development of children, gender equality in play, and minimizing environmental impact.

Does that sound about right to everybody here? Lots of you have more experience with Lego than I do, but I figure I'm hitting on the major points right there, unless somebody else has a different idea on what I could try and look at.

You will probably want to cover LEGO's heavy investment into renewable energy, and the goal of being on 100% renewable by 2020.
http://www.lego.com/en-us/aboutus/news-room/2015/february/investment-in-offshore-wind-farm-lands-first-power

ghostmind

The stages of Ant-man/Giant-Man:

3s8Rugd.jpg

So very cool.

It's worth noticing that everything on Giant-Man is a sticker, save for the printed face.

EKF2YBk.jpg

These pics are from j2g's review of the Airport Battle set: https://youtu.be/Gra8kVhDC20

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
Need to see how he looks without stickers.

With recent sets ive been a bit selective about the ones I put on and the ones I leave off, might be the same here.

There was an interview with the CEO of Lego on Youtube on his goals. Also check Secret World of Lego, I think it could be useful.

Edit: Jang reviewed the Friends set Livi's Pop Star House. Looks pretty damn good. A bit too much pink as usual, but with a few substitutions you'll get a nice, Creator style fancy house.

I don't think I ever saw this on shelves and it's one of the few Ultra Agents sets I need to complete the line. If anyone can locate one I'd be happy to trade or PayPal some funds.

I don't think I ever saw this on shelves and it's one of the few Ultra Agents sets I need to complete the line. If anyone can locate one I'd be happy to trade or PayPal some funds.

Wow, I had never seen that one either.

Best bet is check local TRU as they were the only ones that seemed to carry that last wave of Ultra Agents. They are sold out online.

Looks like that set will set you back $40 with shipping included on eBay.

Looks like a few sellers on Amazon for under $30 and many are prime.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ZGOH1NE/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Set was $19.99 MSRP.

mrkgoo

Unless you bought one of the first sets, you probably already have the fix in the box. They replaced the neck with a ball joint for posability, if I'm not mistaken.

If you have an old version, I'm pretty sure you can simply send a message to their customer service, without creating an account...

Sweet, thanks. I gave them a call and supposedly a parts bag is going to be sent to me!

Good service.

8bit

Knows the Score

There were a couple of documentaries on UK Channel 4 about the company, Secret World of Lego & Lego at Christmas that might give you some material. Might have them somewhere if you cant find them or don't have access to that channel.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Saw a couple new Ninjago sets at B&N today! It got me very excited.

I'm not a fan of the Creator Toy and Grocery Shop set, but it does look good in that setup. Now we just need someone that converted all of those into modular versions and see how they look with regular modulars. Those Creator modular jr sets are definitely gateway sets to the modulars.

Now you have me wanting to try to make the creator buildings modular compatible...
The modular setup might benefit from being broken up a bit by some smaller buildings.
Although thinking about it a bit more, I think the stories on the creator buildings are shorter than the stories on the modular buildings, so it'd take quite a bit of work to make them modular compatible.

Saw a couple new Ninjago sets at B&N today! It got me very excited.

Now you have me wanting to try to make the creator buildings modular compatible...
The modular setup might benefit from being broken up a bit by some smaller buildings.
Although thinking about it a bit more, I think the stories on the creator buildings are shorter than the stories on the modular buildings, so it'd take quite a bit of work to make them modular compatible.

You need to buy 2x or more of each set to beef them up to modular level. It's just like people that take 2x or more of modulars and make them antnormous.

ghostmind

Well, I received my order from Bricks & Pieces today, but it looks like LEGO forgot a couple pieces!

So much for being hand-picked.

They responded to me quickly via email to say they'd put in the missing pieces.

To be fair to the brick hand pickers, I accidentally ordered one 1x2 brick last week when I meant to order 20, so I ordered 19 this time. They gave me 18 of 19 and then 9 of 10 on another color of the same 1x2 groove brick. I'd go crazy hand picking bricks for small custom orders.

ghostmind

They responded to me quickly via email to say they'd put in the missing pieces.

To be fair to the brick hand pickers, I accidentally ordered one 1x2 brick last week when I meant to order 20, so I ordered 19 this time. They gave me 18 of 19 and then 9 of 10 on another color of the same 1x2 groove brick. I'd go crazy hand picking bricks for small custom orders.

Glad to hear - I'll call them tomorrow. One of the pieces they missed was a shark body, the only one of those I ordered, so it's not like it was a small part.

Wanderer5

Oh nice price that must have price indeed. I gladly took the $32 via the target sale that was posted here.

It truly a wonderful set, and now that Vader TIE vs A-Wings set irks me including it high price, I even more glad that I got the Prototype for some TIE advanced goodness.

Lots of good sales on LEGO S@H. I'm not sure if they all overlap with what's on sale at the LEGO retail store as wordassassin mentioned.

Annoying thing is many of the sale items don't show up on the Sales and Deals page. Even the list view of sets the sale price doesn't show. You have to click and view the page entry for the set to see sale price.

I need to see if they have this same sale at the store. After missing out on Sonic Boom, I don't want to miss this one. I can't order more LEGO stuff coming to the door. Happy wife, happy life.

Blue Power Jet
Price $69.99
Sale Price $55.98

What's also interesting is that the Toy Shop is still being sold. I recall seeing that or the Santa one still on the shelves at LEGO store. It's interesting because the past couple years they pulled those off the shelves after the holidays. Years prior to that, they would discount what's in store then not get them until next season. I wonder if their warehouses are full and need space. :)

Just finished this little build. Totally love it.

For such a tiny build, it took me way longer than I thought it would. It was something between 1 and 2 hours of (slow, relaxed-pace) building time. Just a surprisingly really fun and rad build.

I didn't like that variation but loved the main build of the sandwich shop. Look forward to more creator sets that are almost "mini-modulars"

iosefe

I need to see if they have this same sale at the store. After missing out on Sonic Boom, I don't want to miss this one. I can't order more LEGO stuff coming to the door. Happy wife, happy life.

Blue Power Jet
Price $69.99
Sale Price $55.98
On sale in store here.

Such a great set

boltz

Lots of good sales on LEGO S@H. I'm not sure if they all overlap with what's on sale at the LEGO retail store as wordassassin mentioned.

Annoying thing is many of the sale items don't show up on the Sales and Deals page. Even the list view of sets the sale price doesn't show. You have to click and view the page entry for the set to see sale price.

Blue Power Jet
Price $69.99
Sale Price $55.98

That F-35 version is all kinds of awesome - the exterior is nearly the same, but the color change makes all the difference. And it even has the equipment for VTOL.

Anyone remember that one tree/pillar in Ewok Village where you have this spider web that you can move about? Well i am currently at that step and according to instructions you should be able to swipe/move it. Thing is, i am certain i didn't make a mistake and yet i CAN'T swipe it across the bottom piece since it gets stuck. Looks like another plate is needed in height hmmm... Anyone got that problem back then?

edit: nevermind, figured it out after all, i DID make a mistake, i put the web the wrong way around LOL ugh

Koren

That F-35 version is all kinds of awesome - the exterior is nearly the same, but the color change makes all the difference. And it even has the equipment for VTOL.
Yes, I agree. I'm not that interested in the blue jet, but I would buy the F-35 ASAP. Great job.

Rootbeer

Banned
People aren't messing around in these Olaf Easter polybags.

Local target cleared out already. Found only 3 of the fireman polys too.

Ponn

Banned
Is it Target or TRU thats going to carry that Spider-man symbiote polybag? God I wish S@H would sell polybags.

edit: Just got my AWD Rhino and Sandman set so i'm safe for those figs *throws it on huge backlog pile in corner* I'm seriously having internal conflicts on how I continue with Lego. I look at this pile, and I look at my to get list to throw on this pile and this just doesn't make sense to me.

Anyone remember that one tree/pillar in Ewok Village where you have this spider web that you can move about? Well i am currently at that step and according to instructions you should be able to swipe/move it. Thing is, i am certain i didn't make a mistake and yet i CAN'T swipe it across the bottom piece since it gets stuck. Looks like another plate is needed in height hmmm... Anyone got that problem back then?

edit: nevermind, figured it out after all, i DID make a mistake, i put the web the wrong way around LOL ugh

This has happened to me more than I'd like. Something in a set isn't working right or doesn't look right and I swear I built everything properly up to that point. I then end up swallowing my pride (and cursing) when I find out I screwed something up several steps back. Lol. It's probably because I'm usually watching a movie and building at the same time. So relaxing yet frustrating at times. But we love it!

Rootbeer

Banned
Is it Target or TRU thats going to carry that Spider-man symbiote polybag? God I wish S@H would sell polybags.

edit: Just got my AWD Rhino and Sandman set so i'm safe for those figs *throws it on huge backlog pile in corner* I'm seriously having internal conflicts on how I continue with Lego. I look at this pile, and I look at my to get list to throw on this pile and this just doesn't make sense to me.

I now have over 1000 sets and almost 2000 minifigures, I'm starting to get my fill. Hefty backlog as well, believe you me.

For a lot of sets, i wish I could just buy the minifigures only. Sadly it's not very economical to do so in a lot of cases, but I may have to start doing it more often in the future because I already have more bricks than I know what to do with!

It's a good thing for now. Maybe not so much a couple hundred more sets down the line.

JANG donates tons of bricks to charity. Though his pace is way higher than mine. But it's easy to see how he is able to do it so often.

mreddie

I don't like you right now. I have checked everywhere in town each day trying to find it, but to no luck. I only got lucky once or twice with early releases here, and that was with the Age of Ultron stuff last year.

I chose the 2nd closest Wal Mart, all the CW sets are there already.

Koren

For a lot of sets, i wish I could just buy the minifigures only. Sadly it's not very economical to do so in a lot of cases, but I may have to start doing it more often in the future because I already have more bricks than I know what to do with!
I'm pretty sure you could sell the sets without the minifigures with a reasonable discount.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom