• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT5| DARKNESS! NO MONEY! (or Break the Rules! Mix the Bags!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

neonglow

Why are the lackluster Lego City sets so expensive? If the builds were at least on Friends line Level I would understand some of this!

They are the best selling LEGO theme and it seems lots are bought by parents and grandparents as gifts. As a gift giver, you don't really take price to piece ratio into consideration because it is usually a one time purchase.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I know some folks don't like the shade of blue for the Luggabeast, but I love this set.

Luggabeast looks good, but the super cheap building corner just to up the piece count and price looks like a super cheap building corner just to up the piece count and price.

Had high hopes for the gas station but that price...MEH. Will wait for sales on it, I want it, just not 90 dollars want it. And then Friends makes a mockery of the City set prices, they want my money there obviously!

Just built the Lego City Spaceport. The shuttle itself was the only part of the build that approached anything near "fun" but it looks nice as hell displayed at the top of my shelf, which is why I bought it in the first place. I have an old old ollldd Lego shuttle but it's missing some parts and pales in size compared to this one. Glad Lego gave me a parting wish and discounted it before I left.

If you can grab it on discount, I'd say go for it. But it's not worth the normal price by any stretch of the imagination.

Ponn

Banned
New sets are finally showing up around here. Great to see so many low priced SW sets this time.

Lots of sets coming out in March but i'm thinking of getting Batcave and this Bat Cycle set here. I'm really liking that set, its $20, the cycles are nice builds and the figs are great.

Maengun1

I had a feeling the City Park was going to be $40, but I was hoping for $30. Yeah, a measly 157 pieces but 15 minifigs is 15 minifigs, plus they know people are already going crazy for the baby and the wheelchair.

I see City stuff on sale all the time, I'll probably be able to get it for $30 after a short wait.

Minecraft

21127 The Fortress; 984 pcs; $109.99/$139.99 (September)
21128 The Village; ???? pcs; $199.99/$229.99 ("Summer")

I never did end up getting any Minecraft sets but I'm kind of interested about these, particularly The Village. Curious about just what a $200 Minecraft set will look like.

Maybe I should grab The First Night and The Farm on double VIP day next month along with Detective's Office which I need to get, hmm. I don't play Minecraft anymore but it's oddly nostalgic to me.

...Doesn't hurt that I'm getting a small raise that should kick in next month! <_<

Tom_Cody

Star Wars (June)

75145 Eclipse Fighter; 363 pcs; $29.99/$39.99
75146 Star Wars Advent Calendar; 282 pcs; $39.99/$49.99 (September)
75147 StarScavenger; 558 pcs; $49.99/$59.99
75148 Encounter on Jakku; 530 pcs; $59.99/$74.99
75149 Resistance X-Wing Fighter; 740 pcs; $79.99/$99.99
75150 Vader's TIE Advanced vs A-Wing Starfighter; 702 pcs; $89.99/$119.99
75151 Clone Turbo Tank; 903 pcs; $109.99/$139.99
75157 Captain Rex's AT-TE; 972 pcs; $119.99/$149.99
Will we be getting any additional Episode 7 sets this year? I don't want to have to wait for Episode 8 to get old Luke.

Wanderer5

Star Wars (June)

75145 Eclipse Fighter; 363 pcs; $29.99/$39.99
75146 Star Wars Advent Calendar; 282 pcs; $39.99/$49.99 (September)
75147 StarScavenger; 558 pcs; $49.99/$59.99
75148 Encounter on Jakku; 530 pcs; $59.99/$74.99
75149 Resistance X-Wing Fighter; 740 pcs; $79.99/$99.99
75150 Vader's TIE Advanced vs A-Wing Starfighter; 702 pcs; $89.99/$119.99
75151 Clone Turbo Tank; 903 pcs; $109.99/$139.99
75157 Captain Rex's AT-TE; 972 pcs; $119.99/$149.99

Good price for the Eclipse Fighter. Kind of tempting, but since I would plan to wait out till later on, I keep a eye on how the Rogue One sets are going to turn out.

Just built the Lego City Spaceport. The shuttle itself was the only part of the build that approached anything near "fun" but it looks nice as hell displayed at the top of my shelf, which is why I bought it in the first place. I have an old old ollldd Lego shuttle but it's missing some parts and pales in size compared to this one. Glad Lego gave me a parting wish and discounted it before I left.

If you can grab it on discount, I'd say go for it. But it's not worth the normal price by any stretch of the imagination.

No longer an insider with big discount?

SSS = Spaceship Spaceship Spaceship, not a Super Star... Sestroyer? I would have jumped on that like crazy though, even though I have nowhere to place it.

Oops, guess it was wishful reading...

Those City airport set prices... Auch. Guess that we now have a City Tax as well...

Osahi

Somebody made a rolling BB-8. Its up on Lego ideas and it looks great. The body is a planet from the minifighter series they had once. Really inventive.

No chance it gets released as an idea though, as i don't see Star Wars sets ever be accepted in the program, but I would love if Lego made it happen anyway.

nny

Somebody made a rolling BB-8. Its up on Lego ideas and it looks great. The body is a planet from the minifighter series they had once. Really inventive.

No chance it gets released as an idea though, as i don't see Star Wars sets ever be accepted in the program, but I would love if Lego made it happen anyway.

Amazing!

Tom_Cody

Force Friday is when they're release IIRC.
You mean in September, right? Oh well, at least I'll have something to look forward to.

I'm hoping old Luke is the May 4th exclusive, but I don't have any info on that yet.
That would be a happy surprise.

On this topic, can someone explain to me what the VIP system is and how it works? I tried to google this a bit and it looks like I need to get a physical card from a Lego store, is that correct?

Tom_Cody

The Lego community is the best. That BB-8 is amazing.

That would be a happy surprise.

On this topic, can someone explain to me what the VIP system is and how it works? I tried to google this a bit and it looks like I need to get a physical card from a Lego store, is that correct?

They usually use the May 4th opportunity to highlight obscure characters or variants in fig form. I'd be surprised if it was Old Luke.

VIP program is just a loyalty system when you buy at a LEGO store or on S@H (Shop @ Home, the web site). Every $100 gives you $5 in credit (it expires after two years) so if you buy a lot of LEGO and cash in your discount it'll act like a 5% credit.

Heading to the Rochester Lego Store tomorrow. I'm going to try to limit myself to a single pick a brick cup to get the free parrot, but of course I called and learned they have damaged box TIE and Quik E Mart.

ghostmind

The upcoming Halloween seasonal set:

05DYJGk.jpg

via LCC Builders, who love their watermarks...

Tom_Cody

They usually use the May 4th opportunity to highlight obscure characters or variants in fig form. I'd be surprised if it was Old Luke.

VIP program is just a loyalty system when you buy at a LEGO store or on S@H (Shop @ Home, the web site). Every $100 gives you $5 in credit (it expires after two years) so if you buy a lot of LEGO and cash in your discount it'll act like a 5% credit.
Thanks.

It looks like I'm now signed up on the official Lego shop, though the Batman set is not showing as being available to me.

Vampire guy looks cool, but those fangs look like they are coming out of his nose. I'll be passing on him because I think I can build him with the parts I have.

Ponn

Banned
I finally broke down and ordered a couple Atlantis sets. I have an idea for halloween this year and instead of waiting and getting depressed I can't finish the scene i'm going to start really early and do a little at a time.

Does anyone have any tips for moving multiple large built sets? Moved about 40 minutes away, and I'm hoping to not have to disassemble much, if any. Mostly modulars, tower bridge, black pearl, then various smaller sets. I've brought one modular so far, but I was sitting in the passenger seat with it by my feet while my husband drove. I was hoping to be able to bring more by myself but I'm afraid they will fall apart in transit.

I finally broke down and ordered a couple Atlantis sets. I have an idea for halloween this year and instead of waiting and getting depressed I can't finish the scene i'm going to start really early and do a little at a time.

Hope you got the City of Atlantis... Seems like the best of the bunch to me...

Besides: It reminds me of Atlantis in the Dimensions DC world underwater section, thought that was pretty neat there ;)

Does anyone have any tips for moving multiple large built sets? Moved about 40 minutes away, and I'm hoping to not have to disassemble much, if any. Mostly modulars, tower bridge, black pearl, then various smaller sets. I've brought one modular so far, but I was sitting in the passenger seat with it by my feet while my husband drove. I was hoping to be able to bring more by myself but I'm afraid they will fall apart in transit.

Banana boxes with something to fill in the gaps.

Wrap each floor of the modular in a garbage bag and tie it, then carefully lay them in a box with packing material like bubbles or airpacs to fill the gaps. I packed my modulars this way with minimal damage after a 1000 mile move. Any pieces that break off will be in the bags.

Ponn

Banned
Hope you got the City of Atlantis... Seems like the best of the bunch to me...

Besides: It reminds me of Atlantis in the Dimensions DC world underwater section, thought that was pretty neat there ;)

I needed some very specific pieces and not a scene. I got the Gateway of the Squid set and Guardian of the Deep. I didn't really need the giant shark set but it was a good price and I like sharks.

Is the advent calender always $40? It's £25 here usually. Trying to work ouT what some of the sets will translate to.

Definitely want the luggabeast and ghostrider

Also can anyone recommend a set in any theme with similar building techniques to silver mine shootout; loved building that and fancy something similar

No longer an insider with big discount?
Ssssort of, this coming weekend is my last weekend there but I've had just about every coworker offer to buy me stuff with their discount if I want, and my boss said I was welcome to work during holidays if I wanted too. I'm still gonna be in there at least once or twice a month depending on releases and money so I'll still hear all kinds of secrets and stuff too. :3

valkyre

Still a work in progress but this is my take on the Battle of Takodana. Inspired by the Lego set as well as other ideas and pictures from the movie I begun building a MOC.

The idea is to make it modular adding pieces one at a time using technic bricks to put the pieces together.

So far I have build the outer courtyard (using 3 official sets of Battle on Takodana) and the main building which I intend to include the interior cantina in the future. I will also build 2 other sections of the main building.

Still a lot of work to do, but here is my work so far:

Untitled by Valkyre1, on Flickr

This part is designed for the entrance to be perfectly alligned with the outer courtyard door.

It will eventually lead to the interior which i plan to build in the future.

Here is the back side (were the Cantina will be placed):

Here is the entire set put together so far:

Would love to hear comments/opinions and ideas. ;)

Calcium

Banned

That's really cool. I think having magnets is reason enough to think it won't be accepted. You can't release a toy with small magnets.

Still a work in progress but this is my take on the Battle of Takodana. Inspired by the Lego set as well as other ideas and pictures from the movie I begun building a MOC.

This is terrific, and totally original. I love that you did it as an accessory for the official set. It looks great!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom