• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT5| DARKNESS! NO MONEY! (or Break the Rules! Mix the Bags!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it Target or TRU thats going to carry that Spider-man symbiote polybag? God I wish S@H would sell polybags.

edit: Just got my AWD Rhino and Sandman set so i'm safe for those figs *throws it on huge backlog pile in corner* I'm seriously having internal conflicts on how I continue with Lego. I look at this pile, and I look at my to get list to throw on this pile and this just doesn't make sense to me.

I now have over 1000 sets and almost 2000 minifigures, I'm starting to get my fill. Hefty backlog as well, believe you me.

For a lot of sets, i wish I could just buy the minifigures only. Sadly it's not very economical to do so in a lot of cases, but I may have to start doing it more often in the future because I already have more bricks than I know what to do with!

It's a good thing for now. Maybe not so much a couple hundred more sets down the line.

JANG donates tons of bricks to charity. Though his pace is way higher than mine. But it's easy to see how he is able to do it so often.

I'm in the same boat as you guys give or take a few hundred sets. LEGO will never stop until they go bankrupt and disappear so I can't keep just buying a lot.

Here's what I've been doing to deal with my excesses:
- Selling. I've opened a Bricklink store over a year ago to unload all the duplicate minifigs I don't need as I've bought multiple of the same set for parts and/or the set was on ridiculous clearance/sale price of 50% or more off.
- Bricklinking, BaP, and PaB for parts instead of sets for certain parts.
- I'm hoping to sell more parts that I don't need, but my packrat nature tells me I may need those 1000 flick fire missiles someday especially when they have little resell value.
- I spend too much time sorting all the "parts" sets I've bought because I buy way too much. I haven't built much in weeks due to sorting. I can get really OCD sometime when sorting too which takes even more time. Bricklink store doesn't take much time except for the uploading and pricing portion.
- Seriously considering paying the high aftermarket prices on minifigs on expensive sets where I really only care about the minifigs and not the set. I know a lot of people on here do that. It does make sense if avoiding an overload of parts you don't need. I was all about getting sets for parts or for minifigs and the parts were a bonus, but I have an abundance of LEGO elements now so the need is mostly gone.

Seriously trying to figure out what to do as LEGO puts out more stuff I want. I don't plan on just giving up the hobby as I really enjoy it. I think there is too much gluttony on my part being an adult and having the financial means.

24596863843_7fe83176d3_z.jpg
LEGO Buccaneer Batman by Allen Tran, on Flickr
Meh. I will pass on Buccaneer Batman if he looks like this.
Not really, I'll still want it because of my OCD collector nature.
Not definite that will be how the actual minifig is, but it's a possibility that's how it will be. Image from the Justice League: Cosmic Clash DVD/BluRay.

TheFuzz

Meh. I will pass on Buccaneer Batman if he looks like this.
Not really, I'll still want it because of my OCD collector nature.
Not definite that will be how the actual minifig is, but it's possible. Image from the Justice League: Cosmic Clash DVD/BluRay.

Is this going to be exclusive to that movie? I haven't heard of this yet but definitely want.

Gazunta

Over the weekend I got a big box of old LEGO parts - mostly from Royal Knights Castle and (I think) Skull's Eye Schooner and...good grief, these things are dusty. They are caked in dust. I've seen less dust in a retailer's Wii U section.

I tried soaking them in water (there's no stickers applied) which got rid of maybe 50% of it but yiiiiikes they still looked grotty. Besides getting out an old toothbrush and scrubbing each and every block (as much fun as that sounds) - is there a quick and easy way to spruce these things back up to normal?

Over the weekend I got a big box of old LEGO parts - mostly from Royal Knights Castle and (I think) Skull's Eye Schooner and...good grief, these things are dusty. They are caked in dust. I've seen less dust in a retailer's Wii U section.

I tried soaking them in water (there's no stickers applied) which got rid of maybe 50% of it but yiiiiikes they still looked grotty. Besides getting out an old toothbrush and scrubbing each and every block (as much fun as that sounds) - is there a quick and easy way to spruce these things back up to normal?

Can't help you with cleaning advice but wanted to chime in to say how super jealous I am that you have the Skull's Eye Schooner. That was my favourite set I owned as a kid.

Ponn

Banned
I now have over 1000 sets and almost 2000 minifigures, I'm starting to get my fill. Hefty backlog as well, believe you me.

For a lot of sets, i wish I could just buy the minifigures only. Sadly it's not very economical to do so in a lot of cases, but I may have to start doing it more often in the future because I already have more bricks than I know what to do with!

It's a good thing for now. Maybe not so much a couple hundred more sets down the line.

JANG donates tons of bricks to charity. Though his pace is way higher than mine. But it's easy to see how he is able to do it so often.

I'm in the same boat as you guys give or take a few hundred sets. LEGO will never stop until they go bankrupt and disappear so I can't keep just buying a lot.

Here's what I've been doing to deal with my excesses:
- Selling. I've opened a Bricklink store over a year ago to unload all the duplicate minifigs I don't need as I've bought multiple of the same set for parts and/or the set was on ridiculous clearance/sale price of 50% or more off.
- Bricklinking, BaP, and PaB for parts instead of sets for certain parts.
- I'm hoping to sell more parts that I don't need, but my packrat nature tells me I may need those 1000 flick fire missiles someday especially when they have little resell value.
- I spend too much time sorting all the "parts" sets I've bought because I buy way too much. I haven't built much in weeks due to sorting. I can get really OCD sometime when sorting too which takes even more time. Bricklink store doesn't take much time except for the uploading and pricing portion.
- Seriously considering paying the high aftermarket prices on minifigs on expensive sets where I really only care about the minifigs and not the set. I know a lot of people on here do that. It does make sense if avoiding an overload of parts you don't need. I was all about getting sets for parts or for minifigs and the parts were a bonus, but I have an abundance of LEGO elements now so the need is mostly gone.

Seriously trying to figure out what to do as LEGO puts out more stuff I want. I don't plan on just giving up the hobby as I really enjoy it. I think there is too much gluttony on my part being an adult and having the financial means.

Nice to know i'm not alone in the boat. I've considered buying figs ala carte but especially with the super hero sets where there is usually more than one fig I want in the set it becomes just as easy to buy the set or wait for a deal on it or AWD. I've thought about selling the set without the figs but I don't want to go through the hassle of selling, shipping and then dealing with lost packages or something missing. Plus its nice to have the complete set IF I decide to sell it later and if they rise in value. I've had several sets now where I just dig the figs out of the bags and seal the bags and tape the box up and store them. It seems like a waste to me but I don't have the room to display sets. The most realistic answer I guess is to be more selective about the sets I get. Nexo Knights is interesting and I already have infernox and kings mech but I just need to say no to the rest. The Super Hero sets are just going to be the worst with the figs and if they keep hitting it out of the park with the selection of figs.

Try filling the sink/tub with warm water and dawn dish soap, put the pieces in a pillowcase and work them around with your hands. That worked with mine.

Nexo Knights is interesting and I already have infernox and kings mech but I just need to say no to the rest.
I'm with you except Jestro's Evil Mobile. You should say yes to that. Infernox connects to it. This guy is great too.

And you get Necronomicon, Book of the Dead, pages bound in human flesh.

I added the crossbow from the King's Mech to it for some extra death dealing.

Also Ultimate Lavaria is worth it just for this.

Ponn

Banned
I'm with you except Jestro's Evil Mobile. You should say yes to that. Infernox connects to it. This guy is great too.

And you get Necronomicon, Book of the Dead, pages bound in human flesh.

I added the crossbow from the King's Mech to it for some extra death dealing.

Just greasing that slippery slope right up. Boy that sounds bad, time for bed.

And I actually have an Ultimate Lavaria, the villains look so cool in that line. I don't have a Darth Maul though.

Terrific! I don't mind buying the books but I hate buying the DVDs to get the figs. I waited a minute on the one with Trickster and now it isn't anywhere to be found.

You're in Canada right? Amazon Canada carries them.
I'm still on the fence if I'm going to buy the movie for the minifig. I do enjoy the movies and watch them with my kids, but pretty much once then done forever. I may just get the DVD with minfig as it's about $5 cheaper.

http://www.amazon.ca/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=lego+legion+of+doom

You need to soak them overnight or longer. Put a little dish washing soap.
Cleaning LEGO was one of the first things I researched when I got back in LEGO to clean my childhood LEGO. I don't recommend putting them in a washing machine. Wetwired tried that and it ends up scratching the elements more. Warm water may help, but don't use hot water.

Unfortunately, if it's caked on in the little crevices like the LEGO lettering you will have to use an old brush. It should come off easily though. If it's really caked on, agitating them with your hands once in awhile while soaking may help.

You can see and feel the difference. The clutch was much snappier.

http://thebrickblogger.com/2010/12/cleaning-dirty-lego/
http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=87962

Nice to know i'm not alone in the boat. I've considered buying figs ala carte but especially with the super hero sets where there is usually more than one fig I want in the set it becomes just as easy to buy the set or wait for a deal on it or AWD. I've thought about selling the set without the figs but I don't want to go through the hassle of selling, shipping and then dealing with lost packages or something missing. Plus its nice to have the complete set IF I decide to sell it later and if they rise in value. I've had several sets now where I just dig the figs out of the bags and seal the bags and tape the box up and store them. It seems like a waste to me but I don't have the room to display sets. The most realistic answer I guess is to be more selective about the sets I get. Nexo Knights is interesting and I already have infernox and kings mech but I just need to say no to the rest. The Super Hero sets are just going to be the worst with the figs and if they keep hitting it out of the park with the selection of figs.

I assume you are a comic fanboy like myself. You do realize there are hundreds of possible super heroes, villains, supporting characters plus their multitude of variations.
If they did the Legion of Super-Heroes and their variations alone, I'd go broke.

unX6pYn.jpg

Someone has a boyfriend now. I really like the Nexo Knights villains. Most of them are very generic and look great. You could easily make Lavaria a Sith Lordette.

I went to a bunch of stores in Stockholm last night and they had all the new March stuff. I got the Elves inn, and it's GREAT. It's the fantasy equivalent of those Creator buildings, with a ton of detail for a reasonable price. Also lots of new pieces: new printed compass, tan 2x2 donut tiles, new printed 2x2 windows, a pink genie lamp, some of the 1x1 wood texture tiles, and of course the baby dragon and the new egg. Also, a new map tile, and even the print on Azari is new (including face). Sira uses old parts but has a brand new deco too.

mrkgoo

I don't think I ever saw this on shelves and it's one of the few Ultra Agents sets I need to complete the line. If anyone can locate one I'd be happy to trade or PayPal some funds.

Wow, I had never seen that one either.

Best bet is check local TRU as they were the only ones that seemed to carry that last wave of Ultra Agents. They are sold out online.

Looks like that set will set you back $40 with shipping included on eBay.

Looks like a few sellers on Amazon for under $30 and many are prime.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ZGOH1NE/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Set was $19.99 MSRP.

I saw these posts, and followed the link and thought that was the coolest looking set (i really like some of the UltraAgents sets). I built it up in LDD then tried my own MOC (from my small set of resources, which basically amounts to sets that I have that I didn't really like that are dismantled - black and purple Ninjaog dragon set, the Rhino Truck Chima set, and the cat and mouse creator set. I stole the canopy from a galaxy Squad set):

24862106549_9bd8279f24_c.jpg

25111654612_4b8aaa61dc_c.jpg

Exciting and a little frustrating: the local toy shop has a sale tomorrow. Last year this sale netted me the old X-Wing, the Turtle van, two Elrond councils and the Hulk breakout for about 40-60% off. The year before that I got Helm's Deep with the expansion and the Lex mech for rather good prices too. But I won't be able to get away from work until two hours after they start. Hopefully quick enough to dodge the masses.

I don't know what they will have discounts for, but here's what I know they have in stock that would be interesting at sale prices:

Simpsons House
Kwik-E-Mart
Winter Village Market
WV Santa house
Sea Cow
Bike Shop & Cafe
The Lonely Mountain
Mini Cooper
Skyra's castle
Palace Cinema

I need to figure out some priority list so I know what to grab first if I see it...

Koren

I'd say Sea Cow is already worth it at full price now, given it's discontinued, but with a rebate, it could be a really good pick...

Fowler

I've switched to buying a lot of figs on their own. There's a mall full of LEGO shops here that sell minifigs on their own. It's pricey, but frankly, I have limited display space and as we've all noted, there are so many sets which are only worth it for the minifigs.

(The other benefit to this mall is that it works both ways -- they also sell sets without the figs, which is a GREAT thing if you want to expand a set by buying a second one but don't need a whole new set of minifigs with it. Stark Tower is a good example of this!)

Not sure if it's of any interest to anyone but the first issue of the Nexo Knights Magazine is out today in th UK.

£3.25 and you get a pretty nice exclusive Lance minifigure in this edition, nothing amazing but one with hair instead of his helmet; the next one doesn't come with a minifig but instead a version of his hover horse.

Ponn

Banned
I assume you are a comic fanboy like myself. You do realize there are hundreds of possible super heroes, villains, supporting characters plus their multitude of variations.
If they did the Legion of Super-Heroes and their variations alone, I'd go broke.

EXACTLY! I'm almost better off becoming a drug addict, save money. It's the biggest culprit of having sets I don't care for lying around just for figs. I really, REALLY wish Lego would just start doing CMF lines of DC and Marvel figs.

I've switched to buying a lot of figs on their own. There's a mall full of LEGO shops here that sell minifigs on their own. It's pricey, but frankly, I have limited display space and as we've all noted, there are so many sets which are only worth it for the minifigs.

(The other benefit to this mall is that it works both ways -- they also sell sets without the figs, which is a GREAT thing if you want to expand a set by buying a second one but don't need a whole new set of minifigs with it. Stark Tower is a good example of this!)

Yea and its hard for me to buy the figs on their own when i'm looking at the price and saying "It's practically the same price, just get the set" Its hard to argue with myself sometimes. I might take advantage of trying to pick up the Spider-Man bridge set sans figs though to make a more complete scene with two of the builds.

What's the economical way to get figs? Buy a full set, grab the figs, n then sell the set parts?

That dosbt sound best but wondering what's best as bricklinking them dosnt always seem cheap.

Rootbeer

Banned
still can't find the battlefront battle packs. Even though some retailers like kmart.com have started selling the new sets weeks early, those battle packs and the new Elves Dragons line have so far been elusive.

Not sure if it's of any interest to anyone but the first issue of the Nexo Knights Magazine is out today in th UK.

£3.25 and you get a pretty nice exclusive Lance minifigure in this edition, nothing amazing but one with hair instead of his helmet; the next one doesn't come with a minifig but instead a version of his hover horse.

I saw this. I hope we get the rest eventually, I like Macy's hair.

Coming May 3rd:

VcTnb8L.jpg

I'm not sure what makes this an exclusive. It looks like the same one that was in at least a couple sets.

Yeah i was gonna say that, he looks EXACTLY the same.

Also: I wonder what kind of animation style that movie uses? Hopefully the one from Mystery Inc and not the new one from that awful looking show

Oh, and when is double VIP again in March?

Rootbeer

Banned
Hopefully that minifig is just a placeholder. If it's an exclusive print, I might be game. otherwise, i'm not biting. I might catch it when it's streaming or something.

Still, cool that they are doing a LEGO Scooby blu-ray.

Coming May 3rd:

VcTnb8L.jpg

I'm not sure what makes this an exclusive. It looks like the same one that was in at least a couple sets.
The wording doesn't necessarily mean it's an exclusive figure. It could just mean that the inclusion of a figure is a feature exclusive to the limited edition version of the Blu-ray.

Yeah i was gonna say that, he looks EXACTLY the same.

Also: I wonder what kind of animation style that movie uses? Hopefully the one from Mystery Inc and not the new one from that awful looking show

Oh, and when is double VIP again in March?

It's CGI like all of Lego's movies, and the characters are based off the Lego Minifigs so they'll look like the classic/Mystery Inc versions. Thank God.

iosefe

Built the Ninjago Sky Shark today. Very nice jet build. Perfectly pirate with a hint of sky. The action feature to drop the payload is good.

For $20, this set is gonna sell really well

You're in Canada right? Amazon Canada carries them.
I'm still on the fence if I'm going to buy the movie for the minifig. I do enjoy the movies and watch them with my kids, but pretty much once then done forever. I may just get the DVD with minfig as it's about $5 cheaper.

http://www.amazon.ca/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=lego+legion+of+doom

Thanks! $15 really isn't too bad with Prime. I haven't watched the last couple of DVDs we've got for the figs.

It's CGI like all of Lego's movies, and the characters are based off the Lego Minifigs so they'll look like the classic/Mystery Inc versions. Thank God.

I wasn't keen on the art style in the latest cartoon incarnation when I saw the designs, but I found the 2 episodes I watched entertaining. My kids were laughing.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
I'm still smitten with those Creator mini-modulars. The Bike Shop & Cafe set in particular. I just finished the 2 variant builds (haven't even started the main build yet) and they've both been absolutely excellent. Just so much building in a single set. Brilliant brilliant brilliant set.

DemiMatt

I went to the Lego store over the weekend in hopes to buying the Ghostbusters HQ. I made sure to watch the Jang Bricks review before and after seeing it in person we decided to pass on it.

We passed due to Jang's review on the flimsy nature of the walls, and after seeing it in person it definitely showed even more. We then drew our attention to the 1966 Batcave display and were left in amazement!

My girlfriend grabbed the box without hesitation and bought it as a vday gift for me!
I talked with one of the employees and she reinforced our purchase of making the right decision! Cannot wait to build this and put together all the sets. While I do agree it could have been a lot of smaller sets, there is something great about the complete nature of it.

Also when is he coming out? Is he a Target or Tru exclusive?

Ponn

Banned
I went to the Lego store over the weekend in hopes to buying the Ghostbusters HQ. I made sure to watch the Jang Bricks review before and after seeing it in person we decided to pass on it.

We passed due to Jang's review on the flimsy nature of the walls, and after seeing it in person it definitely showed even more. We then drew our attention to the 1966 Batcave display and were left in amazement!

My girlfriend grabbed the box without hesitation and bought it as a vday gift for me!
I talked with one of the employees and she reinforced our purchase of making the right decision! Cannot wait to build this and put together all the sets. While I do agree it could have been a lot of smaller sets, there is something great about the complete nature of it.

Also when is he coming out? Is he a Target or Tru exclusive?

Batcave is going to be a beast that changes everybodies mind.

Mr. Freeze is going to be a Lego store and S@H freebie for April with $75 purchase.

DemiMatt

April, Lego Store exclusive, free gift with purchase of over $75. :)

Batcave is going to be a beast that changes everybodies mind.

Mr. Freeze is going to be a Lego store and S@H freebie for April with $75 purchase.

Really Lego store Exclusive? When I asked the people at the Lego Store they all said Target :/

Yes I really believe that even though at first glance the set does have limitations, once they see it in person people will really want it. It is a super complete set that does give the best of all worlds. Most of the time I build super huge sets (since I don't really buy smaller sets anymore), so this is super exciting!

boltz

I'm still smitten with those Creator mini-modulars. The Bike Shop & Cafe set in particular. I just finished the 2 variant builds (haven't even started the main build yet) and they've both been absolutely excellent. Just so much building in a single set. Brilliant brilliant brilliant set.

Did you get multiple sets or are tearing down one set and building it back up? Once I build something, I am very loathe to dismantle it.

Ponn

Banned
Instead of dwelling on stuff I put together some Mixels to try and feel better. These are always fun no matter how i'm feeling.

I noticed they don't have as many extra pieces as they used to. Not sure if thats a good thing or not since some of the pieces were pretty handy like extra eye pieces and such. The :tooth" pieces that are new are pretty neat. I also like the half open eye on Trumpsy and you do get an extra one of those in the bag so thats nice if you needed a pair of them for a moc.

Fowler

Yea and its hard for me to buy the figs on their own when i'm looking at the price and saying "It's practically the same price, just get the set" Its hard to argue with myself sometimes. I might take advantage of trying to pick up the Spider-Man bridge set sans figs though to make a more complete scene with two of the builds.

Living in Hong Kong changes the equation somewhat -- apartments are tiny, and there is only so much space. Even if the minifigs add up to like, 70% of the cost of the full set, I'm still better off buying just the minifigs because there is no physical space left to store the boxes and bricks. (And more often than not, it's really more like 40-50% of the cost at the most.)

I actually have the UCS Tumbler still sitting in my car because there's nowhere to put it at home :p

Instead of dwelling on stuff I put together some Mixels to try and feel better. These are always fun no matter how i'm feeling.

I noticed they don't have as many extra pieces as they used to. Not sure if thats a good thing or not since some of the pieces were pretty handy like extra eye pieces and such. The :tooth" pieces that are new are pretty neat. I also like the half open eye on Trumpsy and you do get an extra one of those in the bag so thats nice if you needed a pair of them for a moc.

Speaking of too much LEGO in earlier posts, I've hit the point where my collector nature for having to get all the Mixels is now overcome by finances and just being overwhelmed by so much LEGO (for now). One of the reasons I got the Mixels was for parts especially the ball joints, eyes, rare or uncommon parts, and parts in a unique color. Also, I never thought the theme would go on this long. The ball joints and eye parts are now abundant. If I like a unique part, I can buy a lot more of that part via Bricklink except for rare ones like the bright light orange bush on 41508: Volectro series 1 which are pricey. Just checked Bricklink, there is only 1 seller for that part which goes for almost $10!!!! Holy crap, series 1 Volectro goes for $18 new.

I'll still pick up Mixels, but only some that really call to me. I have so many parts that I can probably make any new Mixels unless they make a part in a new or rare color.

EDIT: I decided to check prices of other Mixel sets in the after market. LEGO must have produced a TON of series 3 and series 4 sets. You can buy those significantly LESS THAN MSRP in the after market.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom