• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT6| We Only Build in Black. And Sometimes Very Dark Grey.

Pyrrhic Victory

Neo Member
Trying to build a custom project that needs bricks from online and I'm hoping you brickheads can give me some guidance for buying bricks in places that aren't lego.com Pick-A-Brick:

1) I assume the best place to buy is BrickLink?

2) Some colors on lego.com Pick-A-Brick are not listed on BrickLink. For instance, Spring Yellowish Green and Bright Yellowish Green. There's just Yellowish Green on BrickLink Color Guide. How can I ensure I'm getting the matching colors? Is there a code I'm not seeing?

3) Related, I see Bright Pink and Light Purple used interchangeably but also listed as separate colors on BrickLink. Bright Pink is not on lego.com. How can I tell if these are in fact separate colors?

4) Is the idea to find one vendor on BrickLink that has all the colors, bricks, and amounts I might need for an order? Or am I supposed to add the cheapest of each piece to a cart and check out all at once from all different vendors?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

wetwired

Trying to build a custom project that needs bricks from online and I'm hoping you brickheads can give me some guidance for buying bricks in places that aren't lego.com Pick-A-Brick:

1) I assume the best place to buy is BrickLink?

2) Some colors on lego.com Pick-A-Brick are not listed on BrickLink. For instance, Spring Yellowish Green and Bright Yellowish Green. There's just Yellowish Green on BrickLink Color Guide. How can I ensure I'm getting the matching colors? Is there a code I'm not seeing?

3) Related, I see Bright Pink and Light Purple used interchangeably but also listed as separate colors on BrickLink. Bright Pink is not on lego.com. How can I tell if these are in fact separate colors?

4) Is the idea to find one vendor on BrickLink that has all the colors, bricks, and amounts I might need for an order? Or am I supposed to add the cheapest of each piece to a cart and check out all at once from all different vendors?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

1) Yes

2) LEGOs internal colour names differ from Bricklinks colour names. There's probably a chart somewhere that shows you what's what when converting to bricklink colours.

3) See above

4) Now you're getting into the art of buying from bricklink, the balance between paying the least for a part, finding the quantity you require, buying from sellers closer to you and buying from the least amount of sellers. Buying from more vendors means paying more in postage overall.

Koren

Bright yellowish green is Lime on bricklink, if I'm nit mistaken.

IIRC Lego's Light purple is Bright pink on BL, it's the same.

But honestly, bricklink shops aren't reliable with colors.

Koren

1)
2) LEGOs internal colour names differ from Bricklinks colour names. There's probably a chart somewhere that shows you what's what when converting to bricklink colours.
Brickset is handy, but I finally wrote my own (and ordered parts of each color) because it's nightmarish...

DBT85

Any particular way to wash your lego guys? Will be collecting however much is in my mums loft this week and its been sitting there 17 years untouched. Some of the pieces are over 35 years old lol. Even just my stuff will be as much as 25ish years.

Any particular way to wash your lego guys? Will be collecting however much is in my mums loft this week and its been sitting there 17 years untouched. Some of the pieces are over 35 years old lol. Even just my stuff will be as much as 25ish years.
Depending on quantity put parts in a sink or bathtub with mild dish detergent and warm water. Let soak for a few hours. Use a colander to strain and rinse. Dry on towels with a fan blowing.

DonShula

Came across this on Imgur. Guy who works for the Lego's Discovery Center

https://imgur.com/gallery/GU4dB - some pics of stuff they work on

https://imgur.com/gallery/zZOz7 - pics of their sorting

When I saw those bicycles I got a feeling of desperation... can't imagine having to build 100 of them. Funny how that works when it's your job and not a hobby.

Have been to the Chicago one though, and that city scape is amazing. Can't imagine how long that took to build.

Haines

Banned
Depending on quantity put parts in a sink or bathtub with mild dish detergent and warm water. Let soak for a few hours. Use a colander to strain and rinse. Dry on towels with a fan blowing.

Thanks i have a bunch of old stuff coming and didnt even consider they probably need cleaned, so this will be good to know

I might have to go visit the lego places around toronto this thursday or friday. There must be something cool to see

Thanks i have a bunch of old stuff coming and didnt even consider they probably need cleaned, so this will be good to know

I might have to go visit the lego places around toronto this thursday or friday. There must be something cool to see

I'm close by in Buffalo. You missed brickfete by one week.

Haines

Banned
I'm close by in Buffalo. You missed brickfete by one week.

Oof. I was busy anyways but looking at photos that looks straight up awesome.

We have only been into lego for a couple months anyways so by next year it will be a more meaningful trip i can plan.

I see theres a legoland and 2 lego stores. Not sure why one of the lego stores wount be right at lego land. Seems odd.

Is lego land worth going to?

We have only been into lego for a couple months anyways so by next year it will be a more meaningful trip i can plan.

I see theres a legoland and 2 lego stores. Not sure why one of the lego stores wount be right at lego land. Seems odd.

There are three LEGO stores and a fourth (kind of lame one) attached to the Discovery Center.

Fairview, Sherway and Yorkdale mall all have decent official LEGO stores-sherway is the best.

The discovery center is pretty underwhelming unless you are with kids aged 3-6. There are some great vignettes but most of it centers around a sad little ride that takes an hour to line up for. I have taken my kids twice and the second time I really didn't want to go.

That having been said....the lame LEGO store attached to it does have one thing going for it: they get really weird poly bags to sell. Often those associated with other stores, and they always have the monthly builds unopened for purchase.

It's a discovery center so I've heard it's pretty meh. Good spot to find rarer polybags though. Check on a membership as they have a 10% discount although they may have added exclusions like hard to find sets.

Haines

Banned
So i just bought some stuff on the amazon prime canada deal

Large creative box 33 bucks
Lego City airport 70 bucks
City van and rv 14 bucks
Green base plate 7 bucks

CAN $ of course.

If any of this is totally unworth a purchase, lemme know and ill cancel

Jimrpg

As we always say Friends does City better than City (and sometimes Creator too). Friends sets are fantastic for both display and play features. But I do not like open builds, I prefer closed houses. The new modular houses cannot be closed?

Yep they aren't closed. Also check out the Jangbricks video where he puts all three holiday villa, modern modular and family villa together into the one build. There are some weird gaps on the other side when he turns the build around. It's fine for kids to play with though.

I just can't get into friends or elves cause the over use of purples and pinks. It's fine occasionally but when the stairs and floors are all pink and purple it looks cheap. At least the creator sets are slightly realistic looking in their color schemes.

It's sad cause there are a lot of cool looking friends sets that are ruined by their color schemes. Hot dog stand was dope tho.

Yeah goes without saying they've clearly aimed the city line at boys and friends for girls and they're selling well so its hard to argue with. I've got a girl and a boy so I'm happy buying a mix of friends and creator sets, and they've been playing with both. I don't know if i'd buy the friends sets if I have two boys, I'd probably get more city sets. Funny how that works. I'd still buy the Lego Friends Hospital though, looks like a pretty awesome set.

And agreed the Hot dog stand is amazing, I hope they do more fairground/themepark sets too.

Assembly square was like $100 :(
Nooooooooooo
Fuck these games I bought

Hoth UCS might have been like $80 lol

Death Star though :(

No fucking way! LOL. God damn it. It would still be ridiculously priced even with crazy $100 shipping to where I am.

Experien

Saw Palace Cinema but it just said 25% off at checkout but then they didn't apply the discount at checkout so I passed on it. 75% of the LEGO stuff has been removed from Prime Day.

Saw Palace Cinema but it just said 25% off at checkout but then they didn't apply the discount at checkout so I passed on it. 75% of the LEGO stuff has been removed from Prime Day.

Some games were like that but I had to rebuy it to get the discount
Have a feeling it would have been like that for the lego sets

I don't think you need to worry too much about that. I read of people over on SlickDeals buying insane quantities. Those are going to get canceled fast.

Why do I feel like most of the people doing that on SlickDeals are just shady and disgusting people? Just buy one and be happy you got a good deal. Unless you are going nuts and buying up for gifts or giving to sick children or something, just let other people get in on it.

But they are probably all scalpers. Fuck 'em. I hope they get everything cancelled if they are scalpers.

Haines

Banned
Hummed and hawed if i should cancel the airport set as its normally 110 canadian at costco, so down to 73 isnt as big of a drop as i thought, ( 130 here at walmart)

But it really does look like a great set for a 4-5 year old to explore and play with when built,

Am i wrong here, i feel conflicted

My only Prime Day purchase so far is a 6-pack of 10x10 base plates for $19.99. Everything else LEGO just looks like the same prices you'd find anywhere.

otapnam

Maybe I just don't understand how this works. Either that or UCS Tie for $5 off is a Prime Deal.

There's additional 10% off for prime members on prime day deals. I'm not sure if that's on top of the 5% or just just double the normal 5% on the card

Edit my mistake. Looks like it's been added already? Weak

Haines

Banned
I ended up cancelling the airport.

Could have been great but when i realized that a lot of it wasnt really lego bricks, i didnt want to take the chance on buyers remorse.

DBT85

I don't think you need to worry too much about that. I read of people over on SlickDeals buying insane quantities. Those are going to get canceled fast.

Would be nice in these instances if everyone who bought 1 got it honoured for not being a complete dick, and everyone else didn't.

In other news, had no idea toys r us was carrying the NASA set, saw it in stores today
They had 2

I saw another deal someone got, yeah I would have been cheap af to bite lol

Ponn

Banned
I ended up cancelling the airport.

Could have been great but when i realized that a lot of it wasnt really lego bricks, i didnt want to take the chance on buyers remorse.

That the City set? I'm not a fan of the City building sets but thats because they don't fit in with my Modular street. They might be fun if you are building and playing with a kid though but the other thing that kills those sets is the insane price per piece ratio those City sets have been carrying. They have been putting the Star Wars tax to shame.

mclem

Did it work? Yea unfortunately the deals are region specific, i keep forgetting about that. In US its only select items so none of our AWD lego sets get discounts. They always screw us with that. If they didn't I might be tempted to get a good discount on OOP items they put up.

Well, the order went through, at least; it's just a case now of waiting to see what actually turns up!

_Rob_

Just snagged a sealed Modular Pet Store for £130 (+SH) stored in it's original Lego shipping box too! Not bad, I was under the impression all of the old Modular's were massively inflated after discontinuation, but for some reason this one in particular is pretty reasonable, I wonder why?

In the space of 3 months I've somehow ended up accruing 5 of them; and as I mentioned the other day I'll be grabbing the Assembly Square at begging of August too (thanks to some lovely double VIP points and a significant discount)!

This is an expensive hobby, but I love it!

mclem

Just snagged a sealed Modular Pet Store for £130 (+SH) stored in it's original Lego shipping box too! Not bad, I was under the impression all of the old Modular's were massively inflated after discontinuation, but for some reason this one in particular is pretty reasonable, I wonder why?

There was a blip in the modular release/retirement sequence; the Pet Store was released before the Town Hall, but the Town Hall was retired first. That got lots of people nervous! As such, the pet store was available for longer, and in that period people got jumpier with modulars and so there's quite a few more on the market.

Top Bottom