• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT6| We Only Build in Black. And Sometimes Very Dark Grey.

_Rob_

There was a blip in the modular release/retirement sequence; the Pet Store was released before the Town Hall, but the Town Hall was retired first. That got lots of people nervous! As such, the pet store was available for longer, and in that period people got jumpier with modulars and so there's quite a few more on the market.

Ahh! That makes perfect sense. How odd though, I wonder what pushed Lego to make that decision. Either way I'm pleased as punch, I actually prefer the look of the Pet Shop anyway (of course I'd like both, but I'm not made of money!).

As a kid my dream (that I, according to my mother, would never shut up about) was to have a city made out of Lego. Think Will Ferrell's basement in The Lego Movie. Now I am an adult with my own apartment, and my girlfriend suggested we use a part of our bedroom to put a table in and build that city. We got the Lego Creator Vacation Getaway set and I am gonna go home and pick up some old sets, and hopefully I will soon enough have version of that childhood dream up and running.

I haven't really read these threads before since I never had the money to have it be more than wish-fulfillment but now is the time.

_Rob_

my girlfriend suggested we a part of our bedroom to put a table in a build that city.

I think you need this:

Romantic-proposal-ideas-1.jpg

Osahi

For those who fear they might miss out on Saturn V, Lego just posted this on the Ideas Blog:

It has been over a month since the official launch of the LEGO® Ideas 21309 NASA Apollo Saturn V set and the overwhelming popularity of the iconic rocket has unfortunately meant that some LEGO fans have not yet been able to purchase their set or have had to wait longer than they had hoped.

Unfortunately, rumours and speculation have arisen concerning its availability, which we would like to shortly address.

We Are Continuing To Produce More Apollo Saturn V Sets
Having just launched the Apollo Saturn V set recently, we will continue to produce the set according to our scheduled plans and we would like to re-assure everyone that it has not been retired.

While the set is temporarily out of stock through our online shop, with limited quantities available in LEGO Stores, our production teams are working hard to produce more sets in order to make sure that everyone will be able to purchase their copy. This does take time however and we therefore ask for your patience. The product page on our online shop is continually updated to reflect current availability, but if you have questions regarding your order you're very welcome to contact our Customer Service.

We would like to thank you for your continued support of LEGO Ideas, and we cannot wait to bring you more exciting sets designed by LEGO fans.

Haines

Banned
That the City set? I'm not a fan of the City building sets but thats because they don't fit in with my Modular street. They might be fun if you are building and playing with a kid though but the other thing that kills those sets is the insane price per piece ratio those City sets have been carrying. They have been putting the Star Wars tax to shame.

Oh i havent even paid much attention to price per piece. Good call.

Thankfully i try to buy the stuff at a deep discount

As a kid my dream (that I, according to my mother, would never shut up about) was to have a city made out of Lego. Think Will Ferrell's basement in The Lego Movie. Now I am an adult with my own apartment, and my girlfriend suggested we use a part of our bedroom to put a table in and build that city. We got the Lego Creator Vacation Getaway set and I am gonna go home and pick up some old sets, and hopefully I will soon enough have version of that childhood dream up and running.

I haven't really read these threads before since I never had the money to have it be more than wish-fulfillment but now is the time.

You are doomed.

Welcome to the club!

Edited: I want to clarify my statement (it can be misunderstood): Your wallet is doomed, you are very lucky, she is a keeper.

Jimrpg

Just snagged a sealed Modular Pet Store for £130 (+SH) stored in it's original Lego shipping box too! Not bad, I was under the impression all of the old Modular's were massively inflated after discontinuation, but for some reason this one in particular is pretty reasonable, I wonder why?

In the space of 3 months I've somehow ended up accruing 5 of them; and as I mentioned the other day I'll be grabbing the Assembly Square at begging of August too (thanks to some lovely double VIP points and a significant discount)!

This is an expensive hobby, but I love it!

Yeah I saw a Pet shop for $200 + $30 shipping on Amazon today and thought that was fairly reasonable. Maybe there's still time to get one at a reasonable price.

I love the Lego Vacation Getaway set, such genius. The Lego Creator space shuttle from this year is a bit like that, three really different builds.

Good luck with your city!

Thanks for the welcoming guys! I have a bunch of old city-themed sets at home from my childhood such as a police station, and my brothers' old Lego (from the 80's) also include a bunch of city sets so I think that I have a solid base. I'm guessing Lego Creator is the way to go since those seem to be the most fun to build. Building Lego will hopefully also prove to be a better couples activity than me playing video games and she watching Netflix.

I can help but to think that Pet Shop prices are bring artificialy raised. There is not a strong demand for it, yet its price skyrocket the last months. Yes, it was retired, but just before it there are a lot of offers.

Thanks for the welcoming guys! I have a bunch of old city-themed sets at home from my childhood such as a police station, and my brothers' old Lego (from the 80's) also include a bunch of city sets so I think that I have a solid base. I'm guessing Lego Creator is they way to go since those seem to be the most fun to build. Building Lego will hopefully also prove to be a better couples activity than me playing video games and she watching Netflix.

Wait until you see the Creator Expert modulars.... or any expert set for the matter.

LEGO-Creator-Modular-Buildings.jpg

Jimrpg

Wait until you see the Creator Expert modulars.... or any expert set for the matter.

LEGO-Creator-Modular-Buildings.jpg

I was totally happy with my Lego spending until I decided to get these...

Thanks for the welcoming guys! I have a bunch of old city-themed sets at home from my childhood such as a police station, and my brothers' old Lego (from the 80's) also include a bunch of city sets so I think that I have a solid base. I'm guessing Lego Creator is the way to go since those seem to be the most fun to build. Building Lego will hopefully also prove to be a better couples activity than me playing video games and she watching Netflix.

Lego Classic big boxes also offer a lot of pieces for the price, but you'll also be getting pieces in every colour which may or may not be what you're after.

willp2003

I'm guessing Lego Creator is the way to go since those seem to be the most fun to build. Building Lego will hopefully also prove to be a better couples activity than me playing video games and she watching Netflix.

The small-medium creator sets can almost always be had at discount on Amazon etc, and are often great builds. Vacation getaways and blue power jet, are some stand out ones from the last couple of years.
If you venture into the creator expert range, that's when your money disappears, but the builds get better.
I'd recommend trying to stick to one theme (star wars, creator, etc), but if you come here often enough, you'll soon start branching out and gettting more. Just assign the whole spare bedroom to lego now, and watch the collection grow!

_Rob_

Yeah I've been eyeing those as well, I would love to just go on a huge spending spree but I guess I'll have to lean into it.

As a recent convert, I would echo many other people's opinion that currently the Parisian Restaurant is the best starting point if you're serious about them.

Oh and think about selling a kidney; I mean, do you really need two of them anyway?

DBT85

Pet shop is still regularly sold on ebay for about £130 new iirc. Not that I was looking or Biddestone on one today at all. Nope. #helpme

I wonder if that's in response to this thing selling for up to 3x RRP on eBay, can't be a good look for LEGO for a set that only came out like a month ago.

Probably getting a lot of emails and tweets about it. It was never going to be discontinued that fast anyway but people panic. Hopefully it is the means scalers don't get sales as people wait.

Why they didn't limit it to 1 per person anyway I don't know.

Osahi

I wonder if that's in response to this thing selling for up to 3x RRP on eBay, can't be a good look for LEGO for a set that only came out like a month ago.

I don't think it is a coincidence that only yesterday they had a blogpost about Saturn V compared to the real thing, where 90% of the comments are people complaining they weren't able to buy one yet.

As a recent convert, I would echo many other people's opinion that currently the Parisian Restaurant is the best starting point if you're serious about them.

Oh and think about selling a kidney; I mean, do you really need two of them anyway?

I was looking at the Assembly Square but I guess I could go for the Parisian Resturaunt to begin with. Why is it supposed to be the best starting point?

Reading the thread it seems the Palace Cinema is gonna go out of production soon, is this true? And how do I keep up with news like this?

willp2003

Yeah palace cinema should be next to be retired. Parisian restaurant was recently voted the best modular on bricklink. I've still got mine to build (saved the best til last).

I was looking at the Assembly Square but I guess I could go for the Parisian Resturaunt to begin with. Why is it supposed to be the best starting point?

PA is one of the best modulars, a joy to build and should be the next to retire after Palace. But since it is that great, I will recommend build the others first instead, so you will have the best experience with all.

Reading the thread it seems the Palace Cinema is gonna go out of production soon, is this true? And how do I keep up with news like this?

No official news yet, but solid sources. Yes, it will retire soon. Keep up with this thread!

Koren

I don't think it is a coincidence that only yesterday they had a blogpost about Saturn V compared to the real thing, where 90% of the comments are people complaining they weren't able to buy one yet.
Well, I asked them what the situation was in the french Lego shops, it's now on backorder till end of october. That's quite crazy...

I'm surprised (but happy) I was able to walk into a store two weeks ago and just buy one. I'd like to thank people here for convincing me not to wait...

Not sure if I'll built it next sunday (16th) or thursday (20th)...

PA is one of the best modulars, a joy to build and should be the next to retire after Palace.
Advice to anyone interested: don't wait too long, I can see it going away a bit early, like Town Hall, because the uncommon parts/colors. It's a great build, tied with Assembly Square to me.

Advice to anyone interested: don't wait too long, I can see it going away a bit early, like Town Hall, because the uncommon parts/colors. It's a great build, tied with Assembly Square to me.

I guess that when they retire one modular, another one is released/about to be released right?

Parisian Restaurant is possibly still the best modular (Green Grocer is up there but it's gone now, and Assembly Square cheats by being so huge). Palace Cinema is one of the weakest. Sure, getting both would be preferrable, but if there's any risk at all of not getting to PR before it also drops, you should get it first.

If Pet Shop can still be found for reasonable prices, I would also jump on that. It really is a great set. Top 5, I think.

Parisian Restaurant, Green Grocer, Assembly Square, Pet Shop... after that it's a close race with Café Corner and Detective's Office, then Fire Brigade. Then Brick Bank, then Grand Emporium, then Palace Cinema, then Town Hall, then Market Street. Yeah, I think that would be it.

Ryuuroden

Parisian Restaurant is possibly still the best modular (Green Grocer is up there but it's gone now, and Assembly Square cheats by being so huge). Palace Cinema is one of the weakest. Sure, getting both would be preferrable, but if there's any risk at all of not getting to PR before it also drops, you should get it first.

If Pet Shop can still be found for reasonable prices, I would also jump on that. It really is a great set. Top 5, I think.

Parisian Restaurant, Green Grocer, Assembly Square, Pet Shop... after that it's a close race with Café Corner and Detective's Office, then Fire Brigade. Then Brick Bank, then Grand Emporium, then Palace Cinema, then Town Hall, then Market Street. Yeah, I think that would be it.

Its going to be funny when we have to start including sets like Ninjago City and Old Fishing shop in the rankings with modulars. At least Ninjago City definitely fits in the category. Old Fishing Shop may fit more in with Haunted House.

Alright, thanks! Looking around I see that Assembly Square is the newest one so I guess it makes sense to pick up the older modular's first. And while my girlfriend is supportive I dunno how much she would enjoy me spending insane sums for OOP sets.

Speaking of big sets, the Carousel is quite large, isn't it? I was wondering if it can get along the modulars on a city square/park or it will be too huge.

AMUSIX

Speaking of big sets, the Carousel is quite large, isn't it? I was wondering if it can get along the modulars on a city square/park or it will be too huge.

I think it would be way too big. It;s not a great shot, but you can see the carousel on the left, and the row of modulars on the right...so, yeah, unless your town has built themselves a 4-story tall carousel, I don't think it scales correctly:
OLAw3Vi.jpg

AMUSIX

oooh! are we rating modulars?

OK, I'm with you that Parisian is top tier, but I'd place Detective's Office right with it. I haven't done my Assembly Square yet, but that looks to be a winner, too.

Pet Shop was neat, especially since it's really two separate, smaller buildings, but I found that almost all the interest was in the shop itself, and the emptiness of the other rooms was a bit disappointing.

I'm in the middle of the Brick Bank right now, and I have to say the washing machine/safety deposit element was one of my favorite things to build.

Palace Cinema was nice, but I agree that it's one of the weaker modulars.

Oh! It's not officially a modular, but the Monster Fighters Haunted House would easily sit with the Parisian and Detective's for me. It's too bad that it's discontinued, because it'd be my go-to "recommend one set" answer, especially because it can be displayed on its own so well.

Finally, just going to say that the SHIELD Helicarrier remains my favorite build. So many surprising elements and creative techniques, just fun all around. I'm hoping that the
new Millenium Falcon gives it some competition.

Boogiepop

So, I'm thinking of maybe switching out the locking mechanism on my bricklinked Cafe Corner for the newer style method for modulars. Haven't been all that happy with the way the floors stick together, and it works so well on the newer modulars...

That should be pretty simple, right? (The whim just hit me as it was bugging me and I was thinking of doing a bricklink order for something else, so I thought to maybe add on those parts, but I haven't given it a thorough look yet to make sure everything checks out and there wouldn't be any issues I'm not considering...)

Koren

I guess that when they retire one modular, another one is released/about to be released right?
As said, they're released on january 1st each year, but don't make plans on retirements, it's quite random...
http://retiringsets.com/lego-modular-buildings-list/

Interesting... I would have pretty much the same (though a tie for first three), except for Pet Shop... To me, it's with GE and PC (and probably below those). What do you find that great in PS?

Edit; it's a bit tricky, though... I want to modify CC a bit, and adding inside furnishing, and do a 2x on DO and probably BB because I think they look better when on 48x32...

I think it would be way too big. It;s not a great shot, but you can see the carousel on the left, and the row of modulars on the right...so, yeah, unless your town has built themselves a 4-story tall carousel, I don't think it scales correctly:]

Thanks for the image! Yeah, it looks too massive near the modulars. Shame, it would be a nice detail in my (planned) city. Well, at least one less set to worry about getting (maybe I will get it later regardless),

It seems that the Carousel was made in a "real world" scale, while everything else in City/Modulars are "weird minifig scale where cars can only hold the driver and rooms are 4 m2".

DonShula

I'm gonna have to stand up for Palace Cinema I guess. Yes, the interior is lacking, Yes, it has fewer wow moments than some of the others. BUT after you're done building its all about that exterior display value, and Palace Cinema is right up there. It's taller and more imposing than most. The colors are striking. There is no mistaking the exterior at first glance like the Pet Shop or Detective Office.

You can't really go wrong at the end of the day with any of them. But I can promise you one thing: if you pass up on Palace Cinema, you'll want it after it's retired :)

ghostmind

The Last Jedi sets (Force Friday 2017):

75176 Resistance Transport Pod (294 pcs; $29.99)
75177 First Order Heavy Scout Walker (554 pcs; $49.99)
75179 Kylo Ren's TIE Fighter (630 pcs; $79.99)
75187 BB-8 (1,106 pcs; $99.99)
75188 Resistance Bomber (778 pcs; $109.99)
75189 First Order Heavy Assault Walker (1,376 pcs; $139.99)
75190 First Order Star Destroyer (1,416 pcs; $149.99)

75526 TLJ Buildable Figure (94 pcs; $24.99)
75528 TLJ Buildable Figure (85 pcs; $24.99)
75529 TLJ Buildable Figure (92 pcs; $24.99)
75530 TLJ Buildable Figure (179 pcs; $34.99)

*prices are approximate*

The Last Jedi sets (Force Friday 2017):

75176 Resistance Transport Pod (??? pcs; $29.99)
75177 First Order Heavy Scout Walker (??? pcs; $49.99)
75179 Kylo Ren's TIE Fighter (??? pcs; $79.99)
75187 BB-8 (1,106 pcs; $99.99)
75188 Resistance Bomber (778 pcs; $99.99)
75189 First Order Heavy Assault Walker (1,376 pcs; $129.99)
75190 First Order Star Destroyer (1,416 pcs; $139.99)

75526 TLJ Buildable Figure (94 pcs; $24.99)
75528 TLJ Buildable Figure (85 pcs; $24.99)
75529 TLJ Buildable Figure (92 pcs; $24.99)
75530 TLJ Buildable Figure (179 pcs; $34.99)

welp time to set aside about $600 for force friday >.<

DonShula

welp time to set aside about $600 for force friday >.<

I was expecting $700 so this is actually a bargain!
/s

Thank you as always ghostmind.

I'll pass on the constractions at first unless they're stellar. Those things now have a rep for clearance darlings. I don't think I've paid more than 50% of MSRP for one. In some cases it's been like 10%...

Edit: curious to see where the prices land if they are conversions from Euro or something. I was impressed with the ratio on the two large sets considering the branding and hype, but I won't be surprised now if they clock in higher.

ghostmind

Star Wars (1H 2018) sets:

45198 Brickheadz
45199 Brickheadz
41600 Brickheadz
41601 Brickheadz
41602 Brickheadz

75193 Millennium Falcon (MicroFighter)
75194 First Order TIE Fighter (Microfighter)
75195 The Last Jedi (Microfighter)
75196 TLJ (Microfighter)
75197 TLJ set
75198 Tatooine Battle Pack
75199 General Grievous Combat Speeder
75200 TLJ set
75201 TLJ set
75202 TLJ set
75203 TBA
75204 TBA
75205 TBA
75206 Geonosis Battle Pack