• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT6| We Only Build in Black. And Sometimes Very Dark Grey.

Ryuuroden

Finally broke down and watched some Jang reviews last night for the TLJ sets, hoping to save myself some money. It kinda worked.

Star Destroyer is confirmed. Looks like a good set and an acceptable purchase at MSRP.

The First Order Walker will probably be a "wait for a sale" set. I didn't see a lot of great detail for display purposes. It appears to be more of a toy than a display piece, which is fine, but not for $150.

My concerns about the Resistance Bomber were confirmed. It's a great, original, well-designed set with great minifigs (the helmets!) and it actually stands upright on its own. It is also priced ridiculously. 780 pieces for $110. I can see this thing getting an instant Walmart "rollback" to about $89 and then dropping from there. Don't think I can support the way Lego has priced this one, even though it otherwise looks amazing.

Decisions!

The resistance bomber looks great but I would recommend you hold off on buying it. Same with the others really. I will say that if star wars sets are pretty much the only stuff you buy and money is not an issue, then go for it. Of the three sets you listed. I'm pretty sure the resistance bomber will get the greatest discounts. You also have to consider now that star wars sets will probably see faster clearances now due to all the additional sets and waves coming out faster than ever and limited retail space. After several years of seeing fewer and fewer deals out there, I have noticed a sudden increase in decent clearancing of sets. It will at least see a 20% off or more this Christmas on Amazon.

Osahi

Finally broke down and watched some Jang reviews last night for the TLJ sets, hoping to save myself some money. It kinda worked.

Star Destroyer is confirmed. Looks like a good set and an acceptable purchase at MSRP.

The First Order Walker will probably be a "wait for a sale" set. I didn't see a lot of great detail for display purposes. It appears to be more of a toy than a display piece, which is fine, but not for $150.

My concerns about the Resistance Bomber were confirmed. It's a great, original, well-designed set with great minifigs (the helmets!) and it actually stands upright on its own. It is also priced ridiculously. 780 pieces for $110. I can see this thing getting an instant Walmart "rollback" to about $89 and then dropping from there. Don't think I can support the way Lego has priced this one, even though it otherwise looks amazing.

Decisions!

I'm just getting BB-8 (and OFS) for now, as I really want that set. I'll get the bomber and Kylo's Tie later on after (steep) discounts, and if I should miss out on them because of that I wouldn't be to sorry. I noticed the Rogue One sets are getting cleared here in Belgium with up to 70% discounts (and it's across multiple chains, so it's probably a promotion coming from Lego. Some are using the same banner on their sites). I guess TLJ sets will have the seem treatment when Han Solo sets are released...

DonShula

The resistance bomber looks great but I would recommend you hold off on buying it. Same with the others really. I will say that if star wars sets are pretty much the only stuff you buy and money is not an issue, then go for it. Of the three sets you listed. I'm pretty sure the resistance bomber will get the greatest discounts. You also have to consider now that star wars sets will probably see faster clearances now due to all the additional sets and waves coming out faster than ever and limited retail space. After several years of seeing fewer and fewer deals out there, I have noticed a sudden increase in decent clearancing of sets. It will at least see a 20% off or more this Christmas on Amazon.

Yeah I'm trying to balance my desire to get these now with my generally cheap nature.

Old Fishing Store will probably never see a discount so I have no qualms about getting it day one. I'd also like something Star Wars themed though.

laTJAYd.gifv

iosefe

Yeah I'm trying to balance my desire to get these now with my generally cheap nature.

Old Fishing Store will probably never see a discount so I have no qualms about getting it day one. I'd also like something Star Wars themed though.

i wouldn't say *never* because there is precedence for Ideas sets having a discount

Anyone here own the 75191 Jedi Starfighter with Hyperdrive set?

I kinda dig the look, obviously it's overpriced but with triple VIP coming up hmmm i am strongly considering it, would love some impressions.

Ponn

Banned
LEGO, or someone acting on their behalf has threatened JANG with legal action unless he takes down his Last Jedi set reviews:

https://youtu.be/Cn6l6PCEc5o

That sucks, especially doing that towards someone who so obviously loves your brand and supports you. I have a feeling this is coming more from pressure from the SW overlords than Lego. Still fucking stupid to be making yourselves look like asses when you only have a couple days left and everyone already knows the sets anyways.

Seems Jang was forced to pull all his TLJ reviews.

LEGO, or someone acting on their behalf has threatened JANG with legal action unless he takes down his Last Jedi set reviews:

https://youtu.be/Cn6l6PCEc5o

Before I clicked the link, I was thinking it was probably because of some contractual stipulation with Lucasfilm. Jang's video seemed to confirm that point after watching it.

LEGO does business and has agreement with Lucasfilm. LEGO sometimes sends stuff to JANG or at least recognizes him. So Lucasfilm sees someone that has done business with LEGO and is in still some way connected with them showing stuff off before official street date, so they have LEGO speak on their behalf.
Yes, the retailers screwed up by releasing the sets early, so it is really on them, but I get why things are happening and why JANG took them down.

Experien

I feel like I am going to have a hard time coming up with $50 worth of SW stuff. Guess I could go Death Trooper, but wha telse?

I am a huge fan of the Shoretroopers so want that polybag if possible.

ghostmind

Before I clicked the link, I was thinking it was probably because of some contractual stipulation with Lucasfilm. Jang's video seemed to confirm that point after watching it.

LEGO does business and has agreement with Lucasfilm. LEGO sometimes sends stuff to JANG or at least recognizes him. So Lucasfilm sees someone that has done business with LEGO and is in still some way connected with them showing stuff off before official street date, so they have LEGO speak on their behalf.
Yes, the retailers screwed up by releasing the sets early, so it is really on them, but I get why things are happening and why JANG took them down.

I get the "why" on both sides, but I do question the legality of a legal threat regarding sets available at retail.

JANG knows that fighting this could cost him more money that lost revenue from views, so he's capitulating. Individuals on Brickset are now questioning if their review of the Chewbacca buildable figure is going to be next.

Regardless this speaks to the continuing erosion over the rights of the individual, versus the rights of the corporation, and the use of legal threat as a means for those with deep pockets to bully their way.

This will likely pass in short order, since the sets are available on Friday, but this isn't a good look for LEGO.

I see both sides of it. And I don't think LEGO would send cease and desist orders to random individuals about the sets. Maybe only reviewers or sites they have done business with or personally interacted with in the past.

Of course, stuff like that is why I have been rather careful about sharing stuff on here I found out early. I remember the pics I got of the LEGO Movie sets like Sea Cow and SPACESHIP! and only shared them in PM, and then other sites got wind and went wild with them.

And it did feel good to be the original source for a leak for once.

DonShula

I get Lego's position here, but legally I doubt they have a leg to stand on.

Unfortunately the system is such that if Jang refused, they'd just issue a copyright takedown with YouTube and win in the sort term by default.

Personally, I have no sympathy for Lego or Lucasfilm or Disney on this one. Their interests are in styling the marketing and as a consumer that doesn't matter to me at all. They can keep a tighter lid on things if controlling the release of information matters that much to them. Easier said than done, but I'm the consumer and I'm not obligated to care about their marketing plans.

Ponn

Banned
I'm wanting to build a pier or large dock, one that the recent City Fishing Boat won't look too ridiculous next to but also would look ok next to say Creator Lighthouse and Old Fishing Store. Does anyone have any mocs or come across mocs they could share I could snipe some ideas from and get an idea what kind of parts and how many I may need?

I'm wanting to build a pier or large dock, one that the recent City Fishing Boat won't look too ridiculous next to but also would like ok next to say Creator Lighthouse and Old Fishing Store. Does anyone have any mocs or come across mocs they could share I could snipe some ideas from and get an idea what kind of parts and how many I may need?

You could do a large scale modification to what Ninjago City did for their tiny piers. Those parts look so damn good.

ghostmind

I'm wanting to build a pier or large dock, one that the recent City Fishing Boat won't look too ridiculous next to but also would look ok next to say Creator Lighthouse and Old Fishing Store. Does anyone have any mocs or come across mocs they could share I could snipe some ideas from and get an idea what kind of parts and how many I may need?

How about one from the Old Fishing Store designer?

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/25822826-4360-4a8d-9665-2766d064677c/updates

gVfJmsr.png

Since there is no embargo on new TLJ sets it is really a shit business (either from Lego or Disney) to thread reviewers that legally bought the sets on stores. Like if I bought one I cannot comment it to my friends (I know Jang makes money from the reviews but the principle is the same). I can see Disney trying to protect its IP and pressure Lego but the real fault is at stores which have broken the street date. Lego should have gone against the stores but it is easier, cheaper and more effective to thread the reviewer (but it does not make it legal or morally right).

Speaking of that, the other projects from RobenAnne are likely to reach 10.000 supports:

https://ideas.lego.com/profile/RobenAnne/projects#search/s:most_recent&scroll=332

I don't think Lego would approve another idea from him (besides they are all quite similar - not only the theme but all have the samekind of tower) but I really like his designs and would not mind another one approved.

Which one do you guys like the most? I think my favorite is the lighthouse.

Ponn

Banned
You could do a large scale modification to what Ninjago City did for their tiny piers. Those parts look so damn good.

I don't have Ninjago City yet but I will see if they have the instructions online yet to look at the build, thanks for the info!

Why yes that looks perfect for what i'm trying to do, thank you! I also have some of those custom lighted lamp posts so I can light up the pier all eerie looking to match the setting, how creepily perfect, muahahahaha*rubs hands*

ghostmind

Speaking of that, the other projects from RobenAnne are likely to reach 10.000 supports:

https://ideas.lego.com/profile/RobenAnne/projects#search/s:most_recent&scroll=332

I don't think Lego would approve another idea from him (besides they are all quite similar - not only the theme but all have the samekind of tower) but I really like his designs and would not mind another one approved.

Which one do you guys like the most? I think my favorite is the lighthouse.

I would agree on the lighthouse - I like how it is built up, and all the different roof angles.

Ninjago City piers were tiny. Using SNOT bricks with bars threaded through, then round 1x1 bricks and Technic pins to flesh it out.
They look really great when done, but have to be ground level for support.

Osahi

Fun (a toy chain in Belgium) has the TLJ sets up on their website. As expected, there is some Belgian tax added to most prices, but it isn't outreagous. BB-8 is 110 for instance. Which still translates to 10 ct a piece (though it are mostly smaller pieces I guess)

I'll wait for discounts on everything else I want. When the holidays near toy stores will open a price war like always.

My London trip is probably cancelled, so no chance of hopping into the Lego Store on friday and grabbing the sets at a lower price. But on the other hand, this means I can just order online without worrying about stock in store.

_Rob_

Damn, my main PC died, meaning I've had to reassign my Lego budget to help fund it's replacement!

Fingers crossed the Ninjago City and Old Fishing Store remain available for at least another few months...

papluh

Falcon Box leak supposedly from Italian Store flyer
Won't spoil by pictures. I hope there is more minifigs...

https://imgur.com/a/jFl14
Main box art matches what was in that white covered box Photoshop blow ups. And side pic matches the chinese leak. I hope that is not all the minifigs...

Top Bottom