• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT6| We Only Build in Black. And Sometimes Very Dark Grey.

ghostmind

I'm actually in the same boat as many of you right now. With 932 sets, and over 300,000 pieces, my collection has become a bit too unwieldy.

So I'm in the process of a mass selling of sets. My plan is to keep all of my Star Wars, as well as the modular, WV, CMFs, and some select Ideas and D2C. The rest must go to make way for future sets.

My bets are on a Space Set.
Or do I overestimate the popularity of the theme because of the movie?

I would love that, but Town/City is the #1 theme for LEGO. I good classic based Castle set would be nice too.

Town, Space, Castle and Pirates are the evergreen themes.
http://gizmodo.com/5019797/everything-you-always-wanted-to-know-about-lego

May have changed as that article is 9 years old. But a quick look at retail store shelves shows City theme is still dominant and sells. Licensed IPs such as Star Wars and Super Heroes don't count.

Side note: Ninjago is a new LEGO-owned IP theme that has been going pretty strong for 6 years without being rotated out. I wonder if that will become an new class of IP evergreen theme.

I'm actually in the same boat as many of you right now. With 932 sets, and over 300,000 pieces, my collection has become a bit too unwieldy.

So I'm in the process of a mass selling of sets. My plan is to keep all of my Star Wars, as well as the modular, WV, CMFs, and some select Ideas and D2C. The rest must go to make way for future sets.

Boat is a perfect analogy. It can only hold so much cargo before it starts to sink.

Haines

Banned

You live in canada right? Maybe i could buy some. Not sure if same province or not.

Today we are building the Lego City Van and RV.

Question 1 - Any input on lego city fire ladder truck 60107 Seems nice build for my kid but as a lego newbie i miss things. Is that ladder ust a big hunk of plastic instead of proper lego?

Question 2 - lego batmobile 70905 hows this one, does it have a big presence in the movie?

These 2 sets are in a 20% off sale at toyrsrus canada, and i have an extra 10% off coupon.

Got an email from LEGO Ideas with the projects qualified for the second 2017 review process (which results should be out early 2018):

4763008-Projects_in_Review-HnLomVTTaiC1Rg-thumbnail-full.png

"I am your father" is out of the question since it is SW and they don´t do that.

"Space Shuttle" is trending due to Saturn V release, but they already released several versions of it, so what the odds of their doing it again?

I don´t see much future for any other project although I quite like the Gilmore Girls one, as a fan of the series and it will look great besides TBBT set.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Got an email from LEGO Ideas with the projects qualified for the second 2017 review process (which results should be out early 2018):

"I am your father" is out of the question since it is SW and they don´t do that.

"Space Shuttle" is trending due to Saturn V release, but they already released several versions of it, so what the odds of their doing it again?

I don´t see much future for any other project although I quite like the Gilmore Girls one, as a fan of the series and it will look great besides TBBT set.

They don't have an active shuttle set and there is a ton of demand for one at the moment. I'd say it's probably 50/50, or better if we count the possibility of them bringing the prior shuttle out of retirement. The Saturn V tower is probably out of the question since it is an addition to a specific set, nice as it would be.

The BB-8 I ordered on the 1st still hasn't been dispatched yet. It was showing in stock when I ordered it, just showing as 'In Warehouse' on the site.

Haines

Banned
I could maybe see the gilmore girls one get through. Appeal to that audience that normally might not buy lego. It looks well thought out.

Ive never seen the show.

DBT85

Would be the shuttle or the tower for me. Can't see them releasing the tower though.

Probably they go with the shuttle to a decent standard and scale with the saturn.

Fowler

Would be the shuttle or the tower for me. Can't see them releasing the tower though.

Probably they go with the shuttle to a decent standard and scale with the saturn.

I can't see the Tower either but it's a damn cool idea. (If a super boring build with limited appeal!)

Perhaps you're thinking of 10184 Town Plan?

Haha! I note now that the curved window in Ninjago City was also used in Town Plan. That was the last time the part was used though, so it's great to have it back. I remember seeing that set in stores and not caring at the time. Stupid me.

I hope Lego makes something similar this time.

Oh, and I just realized that all those spare posters in Ninjago City can easily be used to refresh Palace Cinema! It's been showing the same movies for a long time now.

Don't think they'll go with the launchtower, as it isn't really a standalone thing.
I like the Shuttle, I would totally buy that.

gsrjedi

They should just start a NASA line and skip making them go through Ideas.

It's pretty obvious there's a large demand for them.

Didn't they do something similar some years ago? I know I've got a Lego International Space Station that I thought was from a real life space theme. Not sure if it was NASA specifically or not

Edit: looks like it was a Discovery Channel theme that featured a few different space themed sets. It was back in 2003, so it's definitely time to revisit some of these.

https://brickset.com/sets/theme-Discovery

Ponn

Banned
Hope the Shuttle gets it. The past one is one of my unicorns and the ones since have been so pathetic in comparison. I wouldn't mind the Starscream set though.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Honestly they could probably just put out pdf instructions for the launch tower and let fans get the parts themselves

What scale was the previous shuttle? I can’t see them improving on it much but I’m curious to the scale. might have to rebuild mine if I can find somewhere in the house to put it and Saturn V

Honestly they could probably just put out pdf instructions for the launch tower and let fans get the parts themselves

What scale was the previous shuttle? I can’t see them improving on it much but I’m curious to the scale. might have to rebuild mine if I can find somewhere in the house to put it and Saturn V

A little smaller but almost the same scale:

4655406-07_Shuttle_NewComps_7-16-OU0Lm-ep_S3c8A-thumbnail-full.jpg

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

The nose on the previous shuttle isn't very good. But other than that I'd be fine with them just re-releasing that even though the scale isn't perfect.

All the the Bricktober fig series, the Batman Movie ones are the most unique ones. The CITY Jungle ones seems same as in sets. Ninjago classic ones are probably important for the fans of series (no knowledge here). And finally the CMF style, they are rehash of existing one all new skins, might come handy.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/153741832@N04/36193324094/in/photostream/ (big pic, not linking directly)

I thought those series are mean to be on sale on October? That image says this week for Batman.

All the the Bricktober fig series, the Batman Movie ones are the most unique ones. The CITY Jungle ones seems same as in sets. Ninjago classic ones are probably important for the fans of series (no knowledge here). And finally the CMF style, they are rehash of existing one all new skins, might come handy.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/153741832@N04/36193324094/in/photostream/ (big pic, not linking directly)

Dang it. Last years Bricktober series was totally lame and easy to pass. This one has caught my interest. Will definitely get the Batman set unless they are included in rumored CMF2 series. Unique variant print (color if regular green) of CMF cheerleader and hippy dude. I think that white Nindroid is also a unique color. City one is an easy pass.

With "J" cheerleader, they spell JAMZ ! I have to have all the cheerleaders so I can have them spell JAMZ. That is how horribly sick and deep my LEGO collecting addiction is.

Finished building Old Fishing Store earlier. There were a few cool techniques for securing some SNOT work in a couple of spots, but nothing really stood out on the build. I do wish that the tiling on the building was done more piecemeal instead of being several large swaths at once.

Overall, the set looks amazing once completed though. It is a striking and wonderful display piece, and lots of great interior details to boot. I just wish that the interior didn't feel so cramped and that it was easier to move and position figures and objects inside once you were finished with it.

Haines

Banned
Got up to halfway on the beetle tonight. Second night me and the wife had time to do it.

Do you guys put a movie on while building? We drank and watched the worlds end.

Very much enjoying every step of the build. I do so much of the easier stuff, its nice how this is a little more mature.

she enjoyed it a lot. So i think im going to get her hooked on lego. We did it boys

edit: on the stickers topic. I read a lego designer say kids love the stickers, and they arent wrong. My boy hets exited every time we need to do one.

I also might have to back out of ninjago city and get destinys bounty Instead. The age stuff, yeah, city will far too over his head where bounty will probably be a little easier on his 4 year old brain.

Only if it is a movie I have seen many times before. For instance, while building Old Fishing Store today I watched The Matrix and Terminator 2. Unintentional deadly AI double feature today it seemed.

I also frequently put on some records while building after my wife goes to bed.

Of course, no building tonight. Just listening to records and drinking while browsing online.

I am mildly upset I still don't have an AT-AT either, but I am still clinging to hope of an UCS version in the future. Maybe in 3 years when Empire Strikes Back turns 40.

I had a lot of opportunities to get it, but everytime I saw it, I was like "oh definitely later".

Then bam, retired and gone. Same with the Red 5 X-Wing and Star Destroyer.

Now I'm trying to learn from those mistakes and jumping on sets while theyre active.

Definitely enjoyed the shit out of the AT-M6 build. Wish I hadn't missed out on an AT-AT now

Is that the one that looks like a child of an AT-AT and a Cylon? I can see that becoming the new AT-AT for the younger generation. AT-AT has a lot of nostalgia factor for me that kids today won't, but probably will for the AT-M6.

Ponn

Banned
Some early pic of the 24-in-1 Xmas set also with dates for seemingly Italian Stores...
c0DMSNgl.jpg

That looks really similar to the last one

Whew, save me some money. Only want the TLBM one. I wonder if Target is going to bring back their holiday cube. I'm still waiting on that Saturn Girl fig Lego.

Usually music or something on in the background. If its an epic build like a UCS SW set or BttF or Ghostbusters I will try and pop on the appropriate movie.

On my last night of 14 nights in disneyworld, seeing the real life castle and the Lego castle built in a few stores is giving me a real desire to build mine but I know I need to wait till we find a new home - nowhere to fit that beast at present!

Now bring me my haunted mansion and splash mountain sets Lego!

Edit and of course a Hollywood tower hotel

On my last night of 14 nights in disneyworld, seeing the real life castle and the Lego castle built in a few stores is giving me a real desire to build mine but I know I need to wait till we find a new home - nowhere to fit that beast at present!

Now bring me my haunted mansion and splash mountain sets Lego!

Edit and of course a Hollywood tower hotel

Considering how much effort Disney put to erase Song of the South from history it is amazing that Splash Mountain still exists (and it is a proof of how great the ride is)

Maengun1

Yeah I don't see anything in that review passing. Star Wars is a no (they've officially made that a rule now anyway, right?). Gilmore Girls won't make it. I love the Saturn V, but I'm not a fan of the "inspired by this previous set/add-on to this previous set" ideas submissions...I feel like once the first set is greenlit, Lego will just continue on, or not, as they will.

The other two are...fine. But nothing I'm dying to see made.

Jimrpg

edit: on the stickers topic. I read a lego designer say kids love the stickers, and they arent wrong. My boy hets exited every time we need to do one.

I also might have to back out of ninjago city and get destinys bounty Instead. The age stuff, yeah, city will far too over his head where bounty will probably be a little easier on his 4 year old brain.

Eh, my daughter (she's 4) can't stick them on straight, so I do them for her. But the designer is not wrong though, they do like them alot. They are pretty darn sticky and don't remove so easily once they are on.

Osahi

Half-way trough BB-8. The six bags are nicely divided, so the different phases are pretty quick to build. Ideal to wind down between work.

I can see how this build gets repetitive as the six 'faces' of the cube this actually is are all very similar. But it all comes together in interesting ways. Especially the interiour mechanic for the playfeatures is amazing. It's a pure technic build inside a system set. Pretty clever and quite complex in a way.

I'm afraid that by the end of today, BB will be built up allready :p

mrklaw

MrArseFace
its a bit tight inside BB-8, but I wonder if you could sneak in some power functions for the head and/or the blowtorch thumb.

Top Bottom