• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT6| We Only Build in Black. And Sometimes Very Dark Grey.

mclem

"Space Shuttle" is trending due to Saturn V release, but they already released several versions of it, so what the odds of their doing it again?

What's the usual time between this stage and release? Given how big the Saturn V has clearly been, I suspect a full-on same-scale Shuttle has a good chance, as long as there's the right amount of time between the two - I'd say approaching two years would be good, but I could also see it appearing at the anniversary.

We never really get sales figures as such, do we? I'm very curious to hear how the Saturn V has done overall, because the interest among my non-AFOL friends has been - if you'll pardon the terrible pun - astronomical. My hunch is that we're looking at something that's probably sold rather better than the average Ideas set

mclem

Do you guys put a movie on while building? We drank and watched the worlds end.

Generally a game show, ideally one with lots of questions that doesn't really require me to look at the screen; !mpossible was good for that while I was working on the last few builds, but that's off air at the moment.

I ought to watch The Chase more often, it's ideal for that sort of purpose.

On my last night of 14 nights in disneyworld, seeing the real life castle and the Lego castle built in a few stores is giving me a real desire to build mine but I know I need to wait till we find a new home - nowhere to fit that beast at present!

Now bring me my haunted mansion and splash mountain sets Lego!

Edit and of course a Hollywood tower hotel

I've said a few times one thing that I think would work rather well would be a Fantasmic diorama. A mechanical It's A Small World frontage might be rather nice too.

Rootbeer

Banned
LEGO has been doing exceedingly well for years, it can't be nothing but growth and new records all the time, especially for a toy company. No reason for concern.

nny

I just happened to fall into the habit of listening to past episodes of the Idle Thumbs podcast while building. Happened a couple of times by coincidence and now it feels weird to build without Chris, Jake and Nick ;P

LEGO GROUP REVENUE DECLINED FIVE PERCENT IN FIRST HALF OF 2017

Dark times ahead :) Can't wait to see how the planned chanfes will impact our LUG.

Lower some prices, LEGO, you'll sell more...trust me on this.
Please.

The link specifically has an article about how 2016 had a record revenue. It's silly to expect constant (and increasing) growth. But at least Lego is a private company, so there shouldn't be as many neurotic shareholders to please.

I do wonder if releasing this many huge collector sets is sustainable.

I was trying to think if LEGO had some bigger IP in the first half of 2016 compared to 2017 that helped drive sales, and all I can think of is carry over from Force Awakens. But LEGO Batman should have compensated a bit.

Perhaps sales are down because the speculator market isn't snatching up as much stuff now? Set prices are getting too high with all the giant sets?

DBT85

Houston, we have a LEGO set!

Saturn V has arrived.

Won't the Millennium Falcon release absolutely flip the script on these numbers?
Have to wonder how many they'll sell at that price. It's hardly Xmas gift range is it.

There will be tidy profit in it no doubt.

The link specifically has an article about how 2016 had a record revenue. It's silly to expect constant (and increasing) growth.

This.

And this. However it seems that the Chinese companies are routing to that market so there is demand. If Lego can manage to produce that sets at lower risk they should (I hope) continue to come.

RIP
All lego sets will be worthless, the resell value will tank
*buys every set for $1 each*

I kinda envision a lego future with no licensed products, that shit ain't cheap, Disney must charge a shit load, damn that mouse

Lego without Star Wars? Sorry, not happening.

And the last years proved that licensed sets sell a lot, Batman Movie was a big hit, so was the Disney minifiguras. And Harry Potter of course will be.

I have loved the absolutely massive sets these past two years, but there have been so many that are piece count/price record breaking that it is difficult/impossible to keep up with them. Also, when you have so many record breaking sized sets releasing in one year, it kind of takes away from their specialness. Anything over 3000 used to be a huge deal. It just feels like we expect it now.

papluh

Dark times ahead :) Can't wait to see how the planned changes will impact our LUG.

Don't pre-apologize any cuts with 'dark times' news.
The RLUG support was way better years ago when the TLG numbers were way lower.
RLUGs are still doing a service that is way cheaper than they would pay to any PR or ad company. And TLG does not even has to pay with cash, but mostly just products. And majority of those is still purchased by RLUG, the price being a fraction of sticker but still close to production. So TLG is not really losing much or any money on the Community.

As for the results.
They still have about 30% profit, 30% for a company that is bigger then either of the competition. And LEGO business is still mostly based on one type of product. For the 1H2017 Mattel is also down ~6%, but they are over hundred millions in loss ! Hasbro is some 6-7% up, but their profit is still around 10%. And one of their better going products is Hasbro Gaming, something that LEGO does not have (the games are just licenses).

It is nowhere close to the dark times of 2000s

valkyre

Dark times ahead :) Can't wait to see how the planned changes will impact our LUG.

About time they start realizing that shit like Death Star redesign with barely any difference to the previous one and an increase of 100$ are unacceptable to the general public and most wont buy. Same for Hoth and a number of other overpriced sets.

Their pricing policy is just bad and the hoarders and bricklink are starting to become problems.

It is very sad for all the people that have to lose their jobs because of this, but it was coming for a while now, and it really is time for the Lego bubble to deflate a bit.

The Lego Freemakers series confuses me. Not because the cartoon is bad or anything, I've been watching it over the last few days and it's actually pretty good for a show clearly aimed at little kids. But it's a show aimed at little kids, however, all the sets themed around the show are not really priced for small children, or simple enough builds for small children, and that, I don't really understand.

Where's the sub-20 dollar boxes kids might be able to actually afford?

Also all of the sets from the series look awful, which is really strange considering the entire show is one giant Lego Star Wars commercial. They can't even be bothered to give Roger a printed piece for his back, which should be the easiest thing in the world to do...

About time they start realizing that shit like Death Star redesign with barely any difference to the previous one and an increase of 100$ are unacceptable to the general public and most wont buy. Same for Hoth and a number of other overpriced sets.

Their pricing policy is just bad and the hoarders and bricklink are starting to become problems.

It is very sad for all the people that have to lose their jobs because of this, but it was coming for a while now, and it really is time for the Lego bubble to deflate a bit.

I guess, being in the US, I'm kind of isolated from Lego's price problems, since they're not that expensive in the US.

The US doesn't really have something like the ridiculously overpriced Phantom just because it comes from a popular minifig. But stuff like that certainly isn't helping Lego outside of the US.

Fxp

Don't pre-apologize any cuts with 'dark times' news.
The RLUG support was way better years ago when the TLG numbers were way lower.
RLUGs are still doing a service that is way cheaper than they would pay to any PR or ad company. And TLG does not even has to pay with cash, but mostly just products. And majority of those is still purchased by RLUG, the price being a fraction of sticker but still close to production. So TLG is not really losing much or any money on the Community.

As for the results.
They still have about 30% profit, 30% for a company that is bigger then either of the competition. And LEGO business is still mostly based on one type of product. For the 1H2017 Mattel is also down ~6%, but they are over hundred millions in loss ! Hasbro is some 6-7% up, but their profit is still around 10%. And one of their better going products is Hasbro Gaming, something that LEGO does not have (the games are just licenses).

It is nowhere close to the dark times of 2000s

Yeah, I remember LUG support being way better just 4-5 years ago. Hopefully those times will return but maybe reset means cutting LUG costs as well :(

I guess, being in the US, I'm kind of isolated from Lego's price problems, since they're not that expensive in the US.

The US doesn't really have something like the ridiculously overpriced Phantom just because it comes from a popular minifig. But stuff like that certainly isn't helping Lego outside of the US.
That's US pricing hes talking about. Lego has been getting worse and worse with star wars prices. Not as bad as some places in Europe or Australia sure, but The TLJ bomber is $110 for 750 pieces. The walker is $150 for 1300 pieces. Generally most star wars sets are $20-30 overpriced now. People say it's cause of licensing fees but I think theyre just marking them up due to higher demand since kids love star wars.

Luckily all the other themes besides City have good prices usually

ghostmind

LEGO couldn't continue with the growth pace they have been on, and although it is unfortunate that some will lose their jobs, its healthy for LEGO to examine their processes and product and make changes, to both refine and refresh.

I think one of the positives, as mentioned earlier, is that LEGO is not beholden to shareholders, so they won't make knee-jerk moves to accommodate them or maximize their dividend.

I'm optimistically looking forward to what these changes may bring.

DonShula

I usually put on something Star Wars. Watched Rogue One while I did a bunch of RO sets.

I watched Curb Your Enthusiasm while I did BB-8.

Lately I've been doing a lot of sorting (hours upon hours) with HGTV on. Never know when you'll get some nice storage ideas.

The link specifically has an article about how 2016 had a record revenue. It's silly to expect constant (and increasing) growth. But at least Lego is a private company, so there shouldn't be as many neurotic shareholders to please.

Not at all unless they produce smaller quantities which means a lot of people missing out in the sets. Speculators would love that. Last time I was at LEGO store the huge $150+ took up a large portion of the shelves. They didnt even have room for small older Star Wars battle packs smehcih they had to keep in the back.

As much as I appreciate the giant collector sets for AFOLS, I've felt overwhelmed and forced to drop some off my list due to amount they are putting out.

Ryuuroden

Shout out to Ponn and other legoGaffers in the possible path of the storm, I'll pray for your safety and that Irma turns out to be a big phony or takes the path of least damage.

hmmblah

LEGO Shop online takes forever to ship. Tempted to cancel my Palace Cinema order and just going with Amazon.

Yeah that's usually the case. This time I got lucky though. Ordered Old Fishing Store on Friday and it made it to me Saturday with the free shipping option. I wasn't expecting it until Wednesday-Thursday of this week.

Experien

Yeah that's usually the case. This time I got lucky though. Ordered Old Fishing Store on Friday and it made it to me Saturday with the free shipping option. I wasn't expecting it until Wednesday-Thursday of this week.

Wow, that is amazing. They still haven't shipped out my order yet they emailed me saying it shipped from Friday at midnight.

Still waiting on a pick a brick order of 180 sand green tiles. Said it shipped Wednesday but haven't gotten an update since. Seems stuck at " shipment tendered" in some town called strykow

Should have done bricklink lol

Still waiting on a pick a brick order of 180 sand green tiles. Said it shipped Wednesday but haven't gotten an update since. Seems stuck at " shipment tendered" in some town called strykow

Should have done bricklink lol

It will take a long time for the PAB order to come. Like a few weeks most likely.

papluh

I think PaB is faster than BaP :D

translation
Pick a Brick is the limited choice directly on Shop @ Home page, it should come from some warehouse in Poland (Strykow sound like Polish name ;) )

Bricks and Pieces is ordered on the lego.com page in Replacement bricks - Buy bricks section. It is shipped from Billund some time ago it was the same place as real replacement parts.
It can really take long, last time it was like one month for me, ordered 4th July, got invoiced = confirmation 21st July and the regular letter took 1.5 week trip through Europe.

Taisaijin

I don't see how..

oqSM8Do.jpg

Wait wait wait I just realized, we're getting a second Lego Batman CMF set, but there's not even rumors of a second Disney CMF set?

What kind of unjust world is this

Wait wait wait I just realized, we're getting a second Lego Batman CMF set, but there's not even rumors of a second Disney CMF set?

What kind of unjust world is this

There wasn't a LEGO Disney movie is why.

But at least we are most likely getting a Harry Potter CMF series. That is going to be HUGE.

It's too bad they can't do a Star Wars series, but I kind of understand why.

Unless it's a promo freebie, all Star Wars figures must come with some kind of vehicle, or it's considered an "action figure" which Lego does not have the rights to sell.

I wonder if Star Wars BrickHeadz would fly. I know that POP figures have to be bobble heads with Star Wars stuff so it isn't an "action figure", but since you would build a BrickHead would it skirt by?

ghostmind

I wonder if Star Wars BrickHeadz would fly. I know that POP figures have to be bobble heads with Star Wars stuff so it isn't an "action figure", but since you would build a BrickHead would it skirt by?

Star Wars BrickHeadz are on the way. We'll get some at the end of the year, and more in the Spring.

Falcon more than half paid off
Sold those posters for $80 too so shout out to lego store for giving me all 3 for buying the UCS Tie Fighter

I'm still debating waiting until double VIP points on October 10th

They will fall in the same category as the SW Constructors, they are "buildable figures" not action figures. I wonder if there is a loop hole here since technically the minifigs are buildable too, but for sure Lego will be sued and will loss since head-torso-arms-legs are the principle of action figures.

Jimrpg

LEGO has been doing exceedingly well for years, it can't be nothing but growth and new records all the time, especially for a toy company. No reason for concern.

That's not how the corporate world works. Most shareholders want to see growth whatever it takes. Without growth, they have lost money on their shares and they will just take their investment elsewhere. Not only that but there will be trickle effects down the line. You might even see retailers stock less sets as they'd be more risk averse.

Anyway Lego are in a bit of a tricky situation, their prices are already pretty expensive as it is so I wonder where they go from here. They'd have to branch out into other types of businesses. Expect Lego hotels or something like that.

Top Bottom