• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT6| We Only Build in Black. And Sometimes Very Dark Grey.

That's not how the corporate world works. Most shareholders want to see growth whatever it takes. Without growth, they have lost money on their shares and they will just take their investment elsewhere. Not only that but there will be trickle effects down the line. You might even see retailers stock less sets as they'd be more risk averse.

Anyway Lego are in a bit of a tricky situation, their prices are already pretty expensive as it is so I wonder where they go from here. They'd have to branch out into other types of businesses. Expect Lego hotels or something like that.

Lego is a private company, so no insane pressure from shareholders.

I dont want to wait two more weeks for my PaB order so I just ordered the pieces again on bricklink. Was half the cost even with shipping. I'll finally have this MOC project done early next week hopefully.

Haines

Banned
So falcon is strictly sold through lego right?

So the chance of a discount will be what? Max 20% off in years time? That how this works?

So were better off just buying it day1?

I ask because i think i might closet this set, but if its going to sit in my closet, than i might as well wait for a sale. But maybe a sale wont even come. Im not sure how the fuck sales work on 900 dollar sets lol

I want it for my boy in a couple years time, and im worried scalpers will buy them all

Many of us missed the last UCS Millenium Falcon released in 2007. It went for $500 retail but skyrocketed to several thousand dollars in the aftermarket. This is why many of us a jumping on this Falcon as it is relatively cheap compared to aftermarket prices. Chances are they will do another release in another 10 years or so. Hopefully you will be in a better finacial position by then. Or better yet, it stays in the market for 4-5 years and you cam afford it then. Death Star was available i think for 5+ years and was replaced with a newer one right afterwards.

This gets me thinking..... Which past sets are prime candidates for a reissue? Which forthcoming or speculative sets would be prime candidates for the deluxe treatment this Millenium Falcon is getting? I would think a Star Destroyer or Jabba's Palace. Perhaps a Mon Cal capitol ship.

And, I was wondering at this point in the game who puts the more consistent output of quality in Star Wars merchandise, Hasbro's action figure line, or the Lego line? I feel in recent years, Hasbro's been getting cheap. Are they de-emphasizing their 3 inch line in favor of 6 inch figures at this point?

Anyway, I'm seriously considering starting up a Lego collection. A lot of the smaller sets don't appeal to me, though. Millenium Falcon looks sick. And the Death Star could use a revision. Does it come with spherical paneling to make it resemble its exterior?

otapnam

That's not how the corporate world works. Most shareholders want to see growth whatever it takes. Without growth, they have lost money on their shares and they will just take their investment elsewhere. Not only that but there will be trickle effects down the line. You might even see retailers stock less sets as they'd be more risk averse.

Anyway Lego are in a bit of a tricky situation, their prices are already pretty expensive as it is so I wonder where they go from here. They'd have to branch out into other types of businesses. Expect Lego hotels or something like that.

If they had tiered lego set of the month program that would be cool.

Like those clothing subs but it's legos. Maybe a 20 /50 / 100 option lol. And by doing that u get more vip stuff? I'm pretty sure the hardcore would be down

LEGO being the largest toy company in the world hitting a growth ceiling and dropping 5% is not a big deal as long as it's not a yearly trend. As someone mentioned it coming after a record year of sales.

What I think LEGO needs to worry about is Mega Construx now part of Mattel. LEGO has a lot of nostalgia factor for older people like me. But for kids today, Mega Bloks/Construx will have that same nostalgia for them. They will become future AFOM (Adult Fans of Mega)

Halo is the Star Wars IP for Mega Construx. Or is interest in Halo fading and Destiny is more popular? LEGO won't compete with Mega Cx in the violent IP area so Mega can continue to dominate there. Also, I love minifigs, but I think Mega figures are basically mini action figures which I think have a lot more playability due to poseability. I've heard the quality of Mega bricks has improved and with that price increases.

I've watched Jangs review on some of the Mega Construx Pokemon sets and I'm tempted check out a set or two. I've also bought some of the TMNT collector sets (in my backlog). If Mega can snag Nintendo IP, it would be huge IMO. I continue to wonder why LEGO and Nintendo never worked together on something. It's a perfect match.

This gets me thinking..... Which past sets are prime candidates for a reissue? Which forthcoming or speculative sets would be prime candidates for the deluxe treatment this Millenium Falcon is getting? I would think a Star Destroyer or Jabba's Palace. Perhaps a Mon Cal capitol ship.

And, I was wondering at this point in the game who puts the more consistent output of quality in Star Wars merchandise, Hasbro's action figure line, or the Lego line? I feel in recent years, Hasbro's been getting cheap. Are they de-emphasizing their 3 inch line in favor of 6 inch figures at this point?

Anyway, I'm seriously considering starting up a Lego collection. A lot of the smaller sets don't appeal to me, though. Millenium Falcon looks sick. And the Death Star could use a revision. Does it come with spherical paneling to make it resemble its exterior?

AT-AT I think would be a prime candidate. Imperial Shuttle maybe around 2020 (10 year mark). I'm wondering if the the Last Jedi and the sequel to that are huge hits that LEGO may start doing UCS sets of stuff from VII. VIII, and IX. If AT-M6 sells a lot, I can see that becoming a UCS in a couple years.

What lego return policy? If i bought a falcon do they let you return it sealed?

You've got 90 days I think
Honestly feel like they will slap this with an all sales final , to fight the scalpers x to not have a bunch in store.
Resellers will flock to this even for $100 profit
I saw a listing for $1000 free shipping
Fees are like 5-10%
Shipping would be like $50 for this thing so you don't make shit on it but flippers don't care.

I'm honestly about to buy it day 1 and then buy one on double VIP points day and return the day 1 version

Or might just risk it and wait until double VIP points

If they gave a certificate like last time I'd buy it day 1 though and keep it

Given that the 40th anniversary of ESB is soon, I would venture the AT-AT being the next UCS set. That or maybe a regular Star Destroyer.

Who knows, maybe Bespin?

AT-AT I think would be a prime candidate. Imperial Shuttle maybe around 2020 (10 year mark). I'm wondering if the the Last Jedi and the sequel to that are huge hits that LEGO may start doing UCS sets of stuff from VII. VIII, and IX. If AT-M6 sells a lot, I can see that becoming a UCS in a couple years.

Would you say re-issues are a good bet for discontinued sets? I assume they could bring back an improved X-Wing, or an improved Millenium Falcon in 2027 for that matter. Star Wars seems like a safe bet for Lego that they can keep this ride going for awhile.

I saw the Death Star II USC and for some reason it gave me this weird, nauseating feeling. Very OCD-ish for some reason that I can't explain.

What about a Deluxe Jabba's Palace, or would that be next to impossible?

willp2003

I'm hoping for an improved UCS ISD, but would also like a tantive (which I'm surprised hasn't even come out at any scale, after featuring in Rebels so much).

Looks like my BB8 should get delivered today, just have to see where Yodel will leave it as that can be a lottery!

Koren

So falcon is strictly sold through lego right?
Depends on where you're living, but SW UCS sets are in most stores here, so they could stock the Falcon (although the price should make many think twice)

So the chance of a discount will be what? Max 20% off in years time? That how this works?
If it's a failure, it could drop in price, but in other cases, I would say it's unlikely to see big discounts. But it's still anybody's guess...

Osahi

Had forgotten my wife was out last night, so contrary to my plans, I just finished BB-8's second half in one go.

What an amazing set. Both play features are suprising and plain perfect (I just wonder if their is a possible, simple mod to make the door close too when you retract the lighter), and the model looks great on display too.

The build has repetitive parts, but not too bad as every 'face' of BB-8 is somewhat different. It is mostly stacking plates on plates though, and that can get tedious at times. The whole thing is studs in all directions too.

I think it is one of my favourite Star Wars models to date, just barely following the most recent AT-AT and UCS Slave 1

papluh

LEGO being the largest toy company in the world hitting a growth ceiling and dropping 5% is not a big deal as long as it's not a yearly trend. As someone mentioned it coming after a record year of sales.

What I think LEGO needs to worry about is Mega Construx now part of Mattel. LEGO has a lot of nostalgia factor for older people like me. But for kids today, Mega Bloks/Construx will have that same nostalgia for them. They will become future AFOM (Adult Fans of Mega)

Halo is the Star Wars IP for Mega Construx. Or is interest in Halo fading and Destiny is more popular? LEGO won't compete with Mega Cx in the violent IP area so Mega can continue to dominate there. Also, I love minifigs, but I think Mega figures are basically mini action figures which I think have a lot more playability due to poseability. I've heard the quality of Mega bricks has improved and with that price increases.

I've watched Jangs review on some of the Mega Construx Pokemon sets and I'm tempted check out a set or two. I've also bought some of the TMNT collector sets (in my backlog). If Mega can snag Nintendo IP, it would be huge IMO. I continue to wonder why LEGO and Nintendo never worked together on something. It's a perfect match.

Mattel is lot worse off than LEGO, if you add up their Q1 and Q2 reports they ended up in similar sales loss as LEGO (citing the same markets ). And totally they did not even turned profit but went ~150m USD in loss, while LEGO still keeps their ~30% operating profit.

MEGA is also mentioned there as part of construction toys division which went down about 30% in the 1H and the total numbers are nowhere the total sales or LEGO sales. I'd say how corporate works, with loss on total, they would hardly invest in MEGA with the purpose to fight LEGO.

And just to have the whole info, Hasbro was up, but their operating profit is nowhere near LEGO. Plus it seems the biggest gain was done on 'gaming' division and even 3rd party licenses (franchise) went down.

DBT85

Will email interesting to see if S@H limit you to one MF per person. You'd hope so as they are surely going to be quite limited. Wouldn't be surprised to see them on eBay for £1000 once they go OOS.

I'm hoping for an improved UCS ISD, but would also like a tantive (which I'm surprised hasn't even come out at any scale, after featuring in Rebels so much).

Looks like my BB8 should get delivered today, just have to see where Yodel will leave it as that can be a lottery!

Also hoping for a new ISD, certainly more than a new SSD. I would also love a new Y wing too as there's no way I'm buying the original.

My BB8 is also coming today after my Saturn V arrived yesterday. Expecting my Trooper/speeder tomorrow and probably Death star on Friday. Just waiting on the backordered Snowspeeder to come back now. Apparently it'll ship by the 16th. Hopefully sooner so I can use the points on the Falcon.

Will email interesting to see if S@H limit you to one MF per person. You'd hope so as they are surely going to be quite limited. Wouldn't be surprised to see them on eBay for £1000 once they go OOS.

Also hoping for a new ISD, certainly more than a new SSD. I would also love a new Y wing too as there's no way I'm buying the original.

My BB8 is also coming today after my Saturn V arrived yesterday. Expecting my Trooper/speeder tomorrow and probably Death star on Friday. Just waiting on the backordered Snowspeeder to come back now. Apparently it'll ship by the 16th. Hopefully sooner so I can use the points on the Falcon.
I know you ordered on different days to get all the posters, this might not work out as planned, I ordered my BB-8 on the 1st but I got a different poster when it arrived today.

DBT85

I know you ordered on different days to get all the posters, this might not work out as planned, I ordered my BB-8 on the 1st but I got a different poster when it arrived today.

I'll be complaining then as my order clearly says poster 1 2 or 3. I don't even want to sell them, want to frame them to put up in my 3 week olds nursery lol.
Edit:
Anndddd they sent poster 2 with my bb8 order. Fml.

Spoke to them on chat and they asked me to wait until the others have arrived to be sure it's not just a mix up.

Boogiepop

Completed the Town Hall I ebayed! It was pretty much 100% (was missing the small like, 4 piece potted plant thing on the first floor, but I was easily able to assemble that from parts I had sitting around.) I actually unintentionally built it in the weirdest way. Like, I wasn't 100% sure I wanted to deconstruct and rebuild everything (but I did end up doing so), so I started with the roof as a test, as that was the smallest bit. Then I figured "eh, may as well work my way down at this point"... but at some point floors 2 and 3 got mixed up. So I built the Town Hall roof-> floor 2-> floor 3-> floor 1.

Anyway, the front of the Town Hall is stunning of course... but anyone else find the interior particularly meh? Like, it's probably not fair to compare it to stuff that came later, but it kind of felt like a much more mediocre version of what Brick Bank pulled off (with the opening between floors and the office and stuff). In particular... what's the deal with those little half-hearted stool/chair things that are just little squares? Felt... not so great. Still love the look of the thing as a whole, but the interior honestly kind of let me down and felt like the worst finished interior of the modulars to me (IE Cafe Corner obviously has nothing. Don't have Green Grocer to compare though, to be fair).

BTW, just out of curiosity: am I weird for stripping a part a set shipped to me complete to rebuild it myself, or is that the norm? Felt kind of odd doing it, but I wanted the building experience.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Girlfriend got me a mix of old and new for my birthday last week. The AT-ST which I've been meaning to get for bloody ages, and it's so friggin' good, so poseable and looks great on display.

Then the original Hogwarts Express, she knew I'd had it at one point but it's one of the few childhood sets that went years ago, super fun to see that again.

A bit random, the Hogwarts Board Game, we put it together and had a couple of goes at it and I actually thought as a simple little board game it was pretty fun, we're going to try it with 4 people soon though because with 2 people you can invalidate the other person's move too much (what I'm saying there may make sense if you've played it?)

DBT85

BTW, just out of curiosity: am I weird for stripping a part a set shipped to me complete to rebuild it myself, or is that the norm? Felt kind of odd doing it, but I wanted the building experience.
I would have done the same. The fun is in the building!

Haines

Banned
ATST is one of my fav builds so far since i started lego and lives up to its hype. My kid just loves shotting its lasers.

He hasnt even seen it in movie form yet, haha

DonShula

I would have done the same. Lego for me is 90% building and 10% displaying.

DonShula

ATST is one of my fav builds so far since i started lego and lives up to its hype. My kid just loves shotting its lasers.

He hasnt even seen it in movie form yet, haha

My son loves it also. He's taken it apart and modified it and used the doors for other creations. It's a really cool set.

Haines

Banned
I would have done the same. Lego for me is 90% building and 10% displaying.

Yup.

All of my lego will be torn down and rebuilt over and over for sure, unless its something like my 4000 piece technic. Than i will just do both builds it offers.

I was actually toying with the idea of lending sets to other people (family) that might enjoy doing a build.

Displaying is nice, but building is where its at.

DBT85

Yup.

All of my lego will be torn down and rebuilt over and over for sure, unless its something like my 4000 piece technic. Than i will just do both builds it offers.

I was actually toying with the idea of lending sets to other people (family) that might enjoy doing a build.

Like loaning your disk based media, nobody can be trusted.

I'll be complaining then as my order clearly says poster 1 2 or 3. I don't even want to sell them, want to frame them to put up in my 3 week olds nursery lol.
Edit:

Spoke to them on chat and they asked me to wait until the others have arrived to be sure it's not just a mix up.
Honestly you’ll probably end up with multiple copies of the same day, either day 2 or 3.

I only ordered BB8 on day 1 and got day 2’s poster. Which is probably what they had in the warehouse when they packed my parcel.

willp2003

Edit:

Just opened mine and I got number 2 as well. Wasn't collecting all of them, so not bothered. Thought it would be bigger though!

DBT85

Honestly you’ll probably end up with multiple copies of the same day, either day 2 or 3.

I only ordered BB8 on day 1 and got day 2’s poster. Which is probably what they had in the warehouse when they packed my parcel.
Wondering if they just got the 1s and 2s mixed up as it seems lots that ordered on Friday got number 2.

Also bearing in mind they even advertised that you could order each day to collect them all.

I'd there anyone here that ordered on the Friday and got #1?

papluh

Yup.

I did the loaning stuff few times, but only for sets that can be easily bricklinked back or I was planning to just put them in parts bin.

about 2 years ago a friend's boy cracked his vertebrae or something and had to be like 2 months in bed, I rotated few sets to them. But from the last batch, they are still finding and picking up the pieces from their own LEGO pile to have the sets ready for return :D

In unrelated news. I was able to score 3 of the TLBM Bricktober boxes, not a easy task. It was sold out locally on day one. And in shops I had to go through 3 of those and was lucky in the last one. In one of those they told me they got 32 pieces for whole week. Now they sell for 30+ Euros. I think I will be able to charge some petrol money for 2 RLUG member that I got the spare ones.

Haines

Banned
if i wanted to buy falcon from a retail lego store...

What goes down? Never even been to one.

Wait in line for an hour at store open?

DonShula

if i wanted to buy falcon from a retail lego store...

What goes down? Never even been to one.

Wait in line for an hour at store open?

Yep, wait in line. How long of a line is anyone's guess. Mine has a Starbucks right in front of it so it's easy to get there early and then get up to go in line when traffic starts to pick up.

Koren

I bought Saturn V at one early-mid morningish on launch day and they didn't seem short of stock.
I bought it something like two weeks after the launch day in the Lego Store in downtown Paris, and there were stock. But the Falcon is a far more expensive set, so the stocks will probably be far lower, and the demand is anybody's guess...

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Wondering if they just got the 1s and 2s mixed up as it seems lots that ordered on Friday got number 2.

Also bearing in mind they even advertised that you could order each day to collect them all.

I'd there anyone here that ordered on the Friday and got #1?

Got a pic of each of them?

Ponn

Banned
Man it took awhile for Lego to ship my OFS order. Says delivery for Friday, that's cutting it close. At least I got something to build during the hurricane. In fact since I can't depend on power I think I'm going to plan on just getting started on my Halloween display this whole weekend.

willp2003

Got a pic of each of them?

Excuse the poor quality....
eQvDWxA.jpg

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Think I have 1. I'll check when I get home. If you don't get it with your order let me know and you can have mine

Edit- yep got the top one

Edit2: I can sell this silly scarif stormtrooper for £15!? Might get that and the AT AT with strange feet onto bricklink sharpish. Every little helps

DBT85

Think I have 1. I'll check when I get home. If you don't get it with your order let me know and you can have mine

Edit- yep got the top one

Edit2: I can sell this silly scarif stormtrooper for £15!? Might get that and the AT AT with strange feet onto bricklink sharpish. Every little helps

Most kind! I'll see what arrives in the other orders and what Lego say if it's wrong. Really appreciate it though!

Top Bottom