• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Leisure Suit Larry Kickstarter by Replay Games [Ended, $673K funded]

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
It's also the fact that the adventure game genre has been more or less filled to the brim with half-good, mediocre and bad Sherlock Holmes games since the genre's decline. A new Sherlock Holmes game is not something the adventuregame nut is asking for.

It's also the fact that the adventure game genre has been more or less filled to the brim with half-good, mediocre and bad Sherlock Holmes games since the genre's decline. A new Sherlock Holmes game is not something the adventuregame nut is asking for.

That's very true and, while the original Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective games were somewhat interesting and reasonably fun, they were very forgettable and probably not at the upper end of the Sherlock Holmes game scale. I may buy them if he does get them completed with more traditional funding, as he stated in his latest update, but I don't foresee huge sales for the game, and they definitely are not as memorable as Gabriel Knight, Monkey Island, Leisure Suit Larry, or even David Marsh's other games.

test_account

XP-39C²
Replay games has said it isn't a straight up remake and new stuff will be added. How much more depends on how much money they get over 500k
Interesting, i wonder what it could be. I wonder if there will be much time to add stuff though. It says "estimated delivery Oct 2012". That is only about 6 months.

krae_man

Does Kickstarter have rules against backing your own project to make sure it gets over the hump? Not that I have any evidence of that happening here or anything, just curious.

I'm looking forward to this game.

Does Kickstarter have rules against backing your own project to make sure it gets over the hump? Not that I have any evidence of that happening here or anything, just curious.

I was kinda wondering about that too. I noticed that there was $700.00 left to go in funding and one person pushed it to its goal with a $700 pledge.

Anyway, I'm happy this one still made its goal. I can't complain with more point and click adventures.

Minsc

Gold Member

I'm looking forward to this game.

It's definitely not a good idea (cash advance), from their FAQ:

I pledged to my own project from another account, and now my Amazon Payments account is canceled?!

Warning! Credit card rules forbid project creators from paying themselves. Any pledges made by a project creator to themselves may cause Amazon to cancel a project creator’s Amazon account, making it impossible to receive or remove funds.

While Kickstarter prevents project creators from backing their own projects from the same Kickstarter account, Amazon will detect if the project creator uses a new Kickstarter account and/or a new Amazon account to make the pledge. Amazon looks for the credit card info as well as other primary information to determine if a party is attempting to pay itself. This is not an Amazon-specific policy — this type of transaction is considered an attempt to create a "cash advance" and is forbidden by all credit card companies.

Please note that Amazon may not detect this action until a project succeeds and they attempt to collect funds. While the project will appear to succeed on Kickstarter, Amazon will later suspend any Amazon Payments accounts controlled by the project creator, making it impossible to receive/remove funds.

Sounds like a quick way to not get a cent of the funding, and permanently lose your Amazon Payments account.

test_account

XP-39C²
I was kinda wondering about that too. I noticed that there was $700.00 left to go in funding and one person pushed it to its goal with a $700 pledge.

Anyway, I'm happy this one still made its goal. I can't complain with more point and click adventures.
My guess is that this person wanted to be the one who pushed it over to $500k. I acutally tried that myself, but when i checked the website it was about $300 over, so i missed it. I wouldnt have pledged $700 though, but i did pledge $100 now, even after $500k was reached.

My guess is that this person wanted to be the one who pushed it over to $500k. I acutally tried that myself, but when i checked the website it was about $300 over, so i missed it. I wouldnt have pledged $700 though, but i did pledge $100 now, even after $500k was reached.

Yeah, you're probably right.

Sounds like a quick way to not get a cent of the funding, and permanently lose you're Amazon Payments account.

Good thing to know that a system like this is put in place.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Yay.

Here's to hoping that there will be console releases for this game.

ZoddGutts

It wouldn't make sense right now to throw in their own money with 6+ days still left. Well unless they plan on adding a paypal and they can't really do that till they hit their funding goal.

I haven't been following this very closely so I've been wondering; how did he convince people that the game wouldn't be made without Kickstarter? And did he clarify what exactly the terms of the licensing agreement are? Will any revenue be shared? Just curious.

ZoddGutts

Al Lowe in this vid says that they couldn't raise the funds

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=fF_yvZ5l0oI

In the Faq section:
This must be the #1 question asked all over the internet today! We announced in October that we secured the development and publishing rights to the original Leisure Suit Larry franchise (series) of games. We showed a 1-room "proof of concept" that helped us secure the rights, so we showed those images in our press release at the time. We originally planned on getting VC (venture capital) funding so we can re-make the entire franchise from scratch for all the new platforms with the best graphics style, voice overs, orchestrated sound, etc. The response we received shocked us. This is what they literally told us "we like your company but we want nothing to do with Leisure Suit Larry since it will tarnish our good name". So it took us a few months to re-think our strategy and when we went to DICE to do the interview with Spike TV, we saw what amazing success our friends at Double Fine had and Tim convinced us to do the same.

El-Suave

I changed my pledge from $100 to $15, now that the game is secured. That gives me the option to also back Shadowrun. Despite their explanations, something still doesn't feel right about this campaign. I can't put my finger on it though, and I'm glad they get a shot at making the game.
If this turns out well and they do get to make a new Larry game, then I'd be on board with a more healthy pledge.

I enjoyed Larry 1-3 back in the day, but I've always hated what they did with design after that. In the first three games Larry is just an ordinary guy, but in the later games he looks like a cartoon character that doesn't fit in. They seem to take it one step further for this remake, and he looks more ridiculous than ever.

I still think it's neat that they managed to get the money for this, even if I don't really like the style. Al Lowe seems to be pretty passionate about this, and hopefully they can make a brand new LSL like he wants to.

I decided to jump on the bandwagon. I've never played a Leisure Suit Larry game, so I'm pretty damn excited to try to revamped version of the first one.

celebi23

Just wanted to let everyone know that there are 12 hours left. I'm pledging $100 in the morning. Really happy that they've exceeded the goal.

test_account

XP-39C²
Man, i almost forgot to add $15 for international shipping to my pledge. That would have ment that i wouldnt have gotten the package that i payed for since i pledge exactly $100 (would have gotten the lower package instead then, since it would have been seen as $85 pledge + $15 for shipping).

EDIT: Why is Wario64 banned by the way?

Will follow this with interest. Played and enjoyed the first 3 greatly, but like others, lost interest after. I hope they include a 'hardcore' text input mode ... they can always expand that to support Kinect or voice control or something later on, I bet they can get Microsoft to sponsor the Kinect support ;) And it will work on all touch devices with keyboards etc.

I always have to think how the very first Leisure Suit Larry in some ways resembles the kind of freedom that you have in huge games like GTA IV. I bet if you had the GTA IV engine, you could create a fantastic Leisure Suit Larry with it without even changing all that much. It could be an Episode.

In fact, if Al Lowe went to Rockstar with just that idea, they might just make it happen ;)

But yeah, I'd love it to have the freedom of just typing in text. If you must make it more user friendly, drop in some kind of intellisense as an option. :D I want to be able to get into a free for all cuss-fight with the game's narrator again! It's one of the things I miss the most, and it defined the character of the different sierra games back then: Leisure Suit Larry would swear back, Kings Quest would berate you, Space Quest would respond nonsensical or with a reference to Leisure Suit Larry or something, and Police Quest would fine you.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
... that ... is an odd choice for a developer for an adventure game.

"N-Fusion has made games such as KumaWar, Elite Warriors: Vietnam, and Cabela’s Big Game Hunter 6."

I kinda really liked the original art in the Kickstarter pledge, hope it doesn't get changed too much. The overseas studio get a bit of a rough deal.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Some quick research uncovered the following from the official message board:

FYI.. I have gotten confirmation from both Paul and Josh that the new art from that news story IS indeed by the new developer..

josh@replaygames said:
In Tel Aviv and during the due diligence phase, quite a few red flags were raised about the prospect of working with Adventure Mob. While we adored the demo work they did for LSL1, and while we had no reason to question their commitment to the project, we also had to acknowledge that, with absolutely no track record to look at, AM was going to be a very big risk for us.

My personal feeling was that it was a risk possibly worth taking with our *own* money, if that’s how we were funding the game. But we aren’t putting our own money into the game, we’re putting Kickstarter pledges into it. To me, we should absolutely not take this kind of risk with other people’s money. I would love to work with Oran on a future Larry game, but not until AM has a track record, and not with Kickstarter funds.

http://forums.replaygamesinc.com/viewtopic.pp?f=8&t=383

s_mirage

Weird choice of new dev. I hope some good comes of this as it looks a little like they've thrown Adventure Mob under a bus. Losing this contract surely can't be good for them.

epmode

The update also talks about how they want to continue remaking all of the LSL games. I backed this only because Al Lowe was involved but I'm feeling bad about the whole thing.

Frogacuda

Banned
This is on Steam Greenlight right now. What happened to the old way of getting games on Steam? Does Valve just push everyone who isn't major label onto this fucking Greenlight thing now?

Anyway, I'm posting it in this thread instead of the Greenlight thread because it also has a trailer up showing the game's current progress. Replay switched developers from Adventure Mob to N-Fusion a month or so in, so this looks totally different than the early pitch and (in my opinion) a lot better. Looks like the move to N-Fusion was a boon after all.

Top Bottom