• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lets decide the biggest bomb in video game history

What is the biggest bomb in video game history in your opinion?

• E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial

Votes: 102 18.5%
  • Anthem

Votes: 16 2.9%
  • Duke Nukem Forever

Votes: 13 2.4%
  • Mass Effect: Andromeda

Votes: 7 1.3%
  • LawBreakers

Votes: 4 0.7%
  • Marvel's Avengers

Votes: 5 0.9%
  • Babylon’s Fall

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • Too Human

Votes: 4 0.7%
  • Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League

Votes: 20 3.6%
  • Concord

Votes: 360 65.3%
  • Forspoken

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • Other

Votes: 16 2.9%

• Total voters

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Halo infinite
KoxZPSi.png

I think Concord would have killed someone for numbers like that

Humdinger

The availability bias with respect to Concord makes objective assessment unlikely. We're too close to it.

I voted for ET. It's hard to top a game that required massive landfill dumps and played a role in an industry-wide crash. Yes, Concord was an expensive failure, but Sony is fine, and Corcord's failure will not do any damage to the industry (I'd argue that it will probably help it).

If Star Citizen ever launches, we have our answer.
This makes me think people have no idea what a flop is (well, this and the posts that are defending the quality of some of the flops, which isn't the point at all.) Star Citizen doesn't need to sell a single copy after it "launches" because it's already been pre-funded. Whether or not all those people have been fleeced out of their money is another issue entirely.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Starfield? Not sure if this is intended as satire on fanboy warring or is fanboy warring.
Redfall or Hellblade 2 could be in the conversation but Starfield was one of the top sellers on Steam
I definitely wouldn't put Starfield on this list, but it sure looks like Starfield coming out of the gate like a wet fart triggered massive changes to Microsoft's plan and reliance on Xbox and GP going forward. In that context, I would be surprised if Concord doesn't have major consequences for Sony's business plans.

ET nearly sank the entire industry
Tbh the industry was in its infancy and the game did not even bomb, certainly sold multiple digit orders of magnitude more than Concord ever will. Atari just for whatever reason overestimated the demand preemptively by massive amounts. Seems unfair to me to consider it the biggest bomb when it was just severe funds mismanagement.

Concord though entirely lost every single cent ever put to it and it was never recoverable. The money wasted includes development cost for a big studio in an expensive location, marketing, costs of acquiring studio, TV show and the situation is still not finished. Now comes either burning ever more money through the massive studio to try to salvage the product, or the money spent closing down the studio and paying severance packages.

The potential range of all of that is quite wide, but insanely high in any case. 200-500 million, depending on how much was spent on the acquisition and the TV show episodes and how much Sony will still burn.

Hence Concord is by far the biggest bomb of all time.

Last edited:

Aenima

Stadia.

When it comes to triple A games, i dont remember any game bombing as hard as Concord did. I had very pessimistic expectations for the game, either for player count and time untill the servers would shut down, and the game still didnt even reached my already pessimistic expectations, getting a much lower player count and shutting down the servers much faster.

ET sold to what would be considered a great success if you compare the numbers sold to the playerbase at the time. ~1.5M sold/~4M playerbase.
As others have said, the biggest downfall was the cost of cartridge production. In a digital world, that would be a non-factor.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Either Concord or Avengers. I get the feeling Concord lost more money if the estimates in the OP are accurate.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
This makes me think people have no idea what a flop is
I was thinking the same thing. As in financial / commercial failure.

ET might have "crashed the industry" (it didn't, at least not on its own merits). However, Concord's revenue is now essentially $0. Even games that were in production for years and got cancelled before release (like Scalebound) wouldn't have lost as much money as Concord. On top of the financial losses, it's also done reputational damage to Sony, since it was released from a first party studio that had to apologize to the world and issue refunds mere weeks after release.

We also haven't seen the full effect of Concord's failure. We don't know exactly how it will change the business landscape of hero shooters, online only games, or games in general.

They can relaunch it with a new monetization scheme and new content and new designs and probably a new name but that would be a new product, not Concord.

Concord launched and died within a couple of weeks. What they do down the line with a relaunch is irrelevant.

Yeah, the one thing I noticed is that most people who attempt to describe the path to success for Concord coming back is to basically an entirely new and different game.

That's not saving a game. That's making a new game from the bones of a dead game. And added development cost for maybe it hitting. It would be a gamble and could not happen even within a year.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
E.T. probably costed peanuts to make compared to games nowadays. 1.5M copies sold is surprising, I didn't know it sold that well.

Concord wins by the 1), cost of buying the studio, 2) cost of making the game over 8 years, 3) such low numbers of copies sold, 4) they're still gonna pour more money in to save it, its not over! 2nd flop incoming?

ReyBrujo

Gold Member
Think about this than:

To make ET one man accepted a lot of money and worked like crazy for 5 weeks. One guy locked away for one month.

To make Concord hundreds of developers and adjacent people worked for many years, even if not the full 8 years; it was enough for them to forge friendships, maybe even marriages and kids during that time.

In the end at least a million people played ET, while Concord one week after release had less people playing it than the number it took to make it for those many years.

I believe this isn't the last time we will hear about it. Sony won't just say, "Meh, next project", they might probably rewrite code, they might redraw sprites, they might improve the game and might eventually relaunch. That 200m investment will return in a way or another and might probably recoup costs, who knows. In order to call something a failure one must know what happened with the game itself in 5, 10 years. That's why I put ET higher, because we effectively know they ended in a landfill. Concord? I know it's for the memes but personally I see nothing wrong in waiting to see what will happen in 10 years.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
sure but the one game is from a mega franchise, maybe at its peak the biggest in gaming, the other is a new ip.
Yeah well I am not going down the whole which game had more expectations road as thats all subjective and I could literally then name any game I wanted as I thought it would be bigger

8 years and 200+ million for a Sony 1st party game that had a lot of veteran game devs from big name studios for 2 weeks of being alive and then shut down and refunded, these are tangible numbers

I believe this isn't the last time we will hear about it. Sony won't just say, "Meh, next project", they might probably rewrite code, they might redraw sprites, they might improve the game and might eventually relaunch. That 200m investment will return in a way or another and might probably recoup costs, who knows. In order to call something a failure one must know what happened with the game itself in 5, 10 years. That's why I put ET higher, because we effectively know they ended in a landfill. Concord? I know it's for the memes but personally I see nothing wrong in waiting to see what will happen in 10 years.
In retrospect, they should've bundled the game with the console to reduce inventory. It would've given the consumer some kind of percieved value and might've sold some additional consoles as well.
Way better than polluting the landfills at the time

Akuji

Yeah well I am not going down the whole which game had more expectations road as thats all subjective and I could literally then name any game I wanted as I thought it would be bigger

8 years and 200+ million for a Sony 1st party game that had a lot of veteran game devs from big name studios for 2 weeks of being alive and then shut down and refunded, these are tangible numbers
what u say is correct but that is your take on it. the other guy just had another take on it.
Saying Halo Infinite flopped is not a subjective take, u need to be very fanboy defensive to say it didnt.
The amount of flop, we dont know. Took down alot of goodwill for the franchise, to just say " i cant put a number on it so it doesnt matter " is not the right way to handle these things as well.

foamdino

E.T. not even close.

No other game caused an entire business sector to crash and to have inventory buried in the desert.

All other flops trail in the dust of the uber-flop

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
what u say is correct but that is your take on it. the other guy just had another take on it.
Saying Halo Infinite flopped is not a subjective take, u need to be very fanboy defensive to say it didnt.
The amount of flop, we dont know. Took down alot of goodwill for the franchise, to just say " i cant put a number on it so it doesnt matter " is not the right way to handle these things as well.
Without a doubt Halo Infinite was a flop but it also wasn't taken offline after 2 weeks

imo Halo wasn't a ripple in the tsunami of the belly flop of Concord

Suicide squad made a 200 million hole in wb pocket. Officially.
We need the others negative roi to gauge the magnitude of bombs here.

sainraja

Brink was a pretty big bomb back in the day and relegated Splash Damage to being a support/porting studio

But I think official support lasted at least a year there.

Concord getting pulled this fast is something else, especially considering the game wasn’t broken/non-functional, it was just straight up rejected by the community largely for art design.
Sony made the call to pull the game. We don't yet know what will happen with the team and their game in the future. Easy or obvious predictions have already been made... studio is shutdown, the game isn't coming back.
If the game does come back, I hope they add something to it that makes it stand out from the crowd; because it wasn't that bad of a game, despite the design choices the team made. Some of the other things they could have easily improved upon.

Last edited:
Without a doubt Halo Infinite was a flop but it also wasn't taken offline after 2 weeks

imo Halo wasn't a ripple in the tsunami of the belly flop of Concord
I think they've at least course corrected with the change in leadership at 343.
If they release a new Halo, it won't have Bonnie Ross as the lead at 343, so I at least want to see what happens next with them.
With a new Firefight PVE mode being released, I will definitely jump back in.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I think they've at least course corrected with the change in leadership at 343.
If they release a new Halo, it won't have Bonnie Ross as the lead at 343, so I at least want to see what happens next with them.
With a new Firefight PVE mode being released, I will definitely jump back in.
Thats another thing about Halo they could release another game next year and with some minor tweaks it could still pull big numbers

How much would have to change for people to buy Concord 2?

SkylineRKR

E.T. not even close.

No other game caused an entire business sector to crash and to have inventory buried in the desert.

It didn't lol. The game was over stocked and sold well, but a string of bad quality software made the bubble implode. E.T. was its posterboy and straw that broke the camels back. It was a big name.

Concord lets see: Taken off shelves after 2 weeks, refunded. 0 revenue on a reportedly 100m budget. Thats quite the write off. Not to mention Sony is stuck with this studio for the time being.

E.T. not even close.

To you and everyone else saying E.T., look at this:

- E.T.’s budget was $10 million, which is close to $33 million today adjusted for inflation.

- E.T. initially sold over 2 million copies, prior to the returns. By the time the returns were processed, that number dropped to around half a million.

- Concord’s budget was between $100-200 million.

- Concord sold under 50k copies and is being shut down within 2 weeks of release.

I am usually one to avoid recency bias, but there is no mistaking it - Concord is the biggest bomb in gaming history.

Akuji

Thats another thing about Halo they could release another game next year and with some minor tweaks it could still pull big numbers

How much would have to change for people to buy Concord 2?
not the acomplishent of infinite.

concord was a giant flop, but it was a new IP that was mishandled dramaticly with funds like 20 times what it shouldve been and even then just bad decisions throughout.
But does it really matter? It was expensive for sony but they can take it. But nobody will say " damn concord was such a bad game i cant believe it " it will just be forgotten because its meaningless.

It depends how one personally defines flop for themselves. My overall vote goes to Mass Effect Andromeda after more thought on the subject.

As far as impact on gaming, it would be ET, since it led to a crash in the market. Of course, that wasn't actually ET's fault, cause 1.5M is great, but instead it was Atari's stupidity in ordering so many copies of the game in advance. In terms of sales, 100% has to be Babylon's Fall. 1K is pathetic.

Concord is just the most recent one, so sticks out in everyone's minds. It also helps illustrate its flop status that Sony decided to do the smart thing and not try to save it, wasting even more money, and instead pulled the plug.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

- E.T.’s budget was $10 million, which is close to $33 million today adjusted for inflation.

- E.T. initially sold over 2 million copies, prior to the returns. By the time the returns were processed, that number dropped to around half a million.

- Concord sold under 50k copies and is being shut down within 2 weeks of release.

I am usually one to avoid recency bias, but there is no mistaking it - Concord is the biggest bomb in gaming history.
Technically, concord's sales wont be zero.

But to show how bad the final sales will be compared to all the other games on the list which many sold millions, the final Concord sales will comprise of collectors, ebay flippers, and anyone who didnt know or forgot about refunding their digital copy.

There wont be one copy left on Earth held by a gamer to play since servers shut down tomorrow.

The game lasted two weeks. Even Babylons Fall servers lasted a year. My current toenails will last longer than Concord.

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Duke Nukem Forever does not belong on that list. Not a half bad game if you ask me.
Yeah its no. 1 for longest most protracted development hell but it did as well as anyone expected once it actually came out.

This is where I am at. It isn't so much to defend the historic flop ET or go for the flavor of the week.

It's more that Concord actually makes ET look far less of an abject failure when you hold up the metrics of both head to head. That is a fucking feat. The clusterfuck of ET that brought down an entire sector had a performance that Sony would have killed for with Concord in sales and respective budget.

And this is a commentary not to shit on Sony specifically, but how fucked development budgets are across the industry and also how resoundingly, loudly rejected Concord was by the market. ET had more reigns in its budget and was more accepted by consumers than Concord.

Last edited:

soulbait

Defo not duke nukem, i played that game, wasnt great but for a fan of the genre it was mediocre/bit bad but not extremly terrible :)

I played it, after buying it for only $1. It was terrible and the amount of time it took to make killed any chance of Duke being relevant anymore.

PeteBull

Gold Member
I played it, after buying it for only $1. It was terrible and the amount of time it took to make killed any chance of Duke being relevant anymore.
I betya if duke nukem ip got ressurected tomorrow, with all its flaws, game would still sell many times more than concord :D

PeteBull

Gold Member
Considering Concord should have been a F2P game, no doubt! LOL
got official info from wiki itself
According to research firm NPD, Duke Nukem Forever sold 376,300 units in its first month, not including digital copies.[69] Take-Two Interactive, the parent company of 2K Games, revealed in July 2011 that the game sales were half of their initial expectations.[70] However, in an earnings call on August 8, 2011, Take-Two said that Duke Nukem Forever would prove profitable

Top Bottom