• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lets talk about Sonys First Party Studios and their upcoming Projects

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do we have any idea if that "final fantasy killer" RPG Verendus mentioned is still happening? Don't get me wrong, I want to believe it is, but that post is over a year and a half old at this point.

Making a AAA JRPG takes like 3-5 years to make. Who knows when they started exactly but you cant expect regular updates on a game that has not even been announced :). Maybe they will announce it this year.

Sony/Capcom is now out with Street Fighter. The unannounced TPS is done with Jaffe's new game.

This year, you'll likely be able to remove the RPGs from there too since the unannounced three will probably be out in the open, and that includes the two JRPGs I mentioned long ago. Although one of them is pretty much "plans subject to change" so please don't send me a dozen PMs insulting me if you don't see everything. It's great to be passionate, but still weird. Also, you all should stop calling the second one a FF killer. It's just kind of wrong really. How would you feel if I said that about you? And as we know, games and pieces of plastic have feelings.

Most of that list will likely end up trimmed this year to be honest.

That post links to a huge thread so I'm not sure what post you're referencing, but if I mentioned something Power Stone being announced soon, it's to do with the CyberConnect2 exclusive that should have been announced in December for PS3/PS4. It's a cartoon game which most people probably don't even know of, and would probably find underwhelming. I don't actually remember the name either. To be fair, I'm not even sure if it's been announced now.

Anime?

Many of Sony's studios have been quiet for years. I imagine we're due to find out what most of them are working on at some point this year which is quite the exciting prospect considering they've been responsible for some of my favorite games.

I'm most interested in seeing Guerrilla's dino RPG and whatever Bend has up their sleeve. Bend in particular because they seem to be Sony's most mysterious studio for lack of a better description. They don't really have a franchise to call their own or a certain style of game they focus on (lots of variety in third person action) meaning their PS4 game could be almost anything. Plus the rumors from Shinobi about it being an intense survival game with horror elements intrigue me. He has also hinted that it's on track for this fall...

As for the rest of their unannounced line-up, my predictions:
- I believe that Sucker Punch is working on a proper Infamous 3
- Santa Monica is doing a God of War reboot/shake-up with a different setting
- Evolution is returning to an older Sony racing franchise (hopefully Wipeout)
- Media Molecule is cooking up an ambitious play, create, share title that will support the PS Eye and Morpheus
- London is developing launch titles for Morpheus
- Guerilla Cambridge is developing a new Killzone for PS4
- Polyphony is doing Gran Turismo along with a second smaller project (just a wild guess)
- Sony Japan is finishing The Last Guardian and collaborating on an internal JRPG.

Pretty firm guesses, I'd say. Personally I'd say that Evolution will probably be working on Driveclub 2, and I hope that London Studio are also working on something that's not Morpheus (or SingStar) related. I really hope that Guerrilla Cambridge are expanded and their next project is Killzone PS4, as they did such a great job with Mercenary.

Will also be interesting to see what happens with Quantic Dream once their three game contract with Sony is up.

Verendus

Banned
That makes it even easier to get that list narrowed down. You sure there are no unannounced retail FPS/TPS?
It's not a comprehensive list. As mentioned, it's just stuff I've referenced in the past. The most obvious ones are the RPGs (since that's JRPG1, JRPG2, and the open secret everyone seems to know about) and the one Sega game mentioned.

You won't be able to figure it out, and there isn't much point anyway since most of that list is being announced this year. I'd just ignore it.

I guess since it's a Japanese cartoon. Supposed to have 3D stages that you can move around like in Power Stone.

fvng

Come on Polyphony, take a break from GT

omega_boost_front.jpg

GnawtyDog

Banned
It's not a comprehensive list. As mentioned, it's just stuff I've referenced in the past. The most obvious ones are the RPGs (since that's JRPG1, JRPG2, and the open secret everyone seems to know about) and the one Sega game mentioned.

You won't be able to figure it out, and there isn't much point anyway since most of that list is being announced this year. I'd just ignore it.

Ohh for sure I won't figure it all out BUT, it does narrow down possibilities, and some expectations. I want to be surprised so I don't want to know the names or a hint that's too evident. We already got a few of those :)

I guess since it's a Japanese cartoon. Supposed to have 3D stages that you can move around like in Power Stone.

You didn't mention Square.. so DQXI won't be PS4 exclusive after ail ?

LOCK

They need to announce stuff soon, but I guess we will have to wait till E3.

Other than Uncharted 4, nothing really jumps out.

Thank the stars that they have full third party support including amazing exclusives.

Bold One

TLOU ended perfectly, really don't want a sequel.

Would love to see ND tackle an Action Scifi RPG ala Mass Effect. But something light hearted in the vein of Fifth Element

Musolf815

Sucker Punch's Nate Fox made it sound like they were ready to make more Infamous games for a long while yet, so that would be the safe bet. I would be perfectly fine with that, but I'm still hoping they make a new Sly game to coincide with the release of the Sly movie.

Verendus

Banned
Psycho_Mantis, quick google shows CC2 announced a game called Naruto for PS4/Xbox One in December, but that's not it. It's supposed to be a PS3/PS4 exclusive so I guess it wasn't announced after all. A bit strange if I'm honest.

Come on Polyphony, take a break from GT

omega_boost_front.jpg

The thirst for GT7 is too high. We need our next gen GT.

Psycho_Mantis, quick google shows CC2 announced a game called Naruto for PS4/Xbox One in December, but that's not it. It's supposed to be a PS3/PS4 exclusive so I guess it wasn't announced after all. A bit strange if I'm honest.

It is since I can't think of any anime that would get a game like that ( all the notable ones already have games coming out for them).

TLOU ended perfectly, really don't want a sequel.

Would love to see ND tackle an Action Scifi RPG ala Mass Effect. But something light hearted in the vein of Fifth Element

So because TLOU ended perfectly, that means there's no more stories to be told in that world?

Shabad

Announced First Party Exclusives :
Uncharted 4, Tearaway Unfolded, MLB'15

Announced Second Party / Third Party Exclusives :
Alienation, Wild, Bloodborne, Drawn To Death, Let it Die, Everybody's Golf, Ratchet & Clank, Rime, The Order 1886, Shadow of the Beast, The Tomorrow Children, Until Dawn, Everybody's Gone to the Rapture, Helldivers, Deep Down

I feel this discussion wouldn't be complete without including the so called second party titles. There has been a lot of efforts on that front from Sony, although it is of course much more difficult to actually know who's working with Sony at the moment.

Giant Sparrow and Tarsier studios are supposed to be working on PS4 projects I believe. Quantic Dream is of course a given too. Level 5 is also working on a PS4 game to be unveiled next E3. There are probably plenty more studios that have strong relation with SCE and have no known project atm.

Not a big fan of people saying the TLOU should be one and done. Just because Joel and El's story is done, doesn't mean that there aren't more stories to be told within that world. TLOU made too much money and has such a large fan base(including myself), to just kill the IP after one game IMO. Im sure we will get a new IP from ND this gen, maybe even 2 like last gen, but they shouldn't have to abandoned great IP's with interesting stories to be told..

Black Duke

Neo Member
Second party is a made-up term, so the definition differs from person to person but if we're saying that they're simply third parties who are working on first party IPs, right now Sony's second parties would include:

Arrowhead Game Studios (Helldivers)
The Bartlet Jones Supernatural Detective Agency (Drawn to Death)
The Chinese Room (Everybody's Gone to the Rapture)
Clap Hanz (Everybody's Golf/Hot Shots Golf)
FROM Software (Bloodborne)
Fun Bits Interactive (Fat Princess Adventures)
Funomena (Wattam)
Giant Sparrow (What Remains of Edith Finch)
Heavy Spectrum (Shadow of the Beast)
Housemarque (Alienation, Super Stardust Ultra)
Insomniac Games (Ratchet & Clank)
On The Metal (BigFest)
Q-Games (The Tomorrow Children)
Quantic Dream (???)
Queasy Games (???)
Ready at Dawn (The Order: 1886)
Supermassive Games (Until Dawn)
Tarsier Studios (Hunger)
Tequila Works (Rime)
Valkyrie Entertainment (Guns Up!)
Wild Sheep (WiLD)

I'm sure there are a few others who have signed deals with Sony but haven't announced anything yet though.

We can add Ovosonico and their new PS4 Exclusive game to that list. Maybe they have the same "3-games-contract" as Queasy and Giant Sparrow...

Fox_Mulder

Rockefellers. Skull and Bones. Microsoft. Al Qaeda. A Cabal of Bankers. The melting point of steel. What do these things have in common? Wake up sheeple, the landfill wasn't even REAL!
I hope there is space for a proper Ape Escape (playable with the ps move + navigator).

Announced First Party Exclusives :
Uncharted 4, Tearaway Unfolded, MLB'15

Announced Second Party / Third Party Exclusives :
Alienation, Wild, Bloodborne, Drawn To Death, Let it Die, Everybody's Golf, Ratchet & Clank, Rime, The Order 1886, Shadow of the Beast, The Tomorrow Children, Until Dawn, Everybody's Gone to the Rapture, Helldivers, Deep Down

I feel this discussion wouldn't be complete without including the so called second party titles. There has been a lot of efforts on that front from Sony, although it is of course much more difficult to actually know who's working with Sony at the moment.

Giant Sparrow and Tarsier studios are supposed to be working on PS4 projects I believe. Quantic Dream is of course a given too. Level 5 is also working on a PS4 game to be unveiled next E3. There are probably plenty more studios that have strong relation with SCE and have no known project atm.

Let It Die is being published by GungHo and Deep Down is being published by Capcom, so neither are second party titles.

Check out the list I made on the previous page for all their second party titles. Giant Sparrow's one, for instance, was announced at PSX.

We can add Ovosonico and their new PS4 Exclusive game to that list. Maybe they have the same "3-games-contract" as Queasy and Giant Sparrow...

Ah, I missed that tease. Thanks.

Shabad

Let It Die is being published by GungHo and Deep Down is being published by Capcom, so neither are second party titles.

Check out the list I made on the previous page for all their second party titles. Giant Sparrow's one, for instance, was announced at PSX.

Hence the "/ Third Party Exclusives" ;-) And Deep Down is co-developped by Japan Studios afaik, so it's more than just a Third Party game no ? I wouldn't be surprised if the IP belonged to Sony.

Anyway, my post isn't meant to be exhaustive (I did miss quite a few small ones ^^), I just want to point out that there are much more external collaborations / second party contracts / money hats / de facto exclusives than actual fully-internal first party titles in Sony's output.

Well do we have an arleady announced game from them? Gravity Rush 2? The Lol Guardian?

Games like Bloodborne, Deep Down, and The Tomorrow Children are somehow affiliated to Japan Studios. Gravity Rush 2 and The Last Guardian are also announced titles that are expected to be re-revealed.

HooYaH

Not a big fan of people saying the TLOU should be one and done. Just because Joel and El's story is done, doesn't mean that there aren't more stories to be told within that world. TLOU made too much money and has such a large fan base(including myself), to just kill the IP after one game IMO. Im sure we will get a new IP from ND this gen, maybe even 2 like last gen, but they shouldn't have to abandoned great IP's with interesting stories to be told..

Well
Joel did kill those Neurologists. Those don't grow on trees, so the human species are pretty much doomed.
If TLOU does have a sequel, I rather have the same premise "survival," but a different adversary. For example, crashed on a stranded civilized Alien planet.

Nestunt

Naughty Dog - 3 projects I bet (maybe 4). Uncharted and TLOU are the ones where they have people working on (98% of staff on Uncharted). Another AAA new IP with not the same theme as the other 2, and I see them trying the 1st person perspective. And maybe something small on the vein of Jak or Crash.

Santa Monica - with the restructuring I bet they only have people working on GoW and maybe in the coming years they can start a side project

Polyphony - Its Japan. They can only handle 1

Guerrilla - Hopefully shinobi is right. I am kinda tired of the 3rd person rpg/action adventure but the FPS mechanics from GG are horrible. Yeah, I see them working on that Borderlands/Diablo/Destiny model that everybody is trying to copy (probably not a buy for me)

Sucker Punch - Another smallish studio. Probably working on a new IP since Infamous doesnt seem to have much traction besides launch week. But I bet they dont have the resources to do something radically different.

Media Molecule - Another whimsical IP that probably is intended to spawn sequels and sell a lot to kids

Bend - PS4 Alan Wake

San Diego - They are rapidly replacing Santa Monica as Sony's 2nd studio. Unless SM gets talented people I see them jumping from the sports paradigm and doing the next triple A 3rd person action adventure for Sony

London Studio - I believe it when I see it. Man, so much talented people in the Sony UK. Its like Rare and MS

Evolution - Disney's Cars

Japan - The crown jewel. I think PS4 can only surpass Wii and PS2 numbers if this studio delivers something special. If they continue with Tokyo Jungle and Knack PS4 wont get those numbers. But they have Ueda (despite contract situation) and Toyama there, arguably two of the best Japanese designers of all time. I dont believe in Japan anymore but I seriously believe that this studio can be the difference between a great console cycle for Sony or a legendary one in terms of exclusives.

Quantic Dream - another pseudo-intellectual and pretentious game from people who clearly dont know what makes games fun and what makes movies fun

Hence the "/ Third Party Exclusives" ;-) And Deep Down is co-developped by Japan Studios afaik, so it's more than just a Third Party game no ? I wouldn't be surprised if the IP belonged to Sony.

Anyway, my post isn't meant to be exhaustive (I did miss quite a few small ones ^^), I just want to point out that there are much more external collaborations / second party contracts / money hats / de facto exclusives than actual fully-internal first party titles in Sony's output.

I missed that bit but eh, I feel like listing third party exclusives is getting a bit silly. Gonna start listing all the exclusive indies? :p

Nope, Capcom owns Deep Down and while they have said that Sony's co-developing, I doubt they're that involved. Japan Studio are also said to be "co-developing" Bloodborne but in reality it sounds more like they just provide support. I mean, just look at Demon's Souls' credits.

I agree though, the OP really seems incomplete without all the second party titles. Sony's first party titles are only a small part of their lineup.

Well
Joel did kill those Neurologists. Those don't grow on trees, so the human species are pretty much doomed.
If TLOU does have a sequel, I rather have the same premise "survival," but a different adversary. For example, crashed on a stranded civilized Alien planet.

The idea that humanity is doomed just because they didn't cure the Cordyceps (which wasn't even guaranteed in the game anyway) is pretty ridiculous.

Joni

That post links to a huge thread so I'm not sure what post you're referencing, but if I mentioned something Power Stone being announced soon, it's to do with the CyberConnect2 exclusive that should have been announced in December for PS3/PS4. It's a cartoon game which most people probably don't even know of, and would probably find underwhelming. I don't actually remember the name either. To be fair, I'm not even sure if it's been announced now.
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Eyes of Heaven?
Edit: Should read to end of page.

Wrynnax

Wondering what's going on with helldivers, it was supposed to release last summer. Have to admit i was looking forward to that one, looked amazing.

Well do we have an arleady announced game from them? Gravity Rush 2? The Lol Guardian?

Bloodborne, Tomorrow Children and Hotshots Golf are possible candidates too.

I mean, I want it to be Gravity Daze 2 or "Unannounced Game", but I'm keeping my expectations low so that I won't be disappointed. =)

Wondering what's going on with helldivers, it was supposed to release last summer. Have to admit i was looking forward to that one, looked amazing.

Delayed to Q1 this year.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/12/07/psx-2014-hell-divers-is-alive-and-it-wants-you-dead

Naughty Dog - 3 projects I bet (maybe 4). Uncharted and TLOU are the ones where they have people working on (98% of staff on Uncharted). Another AAA new IP with not the same theme as the other 2, and I see them trying the 1st person perspective. And maybe something small on the vein of Jak or Crash.

Guerrilla - Hopefully shinobi is right. I am kinda tired of the 3rd person rpg/action adventure but the FPS mechanics from GG are horrible. Yeah, I see them working on that Borderlands/Diablo/Destiny model that everybody is trying to copy (probably not a buy for me)

Sucker Punch - Another smallish studio. Probably working on a new IP since Infamous doesnt seem to have much traction besides launch week. But I bet they dont have the resources to do something radically different.

Media Molecule - Another whimsical IP that probably is intended to spawn sequels and sell a lot to kids

San Diego - They are rapidly replacing Santa Monica as Sony's 2nd studio. Unless SM gets talented people I see them jumping from the sports paradigm and doing the next triple A 3rd person action adventure for Sony

Japan - The crown jewel. I think PS4 can only surpass Wii and PS2 numbers if this studio delivers something special. If they continue with Tokyo Jungle and Knack PS4 wont get those numbers. But they have Ueda (despite contract situation) and Toyama there, arguably two of the best Japanese designers of all time. I dont believe in Japan anymore but I seriously believe that this studio can be the difference between a great console cycle for Sony or a legendary one in terms of exclusives.

Man, so much wrong with this post that I'm not sure if you're joking or serious.

Naughty Dog - 3 projects I bet (maybe 4)

There's no chance that Naughty Dog are working on more than two projects. They could have another different game in pre-production besides Uncharted 4, although I doubt it - do they even have a second creative pre-production team, now that Hennig and Richmond have left? I'm certain that TLoU2 will be headed by Straley and Druckmann and all of their attention is on UC4 right now.

the FPS mechanics from GG are horrible

Despite all of their flaws in narrative, set-pieces and sometimes level design, Guerrilla's shooting mechanics and feedback is some of the best in the industry.

Probably working on a new IP

I'm pretty sure Nate Fox from the studio has stated in the past that Infamous is pretty much going to be their future, as there's a lot of potential variety to the powers they can do and the stories they can tell.

Sounds like you're being disparaging here? I for one love Mm's games, and I wish more developers would make cute whimsical games like theirs.

They are rapidly replacing Santa Monica as Sony's 2nd studio

Uh... how? They make very little of note aside from baseball games, and outside of America I doubt the games sell very well at all.

I don't understand what you mean by this?

Japan - The crown jewel

How on Earth can they possibly be the crown jewel when they've developed almost nothing of note in the entire last generation, besides Gravity Rush and a few cute downloadable games. Even their stuff that was successful like Demon's Souls was developed externally by a third party.

First time I hear about a 3 game contract in place between Sony and Quantic Dream, any source to back this up?

Sorry, this is what I've read online a long time ago and I can't find a link to back it up. However, from comments made by one of the studio heads a couple of years ago it seems that they have every intention of staying with Sony, so I could either be mistaken or that original plan may have changed.

You won't be able to figure it out

So it's true Silent Hills is exclusive to PS4? That would melt the internet if true. Nice

eFKac

Sorry, this is what I've read online a long time ago and I can't find a link to back it up. However, from comments made by one of the studio heads a couple of years ago it seems that they have every intention of staying with Sony, so I could either be mistaken or that original plan may have changed.

No problem, it's not out of the realm of possibility, SCE likes to work in the 3 games or a certain amount of time kind of contracts, was just curious as it was the first time I've heard it about regarding QD, always thought about it as a more natural relationship.

marcincz

How on Earth can they possibly be the crown jewel when they've developed almost nothing of note in the entire last generation, besides Gravity Rush and a few cute downloadable games. Even their stuff that was successful like Demon's Souls was developed externally by a third party.

But now, they've Allan Becker on the board and the biggest 1st party studio, which employ over 400 people.
I am almost sure in the next 2-3 years Sony Japan will gives us many great games. On PS4 and...Vita.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom