• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LGBThread |OT3| Friends of Dorothy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So um, not to try and make the atmosphere heavy or anything but... I feel like I have some social issues, I mean, I have plenty of friends and talk to a lot of people casually but I always feel insecure, it kind of sucks, and I know nobody actually cares but it's all in my god damn mind. When there's a thread about something similar here on GAF the advice that is given the most is to drink lol, but I'm underage so I can't do that.

Anyway, I don't know why I shared this here since it doesn't have to do anything with being Gay. I just wanted to know if some of you feel the same or something :p

Replicant

Microsoft conference on Wendsday revealing the next box

I keep forgetting that it's happening this week. Dat MS' impact (or rather, lack of it).
wy5Cefg.gif

RM8

I'll have to watch it at work. It better be interesting! Hard to -not- beat WiiU and PS4 at the moment :p MS should try to make a great first impression for the system.

@YoungBlade: What do you mean by "social issues"? Anxiety? In any case, if it bothers you a lot you might try to seek professional help, don't you think?
---

Star Trek was okay. It started -ssssslllllooooooowwwww- but it was fine in the end. For someone who isn't a fan I can say it's an okay space action film.

bsej87

So um, not to try and make the atmosphere heavy or anything but... I feel like I have some social issues, I mean, I have plenty of friends and talk to a lot of people casually but I always feel insecure, it kind of sucks, and I know nobody actually cares but it's all in my god damn mind. When there's a thread about something similar here on GAF the advice that is given the most is to drink lol, but I'm underage so I can't do that.

Anyway, I don't know why I shared this here since it doesn't have to do anything with being Gay. I just wanted to know if some of you feel the same or something :p

I feel like everyone kind of goes through a stage like that, but it could also be something along the lines of Social Anxiety Disorder. I was diagnosed with it my freshman year, went to a psychologists for a year or so, and that was pretty much all I needed.

Edit: And the 360 announcement overlaps with my lunch break, so hopefully I can watch it live for potential megatoooooons

@YoungBlade: What do you mean by "social issues"? Anxiety? In any case, if it bothers you a lot you might try to seek professional help, don't you think?
I feel like everyone kind of goes through a stage like that, but it could also be something along the lines of Social Anxiety Disorder. I was diagnosed with it my freshman year, went to a psychologists for a year or so, and that was pretty much all I needed.

Edit: And the 360 announcement overlaps with my lunch break, so hopefully I can watch it live for potential megatoooooons
I'd like to think it's not Social Anxiety, I mean I still talk to many people. The thing is, I can't start a conversation, and I'm also very self-conscious. I'm pretty sure it has to do with me being overweight, so I'm hoping that as I lose weight I gain more confidence in myself.

bsej87

I'd like to think it's not Social Anxiety, I mean I still talk to many people. The thing is, I can't start a conversation, and I'm also very self-conscious. I'm pretty sure it has to do with me being overweight, so I'm hoping that as I lose weight I gain more confidence in myself.

Which are kind of hallmarks of social anxiety. It wouldn't hart to just peruse the symptoms and see if you mean any of them. And it's not like having an anxiety disorder necessarily means you have to get on medication or something like that. I just did cognitive therapy and never needed any medication, but it would all depend on what's causing your anxiety, is it flawed thinking vs. neurotransmitter imbalance, etc.

Mr_Zombie

Welcome to the club. ;)
Every time I speak with somebody I feel like I'm being judged (obviously, I'm not). I also hate how my brain can randomly, out of nowhere, remind me of something stupid that I did or said :lol

And I don't think drinking is the solution to the problem. Yes, it can untangle the tongue and can make you feel more relaxed, but that's only a temporary fix. What's worse, it gets you accustomed to the thought that you need a drink to not feel insecure. I have no idea why every time the topic of social anxiety is brought up alcohol is usually first and the most frequently quoted answer.

daripad

Well, you being overweight may affect the way people look at you. There are some people that may not even give a glance jusy because you are fat. I know that feel, and I can tell you that those people don't deserve to be befriended, that is the kond of people who midjudge people juat because of physical appereance. Fuck them.

It is, though! It is social anxiety.. which is completely normal and especially normal among GAFfers. Do you feel people are judging you because you're overweight or is it because of your weight that you just feel less comfortable about yourself? People probably aren't judging you unless you're extremely obese. Something like 65% of Americans are overweight.. Europe is getting there and Mexico is worse. Still, if you lose it (or at least some of it,) you will naturally feel better about yourself.

I'm not exited about any game this year to be honest, at least new games though, I'm really looking forward to Wind Waker HD.

Oh wait there's also Pikmin 3, but I'm not madly crazy about it, I'll get it and love it for sure though.

Gaming just isn't what it used to be *yells at cloud*.

There's plenty im 2013, still ahead, to be excited about (admittedly most is handheld):

Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D
Animal Crossing New Leaf
Mario Golf World Tour
Mario & Luigi Dream Team
Ace Attorney 5 Dual Destinies
Pokemon X
Zelda A Link To The Past 2

Killzone Mercenary
Tearaway
Batman Arkham Origins Blackgate

Wonderful 101
Legend of Zelda Windwaker HD
Mario U?

Watchdogs

PS4 or 360 - undecided

mantidor

Animal Crossing! I forgot about that one, it's such an odd game, I can't really explain why I like it, I should find it boring yet I don't.

Well they aren't having a conf. this year. :p

But they are having conference, more than one even, they just won't be broadcasting live.

I don't know what is the issue with Nintendo, no one seems to get them right, I would blame gaming "journalism" but Nintendo itself is also partly to blame. I don't know if its in their best interest to cater to an audience like Neogaf though, maybe it's not.

RM8

This is not the "controversial gaming opinion" thread, but anyway: I have been playing since the NES days and I think current Nintendo is the best Nintendo I've experienced. Some of my absolute favorite Mario, Fire Emblem, Pokémon and Kirby games have happened quite recently, and DS / 3DS are two of the best gaming systems I've ever owned. On the other hand, I feel like PS3 failed to capture what made PS2 and PS1 so awesome, but that's mostly because its library is understandably very "AAA mainstream" and this generation I'm simply not a part of that target. I don't care one bit about open world GTA-like games, WRPGs, shooters and non-arcade-ish sports games. It ended up being mostly my fighting game console, I fear my PS4 will be criminally ignored if fighters making it to PC becomes a trend.

daripad

This is not the "controversial gaming opinion" thread, but anyway: I have been playing since the NES days and I think current Nintendo is the best Nintendo I've experienced. Some of my absolute favorite Mario, Fire Emblem, Pokémon and Kirby games have happened quite recently, and DS / 3DS are two of the best gaming systems I've ever owned. On the other hand, I feel like PS3 failed to capture what made PS2 and PS1 so awesome, but that's mostly because its library is understandably very "AAA mainstream" and this generation I'm simply not a part of that target. I don't care one bit about open world GTA-like games, WRPGs, shooters and non-arcade-ish sports games. It ended up being mostly my fighting game console, I fear my PS4 will be criminally ignored if fighters making it to PC becomes a
trend.

Yep, recent Nintendo is best Nintendo, but yet we have to see how they manage their best games on WiiU to see if they can preserve that quality. As of now, they. have showed that the 3DS has had lots of excellent nintendo games and there is a lot more to come.
I'm actually excited to finally be able to see the new smash Let's see if they can make the best portable fighter ever.

RM8

WiiU is kind of dead, though :p I don't doubt it can be moderately successful and profitable, but I don't think Nintendo can avoid WiiU being pretty much the new GameCube - which means it'll have plenty of good games and a unique library (I'm expecting more stuff like TW101), but it'll hardly be a hit. Nintendo's main platform is 3DS, and it shows.

daripad

Yeah, I'm still on the fence for WiiU, and I'm waiting to see what Sony will bring to PS4, plus I still don't know what I am going to do with getting a desktop.
Nintendo just needs to show the exclusive games, don't waste time on the ports and I'm fine.
Sony has to show more of their third party stuff because the first party already seems like a nice effort with big and good looking games so far.
Microsoft is the last on my list, they would need a decent first party effort, but I don't like most of their franchises. Also more services for Mexico, almost everything is just US and EU so far, what about the rest of the continent? And obviously I'm not too confident about their console in terms of not being a broken thing like the first 360 at launch.

Oh poop. I've gotten myself a sunburn on my back, chest and arms. I should have applied some lotion
I would apply it to you next time if I wasn't so far away from you :p
Ok, that was creepy

Bladenic

WiiU is kind of dead, though :p I don't doubt it can be moderately successful and profitable, but I don't think Nintendo can avoid WiiU being pretty much the new GameCube - which means it'll have plenty of good games and a unique library (I'm expecting more stuff like TW101), but it'll hardly be a hit. Nintendo's main platform is 3DS, and it shows.

The GameCube deserved more success.

The WiiU doesn't.

ibbWIAs8RvfVUt.gif

Delio

Despite all this Ms expects a growth in the industry. :O

RM8

These are my end-of-generation predictions:

- 3DS: Sells on par with GBA or a bit above it, its library gets as much praise as the DS library in retrospect. Nintendo's main source of income. It's going to be great when it hits $99.

- WiiU: Again, sells GameCube-like and is profitable. Builds a fun, unique library that makes it worth owning, but people who go WiiU-only become bitter and anti-Nintendo.

- PS4: Probably sells on par with PS3, but this time not being a money sink which makes it automatically a much better system for Sony. Might outsell NextBox since it's not going to launch later and it has Japan on its side.

- Vita: Niche handheld with a decent, very specific library. It may become profitable in the end but it's just never going to be PSP2.

- NextBox: Hard to tell when it doesn't even have a name :p I think MS is in a very good position right now - they have two very strong markets with their "core" titles and their Kinect stuff.

Top 5 games?

1. DOA3

2. Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth

3. Final Fantasy X-2

4. MVC2

5. Grandia 2

I'll give 20:

20: Mass Effect

19: Turok 64

18: StarFox 64

17: 1080 Snowboarding

16: Ecco Dolphin Defender of the Future

15: FZero GX

14: Crash Bandicoot

13: Elderscrolls Oblivion

12: Legend of Zelda Windwaker

11: Batman Arkham Asylum

10: Donkey Kong Country

9: Dragons Dogma

8: Kid Icarus Uprising

7: Red Dead Redemption

6: Super Mario Bros 3

5: Metroid Prime

4: Gran Turismo

3: Super Mario 3D Land

2: Goldeneye 64

1: Resident Evil 1/& REmake

----

Many didn't make the list, but many games could be games I've loved, would love to replay. It's nearly impossible for me to catalog and quantify over 2 decades of great and standout first impressions. I tried to pick the ones that came to me quickest for general idea sake.

My 2 favorite series', with all cumulative and subsequent installments are for sure: Mario and Resident Evil.

Alrus

This is not the "controversial gaming opinion" thread, but anyway: I have been playing since the NES days and I think current Nintendo is the best Nintendo I've experienced. Some of my absolute favorite Mario, Fire Emblem, Pokémon and Kirby games have happened quite recently, and DS / 3DS are two of the best gaming systems I've ever owned. On the other hand, I feel like PS3 failed to capture what made PS2 and PS1 so awesome, but that's mostly because its library is understandably very "AAA mainstream" and this generation I'm simply not a part of that target. I don't care one bit about open world GTA-like games, WRPGs, shooters and non-arcade-ish sports games. It ended up being mostly my fighting game console, I fear my PS4 will be criminally ignored if fighters making it to PC becomes a trend.

I agree, Nintendo's Wii output was amazing. Much better than the Gamecube's. Nintendo's DS and 3DS output absolutely shit on their GBA's output (I don't get why the GBA was such monster, considering it was a port dump machine for Ninty)

And I'm thorn on the Wii U, I know I'll buy it because I'm a sucker for nintendo games but I'm disappointed Nintendo went with such a low-end route, it means I'll have to buy another console in the long run if I want to play major third party games. (because you still can't rely on third party porting their game on PC...)

Kind of dont agree about recent nintendo aside from 3ds. I think SNES nintendo was the best simply because it was such a well supported console. Not to mention the thing even had super gameboy on it and you could play gameboy games on big screen :) I hated the Wii, and Wii U doesn't exactly entice me. But yes the 3DS is fantastic.

Totally agree about the PS3. In comparison to the PS1/2, this thing sucked IMO (still good console!). Those consoles had the most varied libraries of all time and it was kind of impossible to live up to. Especially when the 360 took so much of that.

Sai-kun

Banned
Being an uncle has to be one of my favorite things ever. My nieces are 14 and 8, and watching them grow has been a crazy experience. Also,
thanks to me
they both have awesome taste in music. I don't know any other 8 year olds that appreciate good dubstep. :lol :lol :lol

Kind of dont agree about recent nintendo aside from 3ds. I think SNES nintendo was the best simply because it was such a well supported console. Not to mention the thing even had super gameboy on it and you could play gameboy games on big screen :) I hated the Wii, and Wii U doesn't exactly entice me. But yes the 3DS is fantastic.

Totally agree about the PS3. In comparison to the PS1/2, this thing sucked IMO (still good console!). Those consoles had the most varied libraries of all time and it was kind of impossible to live up to. Especially when the 360 took so much of that.

I'd agree with that with the added caveat of the NES. Frankly, Nintendo, like most japanese companies, have floundered since the 3d era. Every major Nintendo system bar the Wii has struggled to perform and the WiiU has shown that the Wii was most likely a fluke.

If there's one thing I'll be awesome at, it's showing my nieces and nephew the magic of video games. I already let my nephew play Sonic Generations on my PC from time to time, and he cried and hugged me when my sister and I got him Sonic Generations for the 3DS :p He likes to watch, too, so that's cool. Unfortunately, I'm always playing something I feel uncomfortable with him seeing.

The magic's kind of lost on me because I babysit them from 6:40 AM to anywhere from 2-6 PM--sometimes the whole week--and they really grate on the nerves after a while. And considering their parents like to fuck me over when it comes to certain things... yeah. HOWEVER, it can be fun sometimes. I got really into buying my two-year-old niece summer dresses, and we were just going back and forth in the clothing/shoes aisles. Her: "Tinker Bell! Tinker Bell!" Me: "Yeah, yeah." It was pretty cute QQ

RM8

I don't have access to any nephews, but I have two cousins (now 15 and 13) that I've always seen as little sisters, or nephews in any case :p The older one used to call me all the time when she got stuck in Super Princess Peach. I usually don't love kids but these girls were always un-kid-like in a lot of aspects so it wasn't a chore when I had to take care of them. Seeing them now with boyfriends and all "grown-up" in attitude is a bit weird, not going to lie!

Also it's extra special because their father has always been pretty much a second father to me :)

Mr_Zombie

Being an uncle is awesome. I think I'm the only one from my family that knows what my 7yo nephew is talking about (cartoons, animated movies, games). :lol
It's also great to be called whenever he's stuck in a game, be some kind of guru. :p

I'd agree with that with the added caveat of the NES. Frankly, Nintendo, like most japanese companies, have floundered since the 3d era. Every major Nintendo system bar the Wii has struggled to perform and the WiiU has shown that the Wii was most likely a fluke.

The DS struggled to perform? Or is that not a major Nintendo system?

I get real confused whenever I pop into this thread and all I see is game talk... I have to do a double take to make sure I didn't click on another thread.

These are my end-of-generation predictions:

- 3DS: Sells on par with GBA or a bit above it, its library gets as much praise as the DS library in retrospect. Nintendo's main source of income. It's going to be great when it hits $99.

- WiiU: Again, sells GameCube-like and is profitable. Builds a fun, unique library that makes it worth owning, but people who go WiiU-only become bitter and anti-Nintendo.

- PS4: Probably sells on par with PS3, but this time not being a money sink which makes it automatically a much better system for Sony. Might outsell NextBox since it's not going to launch later and it has Japan on its side.

- Vita: Niche handheld with a decent, very specific library. It may become profitable in the end but it's just never going to be PSP2.

- NextBox: Hard to tell when it doesn't even have a name :p I think MS is in a very good position right now - they have two very strong markets with their "core" titles and their Kinect stuff.

The GameCube did have decent 3rd party support initially, and only lost it towards the end of its life cycle. It was helped by the fact that it was on par with its competitors in terms of horse power. The Wii U doesn't even have that advantage.

Crayons

Banned
Had a conversation with a grill today and she was telling me how homosexuality was a sin and all this christian stuff.
*Adds her to the list of people not to talk to*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom