• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LGBThread |OT3| Friends of Dorothy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

FYC

Banned
Weekend is a great movie focused on a gay relationship, available on Netflix. Just finished it, really enjoyed it.

5NdzYjC.png

I'm in love

BeesEight

Nah. I know.

You must teach me your ways, sensei.

Weekend is a great movie focused on a gay relationship, available on Netflix. Just finished it, really enjoyed it.

Weekend is one of the very rare gay films that's actually really well done. I would whole heartily recommend it to everyone and I'm really thankful to whoever recommended it to me last year.

Other guy is more attractive but the actor is straight :(

Alcoori

*hic*

Shelter is much better than Weekend.

Heck, Hold Your Peace is better than Weekend, and that movie was absolutely horrible. But at least it felt like something happened.

I think the point of the movie is more to create an atmosphere and a certain feeling than to tell a story. I can totally see why people would think it boring, but in my opinion it was a great movie.

Shelter was good, but ultimately the story was kinda pedestrian and pretty simple. It is one of those stories you've seen/read a thousand times except this time it was with 2 gay guys.

I think all of those movies are pretty awful. If you want something gay and good watch Almodovar.

icant.gif

(I kid, boo).

_Isaac

I'm starting to really dislike "atmosphere" movies nowadays. I just hate the idea of just watching a two hour movie that just basically creates a mood. It doesn't engage me. It's like the movie form of background music.

BeesEight

I'm starting to really dislike "atmosphere" movies nowadays. I just hate the idea of just watching a two hour movie that just basically creates a mood. It doesn't engage me. It's like the movie form of background music.

I don't think I'd go so far to call Weekend an atmospheric movie. It certainly is not plot driven. I mean, it's a movie about two people talking over the course of two days.

However, I'd definitely say it's a character/theme driven movie. I haven't seen it in over a year, but I recall it having a lot to say about homosexuality and society in a way that didn't feel overtly heavy handed.

Cup is right that there's very little that "happens" and Alcoori is right that it's more focused on emotions and mood but I think there is an interesting exploration of sexuality and people's imposed and perceived barriers towards it.

Odinson

I thought weekend was an ok movie. It kept my attention somewhat as I wanted to see development of the main character. Didn't really happen but I enjoyed it for what it was. Recently saw leave it on the floor on Netflix. It's a gay musical with a mainly black cast about the ball scene. It was ok, had a few laughs and some eye candy. There are some touching moments in it too.

effe

Banned
weekend an atmosphere movie? oh honey. i could list you some films that would make you jump off a building.

Opiate

I think all of those movies are pretty awful. If you want something gay and good watch Almodovar.

Speaking about comedy in particular, I almost never like minority comedians whose entire shtick centers around their minority status.

Asians making jokes about their crazy asian mom, black guys making "haha, I'm black!" jokes, and yes, gay comedians whose act focuses on the fact that they are gay.

I find it tedious. I'm almost always more amused by comedians making general observations, both because I relate to them more personally (obviously), but mostly because the punch lines can be more varied. "Haha, I'm gay!" as a punch line gets old pretty quickly.

Edit: just to make it clear, I am not saying all gay (or all black or all asian) comedians operate this way, just that some do, and that those are the ones I don't tend to like.

Emitan

Saw the most gorgeous tall woman at work today. So beautiful and an amazing sense of style. She was taller than me so she was over six feet!

daripad

I think this is kind of a silly question, but I wanted to know if some of you who are in a relationship have been ashamed or told something stupid in public because of what you are (obviously while being with your boyfriend/girlfriend)?

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
I just bought Weekend from the Criterion flash sale. I'm hoping it's good as I was thinking of getting In the Mood for Love instead.

Also, Avatar was awesome.

Sai-kun

Banned
I think this is kind of a silly question, but I wanted to know if some of you who are in a relationship have been ashamed or told something stupid in public because of what you are (obviously while being with your boyfriend/girlfriend)?

My ex-BF (of almost 3 years at the time) introduced me to a friend of his once as 'a friend', and I went along with it in the moment, but boy was I pissed afterwords. He didn't get any that night. :|

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
I just bought Weekend from the Criterion flash sale. I'm hoping it's good as I was thinking of getting In the Mood for Love instead.

Also, Avatar was awesome.
Avatar was alright; In The Mood For Love is pretty good; but I have not seen Weekend, so no comment.

Mr_Zombie

I depends on what you expect. It is a "boring" movie, i.e. nothing really happens there. It's literally a movie about two guys who met at a bar and spend a weekend together. The movie is all about dialogs between them though: one guy is an open homosexual, who willingly talks about his orientation and admires how gays are treated in America and thus wants to leave UK; the other one is more sheltered one, only outed to few close people, doesn't even want to kiss or hug in public etc. The movie is about clashing those two "views" and about development of both characters.

What I love about this movie is how natural it all felt: the characters, their conversations, their development. And even though it isn't really a sad movie, nothing dramatic happened there, when the end credits kicked in and the "I Wanna Go To Marz" song started, I really couldn't hold my tears.

Yoshiya

I was frustrated by many aspects of Weekend but I think, in retrospect, I appreciated it. The characterisation is compelling and I think that's all the film really tried for.

Dany

Banned
I don't find my self watching gay cinema for some reason. I don't actively see those films because I don't get anything out of it. Hm.

Alcoori

I think what I liked best about the movie is that it was very true in its depiction of the short romance and the inherent bitterness of knowing that it has an expiration date. I have been in similar situations and that's maybe why the movie spoke to me. That's what I'm talking about when I say atmosphere.
I feel like if you haven't experienced it, then there's not a lot of chance you're gonna enjoy the movie.

BeesEight

I don't find my self watching gay cinema for some reason. I don't actively see those films because I don't get anything out of it. Hm.

I generally avoid them as well. Did a brief spat last year where I watched a bunch because I was in the mood. I still find the vast majority is pretty bad.

Weekend is well made for what it is but if you don't enjoy more "indie" like movies that place the focus on characters and dialogue then you're not really going to get much from it.

effe

Banned
but then there are some gay films that delve so far into camp that they're suddenly good.

Querelle, anybody?

Alcoori

but then there are some gay films that delve so far into camp that they're suddenly good.

Querelle, anybody?

That is true. Let's be frank, most of the gay movies are terrible. I don't usually watch them for the quality of the acting or of the plot.

For example I thought Another Gay Movie was actually hilarious. I know, I know.

daemonic

Banned
I teared up at the end up Weekend as well. Great cast, and something I felt I could relate to.

Also just watched Pariah on Netflix Canada and really enjoyed it. Was refreshing to see a different take on the gay world for once.

BeesEight

That is true. Let's be frank, most of the gay movies are terrible. I don't usually watch them for the quality of the acting or of the plot.

For example I thought Another Gay Movie was actually hilarious. I know, I know.

How do you live with yourself?

But yeah, camp can be fun too.

Emitan

I don't think I've watched any gay movies. My friend sent me her list of recommended Netflix stuff but I'm actually not a fan of movies in general so I'm not sure if I'll ever get to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom