• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LGBThread |OT3| Friends of Dorothy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

anaron

Just wanted to chime in with my condolences for Rm88. Terribly sorry for your loss. :(

My own dogs are getting up there and I know I'm definitely not ready to handle losing them.

i_am_ben

running_here_and_there
I like indie/indie rock a lot, some electro, some pop. Basically will listen to anything that's passing on my Spotify radio.
Some of my favorite include Arctic Monkeys, Phoenix, Alt-J, Broken Bells, Lykke Li, The xx, Passion Pit, The Wombats, Bloc Party, OK Go, The Strokes, LCD Soundsystem, Hot Hot Heat, Robyn, La Roux, Yelle, Janelle Monae, Ellie Goulding, etc...

LOVE the new Daft Punk album.

Also I'm going to see Alt-J in concert in September and I am SO excited.

These are the songs I'm currently listening to.

Pet Shop Boys 'Vocal' https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNR8gQAoYCs

Lorde 'Tennis Court' http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8Ymd-OCucs

John Newman 'Love me again' https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfihYWRWRTQ

Ahasverus

Wait, do you make your own music? That sounds really fun.

Eeh not really hahah I make arrangements for my symphony band. Latin music, mostly. But yeah, lot of fun.
However my lifetime goal is composing an universal suite. Probably will do it in my 80's but whatever that's my dream, hopefully it goes alright :)

Eeh not really hahah I make arrangements for my symphony band. Latin music, mostly. But yeah, lot of fun.
However my lifetime goal is composing an universal suite. Probably will do it in my 80's but whatever that's my dream, hopefully it goes alright :)
That sounds nice, I think it's also great that you have a goal and that you seem determined to achieve it!
Ok I think I'm bi. I feel weird and my head is dizzy right now with this stuff.
LOOKS LIKE SOMEBODY IS NOT A VIRGIN ANYMOREE
I'm sorry man, please share your story :D

Sagitario

Everybody go and watch Pacific Rim on 3D IMAX ASAP.
Excellent movie, visually stunning (seriously, it's a visual delight). It's the first time I have thought the 3D effect really adds something to the experience (not even The Hobbit or Avatar made me feel this way). Plus, if you are a fan of good fights, monsters and mechas... you won't be disappointed.
I feel like watching Evangelion again.

Plus, it has both Charlie Day and Charlie Hunnam <3

ibkWDZU9dm7T9B.JPG

ilikeme

^^

Pacific Rim is the one movie I'm really looking forward to atm. You just made me slightly more hyped. It really seems to have everything, but it's not coming until August 2nd in Sweden. Still a bit of a wait!

And in gayer news, I'm in love with a straight 18-year old. He's so fucking adorable. As nothing will ever happen, I'm in the process of adapting to being a good friend to him. Going fine so far, he's a great person so he makes a great friend as well. + he's a great at ballet <3 (he's my dance class crush, heh)

In literary news, I just started reading All About Love (New Visions) by bell hooks. Getting more in touch with this feminism stuff. Enjoying it so far as it's not all about nagging on patriarchy (not that there's anything wrong with that, but I've read stuff on it already), and more about how to work and think when trying to build loving relationships.

Allaboutlove.jpg

Honesty is key to that, so I'm trying a challenge for myself. Never to lie, and if I catch myself in a lie, however small, I'm gonna say straight-away that I'm sorry and admit to my lie. Gonna be fun. (I always get stressed out when I lie or sugarcoat stuff)

However my lifetime goal is composing an universal suite.
If you don't mind me asking, what is a universal suite? I googled and found hotels. And it's great that you're working with music in some capacity! I'm thinking about buying a piano and learning how to play it. A real piano sounds so goooood. And I think it would help me in the musicality of dancing.

Ahasverus

If you don't mind me asking, what is a universal suite? I googled and found hotels. And it's great that
you're working with music in some capacity! I'm thinking about buying a piano and learning how to play it. A real piano sounds so goooood. And I think it would help me in the musicality of dancing.
Oh a suite is what some people call symphonic poem, or in a lesser extent a "symphony" (those tend to be a little more in the virtuoso kind and less in the "listeneable"). Have you watched Cloud Atlas? It's like what the Cloud Atlas is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shFPNq1--Qw

In summary it's a kinda long piece of music for orchestra or symphony band or whatever wiith various movements each one representing something, inspiration can be literary, theatrical, films or whatever you like, I think mine will be inspired in life itself.

And buy that baby and bring it home, you'll never listen to music normally again!

G0523

So how's everyone doing?

I'm alright. Kinda going through the boredom of summer at the moment. Just finished up Newer Super Mario Bros. Wii, and I'm about to finish re-watching Rocko's Modern Life and Parks & Recreation. I don't have anything I'm looking forward to immediately after I finish them but I probably should.

In IRL news, my boyfriend and I are looking for some gay friends to hang out with and...befriend. We've discovered that there really aren't many gay guys here where we live, and we like to think that our "type of gay" is niche (geeky gay) in this area. There's a lot of families out here. We are not a family. Lol.

Eeehh NO!

I just think I quite like a girl and I think she likes me too. Oh lord :O

How old are you? I fell into that trap a few times when I was young. I know
myself
better now.

Not saying you couldn't be Bi, but I think some gay guys confuse feelings they have for certain women as sexual attraction.

_Isaac

Excellent movie, visually stunning (seriously, it's a visual delight). It's the first time I have thought the 3D effect really adds something to the experience (not even The Hobbit or Avatar made me feel this way). Plus, if you are a fan of good fights, monsters and mechas... you won't be disappointed.

http://i7.minus.com/ibkWDZU9dm7T9B.JPG

I saw Pacific Rim on 3D IMAX yesterday. I kinda disagree about the 3D. I feel like it didn't work that well on such a big screen. There was much more ghosting and it made some of the poorly shot action scenes even more disorienting. I think it would've been better without the 3D. Besides that, it was great and really intense. Agreed on the two Charlies, but I have to Robert Kazinsky, the Australian guy, was particularly adorable.

tumblr_llskirslrl1qb8m44o1_500.jpg

I'm seeing it today. I'll hate you, if it's not as good as you say.

ilikeme

Oh a suite is what some people call symphonic poem, or in a lesser extent a "symphony" (those tend to be a little more in the virtuoso kind and less in the "listeneable"). Have you watched Cloud Atlas? It's like what the Cloud Atlas is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shFPNq1--Qw

In summary it's a kinda long piece of music for orchestra or symphony band or whatever wiith various movements each one representing something, inspiration can be literary, theatrical, films or whatever you like, I think mine will be inspired in life itself.

And buy that baby and bring it home, you'll never listen to music normally again!

Ahh, ok, thanks for that, now I get it! That's a pretty cool goal to have.

And yeah, we have live pianists in our ballet classes and that really inspired me to get my own. Half the point of ballet class is the piano. So beautiful <3

Orange is the New Black is awesome. It also has quite an incredible portrayal of a trans woman. And really everything else, race, gender, and sexual preference. It's also hilarious.

Show is ok, but that one guard.. John? When he smiles at that girl. Damn. They're adorable.

Sagitario

I saw Pacific Rim on 3D IMAX yesterday. I kinda disagree about the 3D. I feel like it didn't work that well on such a big screen. There was much more ghosting and it made some of the poorly shot action scenes even more disorienting. I think it would've been better without the 3D. Besides that, it was great and really intense. Agreed on the two Charlies, but I have to Robert Kazinsky, the Australian guy, was particularly adorable.

OH YES!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18WowFUmDDI

This NEEDS to happen!

That actually sounds really cool.. I'd love to hear some of it if it gets finished. I'm not exactly sure what you mean by symphony band,though.. Are you in a symphony or a band>

Ahasverus

That actually sounds really cool.. I'd love to hear some of it if it gets finished. I'm not exactly sure what you mean by symphony band,though.. Are you in a symphony or a band>

Hahaha, a Symphony Band or Concert Band is a "woodwind orchestra", a musical agroupation that especializes in "static" playing (contrary to a marching band) with a more "serious" symphonic sound in replacement of a traditional orchestra (the one with violins).

Here is one track, an international piece from our first CD
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABKi7mE9xic

And this is my lastest arrangement! It's based on a beautiful colombian song and based on a "playing for a change" version of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3suO7LOzh_I

The "original" is this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6exx0sB_iOA

I'm no Zimmer but music is kinda my passion and frustrated carrer !

daripad

How old are you? I fell into that trap a few times when I was young. I know
myself
better now.

Not saying you couldn't be Bi, but I think some gay guys confuse feelings they have for certain women as sexual attraction.

I'm 19. I have feelings for her but is not much physical at all, but still I don't think I'm too physical to be attracted to someone.

Go with the flow. If you like her and she likes you don't over-think things. It'll sort it self out.

Yeah, I'll se how things roll with this. But she is in a relationship right now, so I think I am going to wait and see what happens with this first.

Oh lord
indeed.
lol

Pacific Rim was amazing. I'm a fan of Del Toro's work and knew going into this that it would be a visual treat, but I was completely blown away. I had only seen a few trailers and tried not to spoil myself, boy did my mouth drop at the entire Hong Kong scene. There were plenty of holy shit moments in that battle, especially near the end. The way the movie highlights scale in the battles is amazing and not like anything I've ever seen. Doesn't even compare movies like Transformers or Cloverfield, this is on a whole other level. It is visually STUNNING and I was literally perched on my seat and screaming the entire time.

The entire movie is a homage to mech animes like Big O and Evangelion. It does it extremely well and I really don't see anyone in the future pulling it off as well as Del Toro did. Weak points are the character development and acting, but the Jaeger's and Kaiju are the real stars of the movie. You couldn't put some heavy-handed Evangelion shit into this movie, because it would drag it down and ruin the pacing. We got just the right amount of information we needed to move the story forward and set up the awesome battle scenes.

I recommend it to anyone who enjoys a good action flick with amazing visual flare. Don't go in expecting anything other than an amazing thrill ride. I'll be doing my part and seeing it again sometime this week. Also picked this up today at FYE, totally channeling EVA-2 vibes.

Sagitario

Pacific Rim was amazing. I'm a fan of Del Toro's work and knew going into this that it would be a visual treat, but I was completely blown away. I had only seen a few trailers and tried not to spoil myself, boy did my mouth drop at the entire Hong Kong scene. There were plenty of holy shit moments in that battle, especially near the end. The way the movie highlights scale in the battles is amazing and not like anything I've ever seen. Doesn't even compare movies like Transformers or Cloverfield, this is on a whole other level. It is visually STUNNING and I was literally perched on my seat and screaming the entire time.

The entire movie is a homage to mech animes like Big O and Evangelion. It does it extremely well and I really don't see anyone in the future pulling it off as well as Del Toro did. Weak points are the character development and acting, but the Jaeger's and Kaiju are the real stars of the movie. You couldn't put some heavy-handed Evangelion shit into this movie, because it would drag it down and ruin the pacing. We got just the right amount of information we needed to move the story forward and set up the awesome battle scenes.

I recommend it to anyone who enjoys a good action flick with amazing visual flare. Don't go in expecting anything other than an amazing thrill ride. I'll be doing my part and seeing it again sometime this week. Also picked this up today at FYE, totally channeling EVA-2 vibes.

Completely agree!

m63ofgJ.gif

mantidor

http://i7.minus.com/ibkWDZU9dm7T9B.JPG[IMG][/QUOTE]

It opens here until god damn august 31 :( :( :(

I'm going to end up all spoiled :(

wait imdb says august 9! yay!

Thats almost a month anyway, I'm getting so spoiled T_T

I wanna see it, hope i have time to go to the movies soon :eek:. IDk if anyone I know or even family seems interested in seeing it which doesn't seem likely :/

Mr_Zombie

so...how was everyones weekend?

I was visiting Aberdeen with my sister and her 7yo son and all I can say is that I think I now hate kids. We barely managed to do some shoppings and walk through a main street because of my nephew and his constant whinning. Eventually we ended up in an amusenent park, so it wasn't that bad :p

Is there something you want to tell us? ;)

Sai-kun

Banned
did u n saikun do it

bazinga

u know ur first on the list of people i'm gonna tell if we do!!!

this weekend owned and there was dancing and dancing and dancing and music and friends and a lot (a lot) of alcohol!

Except for the part where I was on the beach and sliced my foot open on some garbage that some jackass left behind :/

So I've been looking into the CRON lifestyle for its health benefits (acronym stands for calorie restriction with optimum nutrition), where you restrict the amount of calories you consume but you still get the RDA of vitamins and minerals and all of that stuff by tracking the food you eat with nutrition software so you don`t actually experience any malnutrition like a person might normally on a more restrictive diet. There's a lot of speculation about whether it increases lifespan in humans or whatever like it does in lab animals (where it's seen to extend lifespan by like 50%, the question is if that extends to long lived animals like humans), but aside from that question it apparently reduces the risk of illness associated with aging (heart disease is practically reduced to zero, and cancer is lowered by like 50% or something, etc) which is more healthful than even exercise on a more standard diet composed of healthy foods, so they say it's the most viable lifestyle if not for life extension then for 'health extension'. Usually there are superficial concerns that if you're restricting your calories like 20% less than the 'set point' or the weight you tend to stay at naturally when younger you're going to have a pretty low BMI and lean build and all of that, because who wants to look emaciated etc, but looking more into it maybe it's just me but if I looked like this dude I think I would be okay with that. Normally I'm attracted to a heavier build but instead I think a lithe body like that is actually really sexy. What do you guys think?

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
So I've been looking into the CRON lifestyle for its health benefits (acronym stands for calorie restriction with optimum nutrition), where you restrict the amount of calories you consume but you still get the RDA of vitamins and minerals and all of that stuff by tracking the food you eat with nutrition software so you don`t actually experience any malnutrition like a person might normally on a more restrictive diet. There's a lot of speculation about whether it increases lifespan in humans or whatever like it does in lab animals (where it's seen to extend lifespan by like 50%, the question is if that extends to long lived animals like humans), but aside from that question it apparently reduces the risk of illness associated with aging (heart disease is practically reduced to zero, and cancer is lowered by like 50% or something, etc) which is more healthful than even exercise on a more standard diet composed of healthy foods, so they say it's the most viable lifestyle if not for life extension then for 'health extension'. Usually there are superficial concerns that if you're restricting your calories like 20% less than the 'set point' or the weight you tend to stay at naturally when younger you're going to have a pretty low BMI and lean build and all of that, because who wants to look emaciated etc, but looking more into it maybe it's just me but if I looked like this dude I think I would be okay with that. Normally I'm attracted to a heavier build but instead I think a lithe body like that is actually really sexy. What do you guys think?

Just eat whatever you want and if you die young so be it.

Just eat whatever you want and if you die young so be it.

No to that, for one thing you have more mental clarity and energy in a calorie restricted or partially fasted state because of lower insulin levels and stuff, and it's good for increasing brain derived neurotrophic factor and preserving fluid intelligence, and diminishing the risk of Alzheimers as we age, etc. Health and mental clarity are easily worth more than being able to eat more calories imo.

Really I got into it because I plan to become a Buddhist monk, and they like basically all monastics don't eat all that much and they're philosophically disinclined to eat for pleasure. I think this would be good practice for that. In some men it also diminishes libido somewhat and that would be a boon for me because I think about sex all the time and it's pretty annoying.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
No to that, for one thing you have more mental clarity and energy in a calorie restricted or partially fasted state because of lower insulin levels and stuff, and it's good for increasing brain derived neurotrophic factor and preserving fluid intelligence, and diminishing the risk of Alzheimers as we age, etc. Health and mental clarity are easily worth more than being able to eat more calories imo.

Really I got into it because I plan to become a Buddhist monk, and they like basically all monastics don't eat all that much and they're philosophically disinclined to eat for pleasure. I think this would be good practice for that. In some men it also diminishes libido somewhat and that would be a boon for me because I think about sex all the time and it's pretty annoying.

Yeah, well, I heard that people can live up to 126 years under induced semi conscious coma with an intravenous nutrition supplement delivered to them every 8 hours - that way you won't have to worry about any of that pesky pleasure stuff and you'll be able to reach a state of mental clarity much faster. I hear it's all the rage in (insert place where monks live)!

Yeah, well, I heard that people can live up to 126 years under induced semi conscious coma with an intravenous nutrition supplement delivered to them every 8 hours - that way you won't have to worry about any of that pesky pleasure stuff and you'll be able to reach a state of mental clarity much faster. I hear it's all the rage in (insert place where monks live)!

The jhanas are said to be vastly more pleasurable than any other experience available to us, a person can experience a much more significant degree of pleasure through practicing renunciation :p

Also mental clarity means being awake, which is obviously preferable to torpidity.

And people on CR still get pleasure from eating besides.

so...how was everyones weekend?

emoticon-00111-blush.gif

Good on Saturday, stressful on Sunday.

Celebrated my mom's birthday Saturday (although her actual birthday is today). She acted like a fool like she always does, but I guess I can't fault her for it this time around lol.

Sunday, I returned to Austin. I woke up early after getting next to no sleep and proceeded 2 hour flight. When I returned, my roommate informed me that our kitchen has been overtaken by wasps.

Naturally, being extremely afraid of these types of bugs as I am, I was freaking out for the rest of the day and was hoping they wouldn't find their way into my room. Even so, I found some wasps were already in my room, on the windowsill. A few of them were alive. I had to get my roommate to get rid of them for me there. I don't even know how they got in there considering my door was closed for the entire time I was gone. They must have gotten in through the vents or something.

This, combined with having to wake up at 7 AM for class and my paranoia keeping me awake made for a rather dreadful day. I only got 2.5 hours of sleep for Monday morning. Fortunately, the exterminator came this afternoon and cleaned out the rest of the wasps in the apartment, and he'll come back Thursday to try to determine where they're coming from.

In the meantime, I have my Raid bug spray at the ready. Haven't gotten stung yet, and hopefully these guys won't return. *knock on wood*

Fun fact: either my roommate is fearless, or the wasps formed a secret alliance with him in an effort to frighten me. Yesterday, he simply went to the kitchen and opened the refrigerator door with a wasp on the handle. He acted so casually about it when he told me. I mean, who does that!? D:

It explains why he hasn't bothered with trying to get rid of them since he discovered them like a week before I came back. >_>

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
The jhanas are said to be vastly more pleasurable than any other experience available to us, a person can experience a much more significant degree of pleasure through practicing renunciation :p

Renunciate via coma! We are in agreement then!

Also mental clarity means being awake, which is obviously preferable to torpidity.

Torpidity is the only way to reach maximum vascular liquidity and existential bliss. I thought you said you read up on this subject?

And people on CR still get pleasure from eating besides.

Not the kind I'm thinking of. This CR drains all possible pleasure from the monk's consciousness. Involuntary voluntary tenancy!

Renunciate via coma! We are in agreement then!
Except you have a higher degree of awareness than someone living a more ordinary life? It's like the opposite of a coma. Renunciation is better seen as a form of emancipation rather than escapism, because you're letting go of the things you can't really hold on to anyways, the motive to do so emerges from contact with some of the harsher aspects of reality, it's constructive optimism tempered by sober realism.

Torpidity is the only way to reach maximum vascular liquidity and existential bliss. I thought you said you read up on this subject?
What are you doing

Not the kind I'm thinking of. This CR drains all possible pleasure from the monk's being. Involuntary voluntary tenancy!
Why did you quote my post

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom