• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LGBThread |OT3| Friends of Dorothy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RM8

I wish I lived in a country where such conventions are possible. Mexico's gaming community is not small, but it's also not nearly as big as in America. So our game events are super vanilla :(
I'd take a retro game convention over a gay gamer one any day.

Oh god, people are actually pulling the "where's my straight gamers convention" argument. I wonder if those are the same type that complain about no white history month.

Kangi

When is everyone going to learn that people on gaming side are incredibly incapable of handling serious or unfamiliar topics?

The people who also frequent off-topic can't fight back the waves of ignorance that breeds itself among the hiveminds there. There's a reason I only post in more community-oriented threads there nowadays.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Oh god, people are actually pulling the "where's my straight gamers convention" argument. I wonder if those are the same type that complain about no white history month.

As soon as I saw the thread at work I knew it was going to go down that path. And yep... it's still going down that path essentially.

@Kangi: It's not just a "gaming side" issue, it's a "gaming community" issue. GAF alone isn't the problem. The problem is this thinking is prevalent among Reddit, GAF, GameFAQs, IGN, etc.'s boards and topics because this is what most people think is "normal"/okay and there is no problem and "no reason why gay/women/transgender/whatever topic here should have their own meeting groups."

Kangi

Trust me, I know. I've been to all sorts of "gaming community" websites; this place is the best among them but it's still very, very prevalent. There's not much room for much of any arguments in gaming communities. Even if it's exclusively gaming-related, you'll just be swarmed by people who hide in thinly-veiled megathreads and tell each other what's true and not in a gigantic echo chamber.

Hige

I swear the average age of gaming side is at least 5 years less than off-topic. There are always some dumbass posts whenever a rape culture thread pops up. So I'm not surprised at that thread. It's usually some user that hasn't been enlightened by OT. Visiting OT should be mandatory TBH.

I swear the average age of gaming side is at least 5 years less than off-topic. There are always some dumbass posts whenever a rape culture thread pops up. So I'm not surprised at that thread. It's usually some user that hasn't been enlightened by OT. Visiting OT should be mandatory TBH.

Can you go to any OT thread about feminism and come back with the same claim?

Meicyn

Gold Member
It's pretty amusing to me to watch all the controversy as one of only like... two people from GAF that actually attended.

Delio

My current interest is very much a gaymer but he plays only pc games really lol. Always wants me to play Civ V with him.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
OMG @ the guy who thinks gay people only go to gaming conventions to hook up because he saw it an episode of Queer as Folk once! ROFL

My current interest is very much a gaymer but he plays only pc games really lol

You can introduce him to the wonders on console/handheld gaming! Play games together!

People thought I was being sarcastic when I said I'd go there to find someone to have sex with. :(

If I ever went to a gaymer convention, I would totes not go home alone. :]

Delio

OMG @ the guy who thinks gay people only go to gaming conventions to hook up because he saw it an episode of Queer as Folk once! ROFL

You can introduce him to the wonders on console/handheld gaming! Play games together!

I will hah. He does want to play Last of us.

Nothing wrong with this. Tell me to play SMAC and SMAX.

I will!

TheSeks

Whoops, I meant tell him. Stupid dyslexia at times...

I don't think SMAX is on GoG yet but SMAC is and it's worth playing if he enjoys Civ. But it's based on Civ 2 (IIRC) so it'll be a small step back, but it's probably the best Sid Meyer game on PC out there, IMO.

Rayis

GAF is very progressive in some issues if you're in OT, but we still have lots of not-so progressive people, if you ever wonder where the homophobes, racists and other not-so progressive people are hiding in this forum, is definitely on the gaming side.

also, I find the stupidity fun to argue with, they don't have a leg to stand of so it's easy to refute their points.

Alrus

My god I can't read that thread anymore. It's not even the guy who "disagree with the lifestyle" (what a bunch of horseshit, you hear this so often it's depressing...). It's the guy who says that kind of event is surely for hook-ups only because he saw Queer as Folk so all gay must be promiscuous horn dogs :|

TheSeks

GAF is very progressive in some issues if you're in OT, but we still have lots of not-so progressive people, if you ever wonder where the homophobes, racists and other not-so progressive people are hiding in this forum, is definitely on the gaming side.

I have a running theory that most of them are Nintendo fans. Which, I know is broad brush stroking but most of said comments seem to come from people with Nintendo avatars...

Kangi said:
Even if it's exclusively gaming-related, you'll just be swarmed by people who hide in thinly-veiled megathreads and tell each other what's true and not in a gigantic echo chamber.

So... like this thread then? Ohhhhhh? :p

scarlet

My god I can't read that thread anymore. It's not even the guy who "disagree with the lifestyle" (what a bunch of horseshit, you hear this so often it's depressing...). It's the guy who says that kind of event is surely for hook-ups only because he saw Queer as Folk so all gay must be promiscuous horn dogs :|

man, i really need to watch QAF
i've never watched a single episode at all.

Kangi

So... like this thread then? Ohhhhhh? :p

This isn't an echo chamber. This is a battleground with intermittent truces that result in us all pretending to like each other because we share a common enemy.

I have a running theory that most of them are Nintendo fans. Which, I know is broad brush stroking but most of said comments seem to come from people with Nintendo avatars...

Actually, I notice a lot of gaymers that are Nintendo fans. At the very least, the most steadfast guy in that thread right now has a Playstation banner on his avatar. =p

Crayons

Banned

Glad I'm not alone there. No way I'd go home alone! It'd take a lot of me to go in the first place. I've never been to any gay events, and I can count the number of people who know I'm gay on one hand.

This isn't an echo chamber. This is a battleground with intermittent truces that result in us all pretending to like each other because we share a common enemy.

Actually, I notice a lot of gaymers that are Nintendo fans. At the very least, the most steadfast guy in that thread right now has a Playstation banner on his avatar. =p

btw Kangi, I'm sorry for not responding to your PMs from a while back. I've been deeply involved in my Drama class
inosogayrite

TheSeks

BB gurl, plz. We both know you are tsundere for POP-GAF/gay queens. ;) ;)

also, I find the stupidity fun to argue with, they don't have a leg to stand of so it's easy to refute their points.

Indeed. And I see enough homophobes and especially racist on the OT side. So on the gaming side, idk if i even want to know :x. smh. Its truly worrisome.

And tbh, so freaking what if people might hook up at those conventions anyway, and its so far beyond what the convention is even for. Are people that oblivious that people who are usually marginalized historically form into groups together and meet in order to meet people just like them. like how is that even a problem for some of those posters

TheSeks

It depends on the topic and section, really. Most of the "what the fuck" on OT-side is Nintendo avatars.

Again, this isn't really true. The same arguments as the ones in that thread pop up on gaming side, the OT, and the internet in general, when the subject of othered groups comes up.

The claims of a perfect post-discrimination society, the reliance on "binders full of women"-esque logic, the complaints that hetero-normative males don't get any special treatment, "political correctness gone mad", "why does <marginalized group> blame me all hetero-normative males for their problems? I didn't do anything wrong.", etc.

And often, refuting these kinds of arguments is actually hard; not because those points require any real effort to deconstruct, but because such points(in particular, the ones relating to "blame") are often rooted in cognitive dissonance(which itself seems to be caused by a general misunderstanding of the arguments being made).

People say "cognitive dissonance" a lot nowadays.
Well, I assure you, I'm not one of those people who throws out terms without knowing what they mean(at least, I try not to be :x). It just seems, at least from my perspective, to be a big part of how these types of debates proceed.

Lemme ask you something, though. Do you know what patriarchy means?

Edit: Just humor me, I promise this goes somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom