• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LGBThread |OT3| Friends of Dorothy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

daripad

I agree with this. I'm confused why people still post pictures here _this_ often. isn't that what tumblr is for?
Again, that doesn't happen frequently. I may be harsh with what I'm going to say but what does happen here frequently is people complaining about other people's posts (like I'm doing right now lol).

If you want.to talk about something, you can do it, we are here to discuss and as you can see on the last page, there has been varied topics to talk about and not complaining.

It's not illegal, but it can still be creepy. Honestly I have a hard time understanding relationships with extreme age difference. I mean, sex is one thing, but 18yo in a serious relationships with 35+yo? What are the talking about? I've talked to a few 18 yo and these kids are in a totally different place in their lives and I'm "only" 28!

I just do not get it.
As you get older, it's less of a problem though, I could see a 28yo with a 40yo. At this point they both have worked for a few years and are more likely to be in the same headspace. But 18 and 35? What?

Oh I agree with you on the relationship thing. I also find most 18 year olds immature mentally (and it's a huge turn off), heck even some 21 year olds I've talked to were immature to sustain a civil conversation. Not saying everyone is: I've talked at length to some 16 year olds who blew my mind with their level of education and intellect, but those are rare.

No way I'd consider a relationship with someone that young at my current age. I was merely referring to sexual attraction.

I dated a 16 year old when I was 20, I'm not sure what the age of consent was at the time in that country, but I honestly didn't know about legal issues at the time, and he introduced me to his parents and they didn't object *shrug*

It was very short lived though as I had to travel back home. (We've reconnected via Facebook recently although we rarely communicate)

And I dated an 18 year old (actually he turned 18 few days after we started dating) when I was 25. That lasted for 3 years, and I did have some minor issues with his level of maturity, but he was a relatively smart kid.

I haven't dated anyone that young since.

daripad

Yeah, me as a 19 year old I can say that I'm not fully.mature. Even id Mexican laws says that I'm an adult I still don't feel/think/act like one.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Who are these people that go through massive shifts in interests, activities, and hobbies after they turn 25? 30? 40? I mean, look at gaf. Everyone's into the same shit they were as kids; only the cartoons/anime thing kind of weirds me out, but it's not a huge deal.

Young dudes and older dudes can and do have plenty in common, and conversation is, in my copious experience, no different than with any other person.

Significant age difference is not an issue. Period.

daripad

Cosmic Bus, you definitly haven't read any of the Nintendo threads:

"I don't play Nintendo games anymore because they haven't grown up with me"

And I see that in every Nintendo thread.

Edit: Wait, or do you mean changes in preferences since becoming 25 and not earlier?

I wasn't thrilled about my bf's love for The Spice Girls...

Or the previous one's dedication to Emo metal (he had his own band and I went to one of his shows)

mantidor

So I just came from watching Pacific Rim, not only is a freaking awesome movie, the eye candy is of the charts, funny enough the lead is the one I like the least, not saying he isn't hadsome, but every single male pilot is to dream for, seriously, and Idris Elba? damn.gif.

Hell, even the crazy tatooed scientist is kind of cute in his way, although a bit annoying.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
So I just came from watching Pacific Rim, not only is a freaking awesome movie, the eye candy is of the charts, funny enough the lead is the one I like the least, not saying he isn't hadsome, but every single male pilot is to dream for, seriously, and Idris Elba? damn.gif.

Hell, even the crazy tatooed scientist is kind of cute in his way, although a bit annoying.

I'd go for the 3 Chinese triplets. Thats a wet dream i want now.

RM8

I wasn't thrilled about my bf's love for The Spice Girls...

Or the previous one's dedication to Emo metal (he had his own band and I went to one of his shows)
But that's hardly age related. My father is reeeeeally into soccer and rock, has always been, it's safe to say he doesn't have the same mindset now as when he was 17.

I wanted to play that game (and download the clothing pack that includes a fundoshi *cough*), but the demo gave me a horrible impression of it. Movement that's stilted, constant crass language just for the sake of "Look how edgy this game is!", and a combat system that's just "punch punch punch, press <x> if an enemy glows red".

I see where you're coming from, but I find the movement to be great, love the parkour-ish stuff you can do. The language is pretty much what you'd expect from an open world gangster game (?) irc GTA 4 was WAY worse in that regard, and I find the combat to better than the one in GTA 4 personally.

But that's hardly age related. My father is reeeeeally into soccer and rock, has always been, it's safe to say he doesn't have the same mindset now as when he was 17.

I think you're right. I just felt like naming some random "hobbies" they partook in that grated on my ears :)

Was his band good?

I don't think so. But he did write, compose and sing a song about the pains of being a closeted homosexual (it wasn't part of his band, and ironically he wasn't closeted when I met him). I was very impressed with the song back then, especially the lyrics. And I found the mp3 of it very recently while going through very old digital archives I have, and to my surprise it's still just as good. I thought perhaps he had stolen some of the lyrics from somewhere, so I googled lines from it and not a single match returned! What surprises me more is that he doesn't seem to have uploaded the song anywhere, because I can't find it online.

I want to talk to him about it some day.

Alcoori

Who are these people that go through massive shifts in interests, activities, and hobbies after they turn 25? 30? 40? I mean, look at gaf. Everyone's into the same shit they were as kids; only the cartoons/anime thing kind of weirds me out, but it's not a huge deal.

Young dudes and older dudes can and do have plenty in common, and conversation is, in my copious experience, no different than with any other person.

Cosmic, you would be lying if you said you didn't evolve and mature between the end of high school and when you turn 30. Not only do most people leave their hometown to go off to college, but most also move out of their parents' place.

I feel like the college years and the few after graduating are the ones where people change the most, simply because they become adults of their own (at least they should).

When I see a 40yo with a 20yo, I can't help but think that the 40yo couldn't find anyone his age to date and had to find someone who didn't know better.

Sai-kun

Banned
Maturing doesn't mean that your interests and activities massively shift. I still love and am passionate about the same things I was 5 years ago.
and everyone knows that i am the pinnacle of maturity!

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Genderbread man?

Yes! That's it!

Yeah, I was in the same spot, but these topics are really interesting and my sexuality class I have last semester made me see the world in a different way. It opened my eyes to see gow different we all are abd that our sexuality defines us as the people we are.

I really need to read up on the subject myself. There's still so much that I've yet to learn.

Cosmic, you would be lying if you said you didn't evolve and mature between the end of high school and when you turn 30. Not only do most people leave their hometown to go off to college, but most also move out of their parents' place.

I feel like the college years and the few after graduating are the ones where people change the most, simply because they become adults of their own (at least they should).

When I see a 40yo with a 20yo, I can't help but think that the 40yo couldn't find anyone his age to date and had to find someone who didn't know better.

preach

I don't know, I think it can work. I think the difficulty generally comes from a person ~40 being somewhat settled in their life, and a person ~20 being, well, not. I mean if you're looking for a long term commitment the odds are stacked against you, and if you're 20 you probably still have some 'growing pains' and life lessons ahead of you that you might only be able to learn by failing to be a responsible or 'grown up' individual, which relationships tend to call for, but I see no reason why it can't work in principle if these possibilities are accounted for.

Replicant

Oooh BURN!

It is is kind of true though. I'm already uncomfortable with the fact that some of my friends are still in their early 20s while I'm in my mid 30s. Sure, we get along but there's always the voice on the back of my mind that says "Shouldn't you be hanging out with people your age?". But the thing is, I can't exactly find people of my age to hang out with. My social sphere involves mostly uni students. I can't exactly tell people that I don't want to hang out with them because they are way too young for me. OTOH, I don't understand why they want to hang out with me. But some of them are fucking hot so it's hard to resist.

Real talk right here.

Rokal

I recently dated someone who was 46 (im 28). In the end I did feel that the age gap was too large and called it off. We had compatible personalities, but there are a couple realities with such a large age gap that were impossible to ignore. Once people get to their 40s their health typically starts to decline, and ultimately you would probably be spending the last 3rd or 4th of your life without them (and maybe alone without any kids...). Older guys are more set in their ways, typically have more responsibilities (ailing parents or siblings, kids or nieces/nephews to look after, established careers). Lastly, there's something to be said for experiencing life with someone else, and that's somewhat diminished if your partner has already experienced a lot more things.

I'm not going to say it can't work for the right couple because cleary it can, but age isn't just a number. I've since decided to only date within 5 years of my age, anyone outside of that range makes a better friend than boyfriend if im being honest.

Arguably it's not the younger people that don't know better but the other way around. I think the younger person usually gets the better deal, they get to casually step into a more 'mature' relationship and make use of the older person's accumulated knowledge/wisdom and status, all with the understanding that life is incredibly open to them and they can just as casually walk away at any time they like since nothing they do at that age really matters anyways. The older person generally has to be more responsible, and comfortable with teaching the younger person about their life and 'maturity' or whatever with the very high chance that the other person is not really going to stick around. I say this having been the younger person in this scenario to varying degrees, when you're young you're often pretty self centered and a relationship like that is an incredibly safe 'experiment' :p The majority of 'growing up' is just trying things on and playing a role, and something like that is a pretty good opportunity for that. It sounds crass, and I don't think that way anymore, but I think that's something of a recurring narrative in these things. If I was the older person I'm not sure if I'd be inclined to put up with it.

Mr_Zombie

Discussion in this thread has dropped like a rock since we went to community.

Did it? To be honest, I haven't noticed. Maybe at the beginning, when it was moved, but nowadays it's as lively as I remember all the previous were (i.e. sometimes there's nothing posted for few days, sometimes after a single night I can find few pages of new posts). I don't think moving to the community harmed the thread because most posters here probably already have the thread subscribed.

I've -never- experienced homophobia in my 25 years of life, in big part because I'm free to not be open about my sexuality to whoever I don't want to know about it. It's pretty much a "gay privilege" if you think about it.

By experiencing homophobia, you mean insults or mistreating directed at you, or anything homophobic related in general, even using "gay" word as an insult by someone who's near you, or overall talking about homosexuality as something immoral, icky, bad?

I just said that the definition of a "guy next door" was just some white guy.

It isn't. What you did was jumping to conclusion. Snake just posted pictures of guys he finds attractive because those are pics that he has saved on his HDD or bookmarked. If I would have to post my "guys next door" pics I'm sure most (if not all) of them would have some kind of facial hair, probably a full beard or a scruff, because that's what I find attractive. That doesn't mean that your average "guy next door" have to have a beard.

In the gay world if you are not a certain height weight ratio, race and or dick size then no wants you.

Disagree. People have preferences. Some likes hairy beefy guys; other likes smooth twinks; some prefer white guys, other prefer black guys, and another group prefer Asians (and yet another group don't give a shit about your race). Just because your stereotypical gay men has certain features or some type of gay men are mostly represented in media doesn't mean anything. You can say the same about straight people too (especially women). No matter whether it's straight or gay, media promotes certain "perfect" type of people; that doesn't mean everyone who doesn't fit that perfect look is doomed to be alone.

gerg

It's not so much an issue of common interests as it is an issue of maturity level. Certainly, there may be instances whereby an 18 year-old can have a fulfilling relationship with someone who is 40, but I would say that those occasions are more unusual than not.

At the same time, my brother married his wife when she was 38 and he was 24. Given those ages it was possible they began dating, then, when he was only 22, which I would say is particularly young. But, at the same time, by that point he had lived independently for quite a while in a foreign country, where he lives permanently now, which would also have been unusual for someone his age.

As an example, some people think that just
because you dress like a girl you are
automatically gay, which is not true because we already know that some crossdresser like women and not men.

But the point is, do you think that this problem can be solved through sexual education as years go on or is this going to remain as strong as it is actually?

I don't think this is an issue so much of sexual education as it is about changing ideas of "gay identity". We need people (both within and outside the gay community) to stop identifying being gay with a determined set of characteristics (such as flamboyancy). Once that happens, then hopefully beliefs that activities such as crossdressing are a reliable indication of sexuality will start to disappear.

Hige

Damn, I missed out on all the drama earlier. Just going to respond to stuff randomly. *cracks knuckles*

These pics of Nishikido are better. He is very handsome. But I'm one of those "racist" people (sigh) who is rarely attracted to a non-white guy (although I'm realizing lately that my palate is not as limited as I once thought; I'm finding a lot of tan-skinned middle eastern guys very attractive, but they tend to have Caucasian-like facial structures), and I'm not a fan of the Emo/Final Fantasy character IRL look (referring to the bottom two pics).
I don't think it's racist to have an ethnicity preference. But let's be real, when is the last time you've seen a profile with "no whites" on it? Last time we had this talk I asked for any information that posited the idea that racial preference is innate and not just influenced by our social environment. You never got back to me on that one. Is it just a logical outcome that there happen to be more "no rice, no chocolate sorry just my preference" profiles as a result of free will and decision making that is somehow not hampered by social mores?

White supremacy has an implicit influence on gay media and how we and our peers perceive what is ideal on a subconscious level. We're not magically free from outside influence. Since in the past you've suggested that we can't control what we're attracted to, due to some innate means,
Oh I get you. I'm also not attracted to non-whites, which sounds like a terrible thing to say, but as you all know we can't control who we are attracted to. I wish my tastes in sex weren't limited in that regard, would have made life easier and more fun.
I found your other post regarding tanning interesting:
I wouldn't turn those guys away, but I think they'd look hotter either with no tan or a full one. Farmer's tan always looks off to me... I guess it probably depends on what you've grown up with and used to seeing.
Why would racial preference not follow the same logic as this? If you can only respond to one thing, I'd most like an answer to this question.
Says the guy with the white boy avatar...

Why do we have to talk down on other people's preferences in this thread? It seems to be a recurring theme when white guys are admired.
I don't think it's talking down a preference so much as getting tired of being inundated with the same type of guy as if that's all there is out there. I thought the first two pics you posted were the same guy at first glance. That's not to say white people look the same (they don't), but that models fall into some clone-like category that it becomes tedious, and yes, generic/boring. I think neojubei made a good point about what is seen in the media and how it can affect non-whites' perspective of themselves.

As for the whole guy next door white guy thing being boring. It's not about other people's preference but more so how gay men are portrayed in the gay media. Everywhere you look in this gay community white guys are the defacto sexual thing to want. When you are guys who are not white and seeing that everywhere it is boring. Not to mention most Asian and Black gay men I've met in school only wanted white guys.

It's less a matter of demeaning other people's tastes and more about the fact that posting a wall of photos that are supposed to be rated despite the fact that each person photographed is a young, bearded, white guy makes the thread dull and has become part of its cycle.

I like the people who post in this thread, and I wish there was more of a discussion occurring instead of endless picture rating. This is now the fourth gay thread. At this point, everybody knows about every other poster's taste in men, and maybe we don't need to keep rating and having arguments about it.

Personally, I think there's a lot to unpack when it comes to how and why certain preferences become established.

I know it may not seem directly relevant, but a model named Cameron Russell gave a TED talk last year about her experience in the modelling industry. During this she quoted a statistic that, "in 2007... of the 677 models that were hired, only 27, or less than four percent, were non-white". At least in the West, I don't see how it would be controversial to state that being white (or, failing that, fair-skinned) is an aesthetic advantage - being Caucasian is a privilege, and many people are disadvantaged for not sharing that.

Ultimately, you are merely stating a preference, and to a degree that's non-problematic. But at the same time, I think there is a problem when people say that they like the "guy next door" look, and then proceed to post several pictures of all-white men, not least because I think it's unrealistic. I would love to know if there are any statistics on this, but what percentage of "guys next door" are non-white? I imagine quite a lot.

Plus, while the focus may be on looks here, ultimately the concept of the "guy next door" is more than that - it suggests a somewhat soft, chummy feel that is as much about character as it is about anything else. So why is it that, if only implicitly, non-white men are excluded from these characterisations?
Bless these posts! <3

Lastly, the only people who said "guy next door" means exclusively white are the ones complaining. I said I've been finding middle eastern guys attractive, and Rm88~ posted pics of the Japanese dude.
I never claimed that you particularly were talking about the "guy next door" aesthetic. (In fact, I was very careful not to.) I replied to your post in particular because you seemed to be questioning why this was a matter worth discussing.
First, I know you (Snake) weren't suggesting the pics you posted were "guys next door," nor were you the first person to use the phrase in the last few pages, so this is only half directed at you. I already addressed that awful "all-American boy" song from earlier in the thread and how the phrase carries racial overtones to just mean "white." I think "guy next door" is similar, though it lacks the strong nationalistic slant so it's not as evocative or downright racist. I don't mean to be PC police over whatever phrases people are using here, as I don't get the feeling there is racial intent in how the phrases are being used. But there is an underlying meaning to these phrases that is exclusionary. Go to google images and search for "guy next door" or "all-American boy" to see what I mean.

I've watched that talk. And I don't think anybody denies that white people are treated preferentially in many societies, but I don't see how this is a valid rebuttal to what's going on here. You're saying since many white people are racist, then reverse racism is OK?
I don't believe he ever suggested whites are racist. And reverse racism isn't a thing.
I don't think that people calling out white privilege is "reverse racism".
Preach!

Thread is often slow as molasses. Any new posts to keep it going is good if you ask me, but some will complain when they don't like what you post, and yet they don't bother posting what they like to see posted...

mind_blown.gif
I'd rather this thread were less about posting pics in general. There are lots of issues to do with gay identity that I'd personally like to explore.
Then post about it?
I did, and still do. A while back I talked about body dysmorphia within the gay community, and people seemed to ignore the posts. More recently I linked to an article about how usage of sites like Grindr can cause people anxiety, and to be fair that did spark some discussion. Now I'm trying to discuss how white privilege informs people's conceptions of beauty.
I don't post pics because I don't care to take the thread in that direction. Plus, I'm generally not the type to post pics of who I'd bang and go into great detail about what I'd like to do to them lol. Also, gerg, I've enjoyed your posts here and I participated in a body dysmorphia discussion earlier in this thread, so there has to be at least a few people that are interested in these topics. Even if they're not as popular as the latest #instastud or Andrew Christian video.

Kyon

Banned
Naked whatever started the race preference thing a while ago had us all start a 3 page conversation and said he's on mobile so he can't discuss. Now the convo is back and he wanna COMPLAIN and have almost nothing to add now?

DISMISSED

ik3talg2of7rcamfy4.gif

gerg

Naked whatever started the race preference thing a while ago had us all start a 3 page conversation and said he's on mobile so he can't discuss. Now the convo is back and he wanna COMPLAIN and have almost nothing to add now?

DISMISSED

lol wat

Apologies if I've got this all wrong, but if you're referring to me, then I think you're confusing me with Hige. In addition, I don't think it unreasonable to want to be asleep by 2am (it was 1.25 when I posted that I was on my phone), and then when I posted at 8am this morning it was to reply to Cosmic Bus regarding age differences in relationships, and to daripad regarding gay identity.

I did not complain at all in my last post.

Ty4on

DISMISSED
You started it and then kept on trying to restart the debate. These are the first three posts on page 84 (100PPP).

I suppose there are in the big cities (which are few. I'm refering to Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam), but I've always felt... I'm not sure what's the word I'm looking for, but for some reason it didn't appeal to me. Maybe beacuse I felt that even if I'll go, 99% will be locals, and I'm just not attracted to them (no offence).

But that's beside the point, since these nights I'm talking about happened in small places, where you don't have many bars \ clubs in the first place, let alone gay ones. I'm only talking about 3 nights in total, so it's not that bad, but when it happend, it sucked. Big time.

Oh I get you. I'm also not attracted to non-whites, which sounds like a terrible thing to say, but as you all know we can't control who we are attracted to. I wish my tastes in sex weren't limited in that regard, would have made life easier and more fun.

Let me take my other reply back...

The majority of the community are so damn picky and borderline racist sometimes.

My theories of them thinking white= attractive haven't been proven wrong yet. A mess

irtJz0sNp9VwG.gif
I will be gone for five hours now (moving back), but I hope the thread will have moved in a positive direction by then. I apologize if I spark more debate, but I just feel those posts show how overblown much this is.

Mr_Zombie

DISMISSED

That's very mature of you.

Alrus

DISMISSED

Not surprising someone wouldn't want to have a serious discussion with you tbh.

Hige

You started it and then kept on trying to restart the debate. These are the first three posts on page 84 (100PPP).
You left out a few posts. He kept promising to reply to the topic at hand and then just disappeared.

Oh God I seem to have opened a stinky can worms. I have replies to many posts on this page but I'm on my phone and in bed trying to sleep, and attempting to manage all those multi quotes would be nightmarish on the phone, so I'll chime in tomorrow.
Then he came back ~22 hours later and didn't post anything related to that topic until he got called out a day later, or around 48 hours after the post I quoted.

I haven't had a chance to be on the computer to read everything and reply, been on the road and accessing GAF on the phone all the time. And editing long posts from phone sucks. I'll get to it tomorrow, although I'm not sure what good it'll bring; nobody ever changes their opinion in these discussions. It's like religion/atheism debates, they go on forever and nobody comes out wiser at the end.
At this point he went silent for 11 days until:

It's confirmed: I give the best blowjobs.

What are your bragging rights, GayGAF?

Not surprising someone wouldn't want to have a serious discussion with you tbh.
Ok, even if he doesn't want to respond to Kyon, he has yet to bring up any evidence for his line of reasoning that started this whole thing in the first place. He asserted that racial preferences are innate like sexual preference. When pressed for any evidence he can provide to back up that point, he's dodged the question.

Dude no, don't go there. There is no such thing as "thinking" when it comes to sexual attraction, otherwise you'll be validating bigots who claim that being gay is a choice.

It was never my choice who I find attractive and who I don't.
And again I WISH that wasn't the case. You think it helps me at all living in a region where the type of men I find attractive is a minority? It sucks.

I will be gone for five hours now (moving back), but I hope the thread will have moved in a positive direction by then. I apologize if I spark more debate, but I just feel those posts show how overblown much this is.
Do you mean the posts are overblown, or the race topic in particular? Because if you mean the latter I'm curious what someone from Norway (86.2% native Norwegian) can tell me about race relations in the US.

I think the animosity displayed by Hige and the sideline cheering by Kyon has reached disturbing levels. I don't think I will be posting in this thread after this.

First let me address why I didn't respond on this topic the last time: As I said I got busy for a while, and there were many posts from different people to reply to, I had them all bookmarked and I even started drafting a reply, but then I procrastinated on finishing it and the more I waited the more difficult the task felt. The discussion had moved on by then, so I decided to let it go.

I'm posting my unfinished draft here, even though it's only addresses a couple of the previous questions I got.

an unfinished old draft post by Naked Snake said:
Whatever. A cute guy is a cute guy dont matter what color TBH.

Let me clarify my position here. A cute guy is a cute guy no matter what color? Of course! I've seen guys of all colors who I call cute, handsome, even beautiful and gorgeous. But that does not mean that I am necessarily sexually attracted to them. In a similar way to how I can find various women (and especially black and mixed-race women) to be pretty, beautiful, gorgeous, etc. without being sexually attracted to them.

BTW, Jordanian (is that a word) aren't considered white? Just because you said that thing about minority.

Yes Jordanian is the correct word, and I don't know if they are considered white, some of them maybe, but others probably not (on dating sites and apps there is always a separate category under Ethnicity called "Middle Eastern", which guys here use). Their skin color and features vary, darker in the south, lighter in the north. Native Jordanians tend to be darker, while those of Palestinian origin tend to have lighter colors. Some Palestinian and Lebanese guys are so hot they make me drool, and I'm not saying I don't find any Jordanian hot, some of them I do, but they're few and far between.

I google image searched for Jordanian guys to post some examples, it wasn't easy finding these:

991638_12479495987240.jpg

The four guys on the left are the locals, the tall guy on the right is a foreign traveler.

660x390image1344433302-8688-Photo0-0.jpg

3317270.jpg

By the way I do find the guy in the white hoodie above attractive

rim-ala-121.jpg

rim-ala-123.jpg

And here's "a Jordanian living in Chicago":
2009700.jpg

I'm pretty sure he's of Palestinian origin, and what you would call "white".

By the way, even though I was born and raised in this country, I am not ethnically Arab.

Ok with that out of the way...

Damn, I missed out on all the drama earlier. Just going to respond to stuff randomly. *cracks knuckles*

I don't think it's racist to have an ethnicity preference. But let's be real, when is the last time you've seen a profile with "no whites" on it? Last time we had this talk I asked for any information that posited the idea that racial preference is innate and not just influenced by our social environment. You never got back to me on that one. Is it just a logical outcome that there happen to be more "no rice, no chocolate sorry just my preference" profiles as a result of free will and decision making that is somehow not hampered by social mores?

White supremacy has an implicit influence on gay media and how we and our peers perceive what is ideal on a subconscious level. We're not magically free from outside influence. Since in the past you've suggested that we can't control what we're attracted to, due to some innate means,

I found your other post regarding tanning interesting:

Why would racial preference not follow the same logic as this? If you can only respond to one thing, I'd most like an answer to this question.

I never said that our sexual attraction preferences are not influenced by our social environment. I am pretty sure they are. I've said in another thread that I believe our environment plays a far more influential role in shaping who we are and who we become than our DNA does. I think this also extends to sexuality; identical twins who have identical DNA don't always have the same sexual orientation (see Jason Collins).

This effect of the environment begins in the womb, and the vast majority of human brain change and development happens in early childhood.

since some poster complaining about pictures

so i'll just send a link

do not click the link if you don't wanna see 4 SFW pictures of an asian bear

http://imgur.com/a/mI0dF

not the most good looking/sexiest out there, but i really attracted to him

He's hot. I especially like the first picture. If he had more hair on his body I'd be all over him.

You left out a few posts. He kept promising to reply to the topic at hand and then just disappeared.

Then he came back ~22 hours later and didn't post anything related to that topic until he got called out a day later, or around 48 hours after the post I quoted.

At this point he went silent for 11 days until:

Ok, even if he doesn't want to respond to Kyon, he has yet to bring up any evidence for his line of reasoning that started this whole thing in the first place. He asserted that racial preferences are innate like sexual preference. When pressed for any evidence he can provide to back up that point, he's dodged the question.

Do you mean the posts are overblown, or the race topic in particular? Because if you mean the latter I'm curious what someone from Norway (86.2% native Norwegian) can tell me about race relations in the US.

I really don't appreciate this "detective work" of digging up my months old posts and reposting them.

I just want to address the whole "innate" thing you keep bringing up. First of all I never used that word and as I said above I believe more of human personality is acquired than is innate. So we might actually be on the same page here, except that I don't see how this is an argument against having racial preferences when it comes to sexual attraction.

I like what I like today due to a countless chain of events and the environment (family, society, media exposure, etc.) that shaped me throughout my life. The effects of these influences have wired my brain a certain way, so even though they might not be genetic in origin, effectively and practically they are just as "innate". Do you suggest I start watching porn with guys I don't find attractive in hopes to "undo" some of the environmental and social influence that shaped my brain for 34+ years?

I've never seen a black guy before I went to college. And in my entire college there was literally just this ONE black guy.

To this day I've never seen a black guy naked in real life.

The above two facts about my life apply to Asians too.

Is it more likely that I would be attracted to non-white ethnicities had I grown up in a more diverse society? I would say yes, most likely. But so what? Am I supposed to feel guilty about which country I was born in, which schools my parents sent me to, and what media I was exposed to while growing up?

------------------------

GAF has been my favorite community for the past 15 years or so. It's the one place I keep coming back to and associate with. And recently this thread has been the first and only place I think about whenever I have some thought or experience related to my sexuality that I feel an urge to share with others. I am a very introverted person, which has alienated most of my friends away from me. You guys were the only social outlet I have where I felt comfortable to say things that I don't feel comfortable bringing up with anyone I know in real life.

I'm honestly not interested in doing these mega-posts, spending a long time parsing quotes and worrying about every word I say being misunderstood and used in a flame war against me. I just want a safe, friendly place to make casual, random posts about whatever is going through my life or my mind at the time (and yes, that might include posting pics of guys I find hot), but apparently some of you are more interested in heated discussions and spending hours carefully composing your posts. I am not interested in the latter, particularly because these arguments go nowhere. Nobody has ever changed their mind about something they feel strongly about on a message board. I have enough stress in my life as it is and I don't want this place to add to it.

So I'm out of here.

gerg

I think it's a shame for you to stop posting in this thread, Naked Snake. It was at no point my intention to make you feel uncomfortable, at any rate.

Is it more likely that I would be attracted to non-white ethnicities had I grown up in a more diverse society? I would say yes, most likely. But so what? Am I supposed to feel guilty about which country I was born in, which schools my parents sent me to, and what media I was exposed to while growing up?

I think it's a difficult issue. (And I mean that in a more general sense, not just related to sexual attraction.) I don't think that people should feel guilty about their origins, but I do think it's important that they acknowledge what they are, what the repercussions of their origins are, and then react to them appropriately.

I think it's likely that my turn of phrase may have caused an understanding earlier in this thread, and I appreciate that this thread will be many things to many people, but when I brought up this issue most recently in response to what you wrote (my post #12050, if you care to look) it was to explain that highlighting this as an issue isn't about "talking down" other people's preferences, but about expounding and discussing something that is a real problem.

I am not interested in the latter, particularly because these arguments go nowhere. Nobody has ever changed their mind about something they feel strongly about on a message board. I have enough stress in my life as it is and I don't want this place to add to it.

Well, speak for yourself.

Alcoori

Kyon has a long history of posting the same tired gif of New York closing the door and telling people to sit down or that they're dismissed.

Honestly you shouldn't take it personally, he pops up once in a while in some sort of drive by shooting about how we're all racists who hate black people and we should check our privilege. I don't think any of us are racist, at least I haven't seen anyone openly posting racist stuff, so I'm not sure what he's trying to do besides alienate people before going back to popgaf.

RM8

I feel like it was a jerk move to target Snake for the sake of this so very important discussion that we have had before plenty of times. He wasn't being offensive or anything :/ He just posted pics and plenty of guys drooled over them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom