• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LGBThread |OT3| Friends of Dorothy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sai-kun

Banned
Oh, you. <3 I will happily accept the title of Sai-kun, Girl Version.

"I wanna tell you a secret..."

As stomping and upbeat as that song seems like it should be, it really has this kind of melancholy undercurrent to it esp. in the chorus at the end. It's like the part in Are You Satisfied? where "sad inside" is used as wordplay on "satisfied" in a really earnest way that should be totally cheesy, but the way she belts it just sells it.

Alright, in lieu of taking over the thread with this, I will go to bed now.

Now singing my way through my weekly listen of TFJ. Thanks a lot. And it's been dead for some time now, but here's the official thread for Electra Heart for whenever you get around to listening to the album!

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
We've talked about this before, but here's a video with more reasons why glasses suck: BuzzFeed: 7 Problems People with Glasses Understand

None of these happen to me except smudges, and even then not that often.

It's conscientious considering that glare is bad for your eyes and more people should wear sunglasses (I don't). I think the point is that it's an extra step, take off glasses, store in case, remove sunglasses from other case, put on, etc. I do get basically every point but yeah it's exaggerated for comedy.

Something something transition lenses
that i hate but hey there's that

Ty4on

We've talked about this before, but here's a video with more reasons why glasses suck: BuzzFeed: 7 Problems People with Glasses Understand

Don't have any. The joys of barely needing glasses (at the moment) :p
I think smudges and scratches can be annoying, but I've never found them very hard to clean. I get a ton of condensation when I come home to my warm home on a winter day, but I never wear glasses at home so it just reminds me to take them off before I reach the PC.

If I could add one thing though it would be random reflections. Can't count the number of times I've stopped to look at what was just a random reflection of a light or something.

Edit: Remembered Michael McIntyre talking about glasses.

Labrys

After it only being known to certain close friends and the guy I'm currently with, I was kinda forced to come out as bisexual to my mother the day before yesterday, so I guess I have a place here, now. Hello, everyone.

I've dealt with a bunch of insecurities surrounding my sexuality my whole teenage years, still kinda am. Guess that kinda comes with the territory, though, religious family and whatnot...

Caladrius

I don't mind having them. I look better with them than without. (My eyes are way back in my head and it makes my eyebrow ridge look like a shelf.That and I've got that discoloration near the nose bridge.)

EDIT: And welcome!

Ty4on

After it only being known to certain close friends and the guy I'm currently with, I was kinda forced to come out as bisexual to my mother the day before yesterday, so I guess I have a place here, now. Hello, everyone.

I've dealt with a bunch of insecurities surrounding my sexuality my whole teenage years, still kinda am. Guess that kinda comes with the territory, though, religious family and whatnot...

Don't we all? Growing up would have been a real pain without the internet for me.

Hope your family is accepting!

Mr_Zombie

Who showers with their glasses??

No one. And that's the problem. Try to go swimming or to the sauna without your glasses. Suddenly, you're blind. :(

To that list I would also add winter. Step from a cold outside to a hot inside and your glasses have fog all over your glasses.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
He's probably just moonlighting as a very campy murderer and drug lord. No harm, no foul.

Thanks for the assurance, I was worried something might have altered the friendship. :p

Labrys

Don't we all? Growing up would have been a real pain without the internet for me.

Hope your family is accepting!

The bisexual ranks grow day by day. Welcome :)

I don't mind having them. I look better with them than without. (My eyes are way back in my head and it makes my eyebrow ridge look like a shelf.That and I've got that discoloration near the nose bridge.)

EDIT: And welcome!

Thanks, you guys. I appreciate it.
As far as it goes, it's just my mom in the family that knows. My sister won't be finding out until I move out, as she's incredibly homophobic and she'd be even ruder to me than she already is, I fear.
The internet has been a HUUUGE help, though, I agree on that point, ahah.

On the subject of glasses, though, never had to wear them. I've had 20/20 for as long as I could remember... I do find glasses very cute on people, though.

Yeah I don't like them either, and I'd rather have a separate pair of sunglasses for like variety or whatever. But I usually wear contact lenses anyways because I'm vain and stuff.

See I could never wear contacts because I'm one of those people that's very skiddish about what goes near my eyes. I don't even use eye drops.

RM8

I want to get lasik exclusively because of convenience. I don't use my glasses most of the time, only when I have to drive or I go to see a movie. That being said, I'll never cease drooling over cute guys with glasses. Glasses add something that is super attractive to me somehow... I don't know if it's symmetry, or sharpness or what.

See I could never wear contacts because I'm one of those people that's very skiddish about what goes near my eyes. I don't even use eye drops.

I think everyone has an initial aversion, because it's like a logical reflex to not want things to go in your eye. I don't know how bad yours is but in my experience it goes away really quickly. So now touching my eyes with well lubricated contact lenses, eye drops, etc, is actually really soothing and refreshing :p I can even do it with my bare finger now, but obviously I have no real reason to do that.

I want to get lasik exclusively because of convenience. I don't use my glasses most of the time, only when I have to drive or I go to see a movie. That being said, I'll never cease drooling over cute guys with glasses. Glasses add something that is super attractive to me somehow... I don't know if it's symmetry, or sharpness or what.

I kind of want to get lasik but when I hear that it reduces night vision it kind of turns me off a bit. I have enough nightmares where I'm like in a dark building or field or something and shadowy figures are chasing me, I don't want to add bad night vision to that recipe even though it's unlikely a person needs it very much in real life if their night vision is already decent. I guess driving a car on the highway at night might be bad, for something realistic that might be a problem.

I like glasses on guys, too. Reading glasses are kind of perfect because you wear them sometimes and not other times so variety and stuff. My prescription is like around 3 diopters do I need some kind of corrective lenses so the world isn't just made up of colored blobs.

RM8

I like glasses on guys, too.
CMa1AZ3.jpg

j1Pjz7i.jpg

VUgd6vF.jpg

All mine.

It's conscientious considering that glare is bad for your eyes and more people should wear sunglasses (I don't). I think the point is that it's an extra step, take off glasses, store in case, remove sunglasses from other case, put on, etc. I do get basically every point but yeah it's exaggerated for comedy.

Transition lenses exist.

All mine.

Those are cute (esp the dog) but I'm thinking something involving a beard and stuff (even though I usually don't care about beards) so I can pretend I'm from a 19th century Russian novel or something. This is the best example I can find right now and it really isn't a very good example of what I'm talking about:

Transition lenses exist.

Yeah I know, they were actually mentioned already. They're a cool idea but it still feels like an imperfect solution and I don't actually like them very much for some reason.

_Isaac

I'm not gay but I'd like to ask some advice or some sort of assurance.

Anyway, I had dinner with a friend. He's a very charismatic Christian who loves to spread the word of Jesus. We had a nice conversation about this. Although he's not shy about admitting his mistakes which are supposedly worse than pre marital sex and not murder and drugs. So it got me thinking "hmm... Is this guy interested in men?". I brought it privately if he was LGBT and he said no and the aura became awkward a bit. Although we resumed the conversations normally, he said not to worry about what I asked. Did I do the wrong thing to ask him? :p

I have no problems with LGBT people by the way, I have a few relatives who are and fully support them.

You'll probably never come back here, but that's okay.

You did nothing wrong really. I don't know how straight people feel about being questioned about their sexuality like that, but it sounds like he didn't take any offense. For gay or bi people though, you never really know where they might be in their coming out journey. It's possible that they're still in the closet and are totally uncomfortable being questioned about it. I know I would've freaked out on the inside if somebody had asked me that question simply because I was in the closet, and I wouldn't really know how to react. I'd probably get all red and sweaty. That's just me though. I've always been known as a shy quiet guy, so someone that's more charismatic and open and comfortable talking to people might deal with that question better. Based on my own experiences though, I typically just don't ask, although sometimes curiosity does win out. I don't know where I'm going with this, but I think I'd just suggest leaning on the side of not asking unless you feel you know that person well enough to judge how well he'd respond to it.

A lot of hate for transition lenses, but I don't think anybody has really given reasons.

For being such an elegant solution (in concept) in practice they're not elegant enough. I'm using obscure language on purpose because I'm bored and find this to be a satisfactory answer.

Man, I recently became friends with this girl who had a boyfriend and everything but then out of the blue she says "Do you think I should tell this girl I like her?" I told her "I dunno, do what's best for you" (I'm really bad at relationship advice ok) and it got me thinking how much courage she has to just say things like that and I'm just kind of there being closeted lol.

I also recently had an internal struggle about not letting my sexuality define me if I ever come out to my real friends because that's stupid.

It's been nice lately.

Basically, they look dumb. I believe umop is getting at the same thing.

That's not much of a reason, but there you go. :p

Pretty much. It's like something that you hear about and you think it's a great idea, but then you get a look at them and they don't work as well as you'd hope, aesthetically, or even functionally. I mean I hear they do function as intended but I've never really heard of people being all that happy with them either.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
You'll probably never come back here, but that's okay.

You did nothing wrong really. I don't know how straight people feel about being questioned about their sexuality like that, but it sounds like he didn't take any offense. For gay or bi people though, you never really know where they might be in their coming out journey. It's possible that they're still in the closet and are totally uncomfortable being questioned about it. I know I would've freaked out on the inside if somebody had asked me that question simply because I was in the closet, and I wouldn't really know how to react. I'd probably get all red and sweaty. That's just me though. I've always been known as a shy quiet guy, so someone that's more charismatic and open and comfortable talking to people might deal with that question better. Based on my own experiences though, I typically just don't ask, although sometimes curiosity does win out. I don't know where I'm going with this, but I think I'd just suggest leaning on the side of not asking unless you feel you know that person well enough to judge how well he'd respond to it.

Thanks for the assurance! I knew him from work for a few months now. We usually PM about religion and discuss about it (I know it's a taboo topic but we seem to be both interested in it and share experiences). I was a bit paranoid that it might have strained the friendship or something.

Bleh now I'm looking at a tumblr composed of pictures of photogenic dandies. Some of these people (I daresay they could be called 'hipsters' by some) are so ostentatious, why do I like this.

edit: And all the better if they're smoking because it goes so perfectly with this anomie. Someone strangle me this is too cliché.

_Isaac

For being such an elegant solution (in concept) in practice they're not elegant enough. I'm using obscure language on purpose because I'm bored and find this to be a satisfactory answer.

Well, I'm glad you owned up to it. :p

Basically, they look dumb. I believe umop is getting at the same thing.

That's not much of a reason, but there you go. :p

I've never liked them either, and this has pretty much been my reason.

Dead Man

Bleh now I'm looking at a tumblr composed of pictures of photogenic dandies. Some of these people (I daresay they could be called 'hipsters' by some) are so ostentatious, why do I like this.

edit: And all the better if they're smoking because it goes so perfectly with this anomie. Someone strangle me this is too cliché.

Need a link after that description, I could use the laugh.

Need a link after that description, I could use the laugh.

I was being pretty dramatic because I lack subtlety, and there's a good number of 'normal' looking people too, but (NSFW)here(NSFW)

Also, Avast! for sexy Marlow from sexy Heart of Darkness (sorry that's like the only mariner's yarn I know). Why do ridiculous anachronisms have to be one of the million things that can do it for me, I should have a more significant sense of irony or embarrassment about this.

Well, I'm glad you owned up to it. :p
I think my writing style will always be pretty nebulous. I used to try to express myself clearly and then I realized it took too much effort so I've resigned myself to finding enjoyment in unintentional intentional obfuscation.

Dead Man

I was being pretty dramatic because I lack subtlety, and there's a good number of 'normal' looking people too, but (NSFW)here(NSFW)

Also, [URL="http://wisegaymen.tumblr.com/post/56914094931/wise-gay-men-2914]Avast![/URL] for sexy Marlow from sexy Heart of Darkness (sorry that's like the only mariner's yarn I know). Why do ridiculous anachronisms have to be one of the million things that can do it for me, I should have a more significant sense of irony or embarrassment about this.

I think my writing style will always be pretty nebulous. I used to try to express myself clearly and then I realized it took too much effort so I've resigned myself to finding enjoyment in unintentional intentional obfuscation.

Yeah, while there is a lot of ridiculousness there, there is quite a lot of serious hotness too. Weird dichotomy :) Following anyway lol

Wooo, it's my birthday! 24, I almost feel like an adult. Not that I'm even remotely close to being one :p

Oh boy, perfect birthday present.

Happy that I'm getting older though. Big reason for staying in the closet when I was a teenager was that I always was attracted to older guys, 25+ anyway, and rarely guys my age. Physically anyway.

Also, gay death at 30 is ridiculous. The pool of hot guys only increases at 30+ ;)

Mark1

Wooo, it's my birthday! 24, I almost feel like an adult. Not that I'm even remotely close to being one :p

Happy that I'm getting older though. Big reason for staying in the closet when I was a teenager was that I always was attracted to older guys, 25+ anyway, and rarely guys my age. Physically anyway.

Also, gay death at 30 is ridiculous. The pool of hot guys only increases at 30+ ;)
Happy birthday mate! It was my birthday yesterday, 23 now :D.

scarlet

Happy birthday mate! It was my birthday yesterday, 23 now :D.

happy birthday you guys

Mr_Zombie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom