• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LGBThread |OT3| Friends of Dorothy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
If we can shape our attraction for feminine and masculine traits, then we can decide to be straight.
I think you missed the point again.

We're talking about the social characteristics that are actually not inherent to men and women. Eg, a man may express himself with a lot of mannerisms, but that's how he is.

Hormones make quite an impact on behavior. I'm pretty sure females being particularly sensitive during menopause is not related to society one bit. This is just an example, men have higher testosterone levels, so differences in personality do exist.
In this case there's a peculiar social flexibility given to women, because they're allowed to express themselves more emotionally than men. If men had menopause, they wouldn't be allowed to show it, because of the ingrained boys-don't-cry mentality. Even as awful as it may be, it would be expected of men to remain stoic.

So even though our bodies may be producing different hormones, our roles and what we're allowed to exhibit are still very different. Not because of the hormones, but because of the rules that go with being a man or a woman.

Prove it and become a millionaire :p

I think the fact that men and women are just assumed to have different makeup on a substantial/non-socialized basis is way more suspicious than a statement to the contrary because it seems to agree with a cultural bias.

You guys are reminding me why I despise nature vs nurture arguments in GayGAF. They always devolve into these false dichotomies(also people misunderstanding the difference between choice and internalization).

RM8

I think the fact that men and women are just assumed to have different makeup on a substantial/non-socialized basis is way more suspicious than a statement to the contrary because it seems to agree with a cultural bias.
It's okay that you think like that. Now prove it. Prove that hormones don't affect our personality, or alternatively, that men and women have identical hormonal presence.

It's okay that you think like that. Now prove it. Prove that hormones don't affect our personality, or alternatively, that men and women have identical hormonal presence.

Uh thanks for giving me permission to be skeptical of folk psychology?

Hormones certainly affect our psychology, but what is that effect and can it be considered substantial enough to be making the claims that you are? I think the burden of proof is on you dude. Your inferences are more the flavor of assumption, not that I'm above that, but we can both be aware of it.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
I don't think anyone's making the point that hormones are not responsible for some of our behavior or that they can't affect our behavior. We're simply emphasizing that there are also roles in our society that people arbitrarily should follow.

As you mentioned menopause earlier, a trans woman will not go through menopause, so in that case she will not suffer from it. What would your argument be?

You guys are reminding me why I despise nature vs nurture arguments in GayGAF. They always devolve into these false dichotomies(also people misunderstanding the difference between choice and internalization).
Now imagine if this were discussed in GAF proper.

Dead Man

Isn't the stereotype of the "masculine" quite aggressive, rather than patient? Serious question here.

(I actually meant to question what you meant for a "physically masculine" guy, so sorry for the confusion here.)

Heh, yeah, there are many masculine stereotypes. I would consider the stereotype of masculine that I am referring to as an ideal masculine, rather than an insulting masculine. Very much in the stoic tradition but with large doses of empathy thrown in. For physically masculine I mean broad shouldered, square jawed, dense beard (shaved or not), strong. I don't think those are unique to me when I think of a phsyically masculine stereotype.

I'll say first that this is maybe a perspective particular to me, though I'm not particularly literate on social issues and this sort of thing really isn't my wheelhouse so I can't really say that this agrees emphatically with my preferred perspective, but doesn't the image of someone who uses casual stereotypes as a heuristic seem pretty boring or lazy? But maybe I'm using the stereotype of people that use stereotypes, in which case shit irony etc.

:) I think it is almost impossible for people to function with using stereotypes and schemas. They reduce cognitive load, they facilitate more efficient communication ( as long as the stereotypes are agreed upon) and are generally just a way of having shared terminology.

I'm not really sure what you mean by casual stereotyping, do you mean people using stereotypes to label people and avoiding considering them as individuals? In which case I would agree with you, it is a lazy practice.

You know what's an instant deal breaker for me? Superstition. If I hear the word "horoscope" during a date, my brain turns off and the date is over even if I'm physically still there.

So glad others feel this way.. I can't believe how many otherwise rational people actually believe that shit and check it every day!

mantidor

Some of you are just trying to discuss for nothing. Calm down and stop this please.

But is a thread in a forum we are supposed to argue things :p.

I personally use flamboyant instead of feminine because feminine is literally being like a girl, so I would really use it in, I don't know, a male to female transexual? flamboyant is more specific, there are women who aren't flamboyant for instance, it's a very specific attitude.

RM8

I'm out of luck, guys, flamboyant doesn't exist in Spanish and camp as an adjective gets translated as "effeminate, homosexual" according to Google. No language bending for me :(

mantidor

I'm out of luck, guys, flamboyant doesn't exist in Spanish and camp as an adjective gets translated as "effeminate, homosexual" according to Google. No language bending for me :(

Language wise we gay guys in spanish speaking countries are out of luck, there is not a single Spanish word that is at least "neutral", even "homosexual" itself is kind of an insult.

In Colombia for the more flamboyant guys it's used "loca", literally "crazy" in feminine form, and it's a pretty awful insult if you use it on men.

RM8

I've seen "obvio" (Spanish for obvious, lol) used a lot in Mexico. In dating sites people often state "no obvios".

RM8

I actually wouldn't mind a guy that owns a XB1. Because that way I get to try Killer Instinct :p Then I buy him a 3DS and we're good.

daripad

XB1 is only interesting because of Dead Rising 3, and even that game doesn't look as fun as the other games.

WiiU is gold for me though

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Some people really shouldn't overthink things and harp on every word a person says. As long as the intent is known, whatever is being said should be fine. I like laid-back attitudes.

Incidentally, as said above, ideally I'd prefer a guy who doesn't hang himself like a poster onto the semantics of words, and rather just takes it as it's meant and move on.

Yep. Chillaxxed and Australian all teh way.

Crayons

Banned
Language wise we gay guys in spanish speaking countries are out of luck, there is not a single Spanish word that is at least "neutral", even "homosexual" itself is kind of an insult.

In Colombia for the more flamboyant guys it's used "loca", literally "crazy" in feminine form, and it's a pretty awful insult if you use it on men.

Is that what livin' la vida loca refers to?

Today, coincidentally, the creepy gay guy I mentioned yesterday approached me. He asked if I still hated him, and I was like "...no." Then he was like oh, you remember the creepy things I said to you last year? And I said,"Yeah, why?" but then there were people nearby so he said "We'll continue this another day."

RM8

XB1 is only interesting because of Dead Rising 3, and even that game doesn't look as fun as the other games.

WiiU is gold for me though
I honestly don't want one single launch window game on either PS4 or XB1. Blows because this year I can afford a PS4, lol. The only game I really wanted was Galak-Z, but it's coming to PC anyway. Actually, I might buy a PS4 controller since they'll be compatible with PC natively :p

mantidor

Is that what livin' la vida loca refers to?

haha good catch, probably not though, it's a colombian thing, the song was sometimes mocked because of that back in my country, but the "vida loca" is probably an expression used in other countries without the double meaning.

Crayons

Banned
haha good catch, probably not though, it's a colombian thing, the song was sometimes mocked because of that back in my country, but the "vida loca" is probably an expression used in other countries without the double meaning.
Ah, I see. I'm actually half Colombian myself, but I barely know any Spanish. I know Japanese more than I know Spanish.

I'm basically full Cuban (mom was born in Cuba, dad was born in America with Cuban parents), but I don't speak a lick of Spanish. I never liked the language because the culture surrounding the language was too uninteresting
(which is why I took a few semester of Japanese in college *coughcough*)

It made it difficult to go through 3rd-11th grade because I had to attend Spanish language courses. I even made it into the Spanish Honor Society somehow, which made it more unbearable.

RM8

My man needs a Wonderswan if he wants my heart.
Let's marry ASAP. I'm one of those select individuals who own a WS.
---

I love Spanish, really, and being the second most common language on Earth means I have a very useful combination. I just need to improve my English, lol.

Let's marry ASAP. I'm one of those select individuals who own a WS.
---

I love Spanish, really, and being the second most common language on Earth means I have a very useful combination. I just need to improve my English, lol.

You seem to write it well enough.

Mr. F

Banned
Brazilian parents (and a bit German/Spanish/African farther back), born and raised in Canada. My Portuguese isn't native proficiency - especially reading and writing - but I can speak it well enough to get by.

The Wonderful 101. Probably my game of the year so far. Also JUST picked up Wind Waker HD today with the Ganondorf figure. Will dive into that tonight.

Just saw the photo! That Ganondorf figure looks amazing, hands-down my favourite design of his. Wonderful 101 looks like a hyper unintelligible colour explosion from random screenshots and videos, really hoping to pick it up someday.

daripad

I'm mexican. My Spanish is extremely good but my English is just...not good (and my speaking English is worse).

Poltergust, oh shit! That AA5 was awesome. I need that game in my veins.

Dead Man

I'm mexican. My Spanish is extremely good but my English is just...not good (and my speaking English is worse).

Poltergust, oh shit! That AA5 was awesome. I need that game in my veins.

And yet your typed English is better than many of the native English speakers on this board. :)

I'm Mexican American. I was born in Arizona and lived in Mexico for about 9 years. Then we moved and it's been almost 7 years. Time kind of flies by.

I think my English is pretty good, I still get confused on the pronunciation of some words but when I speak English it feels pretty natural. Regarding Spanish, I only got to 3rd Grade in Elementary School back in Mexico but I pretty much never stopped speaking Spanish and I know how to read it and write it.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
I've decided everyone should order a pair of these dirt cheap grey market Chinese booty shorts that are actually damn comfortable, fit great, and even have a cute li'l jock strap built inside. I want all the colors now!

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
I've decided everyone should order a pair of these dirt cheap grey market Chinese booty shorts that are actually damn comfortable, fit great, and even have a cute li'l jock strap built inside. I want all the colors now!
I'm not really a fan of how they look judging by those photos (the manufacturer and I have different ideas of sexy), but comfort is what matters.

lenovox1

They're cute, and other brands go for at least 3x the price. So if you're easing, so to speak, into slut wear, they seem like a nice entry point.

I was actually looking at those earlier this evening, but was pulled more towards these, because I can't resist shiny things. But I'd have to rely on a small jockstrap. No liner in these.

Mr_Zombie

I was actually looking at those earlier this evening, but was pulled more towards these, because I can't resist shiny things. But I'd have to rely on a small jockstrap. No liner in these.

Those are running shorts? They look sexy and all, but I don't think I would have enough courage to go running wearing them.

Mark1

Haven't posted here for a while, came out to most outside of family (thanks to FaceBook, University societies, etc) and have loved the openness with it. It feels great.

I think one of my all time fave crushes has got to be Justin Timberlake (as evidenced by my avatar). The man is so good looking and was really hot in 'Friends With Benefits'. Has a sexy voice as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom