• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LGBThread |OT3| Friends of Dorothy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ty4on

English vowel system is the most terrifying stuff. And if it wasn't bad enough, it varies between regions and it even changes over time :(

BTW in Spanish we have one silent letter, H. The rule is that it's -always- silent, lol.

Your changes a lot as well though :p

I don't speak Spanish, but AFAIK s in Spain (Ethpaniol) is pronounced th while in most other Spanish speaking countries it is s.

Dialects are awesome though and the differences in English are pretty slim. I think the various Chinese dialects are so different without a common written language they wouldn't understand eachother.

RM8

That's a tiny difference, and you learn it in like 3 seconds, lol. Most importantly, it's an actual rule, absolutely no exceptions. In Spanish, if you know the rules, you can correctly pronounce every word out there even if you had never seen it before.

I think my personal struggle with vowels comes from the fact that the only other two languages I'm familiar with, Spanish and Japanese, are very strongly vowel focused, with very rigid and simple vowel systems (that happen to be almost identical, Spanish speakers tend to be good at pronouncing Japanese). So I encounter English, where vowels are all over the place, and it's terrifying, lol.

Ty4on

That's a tiny difference, and you learn it in like 3 seconds, lol. Most importantly, it's an actual rule, absolutely no exceptions. In Spanish, if you know the rules, you can correctly pronounce every word out there even if you had never seen it before.

That is totally the case for German though. I don't speak a lot of German, but I have no problem pronouncing everything correct with very few rules like ie means long i and ei means ai. French is kinda the same only with a lot more rules. Like AFAIK every e at the end with no accent is silent and stresses the last vowel and every e with an accent is pronounced, ending on que is k'uh etc. etc. It's hard to explain, but there is some logic behind it all, especially if you understand the grammar because every s due to plural form is silent
unless the next word start's with a vowel ofc :p
. English on the other hand has multiple, contradicting pronunciation rules.

I know there is at least German speaking members here and I think a French speaking as well.

That is totally the case for German though. I don't speak a lot of German, but I have no problem pronouncing everything correct with very few rules like ie means long i and ei means ai. French is kinda the same only with a lot more rules. Like AFAIK every e at the end with no accent is silent and stresses the last vowel and every e with an accent is pronounced, ending on que is k'uh etc. etc. It's hard to explain, but there is some logic behind it all, especially if you understand the grammar because every s due to plural form is silent
unless the next word start's with a vowel ofc :p
. English on the other hand has multiple, contradicting pronunciation rules.

I know there is at least German speaking members here and I think a French speaking as well.

I took some German in HS. The only thing I remember about it (besides me being so bad at it) was how many different versions they had for the word "the".

Ty4on

I took some German in HS. The only thing I remember about it (besides me being so bad at it) was how many different versions they had for the word "the".

I loved the chart :p

Der-Die-Das-Die
Den-Die-Das-Die
Dem-...-Dem-...
Des- ... Forgot the rest, but it is a full 4x4 chart depending on gender and cases with Der not knowing where it wants to be. Third case is dative and in English only whom is a remnant of that, but in German it changes everything :p

Do you remember this?
994771_466035176814133_265609445_n.jpg
I like how it is in German. They have to study it as well :p

Mr. F

Banned
10 years of French class in elementary/high school and nothing stuck. Kind of a bummer, especially considering the Latin-based roots it shares with Portuguese. Hoping to get a better handle on it and relearn with Duolingo.

mantidor

For me portuguese has been harder than japanese, english, and I'm sure that even french or german from the little I've seen of them.

Sure, as a spanish speaker I sometimes don't even need to think much, and that is the difficulty, both languages almost feel like dialects of each other, it's so easy to think you are speaking correctly when in fact you are saying a completely different thing, I can get by with everyday stuff without difficulty or major misunderstandings, but something like college level portuguese is out of my league, I understand it of course, but I can't talk or write at that level, even after living more than two years in Brazil.

gerg

Gladly, sound aside, English is shockingly similar to Spanish. Almost identical structures, tons of obvious overlaps (which spawned the "just add an O at the end and it becomes Spanish" thing, or inversely "just add 'eishon' and it becomes English", lol). I can't believe they're not related, I'd say they have more in common than Spanish and French even if they're both romance languages.

Well, they are related. Spanish and English are both Latin derivatives. (Granted, English has a whole load of German and French thrown in.)

Mr_Zombie

I loved the chart :p

Der-Die-Das-Die
Den-Die-Das-Die
Dem-...-Dem-...
Des- ... Forgot the rest, but it is a full 4x4 chart depending on gender and cases with Der not knowing where it wants to be. Third case is dative and in English only whom is a remnant of that, but in German it changes everything :p

Do you remember this?

I like how it is in German. They have to study it as well :p

I was learning German for few years in High School and this was the hardest part. I hated it. :(

Mr. F

Banned
For me portuguese has been harder than japanese, english, and I'm sure that even french or german from the little I've seen of them.

Sure, as a spanish speaker I sometimes don't even need to think much, and that is the difficulty, both languages almost feel like dialects of each other, it's so easy to think you are speaking correctly when in fact you are saying a completely different thing, I can get by with everyday stuff without difficulty or major misunderstandings, but something like college level portuguese is out of my league, I understand it of course, but I can't talk or write at that level, even after living more than two years in Brazil.

I'm in the same boat kind of, Portuguese was my first language technically but I've fallen out of practice. The only time I get any practice is talking with relatives down in Brazil, otherwise I can understand it fine but getting back to fluency in speaking it always takes a couple weeks when I go to visit. Reading and writing is a mixed bag as well, never formally learned.

lmao if u think u can stop him from doing this. it's become a part of him!

Yeahhh I'm almost glad they don't sell it here, I fell down that rabbit hole as well. We were totally enabling each other.

Can I get a "Congrats on Sex" please?

I know that hasn't been newsworthy for me in a while, as I've been a bit of a slut lately, but most of it hasn't been satisfying to be honest. One night stands don't do it for me it seems. Tonight I met the Lebanese guy whom I mentioned before, this was the third time I see him (we haven't met since August!), and boy was it satisfying. It was better than all the one night stands I had recently combined (and I didn't even cum). Hearing him tell me "I missed you" while kissing... Ahhhhhh :D

RM8

Well, they are related. Spanish and English are both Latin derivatives. (Granted, English has a whole load of German and French thrown in.)
Yeah, I mostly mean that I expected fellow romance languages to be more similar.

BTW mantidor that's terrifying, I plan to learn Portuguese at some point -because- it's so close to Spanish, but never considered that would be a double edged sword :0

But, harder than Japanese? I'll remain skeptical :p I've been "learning" since I was a kid and I still feel like a toddler in Japan. Bleeeh. And it's very likely that I'll always suck at kanji. I remember reading it's one of the "super hard" languages along with Korean, Chinese and... Arabic, I think.

mantidor

Yeah, I mostly mean that I expected fellow romance languages to be more similar.

BTW mantidor that's terrifying, I plan to learn Portuguese at some point -because- it's so close to Spanish, but never considered that would be a double edged sword :0

But, harder than Japanese? I'll remain skeptical :p I've been "learning" since I was a kid and I still feel like a toddler in Japan. Bleeeh. And it's very likely that I'll always suck at kanji. I remember reading it's one of the "super hard" languages along with Korean, Chinese and... Arabic, I think.

Reading is another thing, isn't it? even japanese people themselves aren't 100% ready to read a newspaper until at least finishing high school, but grammar and pronunciation are incredibly easy.

Portuguese presents two huge challenges, first you are probably familiar with the concept of false friends, how words that seem the same are completely different, like "molestar" in spanish as opposed to "molest" in english, well Portuguese and Spanish are absolutely plagued with them, you can't trust any word, no matter how similar it seems, how much sense it makes, in truth like 80% of both languages are exactly the same, but brazilians use far more that other 20%.

The other challenge is of course pronunciation, unfortunately Spanish is very poor in sounds, this is also a problem for us in any other language, except japanese, the only thing hard in japanese is the "fu" letter.

At the end the difficulty to separate both is too great, right now I'm typing in english and thinking in english, it's easy enough to "tune in" in the other language, my japanese is probably also the one of a toddler, but I at least can do the same, I think in japanese, even if it's awful, with portuguese though is really difficult to achieve that, it's like tuning in on radio stations that overlap.

RM8

I see. Well, I'd still like to try Portuguese, but considering my main reason was because it's similar to Spanish, it just lost a ton of appeal :p And I don't find "fu" that hard, I have a much harder time explaining za, zu, ze and zo to other people, lol. That and telling them to not give a particular emphasis to one syllable in every word like in Spanish, and vowel length. But even with all of this, I agree that it's very close to Spanish. I'm glad for that :p

GAF needs a general language thread :x Let's resume homo talk. Guys are cute, etc.

Can I get a "Congrats on Sex" please?

I know that hasn't been newsworthy for me in a while, as I've been a bit of a slut lately, but most of it hasn't been satisfying to be honest. One night stands don't do it for me it seems. Tonight I met the Lebanese guy whom I mentioned before, this was the third time I see him (we haven't met since August!), and boy was it satisfying. It was better than all the one night stands I had recently combined (and I didn't even cum). Hearing him tell me "I missed you" while kissing... Ahhhhhh :D
Fuck!!! I miss my guy :'(

He's been away for about 10 days (yeah I know that's nothing but we're just getting to know each other, so I'd just love to be around him all the time).

Congrats on the sex!

Hoping to have a similar story to tell soon :p

Crayons

Banned
I told the guy I like today "Shut up and tie my shoes like a good boy"

His response: You made me look gay in front of
Jenny

Ty4on

...because they were untied and I can't tie shoes.

Whoever made tied shoes into an everlasting fashion is an enemy of mine. I just got new winter shoes that need to me tied and have been very lucky that they haven't cost me a bus yet. I used to find superior shoes, but they seem harder to find :(
They even look better without those bunny ears. (I just did a quick google search)

Trigger

I didn't learn to tie my shoes until I was about 11. lol, I'd always just kind of tangle things together.
I still pretend they're bunny ears when I tie my shoelaces.

Sagitario

BRB. Buying a Wii Fit balance board and Wii Golf HD.

Guy is nice to look at, DEM LEGS! That video reminded me of the almost naked guy playing Wii Fit Hula Hoop and the actually naked guy playing Guitar Hero/Rock Band.

English vowel system is the most terrifying stuff. And if it wasn't bad enough, it varies between regions and it even changes over time :(

BTW in Spanish we have one silent letter, H. The rule is that it's -always- silent, lol.

Uh pronunciation of vowels differing by region and over time is in all languages.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom