• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LGBThread |OT3| Friends of Dorothy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magnus

High res photos from my charity event on Monday finally got delivered to me. Here's me n my guy :)

iYPKIu36E7x9K.jpg

BeesEight

Coffee is gross. That is all.

Also, those worried they'll be single forever...man, I'll bet I'm ancient compared to you. I'm halfway to 29 and this is only happening for the first time. How did people do this in high school? I don't think I even understood what love really meant 10 years ago...lol

You're not old! Jeez, people these days.

But I know what you mean. I think a had a conversation with a friend about that a month back.

Magnus

Thanks guys!

You're not old! Jeez, people these days.

But I know what you mean. I think a had a conversation with a friend about that a month back.

It's old for a first relationship. =/ Haha. I started to have guys regard me as immature and commitment-phobic when I told them I hadn't had one yet. Tough not to feel like you're broken when people say that directly to you. :(

You look great together. And you look very tall

6' - I feel a little dwarfed in Toronto's gay community. Tons of guys over 6', lol. :(

Which one are you, Magnus? And also you had your own charity event? Wow.

On the right! And yeah, it's the 3-month culmination of an Event Management course (part of a larger postgrad program in Corp. Communications and PR). We partnered with a venue and Free the Children and threw the event. We're not talking staggering amounts of money raised here, being an event run by students and all, but I think all told we had around 120 guests and raised around $1800 for the charity after our expenses.

I was impromptu host (we decided at the last minute, lol) - more photos? :)

This first one is my team and I; I'm glad I convinced us all to dress in blue (our event theme/color) -- really popped!

529142_10101733854553652_492107103_n.jpg

BeesEight

It's old for a first relationship. =/ Haha. I started to have guys regard me as immature and commitment-phobic when I told them I hadn't had one yet. Tough not to feel like you're broken when people say that directly to you. :(

I think there's quite a few people in a similar boat. I didn't have my first relationship until 24. And yeah, it definitely feels weird going through all the things most people first have in high school so much later.

6' - I feel a little dwarfed in Toronto's gay community. Tons of guys over 6', lol. :(

Shorty.

Magnus

I think there's quite a few people in a similar boat. I didn't have my first relationship until 24. And yeah, it definitely feels weird going through all the things most people first have in high school so much later.

Right?? I mean, it's almost socially crippling (I exaggerate, but you know what I mean) to be learning these emotional lessons at this stage, instead of back then with everyone else.

Who knows, I might be going through pivotal emotional lessons at a time when my career needs to be my focus, and I'm competing with others who have all those lessons under their belt already. It's a bizarre vice to potentially have near age 30.

BeesEight

Right?? I mean, it's almost socially crippling (I exaggerate, but you know what I mean) to be learning these emotional lessons at this stage, instead of back then with everyone else.

Who knows, I might be going through pivotal emotional lessons at a time when my career needs to be my focus, and I'm competing with others who have all those lessons under their belt already. It's a bizarre vice to potentially have near age 30.

I'm hoping it's not too crippling since I'm focusing more on my career as well. You at least have a boyfriend. :p

But it is a concern of mine from time to time as well. I don't even have any valuable advice or insight for it.

BeesEight

Just went out to Montanas. I was shocked that there was only one female server. Was a rather pleasant meal... though the food wasn't great.

Mr. F

Banned
Just went out to Montanas. I was shocked that there were only one female server. Was a rather pleasant meal... though the food wasn't great.

But man...you get to draw on the table! But yeah sounds like Montana's. I do like their cornbread, though.

KmA

I've tried to avoid gay subjects in front of my family because first of all, I don't want to give away my orientation, and secondly I don't think they would understand very easily. So I was pretty surprised when my older brother was talking to me about this conversation he was having at work. He said he was talking to a friend about how they both agreed that homosexuality is a choice so he then proceeded to ask my opinion about it. I think I hid my inner rage at their declarations so I tried to explain this without sounding partial so I used general psychology knowledge.

I basically explained to him about how there is no choice in our orientations, the difference between gender identity, biological sex, and sexual orientation, etc. You know, all that jazz. I was ridiculously scared of how he would respond because I have heard him say a lot of homophobic things before, but he took a second to think about it and said I convinced him. That was truly alleviating. I didn't come out to him, but now I know he would probably take it better than anyone else in my family. Which is a huge burden off my shoulders if it ever comes to that.

daripad

Seems that your brother is a good guy, if he wasn't e wouldn't have listened to what you said. Is good having this kind of people around and I hope your family is like that too.

In my front, unfortunately, no one would understand me. Fuck the bible.

_Isaac

I've tried to avoid gay subjects in front of my family because first of all, I don't want to give away my orientation, and secondly I don't think they would understand very easily. So I was pretty surprised when my older brother was talking to me about this conversation he was having at work. He said he was talking to a friend about how they both agreed that homosexuality is a choice so he then proceeded to ask my opinion about it. I think I hid my inner rage at their declarations so I tried to explain this without sounding partial so I used general psychology knowledge.

I basically explained to him about how there is no choice in our orientations, the difference between gender identity, biological sex, and sexual orientation, etc. You know, all that jazz. I was ridiculously scared of how he would respond because I have heard him say a lot of homophobic things before, but he took a second to think about it and said I convinced him. That was truly alleviating. I didn't come out to him, but now I know he would probably take it better than anyone else in my family. Which is a huge burden off my shoulders if it ever comes to that.

I love it when someone starts off a discussion with a certain viewpoint and after actually listening to the other side they're actually willing to say "Yeah you're right" or "I never thought about it that way." It's pretty cool that your brother actually turned around after your talk. I had a somewhat similar experience with my sister regarding the same subject. In my family, gay subjects only get really awkward if my mom and dad are in the room because they already know about me, and it's just a tough subject for them. They get really quiet, and I can tell they just want to move on to a different subject. With every other family member, I kinda like it when discussion turns to gay topics because it gives me an opportunity to really see what they think, and how they would react if they were to know. I don't think there's much danger of me outing myself. I wouldn't get all passionate about it, and if I say nothing it wouldn't really be suspicious because I tend to be indifferent about everything.

BeesEight

I always feel the shortest way to answer the "sexuality is a choice" stance is to ask people when they chose to be straight. Usually that's a pretty simple way to address it.

Good on you for talking to him about it though.

hahahha "Did Tilda Swinton eat a pig or something" omg

It's weird. I read the first two books and I have no idea what's going on in the video.

I still enjoyed it. Would probably prefer this summary over the actual show.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
Just went out to Montanas. I was shocked that there was only one female server. Was a rather pleasant meal... though the food wasn't great.
I hate when all the Canadians in the thread have their Inside Baseball talk. :(

I just looked it up and it's one of those awful barbecue sauce slathered meat establishments. Any food that gets your hands dirty is automatically bad.

I didn't see you so tall Magnus! Your boyfriend is very cute.

OMG, lol.
http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/c82d20c5b4/gay-of-thrones-ep-1

Did he just try to make "fetch" a thing?

Similar situation, only my brother actually knows. At first he was kind of a jerk about it, but after he got out of highschool he started being way more considerate. If anything, we have a better relationship now than we did before he found out. Maybe siblings are just more understanding of these kinds of things than parents?

KmA

Seems that your brother is a good guy, if he wasn't e wouldn't have listened to what you said. Is good having this kind of people around and I hope your family is like that too.

In my front, unfortunately, no one would understand me. Fuck the bible.

I also come from a religious family. Gets pretty tough since they are so set in their ways. And yeah my brother is pretty awesome. If he was adamantly against gay people, I'd probably be broken.

I love it when someone starts off a discussion with a certain viewpoint and after actually listening to the other side they're actually willing to say "Yeah you're right" or "I never thought about it that way." It's pretty cool that your brother actually turned around after your talk. I had a somewhat similar experience with my sister regarding the same subject. In my family, gay subjects only get really awkward if my mom and dad are in the room because they already know about me, and it's just a tough subject for them. They get really quiet, and I can tell they just want to move on to a different subject. With every other family member, I kinda like it when discussion turns to gay topics because it gives me an opportunity to really see what they think, and how they would react if they were to know. I don't think there's much danger of me outing myself. I wouldn't get all passionate about it, and if I say nothing it wouldn't really be suspicious because I tend to be indifferent about everything.

Thanks :3. I'd feel really uncomfortable talking about this stuff with my parents because I know their stance. After convincing my bro, he wanted to bring it up to our mom and I was like no way in hellfire.

Also, those worried they'll be single forever...man, I'll bet I'm ancient compared to you. I'm halfway to 29 and this is only happening for the first time. How did people do this in high school? I don't think I even understood what love really meant 10 years ago...lol

I wonder about this too. It doesn't seem possible.

Maybe it's a symptom of being geeks?

so my boyfriend and i went to get our prom suits today :D they're pretty freaking snazzy, this will be my very first and very last school dance, and his too (i'm a senior in highschool) so this is really really exciting <3

BeesEight

Maybe because the current season of the show is based on the third book which you haven't read ohmygodwhyhaven'tyoureadityet?

Oh, well this series is just booking it along, isn't it?

And I haven't read anything else because I stopped reading series that aren't finished. I'll pick it up again if it stays relevant in the next nine or ten years it takes for Martin to stop milking it. :p

Rayis

I'm short as well (5'7) but I consider it a plus cuz I like taller guys and it wouldn't be hard to find them for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom