• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LGBThread |OT3| Friends of Dorothy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dead Man

Yeah... not going to really touch this. The article is pretty useless without a link to the study itself. Colour me skeptical at the very least. For one, above chance doesn't really mean much especially with no mention of a p value which I'm suspecting is pretty weak. Also, these studies seem to inherently slot individuals into either heterosexual or homosexual with no consideration for the wide diversity in sexuality in the first place which always strikes me as being a pretty large fundamental error.

And the results are always rather strange as well. I mean the article mentions hair whorl as being a possible physical marker of sexual orientation. How many people who claim to have great gaydar are looking at the back of people's heads? (Not to mention that many people don't even share these markers anyway.)

I still maintain gaydar is simply confirmation bias at its best. But we'll see if this research bears any fruit despite my scepticism.
My feeling too.

nickcv

There's no need for a more serious text. Gay face is self-explanatory. You see someone's face and you know instantaneously he's a good ol' homosexual.

Best example I can think of is this guy:

andrew-rannells-wwd-mens-week.jpg

images

oooh i love him!
The new normal is cheesy as hell but I enjoy a lot that show... david and brian are so cute together

RM8

While he looks rather homo indeed, I'd say that's hardly a rule. Sadly. The guy with the gay-est face I know (a friend of mine calls him "old lady face" :p) is married and has a daughter - Sure, that doesn't mean he can't be homo, but I'd say it's rather unlikely in his case. This is just not very scientific, I don't know.

CDX

There's no need for a more serious text. Gay face is self-explanatory. You see someone's face and you know instantaneously he's a good ol' homosexual.

Best example I can think of is this guy:

andrew-rannells-wwd-mens-week.jpg

images

WqlrS5cl.jpg

Oh him, I remember him from hbo's "Girls"

yeah I think he's a good example of what people would call "gayface"

Lucario

There's no such thing as gayface, and if you're taking advice from an article that tells you gays have a 'predatory smile' there's something wrong with you. If you see a dude checkin' you out, he's probably gay! That's all the gaydar you need.

edit: gay

Alcoori

There's no such thing as gayface, and if you're taking advice from an article that tells you gays have a 'predatory smile' there's something wrong with you. If you see a dude checkin' you out, he's probably gay! That's all the gaydar you need.

edit: gay

There is, just look the post above yours. That's a perfect example of a case of gay face.

Now there's nothing wrong with that of course.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
@RatskyWatsky: No. Just no. You don't advice people to have sex with creepy stalkers. Sure, Crayons shouldn't be waiting for "the one" (because, I agree with others, you're going to be waiting for a while), but I don't see anything good resulting from having sex with someone you know you shouldn't have sex with. Having sex with someone you hate, just because you want to lose your virginity or because you crave for human affection, is a desperate move, and there are good chances that you will feel horribly empty afterwards (and once creepy stalker gets a grip on him, do you really think he will let him go? I don't think so).

Don't be so cautious - YOLO.

You may call it desperate - I call it daring.

Have fun - deal with the consequences later.

There's certainly no hurry at 16.

On the contrary, 16 is one year past the gay middle age. His gay biological clock is ticking!

Crayons

Banned
So I joined the study group, now it's at four people. I asked Creepy McStalker why he chose that group in particular. He said it was because of the cute guy, as I suspected.
tumblr_mgyavaa5hd1rhybgso1_500.jpg

So it seems that the nice guy is happy that I joined the group. When we couldn't work together for our classwork today because we both were assigned to analyze different sides of an issue, he seemed really disappointed.
Creepy McStalker followed me to the bus again. Once I noticed, my facial expression changed so dramatically and I walked away and took another bus.

Good news: I'm now in the same group as the guy I like
Bad news: I'm not in the same group as the guy I hate

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
The last time I thought like that, I nearly had sex with someone who hid from me that he was HIV-positive, had no intention to tell me about it, outright lied to me when I confronted him about it, also lied about his so-called "open" relationship (and given his "honesty" record, I believe he cheated on his boyfriend more than once), and harassed the friend who told me to be wary of him (while telling me to leave her out of this, but at the same time sending her texts about how I was "sick in the head" and that I needed help).

AIDS isn't a death sentence any more. I mean, like, people can live well into their 70s if it's caught early enough. Everyone's saying that 70 is the new 30 anyway, so live fast die young and all of that. I mean, who would even want to live past their 70s anyway? You won't be able to go out and have fun anymore, so, like, what's the point?

And there are worse things than liars.

This is correct, my gay ovaries have closed and I'm having hot flashes now. :(

Black cohosh and ginseng, sis. Black cohosh and ginseng.

So I joined the study group, now it's at four people. I asked Creepy McStalker why he chose that group in particular. He said it was because of the cute guy, as I suspected.

So Crayons,

You have to tell nice guy how you feel. Fuck the consequences.. they couldn't be worse than him ending up with a Neo-nazi... and you as a mutual friend, getting to hear all about it. Quite the predicament you're in. If you don't, you'll be sitting around, flaccid and alone, wondering what might have been. Yes, quite the predicament.

AIDS isn't a death sentence any more. I mean, like, people can live well into their 70s if it's caught early enough. Everyone's saying that 70 is the new 30 anyway, so live fast die young and all of that. I mean, who would even want to live past their 70s anyway? You won't be able to go out and have fun anymore, so, like, what's the point?

Such as? I don't know, man.. that's really fucked up.

CDX

[/IMG]http://25.media.tumblr.com/360bd0dd077d1a59d5939375ea56db23/tumblr_mgyavaa5hd1rhybgso1_500.jpg[/IMG]
So it seems that the nice guy is happy that I joined the group. When we couldn't work together for our classwork today because we both were assigned to analyze different sides of an issue, he seemed really disappointed.
Creepy McStalker followed me to the bus again. Once I noticed, my facial expression changed so dramatically and I walked away and took another bus.

Good news: I'm now in the same group as the guy I like
Bad news: I'm not in the same group as the guy I hate

You're reasonably sure the guy you like is gay?

Just tell him. Let your feelings be known.

Get it over with and ask him out or something.

RM8

Io7sTuh.jpg

RM8

If he's joking then feel free to point and lol at me.

But if he isn't - he implied it was a-ok to lie and spread HIV because, who wants to be older anyway? Who wants to avoid life-changing chronic diseases?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

Blame the person that was gonna have sex the liar, sis. Never the liar.

(Amidoingthistrollinthingrite?)

Alcoori

Black cohosh and ginseng, sis. Black cohosh and ginseng.

Ratsky I enjoy your particular sense of humor as much as the next gay but you need to stfu right now and sit back down.

Yes it's not the death sentence it used to be, but it's not just a walk in the park either. Meds aren't cheap and you will also bear society's stigma for the rest of your life. Constantly making sure your cell count is high enough and so on.

Lying about your HIV status when trying to have sex with someone IS bad.

BeesEight

If he's joking then feel free to point and lol at me.

But if he isn't - he implied it was a-ok to lie and spread HIV because, who wants to be older anyway? Who wants to avoid life-changing chronic diseases?

I think the size queen hat was getting old. Looks like he's trying to diversify his portfolio.

Lucario

He's joking.

People who lie about that shit should be imprisoned for life, and the punishment for HIV denial should be public hanging. Fuck that shit.

I hope Peter Duesberg dies a slow, painful, lonely death. The man committed genocide.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

I always just assume it's a schtick because the alternative is too horrible

I think the size queen hat was getting old. Looks like he's trying to diversify his portfolio.

Ratsky I enjoy your particular sense of humor as much as the next gay but you need to stfu right now and sit back down.

iKCYIfW.gif

Honestly, I don't know how any of you ever manage to bottom.

idk if Ratsky is being honest now or just being ratsky.

You know the answer to that question deep down in your heart of hearts. <3

Perfect!

mantidor

urgh... my cousin posted some annoying Bible quotes in facebook, the typical homophobic bunch. Back in Colombia my home country yesterday was the big debate in congress regarding gay marriage so the topic has been in everyone's mouth recently, seeing that was disheartening to be honest, and now I'm pissed I wasted my last vacation day with her and her family a couple of weeks ago instead of hanging more with my own parents.

Crayons

Banned
urgh... my cousin posted some annoying Bible quotes in facebook, the typical homophobic bunch. Back in Colombia my home country yesterday was the big debate in congress regarding gay marriage so the topic has been in everyone's mouth recently, seeing that was disheartening to be honest, and now I'm pissed I wasted my last vacation day with her and her family a couple of weeks ago instead of hanging more with my own parents.

Sorry to hear that dude, I'm half Colombian but I was born here so I really don't know much about the country. Whenever I see someone post or say something like that, I tend to never talk with them again if possible. I hope their congress makes the right choice.

daripad

urgh... my cousin posted some annoying Bible quotes in facebook, the typical homophobic bunch.

Does she know you are gay? I dot want to bring this topic again but maybe if you come out to her she will think differently and won't do that again.
People may change their mind when someone that is "straight acting" comes out as gay and start having respect for gay people.

RM8

Do the adult, mature thing to do.

Share a ton of LOL Jesus memes on Facebook.
I want to post an example but I wouldn't appreciate getting banned because of Haysoos.

I want to post an example but I wouldn't appreciate getting banned because of Haysoos.

You mean the ones where Jesus is annoying people and they casually tell him to go away? Some were posted in the last funny pic thread, so I believe those are fine so long as your aren't being confrontational with them(i.e. using them in a debate about religion or something).

Fantastical

Death Prophet
You mean the ones where Jesus is annoying people and they casually tell him to go away? Some were posted in the last funny pic thread, so I believe those are fine so long as your aren't being confrontational with them(i.e. using them in a debate about religion or something).

"Fuck off, Jesus"
I love those.

I routinely "like" or "share" anti-religious comments on facebook a day or so after my christian relative's comment about god or jesus, or they comment that they are praying for this or that. Vice versa too.

At this point I think it is sort of an unspoken game. I'm having fun!

mantidor

Sorry to hear that dude, I'm half Colombian but I was born here so I really don't know much about the country. Whenever I see someone post or say something like that, I tend to never talk with them again if possible. I hope their congress makes the right choice.

Of course it was repealed, our congress, just like pretty much any congress in the world is completely useless. The interesting thing in Colombia is that they are basically aguing only about the word "marriage" and what constitutes a family according to the constitution, civil unions and all they entail have been available for some time, legally speaking the unions are the exact same thing as marriage, if talking about benefits, from inheritance to hospital visits, everything.

Does she know you are gay? I dot want to bring this topic again but maybe if you come out to her she will think differently and won't do that again.
People may change their mind when someone that is "straight acting" comes out as gay and start having respect for gay people.

Oh she knows perfectly, which is the more offensive. As I mentioned before the thing runs in the family, so she has at least three gay cousins, and the whole family knows as well, you know how a latinamerican families are.

ha I almost feel like replying with the lovely story of Lot and his daughters as another example of the amazing morality of te Bible, but I preferred to just leave it at that.

I see that nonsense all the time so it really doesn't bother me, but like mere 2 weeks ago I was with her and my other cousin in their house, they invited me for lunch since I had ben away from home for almost two years, so those little holidays were spent visiting all the family. That cognitive dissonance that radical Christians of loving the sinner and hating the sin strikes me as complete hypocrisy, they obviously think my brother, my cousin and I are completely wrong, so why be all smiles and hugs? It pissed me off so much.

edit: hahaha I should really have posted this little gem, it is even from the same book she quoted.

Ahasverus

Of course it was repealed, our congress, just like pretty much any congress in the world is completely useless. The interesting thing in Colombia is that they are basically aguing only about the word "marriage" and what constitutes a family according to the constitution, civil unions and all they entail have been available for some time, legally speaking the unions are the exact same thing as marriage, if talking about benefits, from inheritance to hospital visits, everything.

edit: hahaha I should really have posted this little gem, it is even from the same book she quoted.
Latin americans rule this thread :p Heheh.

Colombian congress rejected the marriage bill (thanks to some christian treat or something like that) BUT... guess what, it is such a joke that its decision is worth NOTHING, as the Constitutional Court RULED for gay unions to be legalized under the "Marital bond" figure, thanks to the constitutional clause that said "all colombian people should be treated as equals under the law".
So that means we get everything a marriage gets.. sans the "word" marriage. It will start on june 20th.

DR2K

Banned
Woah what did I miss out on?

TLDR; AIDS, gay face, stalkers, lust, and trolling.

Proceed fellow gays and lesbians.

ha I almost feel like replying with the lovely story of Lot and his daughters as another example of the amazing morality of te Bible, but I preferred to just leave it at that.

I see that nonsense all the time so it really doesn't bother me, but like mere 2 weeks ago I was with her and my other cousin in their house, they invited me for lunch since I had ben away from home for almost two years, so those little holidays were spent visiting all the family. That cognitive dissonance that radical Christians of loving the sinner and hating the sin strikes me as complete hypocrisy, they obviously think my brother, my cousin and I are completely wrong, so why be all smiles and hugs? It pissed me off so much.

You just reminded me of my favorite Cracked article.

Casual genocide. For kids!

Mr_Zombie

Most people picking quotes about homosexuality from the Bible choose the one from Leviticus 18 ("Do not have sexual relations with a man as one does with a woman; that is detestable."). Next time someone does that, quote some lines from Leviticus 19 ("&#8216;Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material.", "Do not eat any meat with the blood still in it.", "Do not cut the hair at the sides of your head or clip off the edges of your beard.", "Do not cut your bodies for the dead or put tattoo marks on yourselves. I am the Lord.") or Leviticus 20 ("If a man has sexual relations with a woman during her monthly period, he has exposed the source of her flow, and she has also uncovered it. Both of them are to be cut off from their people."), and see those people's reactions ;)

The funny thing about most of those Christians quoting Bible is that they are only picking those quotes that fit them. The Bible is full of patriarchal shit like the one you linked to (about woman being man's glory) and yet no one dares to cite that in an argument or, even worse, they simply state that it's not valid nowadays (because, you know, we can choose which of "God's words" are valid and which are not, right?). Most people also forget that Church forbids premarriage sex, masturbation and contraception (condoms included) - in the eyes of God those are also viewed as sins. And yet people who ignore Church's teaching and do all this stuff will still judge you for your sexual "sins" by quoting the Bible. :lol

Whoever draw this cartoon has no idea how eyes work. o_O

Alcoori

Oh yeah, because effeminate gays are the plague of this world.

BeesEight

Most people picking quotes about homosexuality from the Bible choose the one from Leviticus 18 ("Do not have sexual relations with a man as one does with a woman; that is detestable."). Next time someone does that, quote some lines from Leviticus 19 ("&#8216;Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material.", "Do not eat any meat with the blood still in it.", "Do not cut the hair at the sides of your head or clip off the edges of your beard.", "Do not cut your bodies for the dead or put tattoo marks on yourselves. I am the Lord.") or Leviticus 20 ("If a man has sexual relations with a woman during her monthly period, he has exposed the source of her flow, and she has also uncovered it. Both of them are to be cut off from their people."), and see those people's reactions ;)

The funny thing about most of those Christians quoting Bible is that they are only picking those quotes that fit them. The Bible is full of patriarchal shit like the one you linked to (about woman being man's glory) and yet no one dares to cite that in an argument or, even worse, they simply state that it's not valid nowadays (because, you know, we can choose which of "God's words" are valid and which are not, right?). Most people also forget that Church forbids premarriage sex, masturbation and contraception (condoms included) - in the eyes of God those are also viewed as sins. And yet people who ignore Church's teaching and do all this stuff will still judge you for your sexual "sins" by quoting the Bible. :lol

I... personally wouldn't recommend this. Most Christians will blather on about Jesus' New Covenant and how it excuses them of all the Old Testament silliness (something something, dying for our sins - it never made any sense but, surprise, it's religion). If you then ask why most of Leviticus was dropped except for homosexuality they'll then likely quote the whole 'no prostitution in temples' bit as evidence that homosexuality is still the root of all social degeneration and the first sign of the apocalypse or whatever.

And even bringing up Jesus' own words that all the laws of the Old Testament are to be observed will usually get ignored because they'll argue that what he meant was that they were to be observed until he fulfilled the prophecy of dying on the cross. There is no point in trying to argue the gritty details of the Bible because it's so contradictory that you'll mire yourself in circular arguments and endless scripture quoting. There are so many differing opinions, interpretations and Christian sects that it should be obvious the fallibility of the text.

But ultimately the issue is people are seeking moral advice from a centuries old document that was crafted by men to consolidate power initially for the Roman Emperor and then for the church back in a time before we had any concepts of evolution, universal human rights, morality, democracy and liberty, social justice etc... etc...

Trying to use the Bible to undermine the Bible is a dead end in my eyes because it's still suggesting the book itself has some legitimacy. Even if homosexuality wasn't biologically based and even if it was consistently considered one of the greatest sins doesn't make it wrong and it should still be legal and accepted. We are well past the time when we should be looking at old dead guys for moral guidance. In our enlightened understanding of the world, homosexuality is about as "bad" as say having anal sex with your girlfriend. Actually, it's as "bad" as any sex but the Bible doesn't like anything that isn't pumping out babies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom