• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LGBThread |OT4| We're (still) Here! We're (still) Queer!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caladrius

About the second question, there is the problem of people indoctrinated by the powerful pansexual lobby's extremely well-funded propaganda campaign that bisexuality can only be an attraction to people of no more than two genders. It doesn't counteract issues pans face but that is one thing they have over bi folk.

I sincerely hope this is sarcasm.

I sincerely hope this is sarcasm.
I was joking about it by exaggerating it hugely. But a portion of the pansexual community promote a narrow definition of bisexuality and go on to say things like bisexuality is transphobic on the basis of their definition.

I didn't mean it as an attack on pansexuals, just that it is a difference between the way the two groups are treated, with bad things being directed at pans too.

Caladrius

I still haven't made that dating site account.

I am too nervous.

Also school.

I was joking about it by exaggerating it hugely. But a portion of the pansexual community promote a narrow definition of bisexuality and go on to say things like bisexuality is transphobic on the basis of their definition.

I didn't mean it as an attack on pansexuals, just that it is a difference between the way the two groups are treated, with bad things being directed at pans too.

Ah, carry on then.

I guess if you want to be super etymologically literal bi implies binary or whatever, but likewise if you're taking such a literal approach pansexuality makes me think that it includes like sapient space aliens and AIs/robots with agency equivalent to a human or whatever. I mean that's fine and I have nothing against that, but if the term "bisexual" can seem a bit cynical because it conjures the binary then pansexual seems a bit speculatively idealistic. Both terms are obviously taking license in terms of what they signify.

This is what I gathered happened, there won't be a test. Bisexuality as a sexual behaviour label originated as a 19th century medical term, and it was adopted by the community eventually. When the issue was brought up of it being a binary word for a not-necessarily binary attraction, there were two major solutions. One was to keep using the word and change the meaning, which has the benefit of keeping the label (imagine if there was a problem with eg the word 'gay' and gay people might feel if facing changing their label) and it was a known term. Using a different label was the other solution, and it has cleaner etymological support and it puts a rejection of binaryism in the label itself. Also it is explicit about it being about more than two, whereas there is a percentage of bisexuals who it is about just two.

In etymological news of mostly-false equivalence, I was surprised to find so few lesbians have any association with the Greek island of Lesbos, and I once saw a supposed gay person momentarily lapse into sadness.

Also I find it amusing when people understand pansexuality as an attraction to all things rather than all genders because I imagine what other sexualities are if they are read in the same way. Homosexuals are all attracted to the same thing, heterosexuals to other things...

Also I find it amusing when people understand pansexuality as an attraction to all things rather than all genders because I imagine what other sexualities are if they are read in the same way. Homosexuals are all attracted to the same thing, heterosexuals to other things...

But people aren't 'things' and all of those things I mentioned could have personhood on an axis that's morally and sexually compatible with us :p I think terms like pan and omni are going to seem a bit highfalutin if you look at the words through a purely literal lens. Anthrosexual makes more sense to me personally.

Rayis

Question for the guys, I was talking about this with a friend. Have most gay people tried having sex with a woman? Can you maintain an erection in such a case? How?

I don't mean the bi people obviously.

I've never tried having sex with a woman but I'd imagine I wouldn't get as turned on as with a guy, I probably would get somewhat turned on enough to finish though.

also, Happy Birthday BlueBadger~ keep singing with your beautiful voice and make your dreams come true!

I thought the eye candy was enough but I see you have good taste in Drag Queens.

HAHAHAHA well the eye candy was more than enough!
the guys made me hard.
But ever since Willam's Beatdown I've been obsessed!! So hilarious <3

I've never tried having sex with a woman but I'd imagine I wouldn't get as turned on as with a guy, I probably would get somewhat turned on enough to finish though.

also, Happy Birthday BlueBadger~ keep singing with your beautiful voice and make your dreams come true!

Aww thanks bb!! My EP is coming out in the next month or so!! :3

But people aren't 'things' and all of those things I mentioned could have personhood on an axis that's morally and sexually compatible with us :p
Yes, I was reminded of it by what you wrote but it wasn't in response to that but things other people elsewhere have said. :)

I think terms like pan and omni are going to seem a bit highfalutin if you look at the words through a purely literal lens. Anthrosexual makes more sense to me personally.
It's good that gays and lesbians have ID labels that are abstractly related to what they are and are less stuck on terms with etymological baggage or being a sciencey-sounding term.

Hello from Japan!

So many cute guys here
I was so disappointed when I went to Japan. I must have had bad luck because I couldn't help but notice how unattractive people were to me there compared to everywhere else I've been. Dreams were shattered.

Question for the guys, I was talking about this with a friend. Have most gay people tried having sex with a woman? Can you maintain an erection in such a case? How?
I've known I was gay (or that I was not attracted to women in that way) since I hit puberty, so no. I just couldn't imagine doing it at all, even if it were to "keep up appearances" or something; then I'd rather just be alone.

And even if I had the capacity to be sexually attracted to females, sex would be limited. I mean, I couldn't imagine myself maintaining an erection (as a penetrative partner) with a man, let alone a woman. I'm probably an extreme case, though.

It's good that gays and lesbians have ID labels that are abstractly related to what they are and are less stuck on terms with etymological baggage or being a sciencey-sounding term.
My entire point is that these terms are taking
liberties, 'pan' like anything that aims to be all inclusive arguably more so. Heterosexual, homosexual, and bisexual emerge from a context where there were thought to be "two kinds of people", so what they refer to is easily implied. Pansexuality comes from a context that this binary is being dissolved. How far is it being dissolved? Well pan suggests all the way to the furthest theoretical conclusion, which maybe we'll need a valid term for some day.

A passing comment that some pansexual people were throwing stones from glass houses for saying that bisexual people were supporting the binary through a literal interpretation of what the word means got turned into a really tedious discussion. Just forget I said anything.

mantidor

I've always found the pansexual label so unnecessary.

There's also a new label getting into the lgbt acronym(at least back home), intersexual. I find the "politically correct" new acronym of lgbti in every newspaper from home to be pretty absurd to be honest, people even throw in a q for queer, it's like we are obsessed with labels.

I've always found the pansexual label so unnecessary.

There's also a new label getting into the lgbt acronym(at least back home), intersexual. I find the "politically correct" new acronym of lgbti in every newspaper from home to be pretty absurd to be honest, people even throw in a q for queer, it's like we are obsessed with labels.

I understand trying to structure some nuance into our perspectives through those things we can make somewhat fixed, like terminology, considering we're like in a stage of transition socially so there's a need for useful labels. I guess I just find a lot of the discussion surrounding these things an awful bore.

Intersex inclusion makes too much sense to me though, I mean consider how many people probably don't even know what that refers to.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
1899345_543244845793352_1627860415_o.jpg
3 weeks without shaving and a funny face I guess.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
The face you pull after finally defeating that boss you've been trying to beat for hours :p Damn I need to get back to Dark Souls. Infamous has taken over my life.

looking good sis

But InFamous is prematurely short...

Thanks sis! :p

RM8

I honestly don't recall seeing many bears. Selective attention at work, I guess :p My kind of guy is rather over-represented in Japan.

Mr. F

Banned
Gahhhh so close to finishing school for good, it's both energizing and exhausting. Been going to the gym more consistently in an effort to be more healthy and am satisfied with results so far, but my schedule keeps getting messed up by all nighters and class. Can't wait for summer (and for spring to get its act together).

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Hnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnngh

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
But aren't most Japanese guys like... you know... too lacking in the pantular department?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom