• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LGBThread |OT4| We're (still) Here! We're (still) Queer!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Twinky guys!

ib0N8vgCOQLNhl.gif

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Both guys on Gilmore Girls were twinky.

Except for the coffee shop guy.

Padalecki became a L'Oreal commercial tho.
tumblr_mxiuduTTet1t1cg3do10_500.gif

LGBT GAF I have weird/tough question which has now had me reading up online. Feel free to read through my various ramblings and enlighten me. My brain has gone in a couple of logic circles trying to figure this one out.

So in the dating thread someone mentioned about being trans and open mindedness. For the rest of this I have essentially placed myself in the situation for examples to challenge this idea.

I personally feel there is a difference between things like tolerance and acceptance/open mindedness. As a heterosexual male It feels sometimes (probably such a small portion of us that are ever confronted with this situation), that people of the trans and sometimes gay community will label heterosexual males as not being openminded because they would be unwilling to date them.

Edit: I noticed I got away from my point here and should provide the example t what I was referring too. So I will quote the post that spawned this discussion...

People who aren't welcoming of the idea of dating someone who used to be a different gender - eh I'd say it's fair. That doesn't make them bad people, just close minded to the idea of dating a trans person. Much like how someone can be a nice person but be turned off by the fact that their date plays videogames, or identifies as a nerd. Speaking of, women like nerds, but to what extent depends on the girl, since it's a sliding scale.

..I just wanna focus on the bolded part.

Now at first glance I feel like well, sure it makes sense that a straight male wouldn't have interest in dating another male, so no that's not an issue of our society and being close-minded. I imagine most of you agree as well.

So why is it we don't seem to extend this same mentality to transgenderd people. Can it simply not be that a person such as myself can fully accept and treat a male to female trans person as the woman they are but not have any interest in dating them without being close minded? Wouldn't the consideration of them and the acknowledgment of their perceived and presented gender imply that I or anyone was not close minded? Being open minded should not mean saying yes to everything. It should only be open to the simple act of acknowledgment and consideration.

It's as if physical attraction and limitations shouldn't be considered by a person such as myself, otherwise it's just people like me being closed off and transphobic or close-minded.

It feels and appears like to be truly open minded with such a mindset you would have to be not only pansexual but blind to physical attractions as well. I mean I probably wouldn't date a woman taller than 6 foot, I'm not very attracted to blondes and if someone doesn't take care of their body I want nothing to do with them. None of these kind of things seem unfair, we should have limitations on what we are attracted too, and to ignore the facts and limitations that come with a fm or mtf trans person would be disingenuous. As such I have never felt transphobic or close-minded to the community and yet, have seen this viewpoint expressed solely because I wouldn't be interested in dating a mtf trans person.

I may have lost my point somewhere in there, but ultimately I feel as if the level of wanted acceptance and open-mindedness can sometimes feel unfair or unequivocal. If a mtf wants to be treated like any other woman as they rightfully deserve, then they should also understand that it's a burden that will almost never be met with 100% success unless the person male or female they are interested in was entirely pansexual. Otherwise physical limitations and appearance both should and do matter.

I just suppose I can't reconcile why I should be told that I'm essentially close minded because I wouldn't date a transgenderd woman. It could be possible that the hypotheitcal consideration of such a situation has resulted in my opinion that it's not for me nor is it something I am attracted to. Thus wouldn't such a consideration be a conflict the the very idea of being close minded?

My brain hurts. Maybe there is no good answer, because it's simply not simple.

Sai-kun

Banned
If you don't date a trans* person because they're an asshole or for any other various deal breakers, you're fine.

If you don't date a trans* person because they're trans* then you might be a little closed-minded.

Edit: you say you wouldn't date a blonde, someone taller than 6 feet, or in bad shape. Being trans* conveys NONE of those physical traits, and I think that's why people will call you transphobic. Because you're shutting people out without even the knowledge of what they look like.

mantidor

I would date a trans man, but really it is a case by case basis, I don't think I'm open to any trans man out there.

I think your issue is more of exposure, once you get to know more trans women maybe your apprehension will dissapear, I do not blame you if you don't jump right away into a relationship with a trans woman.

Rayis

If you don't date a trans* person because they're an asshole or for any other various deal breakers, you're fine.

If you don't date a trans* person because they're trans* then you might be a little closed-minded.

Edit: you say you wouldn't date a blonde, someone taller than 6 feet, or in bad shape. Being trans* conveys NONE of those physical traits, and I think that's why people will call you transphobic. Because you're shutting people out without even the knowledge of what they look like.

I agree somewhat with this,in my opinion you're getting a little too defensive over being called close-minded which is understandable since the term has negative connotations and it's usually reserved for bigoted people. The original statement you bolded says that people who wouldn't be open to dating trans people are closed-minded to the IDEA of dating trans people, not to trans people in general. Now, you shouldn't necessarily feel bad about it, sexual attraction is irrational and everyone has their own turn-ons and turn-offs, even pansexual people do, if they can't form an emotional connection with someone they wouldn't be open to dating them, basically everyone is closed-minded over something and you shouldn't feel bad about it unless you treat them disrespect.

You should post this in the Trans thread to hear responses from actual trans people btw.

Caladrius

I say think about what could be done to work past it, and if you can find no solution there's not really anything you can do about it. and you'll just have to let people down as gently as you can.

I would also like to mention that Burn Notice's narration is the most annoying thing on the face of the Earth.

if I discover that any of you write like that I will find you and I will cut you.

Yeah,this again just sounds unfair. Just becauseI cam accept that they look and act and will be treated the same, does mot literally make a trans person the same. There are differences in obvious physical places, sexual performance and things like reproduction. These are huge deal breakers, just because some people can pass with their clothes on doesn't mean everything is the same. Body type, facial structure, many other things need to be considered and honestly I think were being overly sensitive to the subject if we ate calling out those who take those considerations into mind and say no. Thats not closed minded, its the opposite since its the actual though process of an open minded person considering the facts and making a decision.

I would date a trans man, but really it is a case by case basis, I don't think I'm open to any trans man out there.

I think your issue is more of exposure, once you get to know more trans women maybe your apprehension will dissapear, I do not blame you if you don't jump right away into a relationship with a trans woman.

No.. I think you missed the point here entirely. I know a few grans sexual and a couple trans gendered people. Some are quite good friends, and this really seems like we are pushing too much on others expectations and passing some of the blame off.

I agree somewhat with this,in my opinion you're getting a little too defensive over being called close-minded which is understandable since the term has negative connotations and it's usually reserved for bigoted people. The original statement you bolded says that people who wouldn't be open to dating trans people are closed-minded to the IDEA of dating trans people, not to trans people in general. Now, you shouldn't necessarily feel bad about it, sexual attraction is irrational and everyone has their own turn-ons and turn-offs, even pansexual people do, if they can't form an emotional connection with someone they wouldn't be open to dating them, basically everyone is closed-minded over something and you shouldn't feel bad about it unless you treat them disrespect.

You should post this in the Trans thread to hear responses from actual trans people btw.

Well yeah, that was the whole point of this discussion. Was that I think it's an unfair assessment to call someone close minded because the thought process involved in said decision making is essentially the opposite of that. If it's not you can just make the same argument and stretch it further saying not dating any gender is close minded.

KmA

Hmmm ok. Let's say you were dating a woman for a while. You really like her and everything and she really likes you. She then reveals that she is trans. Do you break up with her because you can't have biological children in the conventional way? Or do you break up with her simply because she is trans? Or is it because her "body is different?"

Sibylus

Banned
It's your prerogative to consider trans people categorically unsuitable to pursue romantically or sexually, but that doesn't hew with then offering specific reasons they're unsuitable... as though every single trans woman will possess those explicit turnoffs. Now that's unfair, calling closing your mind to an entire minority "close minded" is not. Contorting open mindedness to mean you have to be open to dating anyone is a fundamental misrepresentation of what open mindedness is: the simple practice of not judging individuals by the standards of a monolithic category. Same deal with blondes, Muslims, non-native speakers, people above 6 feet, and so on.

So no, you're not being truly open minded on the issue of trans dating. But as I said, that's your right. I'm sure you're a nice and affable person, but it isn't a crisis or a question of your character to appear close-minded on the subject of something. It's something all of us can work on if we're so inclined, including trans people.

Dany

Banned
Gahhhh so close to finishing school for good, it's both energizing and exhausting. Been going to the gym more consistently in an effort to be more healthy and am satisfied with results so far, but my schedule keeps getting messed up by all nighters and class. Can't wait for summer (and for spring to get its act together).

sooon ;)

Replicant

Henry, you'll find that the opinion whether you're close-minded or not will differ from person to person. I personally think you are not but if you get called that by other people, why do you care? You already chose to prioritize your own need over others (by wanting specific criteria for your partner whereby being a transgender does not tick one of your boxes). I do that too when it comes to picking a partner.

In essence, what we do is somewhat selfish and we have to own up to it. We are a bit insensitive and more in tune to our own needs as opposed to other people's. So what's one more negative label attached to you or me? You can't please everyone. To me as long as you are not being ass towards people for being different, you're an okay person. It's okay to keep your preferences.

I only have one trans friend so my experience in this area isn't great, but I would say that as long as you respect that person and refer to them as the gender they identify as, your preference to dating them shouldn't really matter.

Of course in the ideal world it wouldn't matter, but people aren't perfect and have preferences that aren't entirely logical or based on some sort of fear/prejudice.

Even as a bisexual I'm not sure I'd be attracted to someone if I knew they were trans. Why? I don't really know, it's not something I can articulate. Like I said, though, my experience with the trans community is very limited so maybe I'd meet one or more who would change my mind.

I'd definitely like to have the chance to meet more trans people. The gay community where I live is rather big but, as far as I know, there aren't many trans people.

Bailey 87

I would date a trans person and I don't understand people who don't. For example you met somebody who turns you on looks wise, has everything in common with you, and is basically the perfect partner. Are you really saying you would turn them down because they were a different sex at birth.

l_dec2b32f78256e156fa222671d7e9e33.gif

Maybe this makes me pansexual, I dunno. Honestly I've had enough of labels.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
NSFW NSFW NSFW due to the sitename and content, obviously but it's "NSFW" as far as bare men chests in that post: I agree, though.

Sai-kun

Banned
Yeah,this again just sounds unfair. Just becauseI cam accept that they look and act and will be treated the same, does mot literally make a trans person the same. There are differences in obvious physical places, sexual performance and things like reproduction. These are huge deal breakers, just because some people can pass with their clothes on doesn't mean everything is the same. Body type, facial structure, many other things need to be considered and honestly I think were being overly sensitive to the subject if we ate calling out those who take those considerations into mind and say no. Thats not closed minded, its the opposite since its the actual though process of an open minded person considering the facts and making a decision..

The bolded can be true, just like with any other person, which is why generalizing trans people with blondes and out of shape people is really weird, because trans people have an infinite amount of looks.

And if reproductive ability is a dealbreaker then I wouldn't limit your statements to trans people either, since ciswomen can (unfortunately) also encounter troubles in that area.

It sounds like you really, really, really want to not be okay with the idea of dating a trans person, which is, to be honest, really fucking weird. Nobody gives a shit if you don't ever date a trans person (I haven't either!), but don't call yourself open minded if you wouldn't date them simply because they're trans.

RoKKeR

Hey LGBT GAF.

Haven't posted here before but I'd be interested in some thoughts. The guy I am planning to room with next year just came out as gay. I can't say I'm terribly surprised, but it's a bit of a bigger revelation when you plan on living with the guy.

Anyways, I don't really have any problems with it but was looking for some thoughts. He's a very nice, nerdy dude who is fairly quiet and hangs out with the group of guys totally normally. He has never like hit on us or anything and I was obviously ok enough with him as a person to suggest rooming with him next year.

I don't think that knowing this will change the way he acts, which is perfectly fine. I guess I don't really have any questions? Just looking for some thoughts. I mean, is this something I even need to acknowledge? Again, no real problems with it and I heard it from another friend today.

Thanks.

Bailey 87

Hey LGBT GAF.

Haven't posted here before but I'd be interested in some thoughts. The guy I am planning to room with next year just came out as gay. I can't say I'm terribly surprised, but it's a bit of a bigger revelation when you plan on living with the guy.

Anyways, I don't really have any problems with it but was looking for some thoughts. He's a very nice, nerdy dude who is fairly quiet and hangs out with the group of guys totally normally. He has never like hit on us or anything and I was obviously ok enough with him as a person to suggest rooming with him next year.

I don't think that knowing this will change the way he acts, which is perfectly fine. I guess I don't really have any questions? Just looking for some thoughts. I mean, is this something I even need to acknowledge? Again, no real problems with it and I heard it from another friend today.

Thanks.

You should be fine, If I was you I would lay down some ground rules. You don't want to walk in your room and see him snacking on a males private parts.

Also if you're cute I wouldn't drink with him. I've hit on all my cute straight friends while under the influence. what can I say drink makes you horny
I'm kidding...or am I

Last thing if you hear him saying bussy or man pussy I suggest you roommate with somebody else because
tumblr_mvocecDQXV1slj24go1_500.gif

mantidor

I think a simple (maybe too simple) test about your transphobia is imagining your biggest celebrity crush comes out as trans. Would you still have his/her babies? Because I would. He would actually be able to have my babies :O

It is never that simple in real life though.

Hey LGBT GAF.

Thanks.

Don't be like my mean roommate that doesn't let me bring in dates. :p

Joking aside, I don't mind that rule, but we are both pretty reserved and conservative to be honest, you should discuss with him about rules you both agree on, but that applies to any roommate from any gender or orientation anyway.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Man, if Emma Watson came out as trans my boner for her would immediately double in size.

A friend who used to be close to me came out to me many years ago, when I was still in high school. I got the impression that all he wanted was for things to not change between us, so maybe that applies here. Just treat him like you would any other roommate and both of you will be happy.

(And the rules things, like other posters mentioned.)

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Hey LGBT GAF.

Thanks.

Lock your door at night and maybe wear a butt plug just in case he's somehow able to find a way into your room. Also, be sure to properly label your food - you don't want him eating out of your stuff and getting his saliva in it.

Dany

Banned
Sexuality is not a big deal. Sure it'll take some adjusting on your part but it really won't be a thing unless YOU make it into a thing.

Maybe I'm just fortunate to have two straight roommates where me talking about my bf and them talking about girls is relatively the same.

Hey LGBT GAF.

Thanks.

I don't really think there's anything that needs to be said really; you just need to sort out typical roomate rules between yourselves. It is somewhat important to know whether you will be sharing a room (in which case you'll probably want to establish some boundaries so you don't walk in on him with a guy, nor does he walk in on you with a girl) or if there'll be seperate rooms and you're merely sharing an apartment (in which case you'll probably want to establish some rules, but sex-related stuff are probably going to be have less of an impact; ie 'no sex in the common areas' as opposed to 'no sex when the other's in the room'). In the latter situation, you'll probably just notice an extra guy (or maybe multiple) from time to time, just as he may notice an extra woman (or maybe multiple) from time to time.

Unless there's something specific you're curious about, it'll just be a normal roomate situation and you don't really need to acknowledge his sexuality (which is to say, you don't need to keep referencing it around him, or reading into his behaviour with that information).

Actually this has reminded me, I'm heading to university next year and I could do with some (much needed) advice if anybody here could offer some as I'm pretty overwhelmed in all aspects.

Course wise I currently have the following on my CAO application (for those unfamiliar with the Irish system, you sign up on the CAO, fill in your details, place all of the courses you want in order of preference, complete exams in June [everyone does the same, at the same time] and, based upon your results, you get 'points' and you get offered places in order of preference if you get enough points [places are filled according to points so if there are 100 places in a course, and 200 candidates have the course as their first preference, the 100 candidates with the most points will get the course; this is simplified of course]):
oC3ebrZ.png

First, I'm unsure on whether I even want to do Maths; I love Maths, Applied Maths, and Design and Communication Graphics in school (and they're my strongest subjects) but I don't know what I could actually do with a Maths degree as I've little interest in the financial sector, nor if I'll even enjoy the course despite liking Applied Maths and Maths currently. I'm hoping somebody could comment on whether somebody would be able to recommend Maths, Engineering, or Computer Science in terms of job prospects and strengths of one over the other as I really have no idea what to choose and the career guidance teacher is absolutely useless (the extent of his abilities stops at "A course with a havy focus on maths would suit you")..

Secondly, I'm really undecided on the university. "Trinity College Dublin" and "University College of Dublin" are my two preferences. While Trinity has more of a 'prestige' for employers, I'd rather live on the UCD campus, the autism services appears (based upon the website resources available) to be much better, and I know more people there currently so settling would be easier. The courses seem pretty comparable (I've checked both, but I can't really find any thorough comparison on which is better) but UCD's testing format is preferable to me. Mainly, I'm wondering if anybody who was in a similar situation, choosing between a university with some 'prestige' and a university where the campus appears to have a better/more suitable environment, could comment on their thoughts.

Finally, accomodation is another thing I'm absolutely clueless about. If I go to Trinity, it isn't an issue, but if I'm in UCD I have no idea which piece of on campus accomodation to choose as there are a sizeable amount of choices and I don't know what I should be looking for. The three I've narrowed it down to are called Merville (€4,901.00), Glenomena (€5,971.00), and Roebuck Hall ((€5,971.00). What I'm wondering is. first, whether an ensuite is worth an extra thousand euro for somebody who values bathroom cleanliness very highly (and if having shared bathrooms in university has ever been an issue for anybody), secondly, if it is worth the money, if it's better to live where two complexes can be freely travelled between (so there is more people; this is the case for Merville and Glenomena) or if it's better to live where you only have to deal with potential noise from one complex (Roebuck Hall), or thirdly if there are any 'must have' facilities for accomodation to be considered. One thing worth noting is that roomates can't be chosen anywhere unless you become extremely lucky and all are on campus so travel wouldn't really be an issue anywhere.

I know this is pretty long and very 'diary-like' but I am very much 'in over my head' and while I've asked friends, everybody is pretty much recommending to go where they either are going to go, or where they already are, so it's difficult to get some impartial advice.

Is it!? Nah I have no facebook or myspace or twitter and I don't like OT picture thread so when you guys share pic I feel a better sense of community in here. People just seem friendlier in general - not so jaded and nasty.

That's not what I meant LOL. I was just bringing up the fetish thread because some of the posts in there are... interesting. :p

You can post your selfies in here. I probably speak for most of LGBThread when I say that they're welcomed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom