• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LGBThread |OT4| We're (still) Here! We're (still) Queer!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grakl

Describing every. fucking. tree. on. the. journey, is filler, dude. World building is fine and all but if you're spending 5-10 pages on describing a scene... maybe it's time to cut back on that.

At this point a modern Middle Earth translation could be described as: "Go look at pictures of New Zeland. Now we're getting on with the story."

okay, but I still don't think LOTR is boring, so yeah, nbd to me

Garcia

Audiences always like things that critics don't really care for or mildly enjoy. You can't really take Rotten Tomatoes as anything more than a gauge of "oh you may/may not enjoy it."

On an unrelated note: Can I just say how much I have a weird crush on
Seth Rogan despite the fact
he really isn't that attractive to me? I have no clue why! D:

I also like Seth Rogan, he has a slightly je ne sais quoi that I find attractive. He's not that handsome but he's hairy and he has a deep voice. 2 big pluses for me.

About rotten tomatoes: I never browse that site and I don't judge which movie should I watch based on the trailers either. I usually wait for specific scenes to get leaked or featured on Youtube. I watched 3 scenes from American Hustle and I knew I wasn't going to like it that much and I was right. Same went with Osage County: Saw 3 scenes and I knew I was going to like it (turns out I absolutely loved it).

Still, it's pretty shocking when there's such a disparity between critic reviews and audience feedback. It's almost impossible not to think there was bribing involved (just as it happens in gaming).

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I also like Seth Rogan, he has a slightly je ne sais quoi that I find attractive. He's not that handsome but he's hairy and he has a deep voice. 2 big pluses for me.

The hair is the unattractive part. But I've already stated my stance on that.
Plus IIRC he's Jewish?

That twitter photo he posted has me rollin' though. Mostly because of the reaction to it.

okay, but I still don't think LOTR is boring, so yeah, nbd to me

Don't get me wrong. I like the books. I found the movie to be better paced, however. The bar songs weren't the issue for me. The issue was dragging things out to describe. every. scene. It's like "you don't need to tell us we're in another forest, dude. Just do dialog and action or something. Geez."

_Isaac

About rotten tomatoes: I never browse that site and I don't judge which movie should I watch based on the trailers either. I usually wait for specific scenes to get leaked or featured on Youtube. I watched 3 scenes from American Hustle and I knew I wasn't going to like it that much and I was right. Same went with Osage County: Saw 3 scenes and I knew I was going to like it (turns out I absolutely loved it).

Still, it's pretty shocking when there's such a disparity between critic reviews and audience feedback. It's almost impossible not to think there was bribing involved (just as it happens in gaming).

Hm. You sorta kinda spoil yourself. That's interesting. I can see how that's a good way to gauge how you're going to like it.

There isn't too much disparity between audience and critic reviews in the movies you listed. Audiences seemed to like American Hustle over August: Osage County, and they liked that one over The Great Gatsby. Just like the critics. Who knows about bribing and moneyhatting though. I'm sure there's plenty of politics behind the scenes. Although, that's a quality typically associated with the Weinsteins for some reason, and they were the ones behind August: Osage County. I think.

Grakl

Don't get me wrong. I like the books. I found the movie to be better paced, however. The bar songs weren't the issue for me. The issue was dragging things out to describe. every. scene. It's like "you don't need to tell us we're in another forest, dude. Just do dialog and action or something. Geez."
eh, but it's nice to have that sometimes -- almost every other fantasy has a completely different style from Tolkien, even though they generally draw from LOTR. I'm happy if it doesn't go straight from one thing to another, getting lost in a world is fun

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
You know what's a better world to lose yourself in?

Wolfe_shadow_%26_claw.jpg

Sagitario

Best man for my friends' wedding! And thank you!

I was also a best man a couple of weeks ago (BFF's wedding). Pretty cool to be part of the VIP party :D (and it had been a few years since I last used a suit)
It was probably the only wedding where I had honest and good old fun (I even danced!)

Haly

What is this? The cover looks cool.

The first two entries in The Book of the New Sun, Gene Wolfe's seminal work, basically his Lord of the Rings. The latter two books are called Sword and Citadel.
Wiki said:
The tetralogy chronicles the journey of Severian, a disgraced journeyman torturer who is exiled and forced to travel to Thrax and beyond. It is a first-person narrative, ostensibly translated by Wolfe into contemporary English, set in the distant future when the Sun has dimmed and Earth is cooler (a "Dying Earth" story).
Gene Wolfe is known for his obfuscated narratives, ambiguous language and unreliable narrators. Reading a Wolfe novel is like reading a rough translation of an ancient text. Part entertainment, part archaeology.

I highly recommend it and you'll make Mumei very happy if you post in the book thread about having read it.

_Isaac

I was also a best man a couple of weeks ago (BFF's wedding). Pretty cool to be part of the VIP party :D (and it had been a few years since I last used a suit)
It was probably the only wedding where I had honest and good old fun (I even danced!)

Did you give a speech? That sounds horrifying.

alvmew

So GayGAF, I've been seeing this guy for the past week or so and I'm starting to really, really like him. Ahhhhhhhhhhhh. ._.

it says what it is right on the cover

Seriously. I'd probably kill myself if someone asked me to be their best man and give a speech.

THIS. So glad my best friend is already married and so I don't need to deal with that (as I have no one else who would possibly ask for me to be their best man).

So LGBT gaf I could use some advice. I have a friend that's a leans pretty close to a lesbian (she only like dudes that are like past 40 and have rugged looks) and we've been really good friends for about a year now. Well starting this year we are both about to finish college and both of us are sick of GA and want to move to New York. So we decided to room together and get an apartment. Now I'm a straight guy and I don't have feelings for her or anything but I do think she is attractive. Should I be worried about possible sexual tension if I do this? I feel like I can respect her sexual preference and stay her friend while rooming together but I'm still a little worried. Thanks for the advice

RM8

So LGBT gaf I could use some advice. I have a friend that's a leans pretty close to a lesbian (she only like dudes that are like past 40 and have rugged looks) and we've been really good friends for about a year now. Well starting this year we are both about to finish college and both of us are sick of GA and want to move to New York. So we decided to room together and get an apartment. Now I'm a straight guy and I don't have feelings for her or anything but I do think she is attractive. Should I be worried about possible sexual tension if I do this? I feel like I can respect her sexual preference and stay her friend while rooming together but I'm still a little worried. Thanks for the advice
100% of my friends are straight. Some of them are attractive, and it's not really a problem for me. To me it's easy to separate friends from "fair game" people :p So really, only you can know if it's a good idea or not. IMO it shouldn't be a problem if it hasn't been one so far.

100% of my friends are straight. Some of them are attractive, and it's not really a problem for me. To me it's easy to separate friends from "fair game" people :p So really, only you can know if it's a good idea or not.

Feeling like it's a good idea. We are seriously best friends. Talking every day about movies and shit. Maybe I'm worrying about nothing.

RM8

You probably are :p IMO a strong friendship bypasses any other intention you might have. It downright weirds me out to think of my friends as anything else.

Garcia

If there's one movie I regret missing on IMAX 3D that would be Gravity.
God damn it what a ride, it's so good. Worth every Oscar it got.

Also watched Paprika for the first time. Besides the usual mindfuck you get with most anime movies I was thoroughly entertained, it's really good (and the theme song is fantastic).

Nebraska, well. . .It's definitely better than American Hustle but not as good as Osage County. It has its moments and I laughed quite a lot during the movie but I feel they stretched the "appreciation" shots way too much. An entertaining movie regardless.

I can't decide between games... sigh...
okay would you guys buy Bayonetta or Tales of Symphonia
I want to play Bayonetta but the whole nudity thing just kind of makes me uncomfortable.

Well I just spent the last 4 hours on youtube watching british people trying american food (lol "food". It was mostly candy) thanks a thread here.

Haly

I want to play Bayonetta but the whole nudity thing just kind of makes me uncomfortable.

Symphonia is a good game. I really wanted to get into Bayonetta but my eyes tire out quickly and there was just too much stuff going on at once for me to play for any moderate length of time.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak

You never see boobs or vaginas on Bayonetta. She self censors her areas and its pretty tongue in cheek. Game is great and you deserve to play it.

Tales of Symphonia the PS3 localization was butchered a bit on areas despite being fine in the GC game, framerate downgraded and visuals effects changed. Still worth owning it. Also Symphonia as much as I might love the game it feels dated in many aspects (Yet it has the best dungeons in the 3D Tales of Games and probably the more memorable albeit a bit cliche story of the bunch)

Kangi

Tales of Symphonia is amazing, and that's from someone who usually doesn't like JRPGs at all. I can't vouch for Bayonetta, though from what I've seen it's "Great, but all over the place".

(ToS was one of my favorite RPGs on the GameCube, but...) Bayonetta, and it isn't even close. She's just a little bit cheeky. (And flawless.) It's one of the best games out there, especially in the action genre. I hate fanservice more than anyone, mind.

Alrus

Bayonetta is the best action game of last gen, the PS3 version isn't as good as the 360 though. I can't wait for Bayonetta 2 to come out.

You should be fine if you guys are truly friends. The idea that a guy and girl can't be friend because it will ultimately end up with sexual tention is ridiculous. I have tons of straight friends and the thought of having sex with them hasn't crossed my mind even once.

I don't remember a lot of nudity from Bayonetta but I would go with Tales of Symphonia chronicles. Its 2 games.. both of which are pretty long.

Grakl

not a fan of tales of symphonia, and bayonetta was my favorite action game last gen -- platinum games is amazing

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Well I just spent the last 4 hours on youtube watching british people trying american food (lol "food". It was mostly candy) thanks a thread here.

I guess that's better than 6 hours of spectating matches?

Mumei

The first two entries in The Book of the New Sun, Gene Wolfe's seminal work, basically his Lord of the Rings. The latter two books are called Sword and Citadel.

Gene Wolfe is known for his obfuscated narratives, ambiguous language and unreliable narrators. Reading a Wolfe novel is like reading a rough translation of an ancient text. Part entertainment, part archaeology.

I highly recommend it and you'll make Mumei very happy if you post in the book thread about having read it.

^________^

Hige

If there's one movie I regret missing on IMAX 3D that would be Gravity.
God damn it what a ride, it's so good. Worth every Oscar it got.
It was amazing in IMAX 3D, but what a garbage film. It's like "Heavy Breathing and Bad Luck: The Movie" with all the coincidental things that keep happening throughout the film. Given all the bad things that kept happening, I am convinced that
she gets eaten by a crocodile
when it fades to black. I liked Children of Men so I was so disappointed lol.

Alrus

It was amazing in IMAX 3D, but what a garbage film. It's like "Heavy Breathing and Bad Luck: The Movie" with all the coincidental things that keep happening throughout the film. Given all the bad things that kept happening, I am convinced that
she gets eaten by a crocodile
when it fades to black. I liked Children of Men so I was so disappointed lol.

Kind of wish she would have drowned at the end just to see the audience reactions, it would have been such a giant fuck you to them.

Bladenic

This guy I started talking to over the weekend is so cute omg

And he said he's going to dental school, yesssss get that money

Only problem is he's a vers top ugh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom