• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LGBThread |OT4| We're (still) Here! We're (still) Queer!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't be vague now.

Ain't it getting a bit out of hand, though? I may be wrong, but Japan doesn't allow gay marriage, sadly. They didn't want to add it in, they don't care about it, the end. It's damn annoying, yes. I'm showing my annoyance by simply not buying it. If people are annoyed, and Nintendo is wrong (Which I think they are regardless), they'd realise it by the sales figures. Seriously, though. Every single person who doesn't like gay people doesn't want to hear from a single gay person. So fuck 'em. Ignore them entirely in return.

And I simply don't want to talk about the people who actually fully support Nintendo on this.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
The problem is, they won't notice the lack of your sales. As a minority group with significantly lower purchasing power than the majority, it's difficult to "vote with your wallet" because for companies as big as Nintendo, your wallet might as well not exist.

The only way to get them to take note is to raise a huge fucking stink, and while doing so may succeed only in drawing out the trolls, it's worthwhile, certainly more than remaining silent and hoping people change of their own accord.

Ain't nobody got time for that.

Marcel

The problem is, they won't notice the lack of your sales. As a minority group with significantly lower purchasing power than the majority, it's difficult to "vote with your wallet" because for companies as big as Nintendo, your wallet might as well not exist.

The only way to get them to take note is to raise a huge fucking stink, and while doing so may succeed only in drawing out the trolls, it's worthwhile, certainly more than remaining silent and hoping people change of their own accord.

That's how I feel as well. Nobody ever got anywhere by saying "Who cares it's just X thing", fucking off and giving up. Sadly there are people telling me to do just that in the thread as well.

Ty4on

Yeah I know! That's what it looks like to me too. Maybe I didn't give my Nexus enough time to focus because it was a long distance shot and the guy was moving back and forth really fast.

Out of focus it wouldn't have the blocks or moire, but it's easy to think with the awful focusing system Google put on the Nexus. My Nexus 4 catches perfect focus, goes too far and then says it's in focus... When I'm in focus it refocuses when I take the picture and gets it wrong.

Also the focus on a cell phone camera is only needed for very close objects. Even with SLR lenses that have much shorter depth of fields the difference between 15m and infinity focus is very small.

RM8

Tomodachi Life is the product of a 54 years old male video game designer, not a social statement by an entire company and also not a reflection of an entire country. Just last year we were playing Animal Crossing, which as pointed out in this thread, literally tells you stuff like "it's okay to dress as a female if you're male". So I agree with the sentiment that it sucks that the game is not inclusive, but I don't think it's a result of Nintendo or Japan (especially when we know gender ambiguity is a big no for NOA and not for NCL) being against diversity, equality, etc.

Eh, I wasn't hoping for change. I know already that change just doesn't happen. Well, maybe it is because I am just far too tired of hearing it over and over again. Sorry. I don't blame you for wanting to kick up a fuss (In fact, well done), but I don't believe it would work. If it does, a dozen more instances of homophobia arise, anyway.

Ain't it getting a bit out of hand, though? I may be wrong, but Japan doesn't allow gay marriage, sadly. They didn't want to add it in, they don't care about it, the end. It's damn annoying, yes. I'm showing my annoyance by simply not buying it. If people are annoyed, and Nintendo is wrong (Which I think they are regardless), they'd realise it by the sales figures. Seriously, though. Every single person who doesn't like gay people doesn't want to hear from a single gay person. So fuck 'em. Ignore them entirely in return.

And I simply don't want to talk about the people who actually fully support Nintendo on this.
At this point, I don't think anyone is expecting them to go back and change the code on a 2 year old game. They could have handled their response better, however. Something along the lines of 'the West is finally receiving this incredibly popular Japanese franchise and more inclusive options considered for future versions.'

Not 'we didn't intend to make any social commentary' in a title that already allows Miis to marry each other and have babies. I feel like some of the dialogue in Animal Crossing really made people think that Nintendo was turning a new social leaf, so this seems like a few steps back.

Sai-kun

Banned

33 out of 50 states don't allow it, and yet it's been a part of The Sims since 1994. And like someone said in the other thread, murder is illegal in every state and yet GTA games keep getting made.

Nintendo really fucked up their PR statement, and that's why there's backlash. I think anyone with a slight understanding of game development knows that nothing is going to happen, but maybe they'll at least be aware next time.

RM8

The PR statement was inherently dumb because Bill Trinen doesn't get to decide or change anything (and I mean for future games, this ship clearly had sailed years ago). There's nothing he could have said that wouldn't have been pointless.

Delio

33 out of 50 states don't allow it, and yet it's been a part of The Sims since 1994. And like someone said in the other thread, murder is illegal in every state and yet GTA games keep getting made.

Nintendo really fucked up their PR statement, and that's why there's backlash. I think anyone with a slight understanding of game development knows that nothing is going to happen, but maybe they'll at least be aware next time.

I think thats the best thing that can come from this. Them being aware for the next game and making sure it's there for people.

Meanwhile I will have Sims 4 this year to have my amazing gay relationships in ^_^

mantidor

Gay people usually have more disposable income on average thanks to the no kids thing. That is changing now I would guess.

Tomodachi Life is the product of a 54 years old male video game designer, not a social statement by an entire company and also not a reflection of an entire country. Just last year we were playing Animal Crossing, which as pointed out in this thread, literally tells you stuff like "it's okay to dress as a female if you're male". So I agree with the sentiment that it sucks that the game is not inclusive, but I don't think it's a result of Nintendo or Japan (especially when we know gender ambiguity is a big no for NOA and not for NCL) being against diversity, equality, etc.

Pretty much.

I feel far more offended by so many other games that no one bats an eye to. The violence, misogyny, and even racism of actually popular games merits a 20 pages long thread, not some crazy, weird 2 year old game that happens to have an option for marriage.

I mean is GTA homophobic because I can't hire male prostitutes? you are not going to see that thread any time soon.

They are aware. One of two scenarios is going to happen, the sequel will have no romance options whatsoever, or the game will never leave Japan.

I think thats the best thing that can come from this. Them being aware for the next game and making sure it's there for people.

Meanwhile I will have Sims 4 this year to have my amazing gay relationships in ^_^

They shouldn't have made a PR statement like that. Obviously it's way too late to change the game, so hopefully it's included in the next game.

That being said, I don't really care if I can or cannot marry in Tomodachi Life. I'm not throwing up arms up in the air or getting my pitchfork.

RM8

Yeah, I'm also not angry or anything about it. Being honest it's very difficult for me to care about such things. I may even play as an Iwata Mii, lol. Do I wish it was more inclusive? Absolutely, but only if Fire Emblem gets it right first :p

Ty4on

I remember quite clearly when it was new in 2000 :p

Gives me more reasons to dislike Sakamoto other than killing Metroid.
I mean is GTA homophobic because I can't hire male prostitutes? you are not going to see that thread any time soon.
No character creation. There are also tons of people displeased with the stereotypes in GTA V, but they get yelled at if they speak up.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Someone in that thread brought up a good point.

I want homos in my next Harvest Moon.

RM8

Guys, straight from Nintendo:
Nintendo said:
We pledge that if we create a next installment in the Tomodachi series, we will strive to design a game-play experience from the ground up that is more inclusive, and better represents all players.

Do you know what this means? No more Tomodachi games, ever. Lol.

daripad

I dig your World Cup avatar addition! I'm gonna get on that when I'm home from work :3

*blushes* thanks. I wasn't feeling it at all but now that it is getting closer I'm excited for this World Cup. I know Mexico won't do shit (dat group) but it will be worth watching it for eye candy alone :p

*blushes* thanks. I wasn't feeling it at all but now that it is getting closer I'm excited for this World Cup. I know Mexico won't do shit (dat group) but it will be worth watching it for eye candy alone :p

It's okay.. It's not like Italy's done much better lately ;____; Although we did make it to the finals of the Euro Cup!

In other news, I went here the other day with my friends and it was sooooo cool!!

Alrus

I'm honestly impressed by the proportion the Miiquality campaign has taken. I thought it was going to be ignored because not a lot of people would care about Tomodachi in the first place. (tbh, past the weirdness it doesn't look like a very fun game).

Also really surprised the uproar came for this game and not, say, Fire Emblem.

Guys, straight from Nintendo:

Do you know what this means? No more Tomodachi games, ever. Lol.

Haha yeah, some in Japan is probably getting reprimanded for pushing for the localization. "See, Sato-san? Look at the trouble you've caused! Tch!".

But seriously, it's nice that they gave some sort of answer. I expected them to ignore this.

Delio

They shouldn't have made a PR statement like that. Obviously it's way too late to change the game, so hopefully it's included in the next game.

That being said, I don't really care if I can or cannot marry in Tomodachi Life. I'm not throwing up arms up in the air or getting my pitchfork.

I agree they should have never said the first statement. The second one was right on the nose with what they should have said. Although it didnt upset me much considering a lot of other issues that are present in gaming.

Yeah, I'm also not angry or anything about it. Being honest it's very difficult for me to care about such things. I may even play as an Iwata Mii, lol. Do I wish it was more inclusive? Absolutely, but only if Fire Emblem gets it right first :p

I wish Fire Emblem and Persona had male romancing options. Sadly I dont think there will be a huge uproar over Persona for that :/

Caladrius

I
Also really surprised the uproar came for this game and not, say, Fire Emblem.

People complained, but it was mitigated by the fact that FE mostly uses marriage to facilitate offspring.

I wanted to marry Inigo, dammit.

Sadly I dont think there will be a huge uproar over Persona for that :/

They almost implemented one in 4 for Yosuke.

To say nothing of Persona 2: Innocent Sin

RM8

I'll be perfectly honest, I don't care one bit about in-game romance of any kind, so in reality it doesn't affect me one bit. I'm not a fan of games that revolve around dating sim elements. But I'd think it's cool if these games would offer more options for more people.

As a Persona-illiterate person, do you usually have to date someone from the cast or anything?

Delio

People complained, but it was mitigated by the fact that FE mostly uses marriage to facilitate offspring.

I wanted to marry Inigo, dammit.

They almost implemented one in 4 for Yosuke.

To say nothing of Persona 2: Innocent Sin

Well I'm hoping for Persona 5 to be the one they finally add a gay /lesbian option to.

I'll be perfectly honest, I don't care one bit about in-game romance of any kind, so in reality it doesn't affect me one bit. I'm not a fan of games that revolve around dating sim elements. But I'd think it's cool if these games would offer more options for more people.

As a Persona-illiterate person, do you usually have to date someone from the cast or anything?

You dont HAVE to date anyone really. You can have everyone just be a friend.

Mr. F

Banned
I know comment sections are typically the worst but reading some in light of the tomodochi business and some here on gaf bums me the fuck out. I need an internet vacation

Caladrius

I know comment sections are typically the worst but reading some in light of the tomodochi business and some here on gaf bums me the fuck out. I need an internet vacation

This is why you rarely see me on other parts of the board, it's fucking obnoxious.

Koppai

Am I doing gays everywhere a disservice by buying Tomodachi Life (eventually when I have a job again lol...)?

The answer that Nintendo posted now should have been said first, this just shows that Nintendo is unprepared to be questioned about such issues. Their answer is fair but I assume that means we probably won't see anymore Tomodachi games if the game doesn't sell much. Where's the next Starfy game? :p

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
But you have won the World Cup four times, why would you want more of them? heh
P18Hbo6.jpg

Nothing wrong with a few more :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom