• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LGBThread |OT4| We're (still) Here! We're (still) Queer!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It goes like that in the States? There's a "fundraiser" before the wedding reception? Eek! Here in Croatia, the wedding reception is the fundraiser. The worst thing is that in the region where I live (the eastern part), those receptions are huge, there's always over 300-400 people... I remember when one of my cousins had 700 people at his wedding reception, I shit you not. Not only his relatives, neighbors, close friends, but probably every acquaintance he met, lol

This is how I'd like for my "reception" to look like, if I ever got married. Nothing overblown, something very simple for me and my loved ones.
At least where I'm from (heavily Irish, Italian, Catholic) it's customary to have an engagement party within six months of the engagement which is, on average, about two years away from the actual wedding date. This is typically held at a hall or restaurant, can sometimes have a DJ, and doesn't have a registry... so cash gifts are just assumed. In my experience, the groom's family handles the expenses of this event, since it's "traditional" for the bride's family to pay for the majority of the actual wedding reception (because reasons).

And I don't think I've even MET 700 people in my life. Weddings here can get pretty large, too. It has nothing to do with who the bride and groom actually know or want at their wedding, it's more about the parents/family of the couple who NEED to invite cousins X,Y,Z, family friend F through G, because they "have" to (lest you be spoken about behind your back!). It's actually one of the primary causes of stress during the planning phases of the wedding from my observations and, since the parents are usually footing a good portion of the bill, the couple's hands are usually tied.

I wouldn't mind having something in a venue, mind you, but nothing in the range of 200-300 people. I would also want to be able to pay for the wedding between the two of us, rather than have to answer to another third party (be it his family or mine) when making decisions on the matter.

I'm done with my wedding rant now, I promise. It's been bottling up over the past few years...

GCX

Last year my sister and her husband had a civil wedding and after that a wedding party with about 25 or so closest friends and family. It was a nice little event.

If I ever get married I'll probably have something very similar.

... Gosh, why would I waste money on a wedding party? Why should I provide for others when my entire attention should be on my significant other...? I'll just buy some cake (Because cake is delicious), mention the wedding to others before saying that they will not be invited to the party, and then fuck away off from where I live, never to return!

... In theory.

scarlet

I always wanna have beautiful wedding with 50 guests max in pretty place like a beach.

But now, all I want is city hall with 5 close friends.

Vazduh

At least where I'm from (heavily Irish, Italian, Catholic) it's customary to have an engagement party within six months of the engagement which is, on average, about two years away from the actual wedding date. This is typically held at a hall or restaurant, can sometimes have a DJ, and doesn't have a registry... so cash gifts are just assumed. In my experience, the groom's family handles the expenses of this event, since it's "traditional" for the bride's family to pay for the majority of the actual wedding reception (because reasons).

And I don't think I've even MET 700 people in my life. Weddings here can get pretty large, too. It has nothing to do with who the bride and groom actually know or want at their wedding, it's more about the parents/family of the couple who NEED to invite cousins X,Y,Z, family friend F through G, because they "have" to (lest you be spoken about behind your back!). It's actually one of the primary causes of stress during the planning phases of the wedding from my observations and, since the parents are usually footing a good portion of the bill, the couple's hands are usually tied.

I wouldn't mind having something in a venue, mind you, but nothing in the range of 200-300 people. I would also want to be able to pay for the wedding between the two of us, rather than have to answer to another third party (be it his family or mine) when making decisions on the matter.

I'm done with my wedding rant now, I promise. It's been bottling up over the past few years...

I'm glad you wrote about it, I love learning about different cultures and their customs! So it seems a few of the customs are similar to Croatian ones, which shouldn't be surprising since Italy and Croatia are practically neighbor countries (and Croatia is a predominantly Catholic country).

As for respecting the couple's parents's wishes, it's the same here. So many large wedding receptions are held that way simply because the parents wish so, and since they're the ones covering the reception costs, their wishes have to be respected.

So cash gifts are given during the engagement party? In my country it's always during the wedding reception. Thankfully one of the old customs isn't practiced anymore, the one during which the gifts were read out loud in front of everybody, meaning that if someone gave 500 $ to the newlyweds, whoever was the host of the reception would take the mic and then say: "xx gave 500 $". The horror.

Your idea of 200 people sounds reasonable, and I hope you get your way someday. But first of all, I hope you find a soulmate who you'll spend the rest of your life with :)

red13th

Xinvenk.gif

Chris Pratt <3 <3 <3

I'm glad you wrote about it, I love learning about different cultures and their customs! So it seems a few of the customs are similar to Croatian ones, which shouldn't be surprising since Italy and Croatia are practically neighbor countries (and Croatia is a predominantly Catholic country).

As for respecting the couple's parents's wishes, it's the same here. So many large wedding receptions are held that way simply because the parents wish so, and since they're the ones covering the reception costs, their wishes have to be respected.

So cash gifts are given during the engagement party? In my country it's always during the wedding reception. Thankfully one of the old customs isn't practiced anymore, the one during which the gifts were read out loud in front of everybody, meaning that if someone gave 500 $ to the newlyweds, whoever was the host of the reception would take the mic and then say: "xx gave 500 $". The horror.

Your idea of 200 people sounds reasonable, and I hope you get your way someday. But first of all, I hope you find a soulmate who you'll spend the rest of your life with :)
Hey, if I can turn my jaded ramblings into an informative rant, I'm all for it!

Yeah, I mean a lot of people give money for both the engagement party AND wedding. Unless you want to pick something off of the gift registry. And wow, they used to read out gifts and dollar amounts during? That seems... like a breach of confidentiality or something... That brings Catholic guilt to a whole new level.

Well thank you! And same to you, sir. Yeah. Those plans are honestly so far down the pipeline that I don't have anything other than hazy generalities planned. Can't put the cart before the horse, after all!

KiN0

Is anyone here a fan of How to Train Your Dragon? It looks like one of the characters will be coming out as gay.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Grakl chose the worst time to be self banned.

LOL I love all of them!!
addicted to the series to the point where I've memorized most of the scripts
but I love how dorky Apollo is :p

Actually, my favourite character is Damon Gant~ He's just so... Jolly!
For a true bastard, anyway.
And, while I haven't memorised the script, a few lines have stood out to me.

Also, stupid question... Is the Blue Badger the cause of your username~? If so, I should greet you with "What the hell was that wriggling piece of plywood!?" from now on~

Actually, my favourite character is Damon Gant~ He's just so... Jolly!
For a true bastard, anyway.
And, while I haven't memorised the script, a few lines have stood out to me.

Also, stupid question... Is the Blue Badger the cause of your username~? If so, I should greet you with "What the hell was that wriggling piece of plywood!?" from now on~

The answer to your question is "YESSSSS". LOL. And I give you special permission to do so :p

Awesome regarding HTTYD 2. Movie is going to be amazing and hopefully it snags an award this year unlike the first. We gotta support the director Dean Deblois who is gay too!

RM8

You might be over-thinking it :p

I ideally would prefer to be with someone with similar views about such issues, but if you otherwise completely click with him then I think you should start worrying only once you hit an actual "wall" with it. I think you guys can work it out by being completely respectful of each other's position.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Yeah, I tend to overthink things. But I think you have a point. This is mostly nerves speaking, and I don't want something like to ruin what may end up being a great thing.

(Check the edit I made though, I added a couple more thoughts lol)

Lucario

Oh? Which one?

toothless, duh

he's gonna get a dragon boyfriend and they'll be adorable

holy shit those are some DEPRESSING comments

Andrew Wood (Populuxe1)

I'm gay and I think this is getting ridiculous

Martin B. (mpasmith)

Why does every movie and TV show feel that a gay character is jmportant?

If it doesn't add anything to the story, its superfluous.

Only about 5-10 % of the population is gay, it makes no sense to have do many gay characters in popular entertainment.

I'm all for gay rights, but not for it being pushed on you at every turn. Like religion, it's a good idea to have freedom, but don't push it on everyone every chance you get .

Bryan C. (DarkZephyr)
I don't get why, if the actor is gay, the character has to be.. It's called acting for a reason. A lot of characters, especially in cartoons, sexuality isn't even really expressed. How many people thought Jo from Facts of Life was a closet lesbian, raise your hands? Was it ever stated or expressed? Did it have to be? Did it even matter what her sexuality was?

(the actor is straight)

Terry A. (HiLite)

Its funny how gay rights has been pushed to the for front and racial equality got dropped in the trash can. Before somebody says it being gay is not even in the same league as racism.

Bill Easter (Bill_Easter)

Guess I wont be taking the kids to see this one. Hope it flops in the theaters.

(I feel sorry for those kids. Not because they don't get to see the movie, but because their father is a waste of air.)

Lee W. (LeeDubb)
If people are gay thats fine, if you want to make cartoons about being gay thats fine, but why have a gay character in a cartoon that has nothing to do with homosexuality?

Mister Blackadder, you are in love with your manservant, Bob? May I prescribe leeches?

In all seriousness, though, there's nothing wrong~ If anything does arise, settle things in a diplomatic fashion~! If you like him, then it's worth doing so.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Thanks for the thoughts guys.

I'm willing to keep this going and wait until I hit an actual wall, as Rm88~ suggested, rather than cutting the cord based on presumptions. Even though it's not causing any immediate problems (yet?), It'll probably take a bit of effort on my part to suppress concerns about his religious inclination... espeically since it's been ingrained in his DNA. But to be fair, it is also partially responsible for his depth of character and humility which I'm attracted to.

RM8

One of the most stable relationships I know is between a mostly atheist man with some shinto/buddhist beliefs and a christian woman. His stance: IDGAF about your beliefs as long as you don't push them down my throat. To be fair she's not a hardcore believer or anything, I'm not sure if it's even okay for very christian people to marry people from other cultural/religious backgrounds.

I honestly can see Bailey's position, I think people whose lives revolve around religion can often present traits I don't want in a partner. But in your situation any possible disagreement has yet to happen, so really, just go through it and wait for things to develop :p

Vazduh

I'm not sure if relationship advice go in here, but I think I might need a second opinion on this.

Actually, the red flag that is the most concerning is the last one, with the potential clinginess. That's something that drove me away from one guy I met last year (a guy my friends set me up with) so I can really relate to that one. We went out on two dates and he already had plans for the next few weeks, which seriously freaked me out (among other things which felt like red flags to me). Of course, I ended it immediately after that.

But then again, if I had liked him enough, I would have simply told him to take it slow.

I guess in the end it all depends on how much you like the guy. If you really, really like him and think there could be something more between the two of you, then go for it, it all might turn out better than you expect. If not, then don't. I hope you work it out somehow, though, because aside from some red flags, that guy sounds nice.

Hey, if I can turn my jaded ramblings into an informative rant, I'm all for it!

Yeah, I mean a lot of people give money for both the engagement party AND wedding. Unless you want to pick something off of the gift registry. And wow, they used to read out gifts and dollar amounts during? That seems... like a breach of confidentiality or something... That brings Catholic guilt to a whole new level.

Well thank you! And same to you, sir. Yeah. Those plans are honestly so far down the pipeline that I don't have anything other than hazy generalities planned. Can't put the cart before the horse, after all!

I really enjoyed reading those jaded ramblings, so thank you for that :D

Yes, Catholic guilt indeed :D I'll never forget my cousin's wedding reception during which gifts were read out, it was ten years ago. When the guy who read them out loud got to my parents' gift, he made a really mean joke on their account (they gave less money than some of my cousin's friends because they couldn't afford it at the time), which was probably the most humiliating moment of their lives. Thankfully that stupid custom is no more.

And thank you! I hope both of us have stable long-term relationships eventually :)

Delio

So that guy I went down to houston to visit for a few days has kept in contact with me. We gave ourselves a month and we got over the "wanting to date" stuff. But at the same time I miss how he used to always want to talk to me 24/7. It's changed so dramatically now that it's just weird. Sigh the sooner I get back on the horse the better.

Koppai

So that guy I went down to houston to visit for a few days has kept in contact with me. We gave ourselves a month and we got over the "wanting to date" stuff. But at the same time I miss how he used to always want to talk to me 24/7. It's changed so dramatically now that it's just weird. Sigh the sooner I get back on the horse the better.

Aw don't give up boo! You will find your true sweetheart someday :)
(ALSO, you should tell me when you are in Houston so we can chill!)

So there's this university where I live (Trinity Western). And you can tell by the name obviously that it's Christian-based. Which is obviously fine. But they're thinking of opening up a law school within their university, and they're not allowing LGBT students into the program. I really hope the Law Society here doesn't approve it or let it fly at all, but it's a debate that's been going on for a while now and it just makes me really upset every time I hear about it. The Canadian charter does state freedom of religion, yes, but it also promotes the right to equality as well.. And they're totally okay with making a law school that's so blatantly unconstitutional ;_;

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
That irony. It's pretty sad. If you had posted something like that without telling me it's in Canada, I would've guessed Midwest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom