• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LGBThread |OT4| We're (still) Here! We're (still) Queer!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish I could actually help you with your problem, but I can only be here for you in the sense that I can listen to you and maybe give you a pointer or two if possible.

Having a crush on someone who's almost a complete enigma sucks
(I should know because I'm in such situation at the moment)
, so the only thing you can do is to take guesses. From these additional details it sounds like there might be some interest on his side, although it's hard to say whether it's strictly friendly or more than that. Physical contact would suggest the latter, especially if the guy's not touchy-feely with others, but you'll definitely need to spend more time with him, preferably one-on-one, so you can at least get him out of your head if it turns out he's not interested.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed he is, though, he'd be a fool to miss the perfection
pSlGFJ5.gif
pSlGFJ5.gif
pSlGFJ5.gif

Thanks for this sis <3

Despite what everyone claims, I don't find the matchmaking balanced. I understand that you (supposedly) only face people with objectively better decks than you if you are doing well. But I can't stand losing a game because my opponent has some deck that I can't compete with barring amazing luck on my part. I can be fine with losing, when I recognize my mistakes and can correct them. I can often spot my misplays in other card games. But I found that too often in Hearthstone I was losing and it was through no fault of my own. There was nothing I could have done X turns ago that would have had me in a better position to deal with some overpowered (relative to my common card only deck) cards.

I mean I understand there's Arena mode for a level playing field, but the slow grind to get money to do Arena was not worth it for me.
:l that sounds shitty and unfair, I'll try to keep playing tho because for some reason I really enjoy the game lol.

What is this bullcrap. You don't get 3 stars next to your name in this game after 3-star-ing everything!? WTF Nintendo :(

In exchange, it's far easier to 3-star a cup because the only requirement is to get 1st in each race.

I prefer the old way, though. I want my bragging rights. =(

Yes, I also 3-starred everything.

All this Mario Kart 8 talk is making me jealous. I actually have the game (pre-ordered it on sale a year ago), but I don't have a Wii U. :/

I hate derailing the thread with gaming talk, but I need suggestions on something new to play, something that's engrossing, addicting, and deep that will keep me busy and preoccupied from the ugliness that is gay hook up apps and the empty wasteland of my sex life.

I prefer portable. Consoles available to me: 3DS, Vita, PSP, NDS,

I think I've played every major release on 3DS. My gaming tastes lean towards JRPG's. To give you a sense of my tastes, my all time favorite games are: Zelda OoT/WW, SMTIV, Persona3/4, FFIX, 7, 4. MGS 3, Dissidia 012.

I do not like Pokemon, or Monster Hunter. If I have to grind I need some sort of plot to drive me.

scarlet

I hate derailing the thread with gaming talk, but I need suggestions on something new to play, something that's engrossing, addicting, and deep that will keep me busy and preoccupied from the ugliness that is gay hook up apps and the empty wasteland of my sex life.

I think I've played every major release on 3DS. My gaming tastes lean towards JRPG's. To give you a sense of my tastes, my all time favorite games are: Zelda OoT/WW, SMTIV, Persona3/4, FFIX, 7, 4. MGS 3, Dissidia 012.

I do not like Pokemon, or Monster Hunter. If I have to grind I need some sort of plot to drive me.

Fire Emblem: Awakening?

Have you already played Soul Hackers?

Vazduh

I wanted to ask you since that selfie post, are you feeling better? You seemed shaken after that bad experience. Btw, are you looking for hook-ups only or something more? Because after reading numerous posts here, I can only assume that if you're looking for something more... substantial, you probably won't find it there.

As for games, since I don't have any of those consoles, I suppose won't be of much help. You've probably played Chrono Trigger? I hope you have :D If by any chance you haven't, definitely play that, because it's a true classic, and I hear the DS version is the best one.

RM8

Not RPG, but you need to buy Mario Golf and join the Nintendo Fun Club today!

Unless you're afraid of my mighty Toadette and her mad golfing skills, that is :p

Ahasverus

I had a dream last night where I'd fallen in love with the most beautiful brown skinned man with blue eyes my mind could ever produce. What am I supposed to do now? Get deppressed because it was my imagination and such person doesn't even exist of course.

Screw you subconscicious :(

I had a dream last night where I'd fallen in love with the most beautiful brown skinned man with blue eyes my mind could ever produce. What am I supposed to do now? Get deppressed because it was my imagination and such person doesn't even exist of course.

Screw you subconscicious :(

Perhaps it could be a foreshadowing of your own future~?

It happened to me. No-one believes me, but still!

Goldrush

I got a fortune cookie in March that said "Someone from your past has returned to steal your heart." I'm giving it until September until I'll call BS.

I got a fortune cookie in March that said "Someone from your past has returned to steal your heart." I'm giving it until September until I'll call BS.

Well, I only trust my dreams, really. Because they come from me. And I am always correct. Not some fortune cookie. If it does happen before September though, it would be coincidence rather than fate. Or whatever.

Ahasverus

I actually had a tarot reading once and the guy told me a tall white green eyed "prince" would come to my life and show me the meaning of life, I laughed because at the time I had a brown (I don't know if that's the correct word to use, I mean brown in a "latino mixed" way) boyfriend. Well, fast forward 2 months and my 1 and half year boyfriend appeared. And yes, he was white tall and green eyed. Creepy.

RM8

I had a tarot reading once too. This lady brought relevant topics like my former girlfriends (lol) and my career in tourism (lol). I didn't correct anything because it was hilarious.

it would be coincidence rather than fate.
Why would your dreams be any different, though?

Fire Emblem: Awakening?
Loved it. Clocked in 88 hours.

Have you already played Soul Hackers?

I played a few hours, but I find it hasn't aged well at all, which is weird for me cuz I liked Persona 2 a lot.

I wanted to ask you since that selfie post, are you feeling better? You seemed shaken after that bad experience. Btw, are you looking for hook-ups only or something more? Because after reading numerous posts here, I can only assume that if you're looking for something more... substantial, you probably won't find it there.

As for games, since I don't have any of those consoles, I suppose won't be of much help. You've probably played Chrono Trigger? I hope you have :D If by any chance you haven't, definitely play that, because it's a true classic, and I hear the DS version is the best one.

I'm currently just looking for hook ups, but even then I'm not having much luck. I've even tried Grinr abd was called hideous by someone on there. :( Yeah, I have serious esteem issues.

Abd I have played abd beaten Chrono Triggger and Cross.

Vazduh

I'm currently just looking for hook ups, but even then I'm not having much luck. I've even tried Grinr abd was called hideous by someone on there. :( Yeah, I have serious esteem issues.

Abd I have played abd beaten Chrono Triggger and Cross.

Like most of the members here (back when you uploaded that selfie), I'm baffled as to why would anybody call you hideous when you're a great looking guy. That guy is a complete tool who's probably quite ugly on the inside, and you're better off without anyone like that. I do understand, though, why such words would hurt you, but you'll need to start working on those issues. Hook-ups will probably help a tiny bit, it'll be temporary. Whatever you do, I wish you the best of luck. Fingers crossed you find a premium-quality diq ASAP.

Preferably attached to someone worthwhile :D :D :D

All this leads me to my question for all you guys and gals here, I hope you don't mind me asking. How confident or insecure are you? It would probably be very wrong of me if I'd say it for all the guys here, but most of the gay guys I've interacted with were insecure about themselves, some more, some less. I also have my self-esteem issues, although it depends on the situation.

Ahasverus

All this leads me to my question for all you guys and gals here, I hope you don't mind me asking. How confident or insecure are you?

Physically insecure but socially confident. I have lots of body image issues, but I know that even if I see myself ugly I don't have problem getting someone to like me.

mantidor

I'm surprisingly confident given my meh status physically and overall personality.

That does not mean I'm super confident, and I've always been an introvert, but I try my best to gather courage and talk to people, even with people out of my league.

Like most of the members here (back when you uploaded that selfie), I'm baffled as to why would anybody call you hideous when you're a great looking guy. That guy is a complete tool who's probably quite ugly on the inside, and you're better off without anyone like that. I do understand, though, why such words would hurt you, but you'll need to start working on those issues. Hook-ups will probably help a tiny bit, it'll be temporary. Whatever you do, I wish you the best of luck. Fingers crossed you find a premium-quality diq ASAP.

Preferably attached to someone worthwhile :D :D :D

All this leads me to my question for all you guys and gals here, I hope you don't mind me asking. How confident or insecure are you? It would probably be very wrong of me if I'd say it for all the guys here, but most of the gay guys I've interacted with were insecure about themselves, some more, some less. I also have my self-esteem issues, although it depends on the situation.

It took me a looong time to shed my insecurities and it happened by exposing myself more and more to the source of that low self-esteem, which were the generally "popular" pretty gay people at the bars and such. I would see them out and about in their tanktops being social butterflies and it made me feel like I had to fix things about myself in order to match what they were doing. When everyone's checking for everyone, you feel uncomfortable for being objectified, but in order to fit in you WANT to be objectified. Because of it you run through a checklist all the time of like "okay do I have abs/ do I look good in a tank/ is my hair nice/ am I standing up straight/ do I make good conversation/ are they complimenting me when I walk away" and you end up playing this fabricated game that everyone AND no one created.

What I try to remind myself of is that this sociological "game" really does become defunct when you just try to be as much of the real you as possible to people. When you're being yourself and you're wearing it confidently (by not thinking about your self-esteem), you may not realize that you're shifting the sociology in your favor. If I'm being completely myself at a social gathering (i.e. making fisting jokes way too often, just being a goofy ass mess), whatever thoughts or judgments people might have about me seem to become irrelevant, because if I'm not humoring those thoughts or judgements, then I'm not affected. And if I'm not affected, then my self-esteem stays healthy. I've realized that if I use my insecurities to make myself a little different from how I really am, then all those people I'm trying to impress are eventually going to see me snort when I laugh, or hunch over, and the facade eventually won't be worth it. Take a look at me as I am in reality; if you like it, then great. If you don't and I really do need more positive reinforcement from everyone else, then I'll look at how I'm coming off and what I can change about myself in a constructive way (like being nicer, more open, etc.).

On Sunday I came home to realize that the back of my shorts were completely ripped down the middle, and my ass was pretty much out. I was at Target, Gamestop, Best Buy, my parents', at a gas station, all with my ass out. I don't know HOW I didn't feel some kind of breeze at least once that entire day, but finding out about it after the fact made me feel super embarrassed at first. "Who saw me? Were they all laughing at me the entire time? Surely my parents didn't notice or they would have said something right?" Then I thought about how I had a pimple on my arm and was hoping that nobody would notice it all day. I'm sure nobody noticed, but I'm also most of them noticed the ripped shorts and probably had a laugh about it. The point is that insecurity only exists when you consciously try to keep it alive. If you're just existing and operating with a blissful unawareness of whatever shortcomings do exist (like my ass cheeks making a public debut) then whatever comments, insults (compliments?) or laughs others had about you never really mattered. It's hard to always operate by this mode (since I WAS embarrassed when I got home), but I try to keep that in mind whenever my insecurities try to get the best of me.

I was wearing nice underwear though. I'm assuming nobody said anything because they liked it tbh

RM8

I'm fairly good at approaching people / socializing, but it'd be an understatement to say I'm insecure while dating :x

For me Ive got terrible self esteem to the point of loathing. I've always been low about myself. Despite what I may project outwardly, inside I've got serious body image issue. About a year ago I decided to start hitting the gym abd lift and serious weigh training. I go to the gym 4-5 times a week. I've gained 16 lbs. and even though I've gotten stronger I look in the mirror and still see a skinny kid with a fat gut and flat chest. Doesn't help that guys online haven't been receptive to me. But that's another issue, where I crave and need validation from others to feel a measure of self worth. I know it's fucked up. I'm so unhappy with my progress that I'm seriously considering going on a 12 week cycle of steroids.

mantidor

For me Ive got terrible self esteem to the point of loathing. I've always been low about myself. Despite what I may project outwardly, inside I've got serious body image issue. About a year ago I decided to start hitting the gym abd lift and serious weigh training. I go to the gym 4-5 times a week. I've gained 16 lbs. and even though I've gotten stronger I look in the mirror and still see a skinny kid with a fat gut and flat chest. Doesn't help that guys online haven't been receptive to me. But that's another issue, where I crave and need validation from others to feel a measure of self worth. I know it's fucked up. I'm so unhappy with my progress that I'm seriously considering going on a 12 week cycle of steroids.

:( That is terrible to hear.

DO NOT do steroids please. You look fine... I don't know I'm far from expert in body image problems :( if I may, have you consider therapy or something on that line? I think is certainly better than the stereoid path... probably even cheaper, I don't know.

Kater

Banned
Just saw the first pictures from Ben Affleck in the the Batman suit. So hot! :3
Didn't think I'd ever say that about Affleck. Maybe it's because the mask covers most of his face. Probably that. /end of my rambling

The Bat Mobile is also good-looking.

daripad

What did you have to bring this topic here? :(

I think I'm the worst person in the world in terms of self esteem. I try to be confident and I can be, for a while, but then subconciously I start insinating that I'm bad person, good for nothing, not valuable, not good looking, etc and then I feel horrible and start feeling so bad that I just prefer to lie in my room alone. It had affected the time that I use for studying and doing other stuff, because I know that if I do those things I'd still not be the best at it. I don't know why I have this obsession with being the best, when reasonably we shouldn't be aiming that high, but I just can't feel well when I'm second to someone when I know I made the effort.

In terms of my physical appereance is even worse. I remained oblivious of it when I was in high school, but once I got into university I started being aware of it. By that time I was obese and began thinking about how disastrous I looked and needed to lose the weight due to how it affected my social interactions and I looked unprofessional. I did it, but started gaining weight back this year. The weight is not a big problem as it used to be, but it is still an obsession. I don't blame myself as much for the weight but I started doing other things, like looking myself at every mirror just to see how big mu gut looks, compare myself with other people on the size of it, weigh myself everyday, etc. The bigger problem now is that I started not being happy with my entire body. For example every person that I look at and observe that is taller than me I begin to shake a little because I could have been taller just like that person, etc. Even when I'm with friends I try to look at everything that reflects images and see if I look taller than my friends. I don't know how this height thing started but I'm getting tired of doing it, but keep doing it. My face is another problem. I already know that I'm not a good looking person and I obviously can't change that, but once in a while I look at cute guys and think why I am not as handsome as them, why I got this facial features and more. It doesn't help that I don't get physical compliments, even when I lost weight few people told me how nice I looked, most of the comments were "oh, are you sick?", "you look cadaveric". And when I take pics with people, I feel that I'm always the worst looking person there.

It's a never ending thing and I'm aware of it so I try to think that I'm fine, but there is something inside of me saying otherwise, that I'm terrible and I just can't silence it. :( I know what you feel SpaceBridge, but I feel that steroids won't help in your situation. Try to keep working out and you'll naturally get what you want. Remember that your age is a factor, so to get where you want it will be a looong ride for you because IIRC you are in your late 20's.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
I am fairly insecure, but in public I try to put that away as much as possible, to lower my anxieties.

I'm an odd case, because I think I have some schizoid-like behaviors. I think people think I'm just shy, but really I have no will to talk with others.

For me Ive got terrible self esteem to the point of loathing. I've always been low about myself. . . . I'm so unhappy with my progress that I'm seriously considering going on a 12 week cycle of steroids.
You have to listen to the things you're saying. You're willing to take drugs that can alter you in many negative ways, just to look better.

The reality is that someone like you, with extreme body confidence issues will never be happy about his body. That means, that as soon as you hit steroids, you'll see something else that you "need to fix" and then something else and on and on. That will continue forever. Yet, you remain miserable and unhappy.

Therapy is really the only path to get you out of that loop.

Vazduh

I have to ask you: do you want to expand your muscle mass because of you, or because of the others? Who are you doing that for, actually? 'Cause if it's for the others, you may as well give up right now, for even if you had arms the size of a rocket launcher, it wouldn't change who you are on the inside.

The thing is, you admitted it yourself that even with all the improvements (and like me and others said earlier, you don't look good, you look amazing), you still see something that actually isn't there. And you'll still see it, until you start changing yourself from the inside, that is, until you start loving yourself.

I went through a very hard period ten years ago, but I won't go into detail because I don't want to make this about myself. All I can say is that I can relate to having body image issues, and it's hard when you stare at yourself in the mirror and you literally see something that's not there, that's not real. That sort of thing never goes away, but it is possible to learn to deal with it, which comes naturally after you start accepting yourself for who you are. If it's necessary to undergo therapy, then do so, and I suggest so, your mental health is at stake. I went through that ten years ago and even if it took me about a year and half of meds and therapy, I'm happy I did it, because otherwise I'd probably be dead.

You're obviously a beautiful, smart and kind person. So please take care of yourself, because no one else can do it for you.

As for the steroids, just... don't. Although you may expand your muscle mass faster with those, you should be aware of the possible unwanted psychological effects. I had a friend once (emphasis on had) who was obsessed with having bigger muscles, even though he already had an incredible body. His personal trainer got him steroids, and I swear, soon after that the guy turned into the most vile person I've ever met. I can't describe the sudden change in the personality from the sweetest guy ever to the misogynistic, racist, xenophobic monster of a person. At first I even thought someone hacked into his account, but nope. It was all him. Even with my usually limitless patience, I had to drop his ass.

What did you have to bring this topic here? :(

I think I'm the worst person in the world in terms of self esteem. I try to be confident and I can be, for a while, but then subconciously I start insinating that I'm bad person, good for nothing, not valuable, not good looking, etc and then I feel horrible and start feeling so bad that I just prefer to lie in my room alone. It had affected the time that I use for studying and doing other stuff, because I know that if I do those things I'd still not be the best at it. I don't know why I have this obsession with being the best, when reasonably we shouldn't be aiming that high, but I just can't feel well when I'm second to someone when I know I made the effort.

In terms of my physical appereance is even worse. I remained oblivious of it when I was in high school, but once I got into university I started being aware of it. By that time I was obese and began thinking about how disastrous I looked and needed to lose the weight due to how it affected my social interactions and I looked unprofessional. I did it, but started gaining weight back this year. The weight is not a big problem as it used to be, but it is still an obsession. I don't blame myself as much for the weight but I started doing other things, like looking myself at every mirror just to see how big mu gut looks, compare myself with other people on the size of it, weigh myself everyday, etc. The bigger problem now is that I started not being happy with my entire body. For example every person that I look at and observe that is taller than me I begin to shake a little because I could have been taller just like that person, etc. Even when I'm with friends I try to look at everything that reflects images and see if I look taller than my friends. I don't know how this height thing started but I'm getting tired of doing it, but keep doing it. My face is another problem. I already know that I'm not a good looking person and I obviously can't change that, but once in a while I look at cute guys and think why I am not as handsome as them, why I got this facial features and more. It doesn't help that I don't get physical compliments, even when I lost weight few people told me how nice I looked, most of the comments were "oh, are you sick?", "you look cadaveric". And when I take pics with people, I feel that I'm always the worst looking person there.

It's a never ending thing and I'm aware of it so I try to think that I'm fine, but there is something inside of me saying otherwise, that I'm terrible and I just can't silence it. :( I know what you feel SpaceBridge, but I feel that steroids won't help in your situation. Try to keep working out and you'll naturally get what you want. Remember that your age is a factor, so to get where you want it will be a looong ride for you because IIRC you are in your late 20's.

Oh, daripad! :/ The thing is, if you're so insecure about yourself, then no matter how good you look, it will show on the outside, that's the problem. That's also directly related to those compliments you want so much. The irony in that is that you will get those compliments when you need them the least, that is, when you gain enough self-confidence, which is one of the qualities that attracts other people.

Have you ever been to a psychologist? Maybe it would help you kind of focus on improving your self-esteem? Like SpaceBridge, it sounds like you don't love yourself at all, and of course, that would affect literally every other area of your life. Every insecurity can be crippling, but if you think you're practically worthless, how can you even function properly?

RM8

@SpaceBridge: Putting aside the fact that risking your health in exchange of not guaranteed Grindr approval is not a great idea... you do know stereoids can have really nasty side effects, right? Not only health-related, but also looks-related. Just imagine how you'd feel if you busted your looks instead of "fixing" them when there was nothing to fix in the first place. You do agree that it's your unhealthy validation-seeking behavior what you should be fixing, right?

I understand the health risks, but unless you are a long term user, the risks are minimal. Many guys at gym use them, I have two friends who currently cycle and they don't seem to behave any differebt other than an obsession with their body (which I already posess). Infact many Celebraties (like Ben Affleck mentioned earlier, or Hugh Jackman) use performance enhancing drugs to bulk up. Many gay porn stars (which we ourselves in idolize) use them. Theres a body image that gay mean idolize and hold up as the standard ( muscled physique, hairy chest, broad shoulders, bearded) and sadly I can't get there naturally. A lot of guys have cycled at least once if not twice to get that boost.

That being said, I know my problems lie deeper. But maybe then I won't be told so often that I'm not muscular, big or good enough by others. Ugh. I dunno.

RM8

Theres a body image that gay mean idolize and hold up as the standard ( muscled physique, hairy chest, broad shoulders, bearded) and sadly I can't get there naturally.
I'm (very) skinny and beardless, and yet I don't have deep insecurities* like what you describe :( What I mean is, your body is not the issue here.

*I do have insecurities as I mentioned earlier, but I think they are within the range of what's normal :p

That being said, I know my problems lie deeper.
Precisely.

But maybe then I won't be told so often that I'm not muscular, big or good enough by others. Ugh. I dunno.
How do you know this? Again, being bigger doesn't really guarantee total Grindr approval. Heck, you could now encounter the "eww too big" crowd. You're stubborn to realize shallow people on hook up apps don't get to dictate your value. It doesn't matter if you feel like that as a result of your insecurities, the first step would be accepting this is not true.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
My favorite line to repeat: Go to a therapist!

Nothing you said in your previous post validates the reason you want to use steroids.

daripad

Vazduh said:
Oh, daripad! :/ The thing is, if you're so insecure about yourself, then no matter how good you look, it will show on the outside, that's the problem. That's also directly related to those compliments you want so much. The irony in that is that you will get those compliments when you need them the least, that is, when you gain enough self-confidence, which is one of the qualities that attracts other people.

Have you ever been to a psychologist? Maybe it would help you kind of focus on improving your self-esteem? Like SpaceBridge, it sounds like you don't love yourself at all, and of course, that would affect literally every other area of your life. Every insecurity can be crippling, but if you think you're practically worthless, how can you even function properly?

I haven't gone to a psychologist and really don't want to because my father would know that I have problems and he is not a comprehensible person and I really don't want him to know about aaaaall of my problems (and it includes my homosexuality).

I'm trying to improve this things myself and I think it has not worked that well butI feel there has been an improvement, enough to keep me sane.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom