• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LGBThread |OT4| We're (still) Here! We're (still) Queer!

Status
Not open for further replies.

red13th

My sister is in a hospital and she will probably be dead by tomorrow evening because they will turn off the machines by then. She is in Germany though so there is no way that I get there to see her a last time.

:/

543769_2311371270208285kff.jpg

Here's a photo of her from a year ago.
She was a huge inspiration to me because she endured a long life full of discrimination. She was also queer and fully embraced that, made it part of her personality. She also had dwarfism and she was able to live with that too.

That is so sad, I'm sorry. My sentiments.

Aww man, El_Gato, that really really sucks.
Thankfully I've never had to experience loss from someone close to me yet but you have my utmost sympathies for what's going on. I'd never want to go through what you're going through.

Also, I haven't been privvy to the entire ordeal but what's going on with your sister Gato?

Kater

Banned
Aww man, El_Gato, that really really sucks.
Thankfully I've never had to experience loss from someone close to me yet but you have my utmost sympathies for what's going on. I'd never want to go through what you're going through.

Also, I haven't been privvy to the entire ordeal but what's going on with your sister Gato?

Her organs are failing, as I have been told on the phone by my mother. She also has COPD and Asthma which in addition makes everything even worse.

Thanks for all your nice words, people!

Edit: And thank you as well, Bo. For the virtual hug and your offer.

Bladenic

My sister is in a hospital and she will probably be dead by tomorrow evening because they will turn off the machines by then. She is in Germany though so there is no way that I get there to see her a last time.

She was a huge inspiration to me because she endured a long life full of discrimination. She was also queer and fully embraced that, made it part of her personality. She also had dwarfism and she was able to live with that too.

I'm so sorry :( my condolences.

So last night I got incredibly drunk and was about to hook up with a guy I've hung out with a few times. I ended up getting whiskey dick, which was actually a blessing in disguise because he wanted to forego using a condom and I was drunk enough to go with it. Thank God for being too drunk to fuck (in this case).

Kinsei

Banned

My thoughts are with you and your sister.

Kater

Banned
Thank you, Masquerader, Vazduh, Bladenic and Kinsei!

What is really strange is that I don't feel anything in particular. I realize that her death will mean that we will never again talk with each other which is not a good prospect. But I have no real definitive emotional response to that.
It's weird.

Thank you, Masquerader and Vazduh!

What is really strange is that I don't feel anything in particular. I realize that her death will mean that we will never again talk with each other which is not a good prospect. But I have no real definitive emotional response to that.
It's weird.

... Hmm. I can entirely relate to that. A while back (not too long ago, mind), my great aunt passed away. I did not feel that much up until she passed away, mind. And I did know that it was coming. But afterwards, urgh. I felt so sick. I'll never meet anyone as intelligent and wise as her again, never mind actually talking to someone such as her again.

Still... I must warn you... It'll feel awful after it's over... Sorry, but that's the way it goes. Be glad that you cared for her, and vice-versa.

Kater

Banned
... Hmm. I can entirely relate to that. A while back (not too long ago, mind), my great aunt passed away. I did not feel that much up until she passed away, mind. And I did know that it was coming. But afterwards, urgh. I felt so sick. I'll never meet anyone as intelligent and wise as her again, never mind actually talking to someone such as her again.

Still... I must warn you... It'll feel awful after it's over... Sorry, but that's the way it goes. Be glad that you cared for her, and vice-versa.

That's why I couldn't give my mother a definitive answer on if I would drive with them to Germany for the funeral. I don't know how I will react.

Oh, and just to clarify why she lives in Germany. She's the biological daughter of my father and another women. She lived a long time with my aunt though because after my father got divorced from her mother she was in a terrible situation since her mother did not care for her properly. She then got adopted by my aunt, the sister of my father. That's why I know her so well since we visited my aunt, uncle and grandmother a lot when I was a small kid through until I was fifteen and she came to visit my family in Austria on some occasions. We only started to get into contact last year (so around 6 years that we had the last time contact)

That's why I couldn't give my mother a definitive answer on if I would drive with them to Germany for the funeral. I don't know how I will react.

... Go with them anyway. Whether or not you're reacting in a certain manner, you could certainly help someone else through the inevitably very difficult period.

Kinsei

Banned

Oh, and just to clarify why she lives in Germany. She's the biological daughter of my father and another women. She lived a long time with my aunt though because after my father got divorced from her mother she was in a terrible situation since her mother did not care for her properly. She then got adopted by my aunt, the sister of my father. That's why I know her so well since we visited my aunt, uncle and grandmother a lot when I was a small kid through until I was fifteen and she came to visit my family in Austria on some occasions. We only started to get into contact last year (so around 6 years that we had the last time contact)

I think you should go with them. If you don't go you could end up regretting it for the rest of your life.

Kater

Banned
Thank you, Achtius and Rm88!

... Go with them anyway. Whether or not you're reacting in a certain manner, you could certainly help someone else through the inevitably very difficult period.

I think you should go with them. If you don't go you could end up regretting it for the rest of your life.

I hope I can bring myself to this decision in time to drive with them. It doesn't help that I'm already very instabile, emotionally and psychologically.

Thank you both for your nice words and advice, YoungBlade and ShironRedshift!

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
It's weird.

It's like this when you lose relatives who are distant from you, either physically or emotionally.

Sometimes it hits you later and sometimes it doesn't. I don't know how close you are with her but the fact that you're an ocean away is probably contributing to the lack of feeling.

Regardless, my sympathies, she sounds like an amazingly strong person. I have my own bag of physical issues to deal with, so I know what it feels like to be marginalized for the way you were born, and I respect anyone who can stay sane in that situation.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
From another book ("A Natural History of Homosexualisty"):

Solon was also writing about "desiring his thighs and his delicious mouth".

So gay men in ancient Greece didn't have oral or anal sex? They just slid their dicks in between another dude's thighs? WTF

That can't be true...

Dunno, maybe "thighs" really were universally used as a euphemism for "ass"

That has to be the case.

All sources (what was left of ancient Greek's art and literature) as we know them suggest intercrural sex only.

WTF

In case anyone was wondering, it went well.

Glad to hear it man. You made the right call by not telling him that you have a crush on him.

not going to make jokes here again because reasons

Nah daripad, you're cool. Everyone in this thread knows you and knows you wouldn't say something intentionally hurtful. Don't stop being yourself for the fear that someone might be offended. At least, no more than you usually do.

My sister is in a hospital and she will probably be dead by tomorrow evening because they will turn off the machines by then.

oh no :(

So sorry to hear that El Gato. Feel free to pm me if you want to talk.

Mr_Zombie

Sorry to hear that El_Gato.

But even if you don't feel sad right now, or don't know how you will feel, I think you should go to Germany, to be there during your sister's funeral. If you miss the it, you might regret it one day. Also, think about that as saying a last "goodbye" to your sister.

Kater

Banned
It's like this when you lose relatives who are distant from you, either physically or emotionally.

Sometimes it hits you later and sometimes it doesn't. I don't know how close you are with her but the fact that you're an ocean away is probably contributing to the lack of feeling.

Regardless, my sympathies, she sounds like an amazingly strong person. I have my own bag of physical issues to deal with, so I know what it feels like to be marginalized for the way you were born, and I respect anyone who can stay sane in that situation.
An ocean away? Oh, no I live in Austria.
It's around 700 kilometers from where I live.

And thanks for your post and advice, Haly. :)
-snip-
oh no :(

So sorry to hear that El Gato. Feel free to pm me if you want to talk.

Thank you for your post Ratsky, it helps a lot. And thank you for the offer. :)

Sorry to hear that El_Gato.

But even if you don't feel sad right now, or don't know how you will feel, I think you should go to Germany, to be there during your sister's funeral. If you miss the it, you might regret it one day. Also, think about that as saying a last "goodbye" to your sister.

They will probably burn the body so I won't really see her. The most I will see is an urn.
But you are right. I will remember your advice.

Thank you for your post! :)

Haly

An ocean away? Oh, no I live in Austria.
It's around 700 kilometers from where I live.

And thanks for your post and advice, Haly. :)

Damn me and my American-centrism.

I blame our education system. I'm a product, A SYMPTOM!

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
Wow guys, I've got a good one. I have mentioned before that I apparently look "gay" and that I have been made aware of that over the course of my life (I'm not).

So I just went to a bar before the USA match, and it's a dive bar, there was a pool "tournament" going on (like 10 people in cut off t shirts), it's in a dusty little corner in South Carolina, but it's the only bar close to me. So one of the bartenders seems to recognize me (I have only been there a handful of times, not in months), he's friendly (bless his heart) and after a minute he comes over and says, "Hey, I remember you, you been in here before?" "Yeah, a while ago," I answer. "Yeah, aren't you the guy that I mistook.... you know... for that faggot that would come in here?"

Wow. Nice. Classy. The first time I had an extended stay at this bar, they did end up asking me (giggling like school girls) if I was gay. I laughed it off and said no, because here you kind of have to put up with that kind of thing. I guess one other time that I was in there this bartender had also mistook me for a different guy, who was gay, who had been in there before.

So I say, amicably, "No, I'm not gay, I think I remember when you mistook me for another gay guy, but I'm not him, lol." I'm hoping that my use of "gay" will discourage him from using the word "faggot," but he comes right back at me with, "Haha yeah I remember now, I mistook you this faggot, I knew you weren't him, but I mistook you for some faggot."

Laughs all around. I tried to laugh it off and kill the conversation because due to blue laws I would have to drive another 15 minutes to be able to have a beer. But seriously. This guy was missing like 3 front teeth and talking to me about faggots. I just wanted to have a beer, not lose my faith in human progress :(

(of course they already probably figured I was gay since I was wearing my US soccer shirt lol)

RM8

Wow, what an idiot. How on earth does one arrive to the conclusion that it's okay to say that to anyone, gay or otherwise?

scarlet

:(

hugsies

Haly

It might be my paranoia acting up, but I get the impression that he was actually baiting you, once he saw you pointedly use "gay" when he used "faggot".

Stay safe!

daripad

Soccer has never been popular over here. The three big sports that are popular over here are American Football, Basketball, and Baseball. Baseball used to be the most popular but has fallen in popularity over the past 30 years or so.

Well, baseball is boring, it deserves to not be popular :p

Still don't understand why soccer means gay

Haly

Physical sports is mostly tribalism, people actually play D I G I T A L S P O R T S.

Well, baseball is boring, it deserves to not be popular :p

Still don't understand why soccer means gay

Baseball's falling from popularity can probably boiled down to bad marketing. The NFL and the NBA both knew how to market their product to keep them within the mainstream consciousness. The MLB took that for granted and let the other 2 pass it by.

Kangi

First episode of season seven of Wipeout was won by a pair of Asian male model brothers.

Now those are contestants I can root for.

Haly

that's kinda.....racist.

it's okay, i hate most korean teams too

Aren't Koreans the only people who play League in an interesting way? That's what I learned from my drive-by trolls.

EU and NA is just
residentsleeper.png
residentsleeper.png
residentsleeper.png

The only reason people hate China doto is because 70 minute games happen regularly.

residentsleeper.png

Aren't Koreans the only people who play League in an interesting way? That's what I learned from my drive-by trolls.

EU and NA is just
residentsleeper.png
residentsleeper.png
residentsleeper.png

The only reason people hate China doto is because 70 minute games happen regularly.

residentsleeper.png

I'm a bit curious. How does that happen? Everyone has the exact same game, so how is the Chinese meta so different?

Haly

I'm a bit curious. How does that happen? Everyone has the exact same game, so how is the Chinese meta so different?

It's a cultural thing. It sounds silly but it's true. Chinese players tend to be very disciplined and methodical. If given the choice between safe, steady, incremental advantages, and going for high-risk, high-reward plays, they will usually choose the former. This is just a fact of Chinese DOTA. Whether it arises from Chinese culture, or from somewhere else, is anyone's guess.

They dominated DotA for years because of their disciplined play, until Icefrog hit that magical point in balance where aggressive play had as much to offer as defensive play, and gave defensive play more weaknesses. Come TI1, China was unable to handle the hyper-aggression that characterized EU DOTA, and crumbled, losing the DOTA crown to Europe. When iG won TI2, it was because they were one of the first Chinese teams to adapt to the new, more balanced (when it comes to aggressiveness and defensiveness) meta.

Now pretty much any Chinese team worth its salt can do aggression, like IG, Newbee, Titan and DK. However, China DOTA is still very in touch with its roots, because the exact qualities that make Chinese teams strong naturally lend themselves to defensive play. If a Chinese team decides they want to force a 90 minute game, the other side is more than ready to oblige.

An oversimplification of DOTA culture by region:

EU: Aggressive, flashy, high-risk
China: Efficient, methodical, disciplined
SEA: Aggressive, unorthodox
NA: Shit players in general

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom